Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,522 members, 7,819,880 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:48 AM

Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story (1597 Views)

Some Character Traits That Places A Lady In The Class Of A Love Peddler / What Your Zodiac Sign Says About Your Intimacy Life / A Love Story In 22 Pictures (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by chiwex(m): 10:33pm On Nov 19, 2013
This is an eBook novel that i bought from http://nairamegashop.com I so much love this novel,that was why I decided to share this novel with you.Nairamegashop is where you is an online shop where you can get your favorite eBooks of all categories,so if you need any Romantic novel,you can go there and get anyone for yourself,they are still uploading more novels and eBooks everyday. I start

The First Time Jack Meets Lexi

CHAPTER 1

CORNER CAFE

Jack sat in the coffee shop, drumming his fingers against the counter. His coffee rested half-empty next to him, a vestige of the mad after-class rush that wore on his nerves.

He was thankful for the reprieve, so he could chill and listen to the underground Seattle rock music he favored. There was a pretty new band that he liked even if they were small and local and no one else had heard of them before. Maybe one day, they would get picked up and be popular, but he kind of hoped not. He'd prefer to keep their sound original and not have them sell out

He was just ready to get off work. He had a few more hours left to deal with customers, and then he was planning to grab a beer and watch last weekend's college football games with Seth. He had some intro accounting homework to wrestle with, but after the day he had, that was the last thing on his mind.

Large coffee, please,someone said, breaking him out of his thoughts.

Yeah, coming right up, he said, turning around to complete the order. Cream or sugar?

No, thank you,she said, her voice tentative.

Jack glanced over his shoulder, a smirk crossing his face. He quickly tried to school his features into order as he turned around. It was that girl again. Almost every day he'd worked recently, she had been here, studying at a table adjacent to the counter.

He didn't know who she was. It didn't seem right to ask while he was working, and he hadn't found a way to bring it up during the short conversations they had when she ordered her coffee ”always a large, always black. She might actually drink more coffee than him, which was a feat, considering he worked here.

Here you go, Jack said, setting the steaming cup on the counter.

The girl was wearing soft pink lip gloss, accentuating her full lips, as she smiled up at him beneath thick black lashes. Under those lashes were deep, dark chocolate brown eyes as big as saucers that made him feel like he was sinking through quicksand. Her curly brown hair cascaded out around her shoulders and over the curves of her breasts, giving her a wild look.

He felt his cock twitch and leaned forward on the counter. He sure as hell didn't want anyone to notice his reaction. Christ, he was at work!

Thanks, she said, handing him her credit card.

He promptly swiped it and handed it back to her along with a receipt.

She smiled up at him once more, a big grin showing all her teeth, like she had remembered her confidence after all. She quickly turned around and headed to her table where she immediately removed stacks and stacks of papers.

Blowing out a breath, Jack straightened and adjusted himself. Maybe he shouldn't get her name.

He fished his phone out of his pocket and hid it behind the register. His manager didn't like employees to be on their phones, but she wasn't in today. If he didn't have any customers, then he didn't see why it was a big deal.

He sighed when he saw that he had missed a text message from his girlfriend, Danielle.

Hey! Really missing you right now. Ugh, I wish I would have transferred in, but now, it's too late

Ugh was right. He was really glad she hadn't transferred.

Since school had started a couple weeks ago, Danielle was hovering even more than normal. Somehow, they had survived freshman year with her attending community college in Savannah while he was in Athens. He knew he had kind of been an ass to her lately, but they had been dating forever, so Danielle was used to it.

Then came the summer. This summer had been brutal. He wasn't used to her being around all the time anymore. He wasn't used to her being in his space, taking up all his time, and forcing herself into everything he did. He had just forgotten what it was like to have a girlfriend around.

Seth had made fun of him all summer about it. Seth's affectionate term for him was pussy-whipped. He could take Seth's jokes when they were alone, but when Seth would say it around Danielle, Jack would get in a few good punches. Danielle thought it was cute and funny, and Jack thought it sounded like a slow, painful death.

After a summer of agonizing torture, he had really thought it was over. He couldn't take it anymore. Two weeks before school started, he had tried to break up with her, but she had looked at him with her coy smile and determined gaze right before she dropped down to her knees. How could he even argue with that?

Since then, that had pretty much been the staple of their relationship”Jack thinking he wanted to break up with her, and Danielle convincing him rather thoroughly that he didn't.

Still, he had moved back to Athens with Seth the first weekend he could. He was ready to have his own life back. Yeah, he probably should have manned up and just told her to Bleep off, but it wasn't like he was getting it from anywhere else right now. Plus, he had the benefit of being four hours away from her. Maybe he would do it over fall break or sometime when he knew he wouldn't be going home for a long time.

