Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,613 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong (44941 Views)

The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly / Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Oluwasaeon(m): 9:37pm On Jun 23, 2019
OSUigboKiller:
Osu movie industry nkọ
Abi na FLAT HEAD
Shut up
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Greenback: 9:37pm On Jun 23, 2019
Only one outta 10 ngbantiWood so-called movie makes sense. The rest are pure notice making busshhhht.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Tajbol4splend(m): 9:37pm On Jun 23, 2019
Nollywood entirely is BS, poor directing, too unreal and predictable
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by RemiTinubu(f): 9:37pm On Jun 23, 2019
since 2013
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by StrikeBack(m): 9:38pm On Jun 23, 2019
You call that an industry??
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by babzo(m): 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
YourNemesis:
Is it only that?

How about their horrible code-mixing between 60% English and 40% Half baked Yoruba that they call Discussions in Yoruba?

They may think that it makes them sound "posh", but seriously, it is disgusting!

Why would I go the length of watching a movie in Yoruba only to hear them speaking English half the tie, when English nollywood or even America's hollywood is there for mea to watch and learn English Grammar?

But 90 to 99% % of Yoruba people speak both languages at the same time in every day conversations? Aren't movies a reflection of real life?
Expect a movie is based on an historical event like the movie Odua, that wont change anytime soon.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by BabaIbo: 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
Since 2013 shocked

Blessing can locate you anytime, never relent or lose hope
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by liverpudian9(m): 9:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
plusfield:
You forgot to add the over riding diabolic activities and ritualistic tendencies which seem to have gained dominion over common good as projected by most yoruba movies. The plots seem to be centred around 'juju', witchcrafts and occultic practices and even most of these movies,they are even made to triumph over christianity and common good thereby making it appear like a norm to a young mind.
exactly like hmmm ejoh(snake) lowor nu like one person is always responsible for another person's problem
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jun 23, 2019
Art imitating life.

Giving the people what they want.

Business
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by NaijaTushboy(m): 9:42pm On Jun 23, 2019
Post of 2013 hitting front page in 2019.
SEUN WHY?

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by wristbangle: 9:43pm On Jun 23, 2019
2013 post. It might take a while but surely one day, somebody shall be remembered

7 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by ghuzy01: 9:43pm On Jun 23, 2019
YourNemesis:
Is it only that?

How about their horrible code-mixing between 60% English and 40% Half baked Yoruba that they call discussions in Yoruba?

They may think that it makes them sound "posh", but seriously, it is disgusting!

Why would I go the length of watching a movie in Yoruba only to hear them speaking English half the time when english nollywood or even America's hollywood is there for me to watch I wanted 'spren spren' English grammar?
Yoruba actors of the 90s and early 2000's to mid 2010s were waay better in their Yoruba language diction and knowledge. What we have these days are just mass produced trash that do not last 1 month in popularity before fading out into oblivion.

When was the last time the Yoruba movie industry produced a movie the quality of Saworo-Ide, Maami, Oleku, Ti Oluwa n'ile, Sango, Agogo Eewo, and those old Yoruba movies with epic village settings, 100% indigenous costumes and beautiful sounding Yoruba.

Everything in this generation just seems to be going downhill. Eve the movies.
God bless you

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by koyeni(m): 9:43pm On Jun 23, 2019
grin
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Pelumi75(m): 9:44pm On Jun 23, 2019
Thought this was about ghosts checking traffic before crossing in Yoruba films

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Skmoda360(m): 9:48pm On Jun 23, 2019
ednut1:
Make your own films simple. Take a loan from the bank . Mtcheeew
bro Tunde, but the guy is saying the truth now......most Yoruba films nowadays are not it....we ain't learning anything from it except evil...well done tunbocity
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Opiletool(m): 9:50pm On Jun 23, 2019
What I hate most is their penchant for cursing. Most especially odunlade. He curses a lot.

Plus, most of their actresses are mediocre at best. Runs girls looking for ways to up their games of attracting sugar daddys or fuji musicians. They wear fake clothes and shoes that don't conform with the role of the scene. For instance, a lady going to fight her friend would put on a mini gown with ridiculously high heel shoes. Some will even be uncomfortable with the clothes, adjusting every seconds. With stupid acting that compensate their dumb story lines. Lacking every sense of verisimilitude.

