Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,995 members, 7,814,393 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:13 PM

The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There (62122 Views)

Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by somegirl1: 12:51pm On May 15, 2015
macof:

why don't you face me directly? ever since I asked for proof to ur ridiculous claims you've been hating on me grin is such proof of the name of the geneticis that discovered Euriasian gene in Yoruba so hard to furnish? btw you keep saying I know nothing of the Igbo Apparently I know better than you - who claims Hebrew origin of the Igbo without evidence or any sort of compelling proof just wishful thinking

I love culture and history that includes the Igbo's so this quite different from the case of somegirl1 who doesn't care about the yoruba yet comments on what she knows nothing about calling it insane myth

how can one appreciate what he doesn't understand or wish to understand?

I actually commented on what I do know unless you're denying your oduduwa myth.
I only ever click on yoruba threads to see if there are as many Igbo trolls in your threads as the yoruba ones that infest Igbo threads. I'm usually pleased to find that Igbo trolls are relatively few.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 12:59pm On May 15, 2015
walexy30:

I always enjoy your arguments. Are you a lawyer?

nt yet sir
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Chigold101(m): 1:40pm On May 15, 2015
ANAMBRA11:
shatap mumu yorubas want to be igbo more than vice versa, in lagos most good looking yoruba girls re being called omo ibo
correct guy... Nyfine girl or person is always called Om Igbo... I still wonder why.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Chigold101(m): 1:46pm On May 15, 2015
riddler4real i dont think the op said that oduduwa came from the east. He said he overthrew the so called original dwellers & took over the place.

As a student of history, i think you should go through all those sources & books they have been quoting in this post. It will help in giving you a wider view & understanding of what really happend.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ihuomadinihu: 4:28pm On May 15, 2015
macof:

did I ever tell you anything like igbo came from here or there to suggest me claiming an authority, it's you claiming an authority on Igbo and yoruba. .I asked simply for proof of your claims if you can't then you have nothing to say
Igbo history is part of world History, everybody can ask questions and contribute, if you were not aware be so now
you were the one that brought up hebrews here, the person you were even quoting showed little interest in what you were talking about

grin grin grin pls don't insult yourself with the bold again
I should be asking you to provide academic backup for such claims
but that would be a waste of time, as the very Ugbo people are known today as the Ilaje
I'd like to see you prove that the Ilaje aren't the Ugbos bt the Igbo of SE Nigeria are
Lol,am not on nairaland to please anyone. I saw you defensive and spiteful responses to her claming she knows nothing about yoruba. I mentioned it was a familiar habit of yours,where you free to garivant on non yoruba issues which you know nothing about. And the moment someone talks about your culture,she or he is labelled a dunce. Just like you sleep on Igbo threads,let Igbos also sleep on this one without calling them ignorant.
Igbo is world history,yes! But i far as i know you've only been a troll on igbo threads,contributing more confusion than solution.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ihuomadinihu: 4:37pm On May 15, 2015
walexy30:

so long i have enough knowlegde about them.
That's fair enough. Not when the individual is intent on trolling,disapproving and derailing threads because it's a bit different from what he/she believes. I know we are seeking for answers,but it's wrong to be divisive when one has absolutely no idea of what the natives are discussing or trying to dissect.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 6:12pm On May 15, 2015
Ihuomadinihu:

Lol,am not on nairaland to please anyone. I saw you defensive and spiteful responses to her claming she knows nothing about yoruba. I mentioned it was a familiar habit of yours,where you free to garivant on non yoruba issues which you know nothing about. And the moment someone talks about your culture,she or he is labelled a dunce. Just like you sleep on Igbo threads,let Igbos also sleep on this one without calling them ignorant.
Igbo is world history,yes! But i far as i know you've only been a troll on igbo threads,contributing more confusion than solution.

pls we have aaddressed this... move on if you have something else to say rather than going in circles

the person you are defending already admitted her ignorance and lack of interest on yoruba matters. .. whereas I have much interest in Igbo matters
as to me being a troll,I can only say you don't know far enough

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ihuomadinihu: 6:20pm On May 15, 2015
macof:

pls we have aaddressed this... move on if you have something else to say rather than going in circles

the person you are defending already admitted her ignorance and lack of interest on yoruba matters. .. whereas I have much interest in Igbo matters
as to me being a troll,I can only say you don't know far enough
Circles or truth? Hahaha.
Anyway,a popular igbo motto states 'Live and let live'. Don't go around calling people ignorant when you are guilty of same!
Still waiting for a reasonable contribution on igbo threads....till then.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by nisai: 3:48pm On May 16, 2015
lezz:
You seem more hurt than the people against whom your anger is directed.

All this literary drama of strong emotions for just an article of who settled where first....

If you are Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa or any other Nigerian tribe, I am sorry to inform you that we are bound to stick together like stink on shiit. That's our fate and our strength. You should know that if you aren't putting on tribal blinders.