He ignored the message from Danielle. He might call her later or something”if he remembered.

As Jack rang up the next customer, he found his eyes drifting to that girl again. She had a friend with her, which was new. With a bleached out pixie cut and tight-ass pants, she was cute, but not hot like her friend. The new girl kept looking up in his direction, her breasts falling out of her low-cut top. Jack quickly turned away, not wanting to draw unnecessary attention, but he could still feel her eyes on him.

His phone beeped again, and he groaned, wondering when the messages would ever stop.

Can we Skype tonight? I'm really missing you. wink

Oh, how the wink face wasn't necessary.

You busy there? someone chirped happily.

Jack hastily put his phone away and stared up at the blonde girl with the big tits. Seriously, if her shirt were any lower, he would be able to see her nipples. Did she expect him to look at her face?

How can I help you? Jack asked.

The girl leaned forward on the counter as if he couldn't already see straight down her shirt.

I'd like a caramel macchiato with a double shot of espresso and lots of whipped cream, she said in a seductive tone.

“Sure thing, Jack replied, turning away from the overly flirtatious girl to make her drink.

what are you doing tonight? the girl asked.

Jack sighed. In a way, he had expected it. Before this job, he hadn't known girls could actually be assertive enough to ask him out point-blank like that. He had always been polite about it, but they had never been his type, not that he really had a type. Blonde, blue eyes, nice ass, put together”that was Danielle. He didn't know if it was a type, but none of the girls who had approached him were ever it.

Ah, you know, just hanging out with friends, Jack said with a shrug, trying for nonchalance.

He placed the drink on the counter in front of her as she slid a purple slip of paper toward him.

Do you see my friend over there?she asked, nodding her head in the girl's direction.

Jack glanced over at the girl. Her head was buried in her books like she might never look up again. She was chewing on her bottom lip and pushing a lock of hair behind her ear reflexively before it fell back into her face again.

She's coming to this concert tonight.The blonde pushed the paper into his hands.

Glancing down at it, Jack saw that it was an advertisement for a show at the Theater. He had never heard of the group, but they were described as an original DJ-rap duo. Not really his thing.

And? He was waiting for the kicker.

You should be there,the girl said, raising her eyebrows.

He folded the paper. “I’ll think about it.

If you're smart, you'll show. She straightened abruptly and took her drink. Thanks for the coffee.The girl winked at him before she departed.

That hadn't gone as expected. Jack was surprised that he had been wrong. Nonetheless, he was glad he didn't have to turn the blonde girl down. It tended to hurt business.

Jack's eyes fell to the purple flyer in his hand. He knew he was a sucker for even contemplating the possibility of meeting her. Really, what could he accomplish by following those big brown eyes anywhere? He had been dating Danielle for three years now, and though he kept saying he was going to break up with her, he didn't really even believe himself.

He took one last look at the girl seated at the table across from him. When he stared her, he felt that same stirring in his body that he'd had when she had been at the counter. He didn't know what it was. She was hot, but it was more than that. It was just something about her.

Bleep. He was going to that concert

To be continued shortly

Drop your comments suggestions.

courtesy of http://nairamegashop.com the best online shop for your favorite eBooks
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by chiwex(m): 11:38pm On Nov 19, 2013
CHAPTER 2

THAT GIRL

You want us to go to what? Seth asked, leaning back in the dingy brown recliner and reaching out for his beer.

There's a concert at the Theater tonight.Jack ran his hand back through his dark hair as he waited for some smartass comment from his best friend. He knew it was coming.

Dude, no one goes to the Theatre in the middle of the week unless they're chasing townie pussy. I don't recommend it, Seth said, wrinkling his nose.

You're such an asshole.Jack shook his head and plopped down on the couch. “You know that, right?

That's why the ladies love me. Seth raised his eyebrows suggestively.

You're delusional.

Seth chugged the rest of his beer, set the empty aluminum can on the table, and belched. He wiped his mouth with the back of his hand and smiled at Jack.

Seriously, how do the girls resist you?Jack asked sarcastically.

Can't keep them off me.

Jack hated to admit how true that was. His friend had the weirdest game Jack had ever seen. It was like the less Seth tried, the more girls threw themselves at him. Since they had started college together, Jack couldn't remember a single time when Seth didn’t have at least two or three girls around the apartment, vying for his attention.

So, why do you really want to go to the Theatre? Seth asked, returning his attention to the football game on the screen.

