Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,213 members, 7,815,240 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:29 AM

So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? - Family (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? (8849 Views)

Am I Wrong In Asking My Husband "How Are You"? / Why You Should Be Careful In Choosing Your Next Of Kin (Photos) / What Is Wrong In Taking Money From Your Hubby's Pocket? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by Nobody: 9:22pm On Nov 28, 2013
coogar: MMotimo kicking knowledge as usual. that write-up was a good read & very insightful. ileoba is no extremist, she just feigns to be a wild cat - she's actually a puppy.

Too many lizzy's man on this forum grin grin grin
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by damiso(f): 8:19am On Nov 29, 2013
coogar:

haaaa, damiso didn't get the memo.
there's black friday in the UK tomorrow - big shops have stolen the idea & prices are to be slashed up to 70% discount.

i am taking tomorrow off sef so i can shop till i drop. christmas came too soon. asda, john lewis & amazon have caught the bug. miss it, miss o
Father Lord in heaven, the world has indeed turned into a consumeristic mess grin grin.UK people and copy copy and buy buy. grin grin grin

Thanks coogar sha.amazon does have good deals on some toys grin grin
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by EfemenaXY: 8:56am On Nov 29, 2013
coogar:

haaaa, damiso didn't get the memo.
there's black friday in the UK tomorrow - big shops have stolen the idea & prices are to be slashed up to 70% discount.

i am taking tomorrow off sef so i can shop till i drop. christmas came too soon. asda, john lewis & amazon have caught the bug. miss it, miss out.

Coogar, d'you know if these Black Friday deals for Amazon extend to their Kindle e-readers? Particularly the new Paperwhite WiFi / 3G model?

Abeg respond sharp-sharp...don't want to miss out on it cheesy
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 9:38am On Nov 29, 2013
Efemena_xy:

Coogar, d'you know if these Black Friday deals for Amazon extend to their Kindle e-readers? Particularly the new Paperwhite WiFi / 3G model?

Abeg respond sharp-sharp...don't want to miss out on it cheesy

i am sure they do - kindles are being sold now as low as £49 - £54. they better reduce the price of the new playstation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/10479262/Black-Friday-hits-the-UK-with-Christmas-discounts-of-up-to-70-per-cent-for-shoppers.html
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by EfemenaXY: 3:57pm On Nov 29, 2013
^^ Nope - Just had a look and they're only offering a £5.00 discount (£164.99) sad sad

http://www.valuebasket.com/en_GB/Amazon-Kindle-Paperwhite-3G-E-Reader-(Black)/mainproduct/view/11617-AA-BK

I knew the price you mentioned was too good to be true

Oh well... smiley
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 4:02pm On Nov 29, 2013
Efemena_xy: ^^ Nope - Just had a look and they're only offering a £5.00 discount (£164.99) sad sad

http://www.valuebasket.com/en_GB/Amazon-Kindle-Paperwhite-3G-E-Reader-(Black)/mainproduct/view/11617-AA-BK

I knew the price you mentioned was too good to be true

Oh well... smiley

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by lynk106: 4:39am On Dec 02, 2013
I personally refuse to be that woman begging my husband for money to buy menstrual pads... grin

at least 50% of college educated students in USA are women. tell me these women plan to stay at home and have zero professional ambitions. hahaha you got jokes.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by lynk106: 5:40am On Dec 02, 2013
coogar:

there are grants, financial aid & scholarships for students who want to go to ivy league schools. the emphasis is more on the i brilliance of the children than the pockets of their parents.

for instance, 60% of the kids in havard are on financial aid. contrary to the nonsense you typed up there, majority of the students @ havard cannot afford paying their fees from the pockets of their 2 working parents.

kandiikane - another myth busted!!!

but you didn't answer the question. financial aid or not, survey all those students and overwhelming majority of them come from families with two working parents. In fact,you are more likely to find children from single (working) mom household than to find kids of stay at home moms at ivy league schools.

your idea that children raised by stay at home moms are somehow superior is very stupid.
I associate stay at home moms with either the ultra-wealthy or the hillybilly red-neck, ultra conservative christian whites who still believe that the world is flat and evolution is heresy. These aren't d folks you will find in d ivy league anyway.
those are the people I associate stay-at-home moms with. The rest are stay at home not by choice (lost their job, recently gave birth etc).