But we can avoid making it our biggest weakness too.

If not for the great diversities and ethnic varieties of great peoples that call Nigeria home, we just might have been one insignificant West African country.

[b]
I save my venom for foreigners on NL talking crap about Naija, never with a man who share a common history with me.
That' wise of u my brother.I have been following u on nairaland and i can tell your last paragraph is the truth.You have been my hero when it comes to whooping the southies and ghanaians asses.Permit me to say this-You are a patriot.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Pharoh: 7:24am On May 17, 2015
Radoillo:
Even the most ridiculous-sounding oral tradition often contains a kernel of historical truth. The historian needs only understand that the language of oral traditions could be highly poetic, allegorical and symbolic. Then begins the work of decoding and interpretation.

This is very true.

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by lezz(m): 10:50am On May 17, 2015
nisai:
That' wise of u my brother.I have been following u on nairaland and i can tell your last paragraph is the truth.You have been my hero when it comes to whooping the southies and ghanaians asses.Permit me to say this-You are a patriot.
Thanks Bro!!! most Nigerians just don't know what destiny and providence has bequeathed on Nigeria. It is a frightening and amazing responsibility and influence for the entire continent. South african government understands this more than Nigerians. Ghanaians are historically jealous with misplaced pride.

that is why i do not take part in tribal wars anywhere. it serves no purpose and WE REALLY CANNOT BREAK UP ANYMORE.

the united states of America has been the military, cultural, entertainment , sports and economic super power for decades now because of her cultural diversity and population.

if our government follow the right part, we have the diversity and human resources to be the most feared and prosperous country not only in Africa but among the top 10 countries in the world.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by donodion(m): 11:57am On May 17, 2015
lezz:
You seem more hurt than the people against whom your anger is directed.

All this literary drama of strong emotions for just an article of who settled where first....

If you are Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa or any other Nigerian tribe, I am sorry to inform you that we are bound to stick together like stink on shiit. That's our fate and our strength. You should know that if you aren't putting on tribal blinders.

But we can avoid making it our biggest weakness too.

If not for the great diversities and ethnic varieties of great peoples that call Nigeria home, we just might have been one insignificant West African country.

I save my venom for foreigners on NL talking crap about Naija, never with a man who share a common history with me.

And here's a bruv.Big ups...Naija 4 Life!!!

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by nisai: 8:34pm On May 17, 2015
lezz:
Thanks Bro!!! most Nigerians just don't know what destiny and providence has bequeathed on Nigeria. It is a frightening and amazing responsibility and influence for the entire continent. South african government understands this more than Nigerians. Ghanaians are historically jealous with misplaced pride.

that is why i do not take part in tribal wars anywhere. it serves no purpose and WE REALLY CANNOT BREAK UP ANYMORE.

the united states of America has been the military, cultural, entertainment , sports and economic super power for decades now because of her cultural diversity and population.

if our government follow the right part, we have the diversity and human resources to be the most feared and prosperous country not only in Africa but among the top 10 countries in the world.
You nailed it! I wish the people singing secession could assimilate this as well.Thanks for the reply.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 11:56pm On May 18, 2015
nisai:
You nailed it! I wish the people singing secession could assimilate this as well.Thanks for the reply.

please mention 10 things that work in Nigeria?
mention 10 things that each of the 8 largest ethnic groups have gained in Nigeria
mention 10 things that make Nigerians happy people

keep deceiving yourself...Africans are cursed to be unhappy and underdeveloped until we control our destiny and stop living like some Brits and French ordained us to live