Jack was silent for a minute. It wasn't that he couldn't tell Seth about the hot girl he had seen at work. He had told Seth about hundreds of hot girls he'd met while working. He didn't know why he wanted to hide it, especially after just asking Seth to go to the concert with him. It just something about this felt different. Why was he making a big deal out of this? After all, it was just a girl, and it was just a concert.

I was invited. Jack took out the purple piece of paper from his pocket and unfolded it before handing it to Seth.

He looked at it briefly and scoffed. DJ-rap duo Nick and Neal? Dude, are you serious right now?

“What the Bleep else do you have better to do besides work on finishing off that case of beer?

Anything sounds better. I don't have time for wannabe rappers when I have free booze sitting at home.

If it's any consolation, a blonde with huge tits gave this to me, Jack said.

Seth's ears perked up. Now I'm listening.

Jack chuckled to himself and grabbed the paper. She and her friend are going to the show, and she gave me the paper while leaning against the counter and showed me her nipples.

Seth walked into the kitchen and grabbed another beer. “Wait, are you into her? Because you know how I love girls who show off their nipples in the middle of the day Seth called out.

She's all yours, Jack offered. He hoped he sounded generous and not just like he was giving in too easily.

Seth crashed back into the recliner, tossed Jack a beer, which was caught in midair with one hand, and then he popped open his own.

So, it's the other girl then, Seth said intuitively.

Damn! Seth knew him too well. Even when he tried, Jack couldn't hide anything from Seth. That was the problem with staying friends with people Jack had known all his life. Sometimes, he thought Seth knew him better than he knew himself.

I mean, she's hot, he said casually.

Seth stopped mid-drink and set his beer down. Whoa.

What?

I don't know, dude, he said, staring at Jack. First, you hesitated, which means she drew your attention. Most girls really don't for some reason. Second, you answered me like you didn't care, which immediately makes me think you do. So, who is this chick?

Jack shrugged and turned away. Just a girl who comes into the coffee house. I don't know her name or anything.
Dude, you've got it bad.

Bleep off. You don’t know what you're talking about, Jack said gruffly.

Remember when you first started dating Danielle, and I told you it was a terrible fucking idea?

Jack slung his arm across the back of the sofa and threw his head into the cushion. He knew where this was going.

Well, it was a terrible fucking idea. She's a fucking doormat. I mean, I didn't blame you for getting laid all the time in high school, but now, you can get way better ass than that, man,Seth said. He shook his head like he couldn't believe that Jack was still with Danielle.

Whatever.

Great comeback.

I'm totally going to this concert with you, and I'm bringing the guys, Seth said with a crooked smile. I hope you Bleep her until your dick falls off.

courtesy of http://nairamegashop.com
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by chiwex(m): 9:21am On Nov 20, 2013
I guess it is an uninteresting and boring novel,thread closed.
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 20, 2013
no no.. i was loving it grin don't close the thread puleassssseeeeeeee
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by babysmart(f): 6:50pm On Nov 20, 2013
pls am readin d story...dnt close it...
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by chiwex(m): 8:47pm On Nov 20, 2013
CHAPTER 3

THE THEATER

The guy sitting behind the desk was about as townie as it came in this city. He was tall and lanky. No, he was more like skinny or even scrawny. Jack was sure the guy had never heard of a gym before. He had tattoos running up and down his arms and peeking out from beneath his perfectly rumpled ironic T-shirt. Jack liked to keep his hair long enough to fall into his eyes, but this guy's hair was just too long and stringy. Hygiene was lacking all around.
ID? The guy thrust out his hand while looking at Jack in disdain.

At least the feeling was mutual.

Jack handed him his fake ID, which was a duplicate of a friend of his. He didn’t think it looked much like him, but in Athens, it didn't matter. If it said he was twenty-one, and it wasn't just a flimsy piece of paper, then no one gave a shit.
Great, the guy said. He barely glanced at it before handing it back to Jack. He placed a giant black turtle stamp on Jack's hand and let him pass.

Jack pulled open the door to the Theatre and walked into the music venue. The room was cool as if to make up for the Georgia heat, and he was glad he had worn his dark jeans and black button-up with the sleeves rolled to three-quarter length. His trusty navy Chuck Taylo's were on his feet.

His roommates, Seth, Luke, and Michael, had come with him to the show. The conversation to get all his roommates to come out with him had been about as embarrassing as Seth could manage, and he had a talent in such things. His friends, Clark and Hunter, had been over to witness the spectacle, too. None of them liked Danielle, and they were more than happy to help Jack find someone else, so he would grow some balls and dump her. Clark was the only one who had been hesitant, but peer pressure had won him over in the end. Clark and Hunter were going to meet them out for drinks later since they had an intramural soccer game.

