Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,816 members, 7,813,695 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:29 PM

Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong (44942 Views)

The Nollywood Industry Is Dying Slowly / Is Nollywood A Worthy Movie-industry? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Nobody: 10:08pm On Jun 23, 2019
4w4eva:

I disagree with you. They end up polluting minds, inculcate too my negative things before the few seconds you think they are teaching morals.

Disagree or agree, that's not the point. His false portrayal of yoruba movies as the only culprit of his allegations is what is wrong. If yoruba movies are guilty, then every other Nigerian movies are guilty too.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by TheKingIsHere: 10:09pm On Jun 23, 2019
Opiletool:
What I hate most is their penchant for cursing. Most especially odunlade. He curses a lot.

Plus, most of their actresses are mediocre at best. Runs girls looking for ways to up their games of attracting sugar daddys or fuji musicians. They wear fake clothes and shoes that don't conform with the role of the scene. For instance, a lady going to fight her friend would put on a mini gown with ridiculously high heel shoes. Some will even be uncomfortable with the clothes, adjusting every seconds. With stupid acting that compensate their dumb story lines. Lacking every sense of verisimilitude.

Have i mentioned that majority of the actors are hyenas? With disgusting poorly bleached skins, obesed bodies, and scary makeups.

What about poor directing? Lack of adequate research? An instance is their feable, amateurish attempt to portray a real life personality, or retell a history. From Shina Rambo, to Anini, and the pure junks Odunlade keeps churning out. Yet, the fools will complain they don't make money. How the hell do they expect to cash out from mediocrity?

Lol, bros you dey vex o. cheesy

But you have salient points

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Uyomeyouyo: 10:09pm On Jun 23, 2019
uuzba:

The subtitling use to hook O. Only one English sentence will be on screen and the actor will be firing mgbati-mgbati for 5 mins.

Must you watch a Yoruba film

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by martineverest(m): 10:09pm On Jun 23, 2019
seriously,as an Edo that understandsl Yoruba language a little,Yoruba films used to be very interesting...the koto aye,Oleku saworoide etc were epic And outta this world....the kind of movies u see now is pure trash

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by kernniejay(m): 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2019
Apart from their usual dependence on diabolical means to unravel knotty issues before the movies can be brought to a conclusion, you also forget to mention the problem of employing semi literate translators to subtitle most of their movies in English. Some subtitle are so bad that they attempt to give a direct translation of Yoruba proverbs to English, an unnecessary efforts and misinforming a non-yaruba audience on what is actually communicated. In some cases, the subtitle will tell you an entirely different story from what is actually the story line, and give you a different picture of what is really transpiring in the movie.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by RemiTinubu(f): 10:11pm On Jun 23, 2019
[s]
OSUigboKiller:

Oh really?
Please tell me more
[/s]
trash

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by babyfaceafrica: 10:12pm On Jun 23, 2019
alabi484:

That cursing annoys me like crazy...one of the reasons I don't watch yoruba films anymore....people who watch them sef, I don't tend to thonk them as being serious with life
so because someone watches Yoruba play
.he/she is not serious with life?..how do u people think self?..very petty!!..live and et others leave..what audacity do u have to conclude on what people watch and maligning them is out of life. be guided!,

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by yesloaded: 10:13pm On Jun 23, 2019
YourNemesis:
Is it only that?

How about their horrible code-mixing between 60% English and 40% Half baked Yoruba that they call discussions in Yoruba?

They may think that it makes them sound "posh", but seriously, it is disgusting!

Why would I go the length of watching a movie in Yoruba only to hear them speaking English half the time when english nollywood or even America's hollywood is there for me to watch I wanted 'spren spren' English grammar?
Yoruba actors of the 90s and early 2000's to mid 2010s were waay better in their Yoruba language diction and knowledge including in mannerisms and traditions. What we have these days are just mass produced trash that do not last 1 month in popularity before fading out into oblivion.