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Syogbe(m): 5:34pm On Aug 19, 2015
http://www.ngrguardiannews.com/2015/08/ugbo-ilajes-place-in-yoruba-history-by-oba-akinruntan/
Ugbo-Ilaje’s place in Yoruba history, by Oba Akinruntan
• By Niyi Bello on August 14, 2015
Akinruntan
CONTRARY to claims by historians and some sections of oral tradition that the Ugbo people were driven away from Ile-Ife at the beginning of the Oduduwa Dynasty, the Olugbo and paramount ruler of the Ugbo-Ilaje people of the coastal stretch of Ondo State, said that his people left Ife out of their own volition.
The Ugbo-Ilaje, a sub-ethnic group of the larger Yoruba culture who presently occupy the country’s western coastline of the Atlantic ocean with fishing as the mainstay of their economic activities, have been confirmed by various historical sources and through living traditions to be the original inhabitants of Ile-Ife who had been living in the ancient community centuries before the arrival of Oduduwa and his people “from the East.”
Now occupying the bank of the “great waters”, the Ugbo-Ilaje, the only Yoruba grouping living in an aquatic environment with traditional spiritual links to the ocean through the worship of Malokun, the water deity which also signifies thir believe in the mightiness and richness of the vast ocean, the Ilaje are itinerant fishermen known for their seafaring exploits along the West African and Central African coastline.
The Olugbo, a First Class monarch, who resides at Ode-Ugbo, their ancestral home, reigns over about two hundred small kingdoms scattered along the 80-kilometer coastal stretch of Ondo State and to signify the uniqueness of the stool and the importance of fishing to the tradition of the people, the biggest fish, when caught, is always reserved for the Olugbo.
A recent disclosure in The Guardian by Ambassador Olu Agbi, a professor of History, in the wake of the controversy over the demise of the Ooni of Ife, Oba Okunade Sijuwade, had stated that the Ugbo people were forced to flee a land they had been occupying for centuries “because of the overbearing influence of Oduduwa against the aborigines.”
But the Olugbo, Oba Fredrick Obateru Akinruntan, told The Guardian while responding to the Agbi claim, that “it is true that we were the original inhabitants of Ife, but our history told us that we left, not because we were craven away but because the land was not fertile enough for our economic activities.”
The Olugbo who cited many authorities to back his claim, said the Moremi story, a historical narrative that is still being observed today in Ile-Ife as a festival, rather than confirm that the Ugbo people were driven away, only strengthen the fact that the original inhabitants were physically and spiritually stronger that the newcomers. According to Oba Akinruntan, “the Ugbo people were the original custodians of the spiritual art of divination through the Ifa oracle and it was the oracle that directed the inhabitants of Ife to leave the place and move southwards.
The raid on the Ife community that led to the sacrifice of Moremi’s son, Ela, confirmed that the original settlers were ahead of the newcomers in the art of warfare. ‘It was only through divine consultations that the Ife settlers were able to free themselves from the raids by the Ugbo people during which our forebears in Ugbo seized slaves and women from Ife. History taught us that the raids were as a result of the hostilities between the two groups back then in history.
“We were not driven out of Ife. Ifa and Osanyin deity directed that our ancestors should move southwards to the body of great waters because Ife was baren. Ugbo in our dialect means “this is where we are to stay” and we settled at Ode-Ugbo. “Oraife, a very important historical figure which has a shrine in Ife was the father of Osangangan Obamakin, the progenitor of the Ugbos and it is the same personality as Oranmaken who was the Olugbo when Moremi was carried off as a slave to Oke Maforanga, the war camp of the Ugbos which is located at a place near today’s Oke-Igbo.”
Relying on oral Ugbo palace tradition and current cultural linkages between the Ugbo and Ife, the Olugbo said “according to oral history, sixteen broad-chested men were always leading raids against Ife and when Moremi eventually made a deal and the raiding gang was busted when the secrets of their costumes leaked, seven of the raiders from Ugbo stayed back while nine found their way back to Ugbo. “Those who stayed back in Ife, till today, still maintained their Ugbo links and anytime that the Ugbo palace is celebrating anything, they always send representatives.
For instance, they are always present at my coronation anniversary to maintain a tradition that they have been observing for centuries. “As I speak to you, the old palace of the Ugbo is still at Iremo quarters of Ile-Ife and the people of the quarters they occupy in Ife could be found in Baba Sigidi, Obawinrin and Obagio. They are there and they still maintain their links with Ugbo.”
When asked the origin of the Ugbo people if the Oduduwa Dynasty came from another place, Olugbo said, “We are the original atewonro because our ancestors descended from heaven. Our story of creation must have been accredited wrongly to Oduduwa. We came from nowhere but heaven.
That is why part of our cognomen refers to us as “Ugbo Atorunwo”, meaning a people that descended from heaven.” To confirm the historical importance of the Ugbo stool and its history, Oba Akinruntan referred to the submission of Olukoya Ogen in a lecture delivered by the Professor of History titled “History, Politics and Ethnicity: A Critique of the Existing Canons of Yoruba Historiography”, where the Ugbo crown was described as the oldest in Yoruba land because it predated the Oduduwa Dynasty.
The Olugbo also referred, in his words “for emphasis” to the submission of the Oba of Benin, Omo N’Oba Erediuawa in his book “I remain, Sir, Your Obedient Servant” where the Benin monarch said the Ugbo people were “the ancient settlers at Ife” before they moved to their present day location and also referred the yearly ritual of reenactment of the movement of the Ugbo in Ife today.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by lawani: 6:43am On Jan 22, 2017
Oba Obateru Akinruntan is the Olu Igbo. That is the Igbo (re mi) referred to in Moremi of Ife stories. Igbo (mi do) is a recent phenomenon. Nobody was called Igbo (mi do) in the 19th century. The word is derived from Ndigbo. Nothing like Igbo actually. That is a convenient creation. You cant say somebody is Igbo really just like you cant say somebody is Owerri or Onitsha. Ndionitsha means Onitsha people, NdiOwerri means Owerri people. Onye Onitsha means Onitsha person, Onye Owerri means Owerri person. When they all gather as in Ndi Owerri, Ndi Onitsha, Ndi Enugu and etc, they address the gathering as Ndigbo which means everybody to cover all. So when you say Onyegbo what you mean actually is human being!. When you say Ndigbo, it means everybody. Be clear about that!. Dont be confused. There really is nothing like Igbo (mi do)! Or Igbo (do do) to mean a nation originally. That is a recent coinage. That would be like Yorubas calling themselves Eda, a word that means human being in Yoruba!. To Yorubas, we are all Eda and we have Eledas that exist in the spirit. White people, insects, Hausas, Igbos are all Edas or creation of God. It covers all creations. Humans are Eda Adarihunrun or Eda omo Adamo. A well behaved person is Eda Omoluwabi etc.