So, which one is she? Seth asked as he walked in behind Jack.

Jack made a quick sweep of the room. I don't see her, he said.

He had only been here a handful of times to see some pretty popular bands or to catch a couple local bands that had a strong following in Athens. Last October, he and all the guys had come here for a Halloween blowout full of angels, devils, cowgirls, and every other variety of slutty costume imaginable. People were crushed wall-to-wall while a DJ blared club music. This was nothing like that. The venue was actually quite sad on a weekday.

About two-dozen people were standing in the center of the room, bobbing up and down to the college rap music some guy was spitting into the microphone. A handful of townies sat around the perimeter of the room on cheap couches and bar stools, drinking PBR, and ignoring the music.

And then, there she was. She was wearing a short black dress and heels that accentuated her toned legs and butt. Jack had only ever seen her in the outfits she wore to study in at the coffee shop, which usually consisted of a loose T-shirt and jeans. She had gone from hot to off the charts in that dress.
That one, Jack said, gesturing to the girl.

And she's not even blonde, Seth said elbowing Jack in the side.

Ha-ha, he responded dryly.

I'd Bleep her, Seth said with a shrug.

You'd Bleep anything.

Yeah. Anything that hot.

That's the girl with the big tits. Jack pointed out the girl who was jamming out to the music at the front of the stage.

She's actually into this music? Seth looked contemptuous about the girl's lack of taste. I'm going to pass. If Chasity is working at Chamber, I'll see if she'll give me a Mouth Action in the bathroom.

Good luck with that.

Anyway, go talk to your girl. I'll take the guys to the bar. Seth walked away with the rest of their entourage, leaving Jack alone to determine his course of action.

She was here, swinging her hips side to side as if in invitation. Her lips were moving along with the music, and he could see the shine of that damn pink lip gloss teasing him from a distance. He had come to the show with the intention of meeting that girl. He was too committed to back out now.

Taking a deep breath, Jack walked across the empty room and stood next to the girl. She was so enthralled with the music that she didn’t even notice him. Her eyes were glued to the duet on stage, and she was yelling out all the words she knew.

You're not bad. Maybe you should show them how it's done, Jack said, leaning over to her.

When she giggled, her curls bounced all around her face. One strand was stuck to her pink lip gloss, and he had to fight back the urge to brush it away. What had gotten into him?

The girl turned toward him, and the look of shock on her face was about as obvious as her friend's flirtation had been earlier that day. She tried to recover, and damn, was it cute to watch her try.

You think so?

Honestly, no, Jack teased.

She was good, but he kind of liked to see her all flustered.

Well, thanks. I'm very offended right now.

Her hand fell to her heart as if she was wounded, and Jack took the opportunity to let his eyes drop to her chest. Yeah, she had a pretty nice rack.

So...do I know you or do you always just insult people when you first meet them? she asked.

He snapped his eyes back to her face. He could drown in those dark eyes.

She was so tiny that he had to bend down to avoid yelling over the music. He cleared his throat softly before he responded. “I think you study at the coffee shop where I work.

He breathed the smell of her in. How did girls always smell so good? He didn't even know how to describe it, except that it could have been edible.

I think you might be right. She shot him a smile that could kill.

She removed the tiny piece of hair still stuck to her pink lip gloss and then tucked the loose strand behind her ear. They never broke eye contact, and he wondered if she knew what she was doing to him.

Are you much into college boy rap? she asked abruptly.

He laughed at the turn in conversation. No, not really, but this guy's not bad. Is he a friend of yours?

Yeah, he lives in my dorm.

So, she was a freshman. He wouldn't have guessed that. Something about her confidence and the sexuality she exuded had made him think that she was his age or older, not that he minded the age difference in the slightest.
Nice. Those guys over there.Jack pointed at the bar where his roommates were sitting. “They lived on my hall last year in the dorms. Which one are you in?

U'm...Russell.

That's where we were. Fifth floor east. You?

Five north, she told him.

Bleep. If she were a year older, they would have lived on the same floor together.

“Small world.”

“Yeah, it is,” she said, tucking another lock of hair behind her ear. “How exactly did you hear about the band? I mean, if you don’t really listen to the music.”

Jack reached into his back pocket and pulled out the folded piece of paper. “I believe a friend of yours gave this to me. He pointed the girl out in the crowd.

Her eyes were brimming with happiness as she became all giggly. Well, yeah, that's Olivia for you, she said, shrugging. Oh, I'm Lexi, by the way.She extended her hand to him.