Have i mentioned that majority of the actors are hyenas? With disgusting poorly bleached skins, obesed bodies, and scary makeups.

What about poor directing? Lack of adequate research? An instance is their feable, amateurish attempt to portray a real life personality, or retell a history. From Shina Rambo, to Anini, and the pure junks Odunlade keeps churning out. Yet, the fools will complain they don't make money. How the hell do they expect to cash out from mediocrity?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by tunjilee003: 9:53pm On Jun 23, 2019
watching yoruba films nowadays is poo, The major thing The centered on is juju which means they portray how diabolical we Africans are........ moreover, most of their films are poorly scripted maybe due to lack of funds.. I can't just waste my data streaming Yoruba films online
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Stillthebest: 9:56pm On Jun 23, 2019
babzo:
That was 2013 you put this up. Is it better now or worse? Dont really understand your point about the names? The primary motive of any film production house is profit, whether it be in Nigeria or the USA. Its the government ,educational and religious institutions etc that might have more altruistic motives. And these producers cater to the mentality of their audience, which is why 99% of Nigerian movies can not sell to a non African audience.
Mainframe movies are one exemption and the old movies by Ogunde and the Benin guy that did movies like "Death of a Black President ".
The average Nigeria believes in spiritual and diabolical things and believes they affect his daily life, thats why many movies focus on that.
With the overwhelming prevalence of piracy, this wont change anytime soon. When somebody invests 5 million in a movie and knows it will be pirated within days, even before release; he wont really be bothered about taking the time to make corrections, research, and professionalism.

On point. Nigerians state is problematic with worthless institutions. So, we shoikd expect a sector that's never been attended to or well regulated to come with the best. The oldrn days movies in Nigeria were only better they were in the time of time age and no much exposure to movies. The best way to bring us to be interested was to do a catchy and well researched stories into theatres or cinemas. Then, there were so many histories. Today, we all are no more students of histories. As the world grow old so we lose values.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by lyriclekidd(m): 9:57pm On Jun 23, 2019
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by alabi484(m): 9:57pm On Jun 23, 2019
Opiletool:
What I hate most is their penchant for cursing. Most especially odunlade. He curses a lot.

Plus, most of their actresses are mediocre at best. Runs girls looking for ways to up their games of attracting sugar daddys or fuji musicians. They wear fake clothes and shoes that don't conform the role of the scene. For instance, a lady going to fight are friend would put on a mini gown with ridiculously high heel shoes. Some will even be uncomfortable with the clothes, adjusting every seconds. With stupid acting that compensate their dumb story lines. Lacking every sense of verisimilitude.

Have i mentioned that majority of the actors are hyenas? With disgusting poorly bleached skins, obesed bodies, and scary makeups.

That cursing annoys me like crazy...one of the reasons I don't watch yoruba films anymore....people who watch them sef, I don't tend to thonk them as being serious with life

5 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by YourNemesis: 9:58pm On Jun 23, 2019
babzo:

But 90 to 99% % of Yoruba people speak both languages at the same time in every day conversations? Aren't movies a reflection of real life?
Expect a movie is based on an historical event like the movie Odua, that wont change anytime soon.

No, sometimes movies can be a deliberate force for good, correcting the wrongs of society.
They have a Yoruba movies board, they need to start screening movies with less than 80% Yoruba language content. So many language regulatory boards across the world do it, including French, German and even Hindi.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Opiletool(m): 10:00pm On Jun 23, 2019
alabi484:

That cursing annoys me like crazy...one of the reasons I don't watch yoruba films anymore....people who watch them sef, I don't tend to thonk them as being serious with life

So pathetic and annoying.

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by uuzba(m): 10:02pm On Jun 23, 2019
morikee:
Yoruba and Demons na 5&6
No film where somebody will not disappear.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Uyomeyouyo: 10:02pm On Jun 23, 2019
Too much English is being spoken in a supposedly Yoruba film. This does not make sense! angry

If you want to make an English movie, feel free. Use English all the way!