Now, Ndigbo is also a Yoruba word. The etymology is from when both languages were one because today, if I say Idi Akintola, it means people of Akintola lineage, idi Awolowo, it means people of Awo's lineage. Can you see the parallel with Igbo language? If I now say Idigboo, it means the lineage of all or everybody. Ask the meaning of Akarigbo of Remo and names like Ogeyingbo.

So the word Igbo which is now used as a national name is not what occurred in the Moremi story, the one in the Moremi story means forest and I believe Igbo Ukwu also means forest. I know that intuitively. The one in Ndigbo means all like the Gbo or Gbogbo in everyday Yoruba conversation.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by lawani: 6:57am On Jan 22, 2017
THERE WAS A TIME IGBO AND YORUBA WERE ONE BEFORE THEY SPLIT BUT THE MECCAN ODUDUWA CAME AFTER ISLAM!. THAT IS A VERY RECENT ARRIVAL. THE MOREMI STORY HAPPENED AFTER IFE WAS RELOCATED TO THE PRESENT AREA FROM ELSEWHERE, SO THE UGBO PEOPLE UNDER THE OLU IGBO WERE TROUBLING THEM JUST LIKE PALESTINIAN TROUBLE JEWS TODAY! THOUGH ALL WERE THESAME IFE PEOPLE BUT THE OLU IGBO RECOGNISED A MORE ANCIENT IFE THAT HAD GONE UNDER, SO IT TOOK THEM SOME TIME TO GET USED TO THE NEW PEOPLE MASQUERADING AS IFES!. SO THEY RAIDED THEM AS WOULD BE EXPECTED! THAT IS THE STORY!.

WE DONT KNOW WHEN YORUBAS AND IGBOS SEPARATED BUT IT CAN NOT BE LESS THAN 3 TO 5 THOUSAND YEARS AGO!. I WILL SAY IT WAS BEFORE THE TIME OF OGUN ALARA BECAUSE IGBOS DONT SACRIFICE DOGS BUT NOT BEFORE OGUN ONIKOLA SINCE IGBOS PERFORM CIRCUMCISION ON MALES. IT MAY BE BEFORE ORUNMILA TOO. THE FIRST ALARA WAS ORUNMILA'S SON. YORUBA CALENDAR IS 10060 THIS YEAR, LET US JUST SAY THE FIRST FIVE THOUSAND YEARS PROBABLY SAW YORUBAS AND IGBOS AS ONE PEOPLE. THAT IS MY SUBMISSION
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Tequilah: 11:22pm On Jan 26, 2017
logica:
Apparently some Igbos are eager to fit into the Yoruba narrative and history; even if it means they are referred to as "bush people".

This post - ehn - e get as e be - you are too funny for words! grin
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 12:51pm On Jan 29, 2017
igbodefender:

Good question, Sir. Take the then Igbo Kings of Ife, the Obatala for instance. One of their titles was Obi Osere Igbo. Now, let us analyse the title Obi Osere Igbo. The Obi part of the title is undeniably an Igbo royal title, as in Obi of Onitsha, Obi of Otolo, Nnewi, etc., etc., etc.

The Osere part of the title has a deep priestly significance in Igbo Land. For example, in the Igbo kingdom of Ogwuta in Imo State, their priests have inherited the title Osere. In Ogwuta, the Osere is the Chief Priest of the Owu Institution. (Does the word Owu ring a bell?. Don't say no o.)

Okay, let's continue with our analysis of the Oba Igbo's title, Obi Osere Igbo.

The last part of the title Igbo is self explanatory. If one should translate that Obatala title from Igbo to English, it would simply mean Priest King of the Igbo. Mind you, ancient Igbo Kings like the King of Nri, where the aboriginal Igbo of Ife originated according to History of the Igbo World by Prince Charles Offokaja were and are priest kings.