Lexi...hmm...I like that, he said, taking her outstretched hand firmly in his. Jack. It's nice to meet you.

Jack let the silence stretch between them as all hope of conversation died with the increasing volume of the hip-hop beats. When the duo's set ended, everyone started to leave the venue. Lexi filed out of the room with the rest of her friends, and he followed. He caught Seth’s eye and nodded his head toward the door.

They made it outside and past the townie that had stamped his hand. As Lexi's friends all turned and started walking to the backstage door, she stood with Jack off to the side and waited. His friends stood on the sidewalk a short distance away.

Now, he had to figure out what the Bleep he was going to do. The show was over. He knew her name. Wasn't that all he had come for?

Her friend, Olivia, exited last. She was swaying on her feet, humming loudly to herself. Hey, sweetie. She kissed Lexi on the cheek, and without another word, she stumbled along after the rest of the group.

I guess she's a bit drunk, Lexi said to him.

A bit? he questioned with a smirk. Hold on one second. Jack walked over to his friends standing in a clump on the sidewalk. “Hey guys, I'll meet you at Chamber. I think Chasity said she was working.

Seth winked at him, and the other guys chuckled like they thought he might bang the girl right then and there. They departed down the street, happily leaving him alone with Lexi.

When he turned back to Lexi, she was glancing around the corner toward her friends. I'm not sure what my friends are doing. But by the look of things, I'm going to have to carry half of them home.

Even in her high heels she was more than a handsbreadth shorter than him. It would have been interesting to see her try.

I should go catch up with them before they get into any trouble.

He didn't know if she was actually interested and playing it off or if she was just ready to be rid of him.

My friends are probably lost without me, too, Jack said. It surprised him that he wasn't ready for her to leave.

Are you working tomorrow?she asked.

Are you studying tomorrow?

Yeah.

Then, I should be there.

Guess I’ll see you there.

Sounds good, he said, knowing she was going to leave and he wouldn't see her again until the next time he worked.

She turned and started down the alley.

He should let her leave. He should. Honestly, he really, really should.

What good could come from him stopping her? He had a girlfriend back at home. Sure, he could become friends with Lexi. She could hang out with Seth and the guys. Maybe even meet Danielle sometime. That might be feasible maybe.

He knew that letting her go was the smart thing to do. If he wanted anything from this, then he needed to be smart about it. Leave her alone…watch her walk away…figure things out with Danielle

That was what he should have done.

But he couldn't.

They got along, and they had some kind of connection. He would be an idiot to not do anything about it. Even if absolutely nothing came from it and they just became friends that would be okay with him. Her leaving without him knowing if he would ever see her again…that wasn't okay with him. He couldn’t see that ever being okay with him.

Lexi Jack called, jogging down the street to catch up with her.

She turned to face him, those big brown eyes swallowing him whole. He had to see her again.

I know you have to study tomorrow, but what are you doing Friday?

She didn't respond right away, as she seemed to be thinking about her schedule. He waited impatiently, wondering what she could be doing.

I don't have any plans, she finally responded.

Jack blew out a breath. Good. “Do you want to hang out?

Lexi nodded. I thought you'd never ask.

To be continued later

Courtesy of http://nairamegashop.com the best online shop for romantic stories

Interesting or uninteresting?your votes please before i continue

Remember,Majority carries the vote
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by Nobody: 8:52pm On Nov 20, 2013
looks for cowbell chocolate.. grabs threecrown milk.. a cup of warm water! lets go there cheesy
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by chiwex(m): 9:05pm On Nov 20, 2013
Relax stay Tuned don't touch the Dial

More is coming your way
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by babysmart(f): 6:22pm On Nov 21, 2013
nyc story crious ....pls jst update quickly so we dnt get bored
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by Nobody: 11:35am On Nov 23, 2013
op don go sleep
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by Donpeak(f): 1:53pm On Nov 23, 2013
Hmmmmmm....
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by chiwex(m): 10:02pm On Nov 27, 2013
So Sorry For Keeping You Guys Waiting,We're So much busy working On on New Website,With Many Features To Give You Full Satisfaction.So http://nairamegashop is no more online,we are moving forward to a new URL or Domain which will be made public as soon as it is ready.Enjoy Reading

CHAPTER 4

THE DATE

He should call the whole thing off.

Jack stared down at his phone, wavering back and forth. He knew that if he broke off the date right before the event, he would look like a total dick. Not a good first impression. But if he didn't call it off and it ended up being a real date then he'd feel even more like a dick.