When was the last time the Yoruba movie industry produced a movie the quality of Saworo-Ide, Maami, Oleku, Ti Oluwa n'ile, Sango, Magun, Efunsetan Aniwura, Eku Ida, Ayo ni mo fe, Ogbori Elemosho, Agogo Eewo, Kodun kopo Kope (KKK), Irapada; and those old Yoruba movies with epic village settings, 100% indigenous costumes and beautiful sounding Yoruba.

Everything in this generation just seems to be going downhill. Even the movies.

OMG did Nairaland just crash for 10 minutes? couldn't post for more than 15 minutes straight, smh.

Give it to Tunde Kelani grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Angelfrost(m): 10:15pm On Jun 23, 2019
Good and timely write up... But, why single out Yoruba movies?

Yoruba movies are merely a bad subset of a morally decadent Nigerian entertainment industry.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by AbbeyvanPersie(m): 10:16pm On Jun 23, 2019
TeeBabss:
If you watched 'ORI, IRU ESIN, OGO OSUPA, OLOLADE MR MONEY, SAWORO IDE and the likes.....
Say Hi
Hi, I didnt watch ogo osupa thou
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by YourNemesis: 10:16pm On Jun 23, 2019
Uyomeyouyo:

Thank you my brother!

The use of English in Yoruba films disgusts me silly!!

The Adeoti brothers (producers) are behind this useless concept!!!

If you want to make an English movie, just go ahead and make one. I hate seeing regular Yoruba artists blowing English. I am like, wtf

Even Babalawo now speaks English in Yoruba movies... embarassed

Bullllshiiiit!!!

It makes my body crawl honestly speaking, I am not making this up.
They speak English in between Yoruba lines even MORE than they do in real life, because they are of the warped opinion that it makes them look less local.... So in most instances, it is even a deliberate effort in places where such BS is not needed.

Someone needs to seriously talk some sense into the heads of Yoruba movie producers.

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by lakesider(m): 10:17pm On Jun 23, 2019
plusfield:
You forgot to add the over riding diabolic activities and ritualistic tendencies which seem to have gained dominion over common good as projected by most yoruba movies. The plots seem to be centred around 'juju', witchcrafts and occultic practices and even most of these movies,they are even made to triumph over christianity and common good thereby making it appear like a norm to a young mind.

So in ur stupid brain. U think Christianity is better than juju
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by AbbeyvanPersie(m): 10:18pm On Jun 23, 2019
yesloaded:

Give it to Tunde Kelani grin
Tunde Kelani na boss. I give it to him any time any day
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Unlimitk2(m): 10:19pm On Jun 23, 2019
Xisnin:
Forget the deceptive headline.
The OP is either a religious extremist masquerading as a concerned fan or suffering from inferiority complex.
All over the world, movies are acted using real names of people but this
OP don't want Kudirat, Jeleel and others to be used by people who commit crimes
or immorality in movies but he doesn't if Yoruba names like Kola or Tunde is used because
they are supposedly not holy.

Is he telling us that criminals in real life don't use Muslim or foreign names?
Are the people with "holy" names holy in real life?
Just go through the crime section and you will see that most of the suspects have an
holy name.

He is essentially telling Nollywood not to represent reality.
Better shut d fukk up
I can't watch Yoruba movies anymore without hearing Allah Akbar muniru Alfa and all those Islamic crap
Yoruba movies have turned to nothing but Islamic crap now
I can't even watch it anymore
Imagine my dad now watches Igbo movies
This is watch u guys have turned Yoruba movies to with your religious crap
Enjoy your Ibrahim chatta adebayo tijani and other Muslims who have turned Yoruba movies to crap
Oh! Read the news again
See the end, it was even written by a yoruba Muslim in 2013

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Uyomeyouyo: 10:19pm On Jun 23, 2019
YourNemesis:

It makes my body crawl honestly speaking, I am not making this up.
They speak English in between Yoruba lines even MORE than they do in real life, because they are of the warped opinion that it makes them look less local.... So in most instances, it is even a deliberate effort in places where such BS is not needed.

Someone needs to seriously talk some sense into the heads of Yoruba movie producers.

Hopefully they get to read this.