and talkless of blacks or africans abroad. I have NEVER meet a stay-at-home mom of black or african origin. grin unless she just came from Africa and can't yet find a job. Even children of African parents can feel the suffocation on their independence talk-less of women who are full grown adults to have to live that way and be dependent on their husbands. it will drive one crazy. I can imagine.
ex.I can never imagine my mom as a stay-at-home mother knowing my dad's personality. I can never be a financially dependent stay at home mother either.at least not to an african husband.unless he has a very gentle personality. I'd rather be a single mother than live like that becuase it seems to me like a recipe for disaster (potential for domestic abuse, deprivation etc)
Career leads to financial independence. truth to be told. and women should definitely have their careers. Just don't have a lot of kids/use family planning.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 11:23am On Dec 02, 2013
lynk106:
but you didn't answer the question. financial aid or not, survey all those students and overwhelming majority of them come from families with two working parents. In fact,you are more likely to find children from single (working) mom household than to find kids of stay at home moms at ivy league schools.

provide your evidence & stop throwing conjectures in the air. the stay at home we are talking about is not the permanent type - it's only for the first 3 years of a child when the baby is in his formative years.

your idea that children raised by stay at home moms are somehow superior is very stüpid.
I associate stay at home moms with either the ultra-wealthy or the hillybilly red-neck, ultra conservative christian whites who still believe that the world is flat and evolution is heresy. These aren't d folks you will find in d ivy league anyway.

you are a product of your environment so when you say stay at home moms are hilly-billy rednecks then it only tells me the kind of disturbed environment you come from.

where i come from, majority of the stay at home moms sacrificed their career to nurture their kids. so there you go, they had a career before deciding to have children unlike what is in your head.

those are the people I associate stay-at-home moms with. The rest are stay at home not by choice (lost their job, recently gave birth etc).

what you associate them with is largely irrelevant. there are hundreds of millions stay at home moms that are more educated than you are.

they decided to nurture their kids because they are smart enough to know nothing they achieve in life can compensate for failure in the home.

and talkless of blacks or africans abroad. I have NEVER meet a stay-at-home mom of black or african origin. grin unless she just came from Africa and can't yet find a job. Even children of African parents can feel the suffocation on their independence talk-less of women who are full grown adults to have to live that way and be dependent on their husbands. it will drive one crazy. I can imagine. ex.I can never imagine my mom as a stay-at-home mother knowing my dad's personality. I can never be a financially dependent stay at home mother either.at least not to an african husband.

yet more idiotic assertion - what makes you think every african male has your dad's personality? the more you speak, the more it's apparent your mom should have stayed at home.

unless he has a very gentle personality. I'd rather be a single mother than live like that becuase it seems to me like a recipe for disaster (potential for domestic abuse, deprivation etc)

don't liken your own personal experience to everyone else's. the most important work any mom or dad can do is within the 4 walls of his house. if you want a career, don't have children. there's no way you can devote yourself equally to both so go & get your tubes tied.

Career leads to financial independence. truth to be told. and women should definitely have their careers. Just don't have a lot of kids/use family planning.

this is what the government wants - get enough capitalist slaves to work & work so taxes can be paid. there's a tacit message out there to demonise the stay at home moms & people like yourself have bought into it. you see slavery as liberation but no career success will ever compensate for failure at home.

5 Likes

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by kandiikane(m): 1:09pm On Dec 02, 2013
Coogar, what myth exactly? We are talking about ivy league student with both parents working and not scholarships. Point is, children are still able to perform and become successful with both parents working.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by kandiikane(m): 1:11pm On Dec 02, 2013
lynk106:

your idea that children raised by stay at home moms are somehow superior is very stupid.

and talkless of blacks or africans abroad. I have NEVER meet a stay-at-home mom of black or african origin. grin unless she just came from Africa and can't yet find a job. Even children of African parents can feel the suffocation on their independence talk-less of women who are full grown adults to have to live that way and be dependent on their husbands. it will drive one crazy. I can imagine.
ex.I can never imagine my mom as a stay-at-home mother knowing my dad's personality. I can never be a financially dependent stay at home mother either.at least not to an african husband.unless he has a very gentle personality. I'd rather be a single mother than live like that becuase it seems to me like a recipe for disaster (potential for domestic abuse, deprivation etc)

Well written, you!
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by kandiikane(m): 1:21pm On Dec 02, 2013
we are talking about is not the permanent type - it's only for the first 3 years of a child when the baby is in his formative years.
Gosh coogar you are so full of shyt. Your initial argument never said anything about temporary staying at home. It was no to career women. Majority working mothers do stay at home for a while anyway so what is your argument? Are you for or against a career woman because right now you're arguing senselessly.
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 1:30pm On Dec 02, 2013
kandiikane:
Gosh coogar you are so full of shyt. Your initial argument never said anything about temporary staying at home. It was no to career women. Majority working mothers do stay at home for a while anyway so what is your argument? Are you for or against a career woman because right now you're arguing senselessly.