In the end, it was this backward way of arguing with himself that led to his decision. If he were going to look like a dick either way, then he would rather spend time with Lexi. He was probably over analyzing this anyway. This probably wasn't even a date.

Seth, Luke, and Michael had left to pick up Hunter and Clark. Jack knew that Seth was trying to get out of his hair. Despite the fact that he and Seth had gone to dozens of parties, bought drinks for girls, and then danced and flirted, Jack had never done anything like this before. There was always a point where he was like well, time to get back to Danielle. Seth would bring a girl or two home, and Jack would go to bed alone. There wasn't even a moment when he'd thought it would be any other way. He was pretty sure that Seth believed that would change tonight, so he had left Jack alone.

Jack was happy for the reprieve, but he couldn't let anything happen.
Bleep it. He shook his head and shoved his phone in his pocket.

He had already made up his mind. He wasn't going to go back on it.

Jack walked out to his car and revved the engine. He shot off a text message to Lexi, saying he was on the way. He didn't live too far from the dorms, so it was a quick commute. Soon enough, he was driving up to the front of Russell Hall. He pulled over, turned on his hazard lights, and called Lexi to let her know he was here.

She answered on the second ring. Hello?

Hey, do you want me to come upstairs? Jack asked.

Nah. No point in making you try to get past security. I'll be right down.

Jack hung up the phone and waited for her to leave the dorm. A few minutes later, he saw a girl racing down the steep hill to where his car was parked. Her dark hair had been tamed and slicked back into a high ponytail. Her curls bounced up and down as she jogged down the hill. She looked great in dark skinny jeans and a green tank top that hugged her in all the right places.

She reached his car, opened the door, and slid into the black leather seat. He stared at her just long enough to see that she had on that same damn pink lip gloss. For a split second, he wanted to lean over and kiss those plump lips, but then he recovered himself. Letting off the clutch, he flew down the road.

Jack took a breath, already relaxing in her presence. All the anxiety from worrying about whether or not this was the right idea fell away from him.

So, where are we going? Lexi asked.

She leaned back into the seat as he took a turn.

It's a surprise.

Hmm I like surprises.

I thought you might. Jack glanced at her briefly, taking in her slight smile.

He put his iPod on shuffle, and John Mayer's acoustic cover of Free Fallin filtered through the speakers. He veered the car toward their destination, tapping his fingers against the steering wheel in time with the guitar chords.

Do you play? Lexi asked.

A little.

Oh yeah? What instruments?

He chuckled softly, thinking about the answer to this question. He had been kind of a musical fiend when he was younger. He had picked up every instrument imaginable. He wasn't wonderful at any of them, but he was good at pretty much all of them. Just guitar, bass, piano, saxophone, and some drums, but I'm really rusty.

Jesus! Lexi cried.All I can do is sing.

Oh, and I sing. He smirked as he hit the brake at a red light.

Well, don't you seem to be good at everything? Lexi said, staring up at him through thick dark lashes.

Jack hastily returned his attention to the road, but he still watched her out of the corner of his eye.You just wait and see.

I look forward to it. She giggled, turning back around to face the front.

Jack's smirk grew with her laughter. Something about Lexi seemed to just fit. She was so easy to be around. There was no forcing the conversation. There were no awkward silences. There was only Jack and Lexi.

He took the last turn to their destination, and Lexi's eyes widened considerably. Before them, on an expanse of university property that was typically just an empty field, stood a recently constructed carnival with university students flooding the park. A giant Ferris wheel with dozens of bright twirling carts rested at the center of the field with carnival rides and booths surrounding it.

I didn't know a carnival was coming through town! Lexi cried.

One night only, Jack explained. The university sets up celebrations like this throughout the year. Since you're new, I thought I'd take you to the first one of the year.

He was rewarded with a gorgeous smile that knocked him breathless. He was glad that she liked the surprise, but if she kept looking at him like that, she wouldn't have any pink lip gloss on by the end of the night.

A plump older man in an orange vest was waving a light stick to direct them into a makeshift parking spot on the lawn.

The couple trekked across the muddy terrain toward the vinyl ticket booth. After handing over their student identification cards, the student association representative slid the cards through a reader. The machine dinged each time, confirming their authenticity.

Have a good time, and don't forget to grab a complimentary T-shirt on your way out, the woman said.

She handed them back their cards with one hand and used the other to gesture toward a display of boxes containing hundreds of bright green tees.

Thanks, Jack said.

He grabbed Lexiâ's arm and raced through the entrance. She laughed completely and totally carefree as she rushed after him through the bright flashing carnival signs and booths. Jack pulled up short when he saw who was standing directly in front of them.