Subtitling a Yoruba film in English is good enough for non Yoruba speakers or Yoruba learners... angry

6 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by uuzba(m): 10:05pm On Jun 23, 2019
Uyomeyouyo:
Too much English is being spoken in a supposedly Yoruba film. This does not make sense! angry

If you want to make an English movie, feel free. Use English all the way!

Subtitling a Yoruba film in English is good enough for non Yoruba speakers or Yoruba learners... angry
The subtitling use to hook O. Only one English sentence will be on screen and the actor will be firing mgbati-mgbati for 5 mins.

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by 4w4eva(m): 10:05pm On Jun 23, 2019
Gratefulheart01:

You're only trying to cover up your confusion with the complicated composition but you're simply off-point and your bigotted soul forgot that movies from other Nigerian regions too portray diabolic activities, rituals and witchcraft, not only yoruba movies.

A movie is a reflection of what is happening in the society but a good movie does more than that by discouraging the vices in reflections it portrays.

Yoruba movies and any other good movies always end up most times teaching people that doing evil doesn't pay.

I disagree with you. They end up polluting minds, inculcate too my negative things before the few seconds you think they are teaching morals.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jun 23, 2019
The actors/actresses are not to blame but the script writers. You can't write nonsense and expect it to be well presented. Those quality movies of olden days we talked about were well written and most are true life stories.
Just when the last season of game of throne was not well acted, people called for the script writers not the actors /actresses.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Uyomeyouyo: 10:08pm On Jun 23, 2019
YourNemesis:
Is it only that?

How about their horrible code-mixing between 60% English and 40% Half baked Yoruba that they call discussions in Yoruba?

Why would I go the length of watching a movie in Yoruba only to hear them speaking English half the time when english nollywood or even America's hollywood is there for me to watch I wanted 'spren spren' English grammar?
Yoruba actors of the 90s and early 2000's to mid 2010s were waay better in their Yoruba language diction and knowledge including in mannerisms and traditions. What we have these days are just mass produced trash that do not last 1 month in popularity before fading out into oblivion.

When was the last time the Yoruba movie industry produced a movie the quality of Saworo-Ide, Maami, Oleku, Ti Oluwa n'ile, Sango, Magun, Efunsetan Aniwura, Eku Ida, Ayo ni mo fe, Ogbori Elemosho, Agogo Eewo, Kodun kopo Kope (KKK), Irapada; and those old Yoruba movies with epic village settings, 100% indigenous costumes and beautiful sounding Yoruba.

Everything in this generation just seems to be going downhill. Even the movies.

OMG did Nairaland just crash for 10 minutes? couldn't post for more than 15 minutes straight, smh.

Thank you my brother!

The use of English in Yoruba films disgusts me silly!!

The Adeoti brothers (producers) are behind this useless concept!!!

If you want to make an English movie, just go ahead and make one. I hate seeing regular Yoruba artists blowing English. I am like, wtf

Even Babalawo now speaks English in Yoruba movies... embarassed

Bullllshiiiit!!!

8 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by ajl: 10:08pm On Jun 23, 2019
plusfield:
You forgot to add the over riding diabolic activities and ritualistic tendencies which seem to have gained dominion over common good as projected by most yoruba movies. The plots seem to be centred around 'juju', witchcrafts and occultic practices and even most of these movies,they are even made to triumph over christianity and common good thereby making it appear like a norm to a young mind.

Yoi need education in African traditional kmowledge. Christianity is a religion that was forced on Africans. Their own was a way of life. People have the option to use it for good or bad. Those scenes you see in the movie occur daily in real life. Why the increase in ritual killings and pant stealing. God know the nature of his creation including all human races. What he gave some of our people use it to do bad. An individual stole some coolers recently and after pleading with to release the items he never did using all religious terms to prove his innocence. But once he was told that owner has decided to seek traditional means to recover the items he stole, within few days he returned the item. What is the lesson in this. Whatever knowledge you are given, use it for good because he who give know your true nature.

In summary, the scenes you see in those movies reflects daily human experience.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Best Movie You Watched In 2018? / Davido: I Want Omashola To Win BBNaija. Tacha, Kim Oprah, Omashola My Friends / Photos From Big Brother Naija Saturday Night Party Week 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.