it's not my fault you lack the ability to comprehend. majority working mothers do stay at a home for a while? how long is this while? stop throwing up a blanket statement that hides the fact.

kandiikane: Coogar, what myth exactly? We are talking about ivy league student with both parents working and not scholarships. Point is, children are still able to perform and become successful with both parents working.

they don't - majority of 2 working parents still cannot afford to pay the fees of ivy league schools & that's beside the point anyways - it's just another ploy of yours to veer off tangent due to the very short attention span of yours.

students going into ivy league colleges are no longer in their formative years. the focus is really about young kids in their formative years & their need to bond with their parents, no one is speaking for full grown adults here.

5 Likes

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 2:53pm On Dec 02, 2013
Coogar is just arguing for the sake of it!

You say that a career woman should not have kids...

Later, you say a woman is just to stay at home for 0 - 5 yrs and then resume working...

Which one is it really?
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 2:56pm On Dec 02, 2013
bukatyne: Coogar is just arguing for the sake of it!

You say that a career woman should not have kids...

Later, you say a woman is just to stay at home for 0 - 5 yrs and then resume working...

Which one is it really?

that's the difference. grin

1 Like

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by pickabeau1: 2:58pm On Dec 02, 2013
Una don pik up again after weekend/Thanksgiving/.... (fill in the gap)

Una no dey tire angry angry angry angry angry angry
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 5:03pm On Dec 02, 2013
coogar:

that's the difference. grin

You can't get away from the hook

I don't want to engage in an argument; I just want you to take a stand
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 5:23pm On Dec 02, 2013
bukatyne:

You can't get away from the hook

I don't want to engage in an argument; I just want you to take a stand

you cease to be a career woman the moment you take 3-5 years out of your time to nurture your kids.

a career woman is not interested in making children. their career is more important than having kids here & there and that is who coogar said all men should avoid.

bukatyne......booooooooooo! grin

2 Likes

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by bukatyne(f): 6:35pm On Dec 02, 2013
coogar:

you cease to be a career woman the moment you take 3-5 years out of your time to nurture your kids.

a career woman is not interested in making children. their career is more important than having kids here & there and that is who coogar said all men should avoid.

You cease to be a student when you defer your admission due to illness or have extra year

Take your stand and stop shifting and redefining terms.

Take care

1 Like

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 6:44pm On Dec 02, 2013
bukatyne:
You cease to be a student when you defer your admission due to illness or have extra year

Take care

go on the internet and check the meaning of a career woman. i am done spoonfeeding you.

2 Likes

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by Nobody: 6:57pm On Dec 02, 2013
bukatyne:

Take care

Rotfl!! grin
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by lynk106: 4:11am On Dec 04, 2013
coogar:

This is completely FALSE.
First of all, a career woman's interest in kids is not any less than an career man's interest in kids. If as a man, your career is more important to you than starting a family, yes, there are women who feel the same way, and rightfully so.
If as a career man, you are still interested in having a family, the yes, there are also plenty of women who feel the same way, and rightfully so.

second of all, you are not a woman so you do not even qualify to be arguing about what women want or what they should want.
You sound like those republican pundits when they start blabbering about women and dictating on how women should live, act and behave etc. Men assuming arrogant expertise in female anatomy and whatnot.

and lastly, A woman's career is setback by taking time off but she can definitely continue her career. the main reason women have a hard time with careers is due to the fact that the workplace is sexist. For example, USA is one of the few countries in the world that DOES NOT offer paid maternity leave. So, many women who want careers have to delay childbirth, suffer from setback and lower wages partially due to the fact that they took time off to raise children and therefore they fall behind in their careers.

In Northern Europe, the workplace is much accommodating and women have less problems with this. In fact, even the men in a country like Sweden have MANDATORY paternity leave because the society expects the men to partake in the raising of the child. They don't see child rearing as being an exclusively woman's job. Then again, northern European countries like Denmark and Iceland also have female prime ministers. Northern Europe is the most progressive region in the world. Even the educational attainment of their children in a country like Iceland blows the rest of the western world out of the water.

