Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,757 members, 7,813,508 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:10 PM

Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong - TV/Movies (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong (44940 Views)

The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly / Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Xisnin(m): 11:06pm On Jun 23, 2019
Unlimitk2:

Better shut d fukk up
I can't watch Yoruba movies anymore without hearing Allah Akbar muniru Alfa and all those Islamic crap
Yoruba movies have turned to nothing but Islamic crap now
I can't even watch it anymore
Imagine my dad now watches Igbo movies
This is watch u guys have turned Yoruba movies to with your religious crap
Enjoy your Ibrahim chatta adebayo tijani and other Muslims who have turned Yoruba movies to crap
Oh! Read the news again
See the end, it was even written by a yoruba Muslim in 2013

You lack understanding of simple English, that says a lot about our educational system.
Now go back and read the article again, then read my reply, maybe you will get it this time around.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Nobody: 11:19pm On Jun 23, 2019
YourNemesis:
Is it only that? You are not even touching on the real/cogent points.

How about their horrible code-mixing between 60% English and 40% Half baked Yoruba that they call discussions in Yoruba?

They may think that it makes them sound "posh", but seriously, it is disgusting!

Why would I go the length of watching a movie in Yoruba only to hear them speaking English half the time when english nollywood or even America's hollywood is there for me to watch if I wanted 'spren spren' English grammar?
Yoruba actors of the 90s and early 2000's to mid 2010s were waay better in their Yoruba language diction and knowledge including in mannerisms and traditions. What we have these days are just mass produced trash that do not last 1 month in popularity before fading out into oblivion.

When was the last time the Yoruba movie industry produced a movie the quality of Saworo-Ide, Maami, Oleku, Ti Oluwa n'ile, Sango, Magun, Efunsetan Aniwura, Eku Ida, Ayo ni mo fe, Ogbori Elemosho, Agogo Eewo, Kodun kopo Kope (KKK), Irapada; and those old Yoruba movies with epic village settings, 100% indigenous costumes and beautiful sounding Yoruba.

Everything in this generation just seems to be going downhill. Even the movies. Don't even go to music. .. Like seriously, how hard can it be?

OMG did Nairaland just crash for 10 minutes? couldn't post for more than 15 minutes straight, smh.
May God bless you on this. It very annoying seeing them speak 'disjointed' English often in what is purely a Yoruba movie. I don't like watching those nonsense.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Jyde89: 11:40pm On Jun 23, 2019
YourNemesis:

How about their horrible code-mixing between 60% English and 40% Half baked Yoruba that they call discussions in Yoruba?

They may think that it makes them sound "posh", but seriously, it is disgusting!

Why would I go the length of watching a movie in Yoruba only to hear them speaking English half the time when english nollywood or even America's hollywood is there for me to watch if I wanted 'spren spren' English grammar?
Yoruba actors of the 90s and early 2000's to mid 2010s were waay better in their Yoruba language diction and knowledge including in mannerisms and traditions. What we have these days are just mass produced trash that do not last 1 month in popularity before fading out into oblivion.

When was the last time the Yoruba movie industry produced a movie the quality of Saworo-Ide, Maami, Oleku, Ti Oluwa n'ile, Sango, Magun, Efunsetan Aniwura, Eku Ida, Ayo ni mo fe, Ogbori Elemosho, Agogo Eewo, Kodun kopo Kope (KKK), Irapada; and those old Yoruba movies with epic village settings, 100% indigenous costumes and beautiful sounding Yoruba.

Everything in this generation just seems to be going downhill. Even the movies. Don't even go to music. .. Like seriously, how hard can it be?

OMG did Nairaland just crash for 10 minutes? couldn't post for more than 15 minutes straight, smh.

As in, those where the good days. Nowadays I cry after puking while such horror called movie.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by noble2faith(m): 11:45pm On Jun 23, 2019
Greenback:
Only one outta 10 ngbantiWood so-called movie makes sense. The rest are pure notice making busshhhht.