Otherwise, they will lose a viewer. But for my wife, what am I even doing on Yoruba movie channels sef

Currently watching "Incredible Dr. Pol". I don't expect to hear Yoruba. I am cool with it rather than watching a Yoruba movie with 60% English... embarassed
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Pacgmt(m): 10:20pm On Jun 23, 2019
But why all the gate man no dey get sense

4 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by babzo(m): 10:21pm On Jun 23, 2019
YourNemesis:

No, sometimes movies can be a deliberate force for good, correcting the wrongs of society.
They have a Yoruba movies board, they need to start screening movies with less than 80% Yoruba language content. So many language regulatory boards across the world do it, including French, German and even Hindi.

I understand your point, but anyone really interested in promoting Yoruba or Ibo or Hausa culture or language, should make his own movie. If my focus as a businessman is to make money, i can even make a movie where they are speaking Yoruba and Spanish! Mind you many Yoruba movies have Ibo and Benin actors like Regina Chukwu and Mercy Aigbe. The freedom of capitalism should never be sacrificed on the altar of "lets promote our culture ". Thats a job for the Ogun State Ministry of Culture and Tourism or the Federal counterpart or maybe like you mentioned let the Yoruba Movies Board fund such a movie and pay actors well; not the "Egbon/Aunty please help me manage this 20k till we sell" mentality that pervades the Yoruba movie industry.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by babzo(m): 10:21pm On Jun 23, 2019
Pacgmt:
But why all the gate man no dey get sense

I wonder o grin

2 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by owoshuyi(m): 10:22pm On Jun 23, 2019
One yoruba film I watch that year. I will never forget that scene.
A FAMILY HAD A SPIRITUAL PROBLEM AND WENT TO A PASTOR FOR PRAYERS.
AFTER COUNSELING, THE PASTOR DECIDED TO PRAY AND THIS IS WHAT HE SAID

E JE KI A GBADURA (meaning: let us pray)

and immediately he said

NI ORUKO JESU NI A GBADURA (meaning: in Jesus name we have prayed)

dem come cut scene

maka why na grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Globallords(m): 10:22pm On Jun 23, 2019
Gratefulheart01:

You're only trying to cover up your confusion with the complicated composition but you're simply off-point and your bigoted soul forgot that movies from other Nigerian regions too portray diabolic activities, rituals and witchcraft, not only Yoruba movies.
Why are you so prejudiced in your opinion when the others too do the same?

A movie is a reflection of what is happening in the society but a good movie does more than that by discouraging the vices in reflections it portrays.

Yoruba movies and any other good movies always end up most times teaching people that doing evil doesn't pay.

The writer is so bias.... Most of these bad behaviours later turns out to be regretted in almost every movie, the major concern is how effective the PG (parental guidance) is, we don't follow it

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Uyomeyouyo: 10:24pm On Jun 23, 2019
babzo:

I understand your point, but anyone really interested in promoting Yoruba or Ibo or Hausa culture or language, should make his own movie. If my focus as a businessman is to make money, i can even make a movie where they are speaking Yoruba and Spanish! Mind you many Yoruba movies have Ibo and Benin actors like Regina Chukwu and Mercy Aigbe. The freedom of capitalism should never be sacrificed on the altar of "lets promote our culture ". Thats a job for the Ogun State Ministry of Culture and Tourism or the Federal counterpart or maybe like you mentioned let the Yoruba Movies Board fund such a movie and pay actors well; not the "Egbon/Aunty please help me manage this 20k till we sell" mentality that pervades the Yoruba movie industry.

How is one or two or three or at most 10 (very unlikely) non Yoruba artistes in the Yoruba movie industry "many" Is that why we must sacrifice our language Nonsense!

It's so bad one person will be speaking English while the other will be responding in Yoruba... embarassed
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Fidelismaria: 10:27pm On Jun 23, 2019
grin grin grin

6yrs old thread

Hahaha

I laugh in lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by YourNemesis: 10:28pm On Jun 23, 2019
babzo:

You are looking at this from the obtuse angle..lol

First, the fact that they are already speaking Yoruba in a supposed Yoruba movie shows that they WANT TO make the movie despite the non-existent or only marginal profit gains. You do know that many of them have the choice of making movies in English or joining English nollywood, right?
What is needed is just more regulation, every national, subnational or even ethnic movie board do some level of regulation on what can be or can not be churned out. But in Nigeria, they do nothing.... But of course that should not surprise anyone really, because this is a country that can't even enforce issues as serious as national borders talk less movie regulation.

