Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,901 members, 7,814,051 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:55 AM

The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There (62107 Views)

Wives Of Late Ooni Of Ife At Burial Ceremony / Common Beautiful Names From The Igbo Tribe / Nigeria's Regional Monarchs Still Live In Royal Splendour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Twistaray(m): 11:37pm On May 03, 2015
grin grin

You people can fight, over what?
Well..well...well.
It's funny thou..

Yeboo and yoruba have what in common exactly?
When did yeeboo came into existence?

Ok oo
Make una dey do una online(NL) e-right ooo

grin

..and if Yeboo are to be dominating everywhere was yoruba land forced away from them? Tell me Wetin I know ke grin grin

Una get time sha

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by OsoDupe(f): 12:11am On May 04, 2015
vanbonattel:

where did ijebu igbo come from, no be igbo men?
lolz, this people sha, how is Igbo(bush) and Igbo(IBO) connected?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by logica(m): 12:19am On May 04, 2015
OsoDupe:
Apparently some Igbos are eager to fit into the Yoruba narrative and history; even if it means they are referred to as "bush people".

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 12:46am On May 04, 2015
logica:
Apparently some Igbos are eager to fit into the Yoruba narrative and history; even if it means they are referred to as "bush people".

Yes
Bush people who inhabited the bushes while the sophisticated town people used seared iron to draw 3 hashtags on each cheek

2 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by tunjidj3: 12:47am On May 04, 2015
What i know about oluyare kekeluke which is song for iko during ogun festival when oluyare do pay homage to ooni of ife by dansing it is a traditional culture for remembrance of monremi for her wise idea during period of slave trade executed by white people of which they hide under iko to make people afraid and carry there children away it was monremi who befriend them and have idea of what they used to wear and gave his people courage not to run for them but to use fire against them iko is made of rubber when in contact with fire it got burnt that is how ife people were able to conquered the kidnappers. If the history now refilled that is igbo people that is under oluyare then they are the one captured during the period that is white people use them for kidnapping.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 12:48am On May 04, 2015
They want to teach us our language. They want attachment by force just the way they they merge SS/SE in write-ups. When did Igbo (bush) and Igbo (SE) mean the same thing? Just like saying Otu (in Yoruba meaning a poor performer) means the same thing as Otu (in Igbo meaning figure 2)
OsoDupe:
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Emirofsambisa1: 1:17am On May 04, 2015
dayohope1:
They want to teach us our language. They want attachment by force just the way they they merge SS/SE in write-ups. When did Igbo (bush) and Igbo (SE) mean the same thing? Just like saying Otu (in Yoruba meaning a poor performer) means the same thing as Otu (in Igbo meaning figure 2)

Otu or Ofu in Igbo means 1. Two is Abuo

Bottomline is that we are all somehow related but bigotary won't let many see it

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by lezz(m): 2:13am On May 04, 2015
4chi:
The writer of this trash is sick in the head. Prince chima ko, prince china ni! Pray what exactly is this Igbo fixation with Yoruba history? Typical of most primitive people, yeeboos have formed the penchant for FABRICATING their history.they even got some sort of pseudo intellectual fraudulent support from the likes of "prof" catherine acholonu whom the gods recently deleted from existence due to her persistence in fabricating and redecorating the "history" of a clearly primitive African tribe. At a time,the fool was all over the diaspora creating confusion and ascribing some sort of funny relationship between Igbo and Yorubas. The height of it was her linking ijebu Igbo to Igbo land conveniently ignoring the fact that Igbo in Yoruba simply means deep jungle or marihuana in modern lingo.

Try as much as you can, it is settled fact that you guys were and are village dwellers with no monarchy,no empire, no urbanization ,no notable historical personality,no notable war fought(your arse was whooped in the only one you fought in modern times), no developed religion or spirituality like the ifa corpus in yorubaland etc prior to the arrival of the whiteman.

Listen up all you ibo wannabes, the Yorubas have absolutely NOTHING in common with you apart from the useless green passport we are forced to carry..May the thousand Orishas of ife make the ground very slippery for all who engage in latter day "ibo made" history
You seem more hurt than the people against whom your anger is directed.

All this literary drama of strong emotions for just an article of who settled where first....

If you are Yoruba, Ibo, Hausa or any other Nigerian tribe, I am sorry to inform you that we are bound to stick together like stink on shiit. That's our fate and our strength. You should know that if you aren't putting on tribal blinders.

But we can avoid making it our biggest weakness too.

If not for the great diversities and ethnic varieties of great peoples that call Nigeria home, we just might have been one insignificant West African country.

I save my venom for foreigners on NL talking crap about Naija, never with a man who share a common history with me.