Tribalistically creative!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Unlimitk2(m): 11:59pm On Jun 23, 2019
abdulkayus:

Do u know you sound so stupid. U are such an unrepentant hater and a bigot. U don't have problem with the Yoruba movies, your problem is with the great Islamic religion. In Yoruba movies, Islam, Christianity and traditional religion are portrayed but u didn't attack then, u only attack the Islamic religion, which shows how bigotry is running through your vein. Purge ur mind of hatred do as to live long.
Shut d fukk up
If u have seen me on nairaland commenting, u will know I always say my mind
If I don't like something, I dont pretend like Yorubas normally do
I'm a person that notice things a lot
If I see anything happening I notice it
And what i noticed is that Yoruba movies have been hijacked by Islamic mob
Imagine my dad cousin in d UK learning about Yoruba culture by watching our movie, then all d names of characters in d movies are Muslims names,they will b dressing like hausa and b saying Arabic and making fun of pastors
That's what yoruba movies have turned to now
I can't even watch a movie to showcase my culture anymore without seeing some religion bullshit
I started noticing this stuff around 2015
I watch Africa magic yoruba a lot and it wasnt like this before 2015 during d time of odunlade and co
Note:I'm an atheist ,but I could care less about any religion
Even d Christian yorubas now have run away to English speaking nollywood now
They have left it for u guys,
Bet it with me
In d nearest future,other ppl will b complaing about Yoruba movies too

Mtchew! Rubbish

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by babzo(m): 12:00am On Jun 24, 2019
Uyomeyouyo:

How is one or two or three or at most 10 (very unlikely) non Yoruba artistes in the Yoruba movie industry "many" Is that why we must sacrifice our language Nonsense!

It's so bad one person will be speaking English while the other will be responding in Yoruba... embarassed

I didnt say there are many non Yoruba actors, i said there are many Movies that feature such actors.

What is nonsense about responding in another language in a country with 200 languages where EVERYONE speaks 2 or more languages.
You have a movie set in 2019 and you pretend EVERYONE speaks just one language, when in reality, practically no one in that part of the country does that.

There is nothing wrong in having a movie where just Yoruba is spoken like the movie Oduduwa, there is also nothing wrong in having a movie where Yoruba is mixed with English; to each his own, its still a free country.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by babzo(m): 12:02am On Jun 24, 2019
YourNemesis:

You are looking at this from the obtuse angle..lol

First, the fact that they are already speaking Yoruba in a supposed Yoruba movie shows that they WANT TO make the movie despite the non-existent or only marginal profit gains. You do know that many of them have the choice of making movies in English or joining English nollywood, right?
What is needed is just more regulation, every national, subnational or even ethnic movie board do some level of regulation on what can be or can not be churned out. But in Nigeria, they do nothing.... But of course that should not surprise anyone really, because this is a country that can't even enforce issues as serious as national borders talk less movie regulation.

I no fit laff.

Obtuse? Hmmmm.

You cannot regulate what language people choose to speak. What regulations would you be trying to enforce?
It doesnt cost that much to produce a Nigerian movie; why not show us the way.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by CEOwatazs: 12:04am On Jun 24, 2019
please is the OP still alive? if no... den fu#k dx moderator fr delaying to push thread lik dx but will be in a haste to forward tontoV(R)egina posts dx dayx
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by lekbel09(m): 12:04am On Jun 24, 2019
YourNemesis:

The part i hate the most is the ruubbish mixture of english and yoruba language ,its freaking annoying and makes them sound foolish,its called yoruba movies for a reason and its to promote the rich cultural heritage of omoluabi
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by kayroc: 12:21am On Jun 24, 2019
South Korean movie industry is making waves due to strict government support and control. Right now Nollywood is unregulated so they simply produce films to cater to the lowest common denominator in society. That is why we are where we are when it comes to films.

For Yoruba movie industry to get it right, government must support them and take time to set strong standard. Have you noticed that Chinese films don't really glorify witchcraft? Even the stunts they do are claimed to be due to training. This is because the Chinese government does not allow the promotion of superstition so such things can't enter the film.

We need that here.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Nobody: 12:21am On Jun 24, 2019
Who tells you that you can't make it, i can make it me i can, 2013 thread suddenly remembered,

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by xyz123456: 12:26am On Jun 24, 2019
babzo:

I understand your point, but anyone really interested in promoting Yoruba or Ibo or Hausa culture or language, should make his own movie. If my focus as a businessman is to make money, i can even make a movie where they are speaking Yoruba and Spanish! Mind you many Yoruba movies have Ibo and Benin actors like Regina Chukwu and Mercy Aigbe. The freedom of capitalism should never be sacrificed on the altar of "lets promote our culture ". Thats a job for the Ogun State Ministry of Culture and Tourism or the Federal counterpart or maybe like you mentioned let the Yoruba Movies Board fund such a movie and pay actors well; not the "Egbon/Aunty please help me manage this 20k till we sell" mentality that pervades the Yoruba movie industry.
This is Mark Zuckerburg mentality. There is a very thin line between capitalism and greediness. If everybody thinks like this, the world will be the worst place for all of us. In as much as we want to make money in our business, we should improve the quality. Not just making money,
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Tsam96(m): 12:29am On Jun 24, 2019
Like some people already noted OP didn't even mention that cogent issues and only focused on the part of the problem that suits him the most.. like seriously, what has d name got to do with the quality of Yoruba movies...so they shud use names like chicken, bulldog, hyena to depict criminals or what.. All I see in this post is religious sentimentalism..
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by babzo(m): 12:38am On Jun 24, 2019
xyz123456:

This is Mark Zuckerburg mentality. There is a very thin line between capitalism and greediness. If everybody thinks like this, the world will be the worst place for all of us. In as much as we want to make money in our business, we should improve the quality. Not just making money,

Capitalism is the reason we have Facebook, WhatsApp, cell phones, laptops, cars....the list is endless.

The low quality producers with their crappy movies will continue to make little or no profit despite churning out 3 movies a month; while professionals like Mainframe and Afolayan will continue to take their time to produce one or two quality Yoruba movies a year and make millions or naira in profit with just one movie. Capitalism ensures that.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by SunriseW(f): 1:43am On Jun 24, 2019
The writer make sense o
I often watch often Yoruba,Hausa and Igbo too and I can say I find it easier allowing minors watch Igbo and Hausa movies with me.
Yoruba movies can easily corrupt.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Lovelyn451(f): 2:37am On Jun 24, 2019
T
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by XavierD(f): 3:16am On Jun 24, 2019

Must all Yoruba actresses bleach their skin?

Must they all quarrel and abuse people from the beginning of the movie till the end

Must their charms always succeed ?

Must they portray marriage to be difficult and husband difficult to get?

Morality and entertainment have truly taken back seat in Yoruba movies

Missing those days if epic villages scenes with great stories

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by MetaPhysical: 4:49am On Jun 24, 2019
OP,
I couldn't write down my thoughts on this provoking subject earlier but I gave commitment to put something down as input.

We spend good amount of time blaming our retrogression on Nigeria but I believe majority of our problem is our own doing. The topic you opened covers many areas and aspects of our culture but in order not to digress from the main issue I will focus myself with the precise issue of Yoruba Screen Entertainment.

Who determines who shall be a celebrity, and how is that selection made? What is the authority that determines which produced movie we will see and which we will not? Who determines what scripts to finance and produce and which one to reject?

Whoever these authorities are, knowingly or unknowingly, they control the future of Yoruba Cultural exchange across the globe. Here is my next question.... Are these authorities registered with any Oodua Socio-Cultural Commission or Group?
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:17am On Jun 24, 2019
Opiletool:
What I hate most is their penchant for cursing. Most especially odunlade. He curses a lot.

Plus, most of their actresses are mediocre at best. Runs girls looking for ways to up their games of attracting sugar daddys or fuji musicians. They wear fake clothes and shoes that don't conform with the role of the scene. For instance, a lady going to fight her friend would put on a mini gown with ridiculously high heel shoes. Some will even be uncomfortable with the clothes, adjusting every seconds. With stupid acting that compensate their dumb story lines. Lacking every sense of verisimilitude.

Have i mentioned that majority of the actors are hyenas? With disgusting poorly bleached skins, obesed bodies, and scary makeups.

What about poor directing? Lack of adequate research? An instance is their feable, amateurish attempt to portray a real life personality, or retell a history. From Shina Rambo, to Anini, and the pure junks Odunlade keeps churning out. Yet, the fools will complain they don't make money. How the hell do they expect to cash out from mediocrity?
I just switch channels when I hear any curse! Odunade adekola is not worthy of being called a movie actor....
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:18am On Jun 24, 2019
Gratefulheart01:

Disagree or agree, that's not the point. His false portrayal of yoruba movies as the only culprit of his allegations is what is wrong. If yoruba movies are guilty, then every other Nigerian movies are guilty too.
Yoruba movies are scripted and acted by shallow minds...
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:19am On Jun 24, 2019
Uyomeyouyo:

Must you watch a Yoruba film
Izzit your TV?
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:20am On Jun 24, 2019
kernniejay:
Apart from their usual dependence on diabolical means to unravel knotty issues before the movies can be brought to a conclusion, you also forget to mention the problem of employing semi literate translators to subtitle most of their movies in English. Some subtitle are so bad that they attempt to give a direct translation of Yoruba proverbs to English, an unnecessary efforts and misinforming a non-yaruba audience on what is actually communicated. In some cases, the subtitle will tell you an entirely different story from what is actually the story line, and give you a different picture of what is really transpiring in the movie.