Damn! He thought he would have had more alone time with Lexi before he ran into his friends.

Between his five friends, they were counting out at least several hundred orange paper tickets, like little kids at Chuck E. Cheese. Each looked more excited than the next. Seth and Clark began trying to steal each other's tickets, and Jack shook his head, expecting a fight to break out any minute. He laughed at their behavior, not surprised in the least.

Hey, guys, he said, casually approaching them with Lexi.

They all stared at her with knowing smiles on their faces.

He could have punched them, but instead, he just swept out his hand and said, This is Lexi.

Thankfully, the guys gave their names and nodded hellos without completely embarrassing him. He hadn't known what to expect from his friends when they would inevitably meet her. Maybe Seth had talked some sense into them.

After introductions, they had to decide which ride to hit first. Seth took the lead as per usual, and he started to push them toward the bumper cars. When Luke put up a fight, claiming they always ganged up on him, he and Seth started arguing.

Jack laughed as they bickered, but his focus was on Lexi. She seemed completely relaxed with his friends. They were a lively bunch, and most girls didn’t seem to fit in right away. He liked that she had no such problems.

Overriding Luke’s complaints, the group got into the line for the bumper cars.

Jack moved closer to Lexi, taking a little too much pleasure in sidling up to her. He whispered in her ear, We actually do gang up on Luke. Better make sure you join in on the fun. His reaction will be well worth it.

She nodded and even seemed anxious to mess with Luke.

Had Jack ever met a girl who immediately followed along with their joking?

As expected, Luke got rocked on the bumper cars. When he came off the ride, he started swinging at anything he could get his hands on. He even knocked over a tiny blonde in his angst. His friends laughter only egged him on further.

Without thinking, Jack slung his arm across Lexiâ's shoulders as they laughed. As she turned into him, trying to catch her breath through giggles, he breathed in sharply. He needed to stop this. Why did she make that so hard?

I cannot believe him, Lexi said, breaking contact, as she wiped away tears of laughter.

He is a riot,Jack confirmed.

They watched Luke try to punch Seth, but Seth ducked under Luke's halfhearted blow easily.

Why don't we get you something to rot your teeth?Jack suggested.

He wanted her away from the walking comedy act, so he could have her all to himself again. He grabbed her hand and pulled her away toward a cotton candy machine. Her hand fit perfectly in his, and he quickly dropped it when he came to that realization.

Needing to change the subject, Jack asked, So, tell me, Lex, what do you normally do on Friday nights?

She shrugged. I hang out with my roommate or Olivia, go downtown, see movies, game nights, dinners, fraternity parties.

She seemed to add the last part reluctantly.

Cool. I like to do all of those things,Jack said with an easygoing smile.

Fraternity parties?

Mike's in a fraternity, he told her. So, yes, even fraternity parties. Probably not as often as my freshman year though.

After they ordered cotton candy, they made their way toward the Ferris wheel. When Jack offered the candy to Lexi, she snatched a piece of it and stuck it in her mouth. He stared down at her mouth where pink sugar had mingled with her lip gloss. He couldn't seem to pull his eyes away.

Lexi licked her lips, and Jack swallowed.

He would really like to know what that tasted like.

You're such a mess, he said, trying to cover his inappropriate thoughts.

They stopped at the line for the Ferris wheel, which was wrapped around the ride. Jack popped some cotton candy into his mouth as she watched the machine transfixed. He didn't even see the giant ride when standing next to her.

He let the sugar dissolve in his mouth before speaking. What's your major?

As of today, I'm undecided. She seemed happy about it.

An indecisive one, I like it.

I'm not indecisive. Just open minded.

Same thing.

Well, what's your major, Mr. Decisive?She stuck one hand on her hip and gave him with a knowing look.

I'm not decisive, just practical. I'm pre-business, likely going to the accounting route. Not so sure though.

Lexi wrinkled her nose. It was adorable.

Eww. I'll forestall practical. Thank you!

He found himself laughing at her forthrightness. She didn't seem to hold anything back.

Yeah, it's what I'm good at.

At least there are a lot of jobs out there for you. Not much a person can do while being undecided, and what I really want to do has only a few more jobs than that, she said, shrugging her shoulders.

interested in what she wanted to do with her life. It suddenly mattered a lot to him.

She paused before answering.Gymnastics.

That's awesome, he said, noticing all the wonderful muscles gymnastics had put on her small frame. And¦she was probably flexible. He needed to stop that line of thinking or else it could get embarrassing.