3 Likes

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by bigfrancis21: 2:40am On May 04, 2015
macof:

Francis this is why I tell you to be careful what you read from the Internet

1 . Yarriba was first used by the Malians, Hausa don't even know where they got it from. Katunga is what they call Oyo(so the records say)
2. Oyo never lived among Hausas
3. The indigenous people of SW Nigeria were not known by one name
4. In what way is Egba synonymous with Igbo? Do you (or the writer of this message you quote) even know what Egba means?
5. When Oduduwa first confronted the "Ugbo" oranmiyan wasn't even born
6. Obatala = King of White cloth(Oba ti Ala). .not king of the land (Obi Ala)
7. Every yoruba society has Ogboni not just Egbas. Ogboni began in Ife
8. Egbas and Ugbo - Ilaje are different people
9. Moremi had nothing to do wit Oyo. .she never came from Oyo so why would she return there
10. Egba don't fight wit masks

You are merely repeating stories that have been told to you. A simple DNA test on a sample of 50 random egba males from abeokuta and the oluyares will solve the issue at hand.

I posted a DNA test result previously, on page 2 or so, of an Ijebu Igbo lady whose father happened to be 35% Igbo, and having an Igbo mother herself, she turned out to be 65% Igbo, and 25% Yoruba in her genes.

With the rate of marriage of Igbo women by Yoruba men, the Igbo gene is effectively being injected into the Yoruba gene pool, and in no near time, the Yorubas will be said to have partial Igbo ancestry, while the Igbo general genetic make-up will still remain pure.

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by logica(m): 3:05am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:

Yes
Bush people who inhabited the bushes while the sophisticated town people used seared iron to draw 3 hashtags on each cheek
Na by force to insert yourselves in Yoruba history? Why don't you go discover yours? Yoruba's told a story mentioning a certain "bush people"; una say na una. Yoruba say no be una; una no wan gree. Na una sabi the story pass the teller na?

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by calcal: 3:18am On May 04, 2015
macof:
Lol So ibos are the true inhabitants of Ile-Ife

U guys just like disturbing Yoruba people, wat concerns Igbo in Moremi's story to the lost Hebrews? aren't they Hebrews again? They now Ifes

This claim can't be taken seriously
It's totally false

The rats are everywhere.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by shizzleStar: 11:04am On May 04, 2015
babyosisi:

Yes
gringringrin
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Armaggedon: 11:39am On May 04, 2015
Though i never got to read it, i have seen it once in DAILY SUN's banner headline "Igbo founded ile ife- research"
who else saw it?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by cbrass(m): 11:48am On May 04, 2015
Emirofsambisa1:

Otu or Ofu in Igbo means 1. Two is Abuo

Bottomline is that we are all somehow related but bigotary won't let many see it

Abuo in Yoruba means the younger one. The people of Lagos that speaks the bastadised Yoruba call it aburo wink
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 04, 2015
false story...
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by absoluteSuccess: 5:52pm On May 04, 2015
cbrass:

Abuo in Yoruba means the younger one. The people of Lagos that speaks the bastadised Yoruba call it aburo wink
The need to forge alliance with Igbo makes you reduce Lagos Yoruba to bastard Yoruba. Has that made abuo in Igbo to mean abuo in Yoruba? Eni tara 'le e l'opo.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 6:38pm On May 04, 2015
hmmmm.. CHINEYEN, THE NGWA GUY. THE DEFENDER OF NGWA PEOPLE. STOP CANNIBALISM NOW.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 7:22pm On May 04, 2015
bigfrancis21:

You are merely repeating stories that have been told to you. A simple DNA test on a sample of 50 random egba males from abeokuta and the oluyares will solve the issue at hand.

I posted a DNA test result previously, on page 2 or so, of an Ijebu Igbo lady whose father happened to be 35% Igbo, and having an Igbo mother herself, she turned out to be 65% Igbo, and 25% Yoruba in her genes.

With the rate of marriage of Igbo women by Yoruba men, the Igbo gene is effectively being injected into the Yoruba gene pool, and in no near time, the Yorubas will be said to have partial Igbo ancestry, while the Igbo general genetic make-up will still remain pure.

cheesy grin grin sure what I've been told by the people who's history you are ignorant of
While you are merely repeating stories you read from the Internet blog of a man mad who doesn't know his igbo history
You have to be intellectually deficient to believe that writeup you quoted about Egbas being Igbos
have u ever seen an Egba tell you he is igbo
The 'gb' in the middle is what is driving you crazy.. o ma se o

And to the DNA stuff pls kindly furnish the name of the geneticist and company that organized the testing
And provide record of the girl's family hhistory, her father might be 2nd generation igbo hustlers who settled in Ijebu

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 7:38pm On May 04, 2015
logica:
Na by force to insert yourselves in Yoruba history? Why don't you go discover yours? Yoruba's told a story mentioning a certain "bush people"; una say na una. Yoruba say no be una; una no wan gree. Na una sabi the story pass the teller na?
Lol grin
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by cbrass(m): 11:25pm On May 04, 2015
absoluteSuccess:
The need to forge alliance with Igbo makes you reduce Lagos Yoruba to bastard Yoruba. Has that made abuo in Igbo to mean abuo in Yoruba? Eni tara 'le e l'opo.