No use of intellectual abilities to discern....they must go to a Baba always... Kilode gan
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:21am On Jun 24, 2019
babyfaceafrica:
so because someone watches Yoruba play
.he/she is not serious with life?..how do u people think self?..very petty!!..live and et others leave..what audacity do u have to conclude on what people watch and maligning them is out of life. be guided!,
He's right.... you know?!
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:21am On Jun 24, 2019
Angelfrost:
Good and timely write up... But, why single out Yoruba movies?

Yoruba movies are merely a bad subset of a morally decadent Nigerian entertainment industry.
We don't watch Igbo movies...or kannywood
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:22am On Jun 24, 2019
lakesider:

So in ur stupid brain. U think Christianity is better than juju
Be civil.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:23am On Jun 24, 2019
Unlimitk2:

Better shut d fukk up
I can't watch Yoruba movies anymore without hearing Allah Akbar muniru Alfa and all those Islamic crap
Yoruba movies have turned to nothing but Islamic crap now
I can't even watch it anymore
Imagine my dad now watches Igbo movies
This is watch u guys have turned Yoruba movies to with your religious crap
Enjoy your Ibrahim chatta adebayo tijani and other Muslims who have turned Yoruba movies to crap
Oh! Read the news again
See the end, it was even written by a yoruba Muslim in 2013

Hehehe you don vex
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by lagosrd: 5:26am On Jun 24, 2019
Read more: http://-omoooduarere..com/2013/11/yoruba-movie-industry-is-getting-it.html#ixzz2lAsk3KYF
[/quote]

Your allegations are baseless and laced with religious sentiments under the cover of morality. This is the same way your people demolished a hotel in abuja. It's not compulsory you watch their movies and if you must advice, they have a president you can talk to. When I see posts like this I make sure I lie in wait ahead of your bias when is evidence in your write-up. Nigeria is a secular nation and you must accept that.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:26am On Jun 24, 2019
JubrilBuhari:
Yoruba is all about juju, pepper, oil soup and skull slamming.
Nothing more!
Reductionism.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by weyreypey: 5:28am On Jun 24, 2019
yemolz:
They're really portraying our cultural values wrongly, they front tattoo as if it's part of our entity.
Slangs are now the order of the day in our movies, most especially Yoruba movie.
They consult herbalist on every issues as if is our norms.
I think they have to be corrected on some their wrong ideologies.
We have tattoos as part of Yoruba culture but not the type they flaunt.
Herbalist consulting is not a norm in Yoruba land.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by gaventa: 5:35am On Jun 24, 2019
You got my attention but I won’t agree with you about triumphing over Christianity. Religion is no competition. Take it or you leave it We are Africans and African we will remain.The traditional African religions (or traditional beliefs and practices of African people) are a set of highly diverse beliefs that include various ethnic religions.Generally, these traditions are oral rather than scriptural,include belief in a supreme creator, belief in spirits, veneration of the dead, use of magic and traditional African medicine. you called it witchcraft but it’s somthing totally different. It’s our roots and nothing can stop it. As long as the Chinese haven’t stopped using their chopsticks and also taking there gods important despite still believing in Onlt creator. We should also understand that GOD is too BIG to be served and worship in just one way. I believe in GOD and go to church too but Tradition won’t be neglected. Christianity isn’t ours let’s not forget. We will never be able to know or worship Jesus like people who own the religion
plusfield:
You forgot to add the over riding diabolic activities and ritualistic tendencies which seem to have gained dominion over common good as projected by most yoruba movies. The plots seem to be centred around 'juju', witchcrafts and occultic practices and even most of these movies,they are even made to triumph over christianity and common good thereby making it appear like a norm to a young mind.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by kakaG: 5:42am On Jun 24, 2019
Emilokoiyawon:

I agree with diabolic activities but I see nothing wrong with traditional rituals. And why should Yoruba culture promote Christianity? Is Christianity our traditional culture?

Get the point dude, it's your type he is addressing. When I read to that point I figured out he meant Christianity, Islam and descent traditional practices. If given the opportunity to direct or produce a movie you'll disgrace Nigeria big time.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Best Movie You Watched In 2018? / Davido: I Want Omashola To Win BBNaija. Tacha, Kim Oprah, Omashola My Friends / Photos From Big Brother Naija Saturday Night Party Week 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.