Even Catherine Acholonu, whom you despise, told us of a trip she took to Cuba, where she saw a statue of Obatala built by Afro Descendants (probably from Ife) in which the following phrase was inscribed Obatala, King of the Igbo Nation. This phrase is so insightful that I will repeat it, Obatala, King of the Igbo Nation. These and other facts are documented in the book, History of the Igbo World, which you can purchase at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K4AIUO8 at a very affordable price. In fact, if you had read the book, you wouldn't have asked me such an easy question. Oga, bring difficult questions na.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 12:53pm On Jan 29, 2017
The above quote was a responce to ImperialYoruba on this issue in another thread. The Igbo (Lucumi) were no doubt the aborigines of Ile Ife. That does not detract from the glory of the great Yoruba People.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jan 29, 2017
Scholars should do more DISPASSIONATE research on Igbo places like Ugbodu, Onitsha (Orissa) Ugbo, Ugbokko Araba, Ogba, Egbeda, all in the Igbo speaking areas of Nigeria (Igboland). What are their mysterious linkages to their present day Yoruba namesakes? For instance, why is their Ogba in both Lagos (Eko) and in the Igweocha (Port Harcourt) area of Rivers State?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by lawani: 2:34pm On Jan 29, 2017
igbodefender:
Scholars should do more DISPASSIONATE research on Igbo places like Ugbodu, Onitsha (Orissa) Ugbo, Ugbokko Araba, Ogba, Egbeda, all in the Igbo speaking areas of Nigeria (Igboland). What are their mysterious linkages to their present day Yoruba namesakes? For instance, why is their Ogba in both Lagos (Eko) and in the Igweocha (Port Harcourt) area of Rivers State?

ugbodu from Igbodumila is not your own Igbo but same things as Igbosere, Oke Igbo, Ijebu Igbo and etc. They all mean forest. Your own Igbo is thesame as one in Akarigbo of Remo, names like Ogeyingbo and etc. It means all. Your Ndigbo means everybody. It has nothing at all to do with forests. Its a shame that a foreigner will be teaching you your language!.

When you go into the far past, there were no Yoruba and Igbo, Nupe, Edo, Urhobo etc and according to Yoruba history, we have never been at the organisaion level of Nri Igbos. We have always had Kings. Obviously Igbos are descendants of ancient Libertarians who insisted on no taxation and no kings, so very little abstract history is carried forward and they gradually lose knowhow as well. Even Yoruba lost knowhow probably after epidemics and probably Igbo population was originally very small but epidemics ravaged the cities of nation builders and Igbos managed to close the gap. Then Yorubas used to greet Kings Saaki like Nupoid peoples in the past, so everything is complicated but we spoke Akoko before adopting our present language and Akoko, Edo and Igbo are kindred.

No Igbo of today in the modern Ife but their ancestors were but were not Igbos nor were they Yorubas. You cant describe your ancestors of 5000 years ago as Igbos because probably they may have been city dwellers speaking a language you cant understand.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by ODVanguard: 7:04pm On Jan 29, 2017
igbodefender:
The above quote was a responce to ImperialYoruba on this issue in another thread. The Igbo (Lucumi) were no doubt the aborigines of Ile Ife. That does not detract from the glory of the great Yoruba People.

Guy, quit flogging a dead horse. This subject has been settled so una no fit rewrite hundreds of years old history with the stroke of a pen, just like that?! Ugbo (forest) is same as Igbo (central Yoruba meaning for forest) in Ugbo dialect. It's just common sense that Igbo (Ugbo) in Yoruba has an entirely different meaning in Yoruba than in Igbo/Igbo language. Same as Ogba (compound) in Yoruba has a different meaning in Igbo. Just common sense. Yet you lots in your desperation are trying to superimpose yourself into Yoruba history. The Ugbo (Igbo) people that were at Ife are the same ones that are in Ugboland in Ilaje area of presentday Ondo state. Read http://punchng.com/ooni-olugbo-supremacy-battle/ by the Olugbo of Ugboland for some much needed education concerning this. This Igbo attache by force is becoming sickening. You people are too desperate for comfort, for real. Stay on your lane and be proud of your history. Or is it that you lots are not proud of your own history?

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by OPCNAIRALAND: 7:27pm On Jan 29, 2017
lawani:
THERE WAS A TIME IGBO AND YORUBA WERE ONE BEFORE THEY SPLIT BUT THE MECCAN ODUDUWA CAME AFTER ISLAM!. THAT IS A VERY RECENT ARRIVAL. THE MOREMI STORY HAPPENED AFTER IFE WAS RELOCATED TO THE PRESENT AREA FROM ELSEWHERE, SO THE UGBO PEOPLE UNDER THE OLU IGBO WERE TROUBLING THEM JUST LIKE PALESTINIAN TROUBLE JEWS TODAY! THOUGH ALL WERE THESAME IFE PEOPLE BUT THE OLU IGBO RECOGNISED A MORE ANCIENT IFE THAT HAD GONE UNDER, SO IT TOOK THEM SOME TIME TO GET USED TO THE NEW PEOPLE MASQUERADING AS IFES!. SO THEY RAIDED THEM AS WOULD BE EXPECTED! THAT IS THE STORY!.