Bro oga fun yin o, ewo nitemi pelu omo ibo, am just trying to tell him we have that word in Yoruba language too,of course I know that the pronunciation will be different. As for Lagos yoruba, am not criticizing anyone am just trying to explain better to him ni wink
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Ihuomadinihu: 12:23pm On May 05, 2015
alablec:

You get time for this dreamer op; the 'ugbo' the history refers to is with the sound 're' 'mi' not Igbo, 'do' 'do', as in igbo. in Ekiti, Ijesa, Ife, etc dialects, Yoruba 'i' means 'u'. Yoruba language is highly tonal, so the op and his likes could confuse 'igbo' - bush, 'igbo'-hemp, 'Igbo' - group, 'Igbo' - headbutt with 'Igbo' - ethnic group. Igbo originated from pygmies and Igalas, the later with Benin rulership of present Anambra and part of imo gave them the related words with Yoruba, okuta-okute, eji-ejima, omi-miri, imu-imi, apa-aka, etc.
Lol,sorry o. All sub saharan Africans have the pygmie genes.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by MannyAgyeiK: 9:28pm On May 05, 2015
otiigba1:
I also heard from a Ghanian friend, the ashanti people also originated from ILE IFE is this true? Does this mean that they could also be igbos?
I am an Ashanti and I can say on authority that this is false. The only ethnic group which mentioned Ile-Ife in its history are Gãs, the current owners of Accra, Ghana's capital. Ewes, also, mentioned, once, being in Ketu in Yorubaland, until hostility by Yoruba invaders made them move.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by MannyAgyeiK: 9:52pm On May 05, 2015
royalcatier:
Ghanaian today and Chinese tomorrow, you ibos will always hide behind anyone and then turn around and say you are far from being cowards.

For your information, I am an Asante, from Ejisu-Besease in Ashanti Region of Ghana. It's pitiful you make a misguided ad-hominem attack. If you can read, which I doubt, you would see I gave points actually SUPPORTING the Yoruba side of the argument. In what way did my statement show support to what the OP said? You can read with your tribalist paranoia. I have no interest in being party to your Yoruba-Ibo e-feud. I merely gave an opinion anyone with a brain could understand. I'm disgusted at your attempt to call me an Ibo, merely, because I called out a tribally and logically bankrupt comment for what it is. I know one Ibo will read my comment you referenced and call me Yoruba. I'm as Ghanaian as they come and nothing can change that. So because of someone's tribal fanboyism, I can't make an objective comment. Sorry to say this, but Nigeria must be bleeped up to have people like you around there. Nkwaseasem akwaakwa. Ne gyimie bi. Go ask a Ghanaian what it means! Nonsense.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by MannyAgyeiK: 10:11pm On May 05, 2015
royalcatier:
This is an impostor, Ghanaians have many problems, history of Nigeria isn't one of them.

Hmmm, so you really think only Nigerians should talk about Nigeria? Fine, pretty fair, if you ask me. I just came across this while browsing and, merely, commented based on my judgment on the facts available. Unlike you, who doesn't base on facts but sentiments. I have nothing to gain by being bias, plus I thought a neutral person with no connection to the opposing could make an easy observation. I was just curious when I read the title, but, obviously, not everyone came on this page to use their brain. It's pathetic that sentiments are paramount when any African is making an opinion. If I were European, I don't think you would tell me this nonsense. Disgraceful. Why am I surprised?
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by MannyAgyeiK: 10:27pm On May 05, 2015
royalcatier:
Just imagine yourself in the middle of a thread where Ashanti are claiming to be the Aborigines of Accra or Ga's heritage.

First of all, anyone non-Ghanaian who saw such a thread on the internet would either do two things: Ignore or read to see what they mean, by that title, out of curiosity. I did the latter. I thought it was a one-off on a dead thread. But, obviously, Nigeria's tribal war just had to find another reason to a start another feud. At my expense. I can ignore the back and forth dirt throwing; it's not my business, right. But, what I can't let go is an upstart thinking I care so much about hurting his tribe and descending to the gutter to take shots at me. I respect myself and you guys can rip your heads off for all I care. My comment merely criticized an unobjective comment, showed and applauded another commentor for a good argument and gave a fact that just proved the OP's claim was quite misguided. I view this strictly in an academic sense, so quit acting up and re-read my comment. Maybe, then, your brain would grasp what I really meant. Until then, you seem to me as quite pathetic. Poor fellow.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by MannyAgyeiK: 10:46pm On May 05, 2015
cbrass:

Yea it's true but trying to take sides is what baffles me
Take sides? I only stated the obvious, based on the facts I know. I merely explained why I felt based on a little reading that Olukumi had a connection with Yoruba, rendering part of the OP's claim null and void. Should I suck up to everyone cuz I'm Ghanaian? I'm open to education on the subject. So if you think I'm way out of my depth, tell me what I don't know? I do random research a lot on many things, so any reasonable info is welcome. It is so hard researching stuff when everyone is so bigoted and bias. I stated a fact. Counter me with a fact. I guess in Africa, everyone thinks neutrality is not having an opinion. If you're true to yourself, the OP's claim is quite odd. I would need to have quite some faith as an outsider to swallow it hook, line and sinker. My little knowledge on Yorubas is they had 2 great empires; Ife and Oyo. How does Ibo come into the equation? That's what attracted me to the thread. Or wasn't that the thread title was supposed to do? Ha, well...
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by MannyAgyeiK: 11:04pm On May 05, 2015
[quote author=macof post=33382902]

ok, am sorry But whether Igbos trace their origins to Ife or not It doesn't bother me neither is it unfavorable to my Ethnicity. .its just a shame some people resort to such historical distortion

Here's what the deal is
"Igbo" is the Oyo dialectical version of "Ugbo"
These Ugbo were part of the Ife country, (I personally believe they resided at the outskirts around modern Ipetumodu before Ife put the place under their control )
During Oduduwa's time (before he Sorry, for my criticism. I wanted hard reasons to believe or disprove this theory. You've opened a veil on the facts and I now can treat the OP's claim for what it is. I read on the Ijebu-Itsekiri connection you cited and it's surprising how the two are connected. Ijebu and Itsekiri were said to be some of the tribes in Yoruba that spoke the ancient/older version of the language with a comparison of Itsekiri Yoruba and Oyo Yoruba. The 'gh' sound in Itsekiri was replaced with 'w' in Oyo. Yoruba history is quite interesting. But I wish someone would elaborate on the Olukumis, as Wikipedia doesn't have much info. Only one article I've read (the one saying Yorubas settled in present-day Olukumi, at one time) has any knowledge on them.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by MannyAgyeiK: 11:15pm On May 05, 2015
cbrass:

You are a Ghanaian and you are interfering into what you know Nothing of. undecided
I know that. But, as to how much I know, I have read a few articles to know what's good and what isn't. Culturally, I have no exposure to the area in question, but with a little knowledge in African studies, I know Ile-Ife is the foundation of Yoruba civilisation.
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by cbrass(m): 9:25am On May 06, 2015
MannyAgyeiK:
I am an Ashanti and I can say on authority that this is false. The only ethnic group which mentioned Ile-Ife in its history are Gãs, the current owners of Accra, Ghana's capital. Ewes, also, mentioned, once, being in Ketu in Yorubaland, until hostility by Yoruba invaders made them move.

First of all am quite shocked to hear this , Although I have never been to Ghana but am not sure anyone speaks olukumi or Yoruba over there, then how could you say "the Yoruba invaders " how can Yoruba be an invader in their land, it's most likely those Gas came to invade yoruba land and were sent packing since they were not yorubas or am I wrong
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 9:03pm On May 06, 2015
[quote author=MannyAgyeiK post=33457681][/quote]] Yes dialects may differ but We are all one Ethnicity
Itsekiri are mainly of Ijebu origins
But people think Oyo dialect defines us all

1 Like

Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by macof(m): 9:06pm On May 06, 2015
cbrass:

First of all am quite shocked to hear this , Although I have never been to Ghana but am not sure anyone speaks olukumi or Yoruba over there, then how could you say "the Yoruba invaders " how can Yoruba be an invader in their land, it's most likely those Gas came to invade yoruba land and were sent packing since they were not yorubas or am I wrong

These Gas I'll really like to learn about them and their acclaimed yoruba conception
Re: The Oluyares: The Igbo Aborigines Of Ife Who Still Live There by Nobody: 4:02pm On May 10, 2015
Pls can i have your email.
ghostofsparta:
All these analyses about tribes, languages and ethnic origins all over Nairaland are just people interpretations.

The truth can only be gotten from Ifa.

Ifa lo mo itan gbogbo idale eya.

Ifa knows the origin of all race, ethnicity and tribe.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

Tope Adesegun And Ooni Of Ife, Adeyeye Ogunwusi Set To Wed / Jewels Of Africa Nairaland Heritage Fair / The Wodaabe Fulani In Africa, Where Women Can Marry As Many Husbands (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.