Your line of thought -the s.tupid idea that the sole purpose of a woman's existence is to produce and rear children is the same that caused girls and women to be excluded from schooling and education for centuries. That kept women uneducated and dependent, unable to vote, unable to speak for themselves (hence the plethora of men claiming expertise on women's lives and issues).
Yes, educated/career women are likely to have fewer children (the more educated a society is, the lower the birth rate). I don't see that as a bad thing. There are plenty enough illiterate baby daddys and baby mamas in the USA alone anyway. Don't come on here dictating to us what we are/should be interested in or not interested in.

Like I said, in the USA (where I live) career women are actually MORE likely to be married than their mates. The reverse was the case in the 50s and 60s when the "domesticated woman" was being promoted. but pls, this is 2013 (almost 2014). get with the times!
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by lynk106: 4:47am On Dec 04, 2013
Sweden Moves to Extend Mandatory Paternity Leave

Sweden's paternity-leave policy is inarguably the best in the world, with men given up to 240 days of government-paid time off to care for their newborns — and now politicians are looking to make it even more generous. Currently, fathers are required to at least two months off after the birth of a child, and now it's being argued that this should be extended to a minimum of three months to accommodate "the fathers of today…that take an ever increasing responsibility for home and family,"according to Folkpartiet party member Lisbet Enbjerde.

Sweden is noted as being the most feminist country on the globe, which has earned it both praise (as being a great place for women to live) and condemnation (as being a horrible place to rape someone, as if there were a good place). The paternity benefits—enacted in 1974—were initially part of the country's proactive approach to encouraging women to join the workforce, but have since come to reflect Sweden's philosophical emphasis on gender equality. Fathers aren't leaving work simply to relieve mothers' burdens, but rather to bond with their children and experience parenting in a way that only 50 years ago was socially unacceptable for men.

The result is that fathers gain quality time with their kids as well as a better understanding of traditional motherhood, perhaps more than other men in the world, as the Wall Street Journal reports. Jim Butcher, for instance, recently took a six-month leave as an executive at Spotify. He imagined his paternity leave to be a mini-vacation in which he'd spend the time working on his screenplay and going to the park with his daughter. He soon discovered that fantasy was far from the life of a full-time parent.

"I'd be lucky to have 30 minutes for myself a day. The rest was just endless cleaning, feeding, changing and picking up." He says that two weeks into it, he wondered if he was going to last the entire leave, "but I'm happy I did it and could bond with my daughter."

That kind of empathy undoubtedly only serves to strengthen a family. Perhaps Sweden has it right.

http://jezebel.com/5930842/sweden-moves-to-extend-mandatory-paternity-leave
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 11:17am On Dec 04, 2013
lynk106:
This is completely FALSE.
First of all, a career woman's interest in kids is not any less than an career man's interest in kids. If as a man, your career is more important to you than starting a family, yes, there are women who feel the same way, and rightfully so.

surely, this is trolling.....
what has a man gotta do with this? do men have wombs or fallopian tubes with which they make babies? why would having a child stop any man from pursuing his career? is he the one carrying the baby for 9 months? grin

If as a career man, you are still interested in having a family, the yes, there are also plenty of women who feel the same way, and rightfully so.

this is complete rubbish!
having children does not affect the career of any man except in cases where the man is a single father & that's postnatal period. no man will get a paternity leave before a baby is born.

second of all, you are not a woman so you do not even qualify to be arguing about what women want or what they should want.
You sound like those republican pundits when they start blabbering about women and dictating on how women should live, act and behave etc. Men assuming arrogant expertise in female anatomy and whatnot.

so i have to be a woman to know what is right with the society, how the 2 sexes should inter-relate & foster a harmonious relationship? your propensity to stretch the borders of daftness is peerless.

and lastly, A woman's career is setback by taking time off but she can definitely continue her career. the main reason women have a hard time with careers is due to the fact that the workplace is sexist. For example, USA is one of the few countries in the world that DOES NOT offer paid maternity leave. So, many women who want careers have to delay childbirth, suffer from setback and lower wages partially due to the fact that they took time off to raise children and therefore they fall behind in their careers.

finally, the penny dropped.....
that setback is the reason some women don't even think of having children. they don't want any setback or any factor that would distract them from achieving their career goals so making babies is totally out of it - that's a career woman! you cease to be a career woman the moment you take time off to make babies.