WE DONT KNOW WHEN YORUBAS AND IGBOS SEPARATED BUT IT CAN NOT BE LESS THAN 3 TO 5 THOUSAND YEARS AGO!. I WILL SAY IT WAS BEFORE THE TIME OF OGUN ALARA BECAUSE IGBOS DONT SACRIFICE DOGS BUT NOT BEFORE OGUN ONIKOLA SINCE IGBOS PERFORM CIRCUMCISION ON MALES. IT MAY BE BEFORE ORUNMILA TOO. THE FIRST ALARA WAS ORUNMILA'S SON. YORUBA CALENDAR IS 10060 THIS YEAR, LET US JUST SAY THE FIRST FIVE THOUSAND YEARS PROBABLY SAW YORUBAS AND IGBOS AS ONE PEOPLE. THAT IS MY SUBMISSION

Could this just be a theory, or is there a convincing markers that you can inject to make it factual and conclusively historical?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by ODVanguard: 7:49pm On Jan 29, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

Could this just be a theory, or is there a convincing markers that you can inject to make it factual and conclusively historical?

Bro, I think it's safe to say that Mr. Lawani's theories are based on speculation without any hard evidence as I doubt there's any oral, written or documented evidence to prove what he's saying hence his usage of words like "it cannot be less than 3-5 thousand years ago". Na mere speculation. It's like saying all black people ultimately come from the same single source. That is only logical anyhow, but yet doesn't change the fact that Igalas and Zulus are different from Yorubas today. undecided

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by lawani: 8:35pm On Jan 29, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

BASED ON LINGUISTICS AND DNA, IGBOS AND YORUBA WERE ONE PEOPLE BUT OBVIOUSLY THEY BRANCHED OFF AND MERGED WITH DIFFERENT GROUPS, SAME APPLIES TO YORUBA AND NUPE. THE YORUBA ANCESTORS WERE PROTO NUPOID TO AN EXTENT, SAAKI WAS THE ROYAL GREETING BEFORE KABIYESI AND IT IS STILL USED BY NUPES, WE HAVE IGBO ITAPA IN ILE IFE AND ITAPA MEANS NUPE. OUR GREETING E KU IS A NUPE GREETING BUT THE RELATIONSHIP WITH IGBO IS SOMEHOW SIGNIFICANT BECAUSE WE DONT SHARE BORDERS WITH THEM.

MGBALA IS AGBALA COURTYARD
GIRIPA IS DIMKPA ADULT MALE
MGBA IS IGBA TIME
OKA IS OKA MAIZE
ATUPA IS ATUPA LAMP
EWU IS EWURE GOAT
EKWENSU IS ESU ORISA FOR RATIONALITY
OSA IS THIEF LIKE OLOSA
THERE ARE MANY MORE
IF ANYTHING IS BASIC, IT IS WORDS LIKE ESU, OKUTA, AGBALA ETC AND THEY ARE SAME IN IGBO. SO THERE IS NO DOUBT AT ALL THAT SOME OF THEIR ANCESTORS WERE THESAME AS YORUBA ANCESTORS. NO DOUBT AT ALL AND GIVEN THE DIFFERENCE IN CULTURE AND SOCIETAL ORGANISATION, WHAT CAUSED THE SEPARATION IS OBVIOUS ENOUGH AND THAT IS IGBO ANCESTORS WERE IFE PEOPLE WHO REFUSED TO ACCEPT KINGS OR PAY TAX TO ANYONE. THEY MAY HAVE BEEN REBELS. SO WHOEVER WAS KING THEN SAID 'IF THAT IS HOW THEY WISH TO LIVE, LET THEM BE!'. THAT TO ME IS OBVIOUS ENOUGH. SO THE FIRST IGBOS LEFT THE CITIES TO GO AND LIVE IN SMALL NON VIOLENT SELF SUBSISTENCE GROUPS WITH SETTLEMENT NEVER EXCEEDING 2000 IN POPULATION FOR EASY ADMINISTRATION IN THE VILLAGE SQUARE BY ALL.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by OPCNAIRALAND: 9:09pm On Jan 29, 2017
igbodefender:

There is a conscious state of mind and there is an unconscious state of mind, and they operate as a pair. The one is inseparable from the other.

When you study a society you will see a similar symmetry in the collective consciousness and unconsciousness of the people and their land.

That which is unconscious in them take the form of customs, rituals and traditions and congregate into a culture. Intangible heritage!

That which is conscious in them takes form of arts, commerce, wars, politics and history. These are tangible.