He knew the gymnastics captain. He wondered if Lexi had been recruited or if she had tried walking on. Have you talked to the gymnastics team here? If you like it so much, you should try out.

No, she responded solemnly.

Why not?

You don't just try out for the gymnastics team here. They're amazing. If they don't recruit you, then you have no chance. No walk-ons. Nothing.

How do you know that? Were you recruited?

No, I wasn't, she said sharply.

Oh, sore subject. He should introduce her to Krista. Maybe that would help.

Oh, well, I know one of the gymnasts. I bet she could talk to the coach. Even if you can't be on the team, you could probably practice with them.

The glance she gave to him was as if she were approaching a martian.

Okay, maybe not,he said, raising his eyebrows. He took another bite of cotton candy to prevent himself from speaking again.

Even if I could get to talk with the coach, there would be no way she would let me practice with them.

Never know until you try, he said, swallowing the remaining bit.

She was hot when she got herself all riled up. Luckily, they were now at the front of the line, so he didn't have time to think about it again.

Jack handed the man four orange tickets, and then he ushered Lexi into a big swinging yellow bucket with the number twenty-five plastered against the back. He recognized the guy working, and as Lexi took a seat, he asked the guy to do him a favor. The guy laughed, called him an asshole, and told him to sit down.

Once Jack took his seat next to Lexi, the Ferris wheel began to rotate in an endless circle. Jack smirked at Lexi, and then started shaking their bucket back and forth. She grabbed on to the sides and squeaked. The girl in the bucket in front of them started threatening them, but he just laughed.

Lexi put her hand on his knee. “Calm down. We don't want to get kicked off!

I know the guy who's running it. No way we'll get kicked off, Jack said.

But he stopped anyway and used that moment to throw his arm across the back of the bucket seat. Lexi relaxed until she was almost leaning into him but not quite. He wondered what she was thinking.

As they made their final rotation, the ride crawled to a stop at the very top, looking out across the open fields. Jack smiled, silently thanking his friend, as the sun was setting low on the horizon, casting the last sliver of orange, pink, and red on the sky.

The world was lost to them in that moment, and without a second thought, he dropped his arm across her shoulders and drew her into him, her head falling into the crook of his neck. She fit into him like she was the missing puzzle piece. She sighed contentedly just as the sun dropped from the sky, leaving them to stare out at the twinkling white stars burning in the distance.

They spent the next several hours perusing the carnival life. He even won her a huge teddy bear from a dart game. She held it tightly as they made their way toward the exit with the rest of the crowd. An associate stuffed two green T-shirts into their hands as they stepped across the threshold.

Later that evening, Jack drove Lexi back to her dorm. The whole time he couldn't stop wishing that the night didn't have to end. He'd had a great time with her, and despite all the complications, he really wanted to see her again. It felt like only seconds before he was pulling up in front of her dorm again.

Do you want me to park and walk you up?Jack asked. He turned on his warning blinkers again.

No, not necessary. Thanks, Lexi said, collecting her things to exit.

He couldn't let her just leave like that. He'd had too good of a time to let her just leave like that.

Hey, wait,” he said. He threw the car in park and ran around to the other side.

He had to say good night. Bleep everything else¦he just had to. It was Lexi.

As soon as she was at arm's length, he reached out for her and pulled her into his arms. When she slid her arms up around his neck, he pushed their bodies flush together as he stood there, letting her legs dangle.

He couldn't help feeling like she belonged there. He didn't want her to go. He wanted to put her back in the car and take her to his place. He wanted to kiss her, explore her. He wanted to know everything about her little body. He wanted to know everything about her. Just her.

Bleep. What was he doing?

With her pressed into him, all he could think was that it didn't matter.

I hope you don't mind, but I couldn't leave without a hug, he whispered.

Oh no, she said breathily, I don't mind at all.

He had to restrain himself as he placed her back on her feet. He couldn't kiss her. No, he couldn't go that far. He wouldn't do that to Danielle'no matter how ready he was to break up with her, no matter how much he wanted Lexi, no matter how much Lexi was staring up at him like she would go back with him.

He bent down and placed a chaste kiss on her cheek. He'd give himself that much. But that was it. He needed to get out of there before he changed his mind.

Straightening abruptly, he turned and fled. He felt like a coward¦even if he was doing the right thing.
Re: Avoiding Intimacy A Love Story by chiwex(m): 8:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
To Be Continued Shortly,still waiting for Your reply

(1) (Reply)

Why Have Ladies Suddenly Become Bad Cooks / 4 Cute And Romantic Reasons Why Men Love To Date Shy Women? / Ladies N Their Open Zip Nowadayz

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 102
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.