I no fit laff.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by AkataYeriYeri: 10:29pm On Jun 23, 2019
Xisnin:
Forget the deceptive headline.
The OP is either a religious extremist masquerading as a concerned fan or suffering from inferiority complex.
All over the world, movies are acted using real names of people but this
OP doesn't want Kudirat, Jeleel, and others not to be used by people who commit crimes
or immorality in movies because the name is "holy" but he doesn't mind if Yoruba names like Kola or Tunde.

Is he telling us that criminals in real life don't use Muslim, christian or foreign names?
Are the people with "holy" names holy in real life?
Just go through the crime section and you will see that most of the suspects have an
holy name.

He is essentially telling Nollywood not to represent reality.
You need to fuck_ off . You bigot !

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jun 23, 2019
Globallords:

The writer is so bias.... Most of these bad behaviours later turns out to be regretted in almost every movie, the major concern is how effective the PG (parental guidance) is, we don't follow it

Don't mind him, writer is as bias as the majority audience on NL most times. That's why i just come here to read the info most times and not post anything. Let them pour out all the hate and bigotry in them, if it makes them feel better.
Today is one of their hay days, let them enjoy it.

1 Like

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by ednut1(m): 10:38pm On Jun 23, 2019
Skmoda360:

bro Tunde, but the guy is saying the truth now......most Yoruba films nowadays are not it....we ain't learning anything from it except evil...well done tunbocity
there is a reason. And its not the film makers fault. If he invests wella he wont break even hence the low quality traah
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by Bash92(m): 10:38pm On Jun 23, 2019
TeeBabss:
If you watched 'ORI, IRU ESIN, OGO OSUPA, OLOLADE MR MONEY, SAWORO IDE and the likes.....
Say Hi
Watch saworoide again last week on YouTube. It's my best Yoruba movie till date.
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by JubrilBuhari: 10:39pm On Jun 23, 2019
Yoruba is all about juju, pepper, oil soup and skull slamming.
Nothing more!
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by MetaPhysical: 10:48pm On Jun 23, 2019
I must tender tender input on this topic. I have to....
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by abdulkayus(m): 10:53pm On Jun 23, 2019
Unlimitk2:

Better shut d fukk up
I can't watch Yoruba movies anymore without hearing Allah Akbar muniru Alfa and all those Islamic crap
Yoruba movies have turned to nothing but Islamic crap now
I can't even watch it anymore
Imagine my dad now watches Igbo movies
This is watch u guys have turned Yoruba movies to with your religious crap
Enjoy your Ibrahim chatta adebayo tijani and other Muslims who have turned Yoruba movies to crap
Oh! Read the news again
See the end, it was even written by a yoruba Muslim in 2013

Do u know you sound so stupid. U are such an unrepentant hater and a bigot. U don't have problem with the Yoruba movies, your problem is with the great Islamic religion. In Yoruba movies, Islam, Christianity and traditional religion are portrayed but u didn't attack then, u only attack the Islamic religion, which shows how bigotry is running through your vein. Purge ur mind of hatred do as to live long.

3 Likes

Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by TeeBabss(m): 10:56pm On Jun 23, 2019
Bash92:
Watch saworoide again last week on YouTube. It's my best Yoruba movie till date.

Wow
Definitely going to watch it again too
Re: Yoruba Movie Industry Is Getting It Wrong by yemolz: 11:05pm On Jun 23, 2019
They're really portraying our cultural values wrongly, they front tattoo as if it's part of our entity.
Slangs are now the order of the day in our movies, most especially Yoruba movie.
They consult herbalist on every issues as if is our norms.
I think they have to be corrected on some their wrong ideologies.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

What Is The Best Movie You Watched In 2018? / Davido: I Want Omashola To Win BBNaija. Tacha, Kim Oprah, Omashola My Friends / Photos From Big Brother Naija Saturday Night Party Week 3

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.