In doing comparative study of separate distinct societies we often neglect the unconscious aspect and focus totally on the tangible. We end up leaving behind the aspect of a people's origin that inform on the nativity of their progenitors and ancestral foot tracks from point to point, and particularly their observations of articles of faith and divinity. In the belief system are threads that distinguish and frame the disconnects of people A from people B, even though in contemporary society A and B probably speak same tongue and appear on the surface, tangibly, to be connected.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by OPCNAIRALAND: 9:14pm On Jan 29, 2017
ODVanguard:

Bro, I think it's safe to say that Mr. Lawani's theories are based on speculation without any hard evidence as I doubt there's any oral, written or documented evidence to prove what he's saying hence his usage of words like "it cannot be less than 3-5 thousand years ago". Na mere speculation. It's like saying all black people ultimately come from the same single source. That is only logical anyhow, but yet doesn't change the fact that Igalas and Zulus are different from Yorubas today. undecided

Well, we have to start from somewhere when authentic records are missing or exist with gaps. Speculation is allowed, to build into theories. It is safe for the author to disclose that upfront than to leave audience guessing on where his claims stand.

So not to dismiss your sensibility about his contributions, which Im sure is valid, but on both sides I think an openess will help in encouraging extraction of information and knowledge.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by OPCNAIRALAND: 9:25pm On Jan 29, 2017
lawani:

BASED ON LINGUISTICS AND DNA, IGBOS AND YORUBA WERE ONE PEOPLE BUT OBVIOUSLY THEY BRANCHED OFF AND MERGED WITH DIFFERENT GROUPS, SAME APPLIES TO YORUBA AND NUPE. THE YORUBA ANCESTORS WERE PROTO NUPOID TO AN EXTENT, SAAKI WAS THE ROYAL GREETING BEFORE KABIYESI AND IT IS STILL USED BY NUPES, WE HAVE IGBO ITAPA IN ILE IFE AND ITAPA MEANS NUPE. OUR GREETING E KU IS A NUPE GREETING BUT THE RELATIONSHIP WITH IGBO IS SOMEHOW SIGNIFICANT BECAUSE WE DONT SHARE BORDERS WITH THEM.

MGBALA IS AGBALA COURTYARD
GIRIPA IS DIMKPA ADULT MALE
MGBA IS IGBA TIME
OKA IS OKA MAIZE
ATUPA IS ATUPA LAMP
EWU IS EWURE GOAT
EKWENSU IS ESU ORISA FOR RATIONALITY
OSA IS THIEF LIKE OLOSA
THERE ARE MANY MORE
IF ANYTHING IS BASIC, IT IS WORDS LIKE ESU, OKUTA, AGBALA ETC AND THEY ARE SAME IN IGBO. SO THERE IS NO DOUBT AT ALL THAT SOME OF THEIR ANCESTORS WERE THESAME AS YORUBA ANCESTORS. NO DOUBT AT ALL AND GIVEN THE DIFFERENCE IN CULTURE AND SOCIETAL ORGANISATION, WHAT CAUSED THE SEPARATION IS OBVIOUS ENOUGH AND THAT IS IGBO ANCESTORS WERE IFE PEOPLE WHO REFUSED TO ACCEPT KINGS OR PAY TAX TO ANYONE. THEY MAY HAVE BEEN REBELS. SO WHOEVER WAS KING THEN SAID 'IF THAT IS HOW THEY WISH TO LIVE, LET THEM BE!'. THAT TO ME IS OBVIOUS ENOUGH. SO THE FIRST IGBOS LEFT THE CITIES TO GO AND LIVE IN SMALL NON VIOLENT SELF SUBSISTENCE GROUPS WITH SETTLEMENT NEVER EXCEEDING 2000 IN POPULATION FOR EASY ADMINISTRATION IN THE VILLAGE SQUARE BY ALL.

If you do a comparative of words between Yoruba and other ethnics within Nigeria you will no doubt arrive at commonality with people as far as Kanuri and as well to Ijaw and Adamawa, in addition to Igbo and Nupe.

Yoruba share word commonality with Romans and even Egypt and Hebrew. These are all on the surface. Go beneath the surface and extract markers that tie Yoruba to Igbo and share with us.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by lawani: 11:56pm On Jan 29, 2017
OPCNAIRALAND:

If you do a comparative of words between Yoruba and other ethnics within Nigeria you will no doubt arrive at commonality with people as far as Kanuri and as well to Ijaw and Adamawa, in addition to Igbo and Nupe.

Yoruba share word commonality with Romans and even Egypt and Hebrew. These are all on the surface. Go beneath the surface and extract markers that tie Yoruba to Igbo and share with us.

We speak modern Kemitic Egyptian laced with words from surrounding languages like Igbo, Nupe, Edo and etc. Maybe over 60 percent of our words were used in Kemitic Egypt of 5000 years ago and we construct sentences thesame way. This our language was not spoken here 5000 years ago. I believe it would be a proto Akoko Edo Igbo that was one language. Our own there was Akoko and part of Akoko is Nupoid. It was on the Akoko that Egyptian was superimposed by new arrivals from Egypt. We still have some Akoko. Before Egypt, I would say the Yoruba were proto Nupoid in culture because of royal greetings and festivals in Ife. They probably were not so in language. The Hausa too may have been proto Nupoid in culture even language. The Hausa language too is new and different by having gender. I am still researching.

Igbos are cutoff from Yorubas but still use atupa, agbala, oka, esu as ekwensu and etc. Apparently they branched off and merged with a new group having another language just like the Akokoids merged with Egyptians. Just a weak opinion for now

http://obamaandpeace..nl/2010/03/oduduwa-and-yoruba-revolution-in-world.html?m=1
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Probz(m): 12:42am On Jan 30, 2017
lawani:

We speak modern Kemitic Egyptian laced with words from surrounding languages like Igbo, Nupe, Edo and etc. Maybe over 60 percent of our words were used in Kemitic Egypt of 5000 years ago and we construct sentences thesame way. This our language was not spoken here 5000 years ago. I believe it would be a proto Akoko Edo Igbo that was one language. Our own there was Akoko and part of Akoko is Nupoid. It was on the Akoko that Egyptian was superimposed by new arrivals from Egypt. We still have some Akoko. Before Egypt, I would say the Yoruba were proto Nupoid in culture because of royal greetings and festivals in Ife. They probably were not so in language. The Hausa too may have been proto Nupoid in culture even language. The Hausa language too is new and different by having gender. I am still researching.

Igbos are cutoff from Yorubas but still use atupa, agbala, oka, esu as ekwensu and etc. Apparently they branched off and merged with a new group having another language just like the Akokoids merged with Egyptians. Just a weak opinion for now

http://obamaandpeace..nl/2010/03/oduduwa-and-yoruba-revolution-in-world.html?m=1

Some people would say that Yorubas are cut-offs from Igbos since Nri civilisation is the oldest in southern Nigeria. Don't chat.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by lawani: 8:08am On Jan 30, 2017
Probz:

Some people would say that Yorubas are cut-offs from Igbos since Nri civilisation is the oldest in southern Nigeria. Don't chat.

YOUR POSITION IS NOT ACADEMIC. WHAT EVIDENCE DO YOU HAVE THAT NRI IS THE OLDEST? IGBO UKWU? IGBO UKWU IS NOT NRI. IT IS THE BURIED TREASURE OF AN IFE PALACE PROBABLY A ROYAL ESCAPING AN INVASION. THAT WOULD BE IFE IGALA NOT NRI!. IGBO UKWU MEANS THE FOREST OF DEATH IN YORUBA, I WANT TO BELIEVE THAT AREA WAS YORUBOID SPEAKING IN THE PAST. WHAT DOES IGBO UKWU MEAN IN IGBO? THAT SOME SPEAK IGBO TODAY DONT MEAN THEIR ANCESTORS DID. IN THAT IGBO UKWU WERE FOUND ITEMS FROM EGYPT, SO CAN YOU SAY NRI IGBOS MADE THOSE ITEMS? IN THESAME WAY, NRI IGBOS DID NOT MAKE THOSE BRONZE ARTWORKS!.

THEN NRI IGBO, BENIN, ILE IFE IN OSUN, IJESA, IJEBU, OYO ETC IN ARE ALL NEW. HOW CAN YOU SAY SOMETHING NOT UP TO 2000 YEARS GAVE BIRTH TO YORUBA? THAT IS JUST SHORT OF STUPID!. WHAT ABOUT NOK CULTURE? OF OVER 2000 BC?. TRY TO MAKE YOUR STATEMENTS AS ACADEMIC AS POSSIBLE PLEASE. IT IS VERY CHILDLIKE TO BE SAYING SOMETHING OF 2000 YEARS AGO GAVE BIRTH TO YORUBAS OR EVEN IGBOS!. THE IFE CIVILIZATION OF YORUBAS WAS ESTABLISHED AFTER AN ADVANCED CIVILIZATION WAS DESTROYED ON EARTH AND THIS IS YEAR 10059TH SINCE THEN. WE ARE DESCENDANTS OF THE SURVIVORS.

THERE WAS A STOCK OF PEOPLE SAY A AS AT TEN THOUSAND YEARS AGO. THAT STOCK BROKE UP INTO MAYBE 5 GROUPS WHO MIXED WITH DIFFERENT STOCK OF OUTSIDERS FROM OUTER SPACE AND ETC. SO NO GROUP IS THAT ANCIENT STOCK ANYMORE BUT WHICH GROUP IN NIGERIA CARRIED FORWARD THE STORIES AND A SEMBLANCE OF THE ANCIENT CULTURE? THAT IS THE QUESTION YOU NEED TO ASK!. PRESENTLY SOUTH AMERICANS ARE CARRYING FORWARD THAT CULTURE ON EARTH NOW. THEY ARE REPRESENTATIVES OF THOSE ANCIENT PEOPLE.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (15) (Reply)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair / The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.