In Northern Europe, the workplace is much accommodating and women have less problems with this. In fact, even the men in a country like Sweden have MANDATORY paternity leave because the society expects the men to partake in the raising of the child. They don't see child rearing as being an exclusively woman's job. Then again, northern European countries like Denmark and Iceland also have female prime ministers. Northern Europe is the most progressive region in the world. Even the educational attainment of their children in a country like Iceland blows the rest of the western world out of the water.

finally - the penny has dropped......
and it didn't occur to you northern europe gave paternity leave because they are fully aware at least one parent must stay at home to bond with the kids in their formative years - contrary to what you people were saying? honestly, your line of reasoning is baffling....

Your line of thought -the s.tupid idea that the sole purpose of a woman's existence is to produce and rear children is the same that caused girls and women to be excluded from schooling and education for centuries. That kept women uneducated and dependent, unable to vote, unable to speak for themselves (hence the plethora of men claiming expertise on women's lives and issues).

you are chatting nonsense as usual...
funny how clueless people just shoot their mouths about the history they know nothing about. women voted in america even before the word feminism was coined. men & women had roles to play. women stayed at home, men risked their lives exploring, fighting wars for democracy you are enjoying today, etc.

was there feminism when women & children were the first to get off titanic as far back as 1912? yet you are talking bullshyte that women were unable to speak for themselves. do you know how many men(geniuses) that perished in the sea so that women/kids could be saved? women voted in wyoming as far back as 1869 - the word feminism wasn't even coined yet so tape it shut, your history knowledge sucks.

Yes, educated/career women are likely to have fewer children (the more educated a society is, the lower the birth rate). I don't see that as a bad thing. There are plenty enough illiterate baby daddys and baby mamas in the USA alone anyway. Don't come on here dictating to us what we are/should be interested in or not interested in.

educated/career women are not likely to have any children at all which was why I said they should be totally avoided. they are mostly not interested in having husbands.

this is how financial times(FT) defined the career woman.... A woman who believes that her career is more important than finding a husband or having children.

Like I said, in the USA (where I live) career women are actually MORE likely to be married than their mates. The reverse was the case in the 50s and 60s when the "domesticated woman" was being promoted. but pls, this is 2013 (almost 2014). get with the times!

then you should provide an empirical evidence that backs this claim. this is a public forum - you cannot just throw conjectures in the air & expect people to swallow it line hook & sinker. besides being more likely to marry is different from being more likely to be happy in the marriage. what is the divorce rate of career women? if it's high, why shouldn't men avoid them?

5 Likes

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by pickabeau1: 12:42pm On Dec 04, 2013
lynk106:
. For example, USA is one of the few countries in the world that DOES NOT offer paid maternity leave.

interesting......
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by lynk106: 4:04am On Dec 05, 2013
coogar:
this is how financial times(FT) defined the career woman.... A woman who believes that her career is more important than finding a husband or having children.

can you provide a link? because that's the dumbest thing I've heard, if I ever heard one.
So, how then do you define a career man?
rubbish.

A career woman is a woman who has a career. period.

coogar:
then you should provide an empirical evidence that backs this claim. this is a public forum - you cannot just throw conjectures in the air & expect people to swallow it line hook & sinker. besides being more likely to marry is different from being more likely to be happy in the marriage. what is the divorce rate of career women? if it's high,

here you go:
they are more likely to get married and less likely to get divorced. The statistics are reversed. The New York Times article is very eye-opening because it show that a lot of the drawbacks for career/educated women simply came from sexist views held by men. in the 50s and 60s, educated and career women WERE less likely to get married but in recent times, men no longer are threatened by successful and educated women. They are now starting to see women in equal terms rather than as subordinates. Although we still have a ways to go.ex maternity leave policies etc. I am speaking for the USA. not naija LOL

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/opinion/sunday/marriage-suits-educated-women.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
http://www.today.com/money/marriage-luxury-good-class-divide-who-gets-married-divorced-8C11457474

why shouldn't men avoid them?

because all men aren't the same. what TYPE of man are you talking about?

For example, to me, I believe that men with inflated egos should avoid career women (or educated women, PERIOD). Men who were raised to believe that women should be subordinate or inferior to men should not even think about it.
On the other hand, a man who was raised in a family or culture that sees women as equally important and capable of being a source of financial income will have no problem.

---
“The doctor used to marry the nurse. Today, the doctor marries the doctor,”
http://www.today.com/money/marriage-luxury-good-class-divide-who-gets-married-divorced-8C11457474
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by lynk106: 4:35am On Dec 05, 2013
One physician explained the problem in Popular Science Monthly in 1905: An educated woman developed a “self-assertive, independent character” that made it “impossible to love, honor and obey” as a real wife should. He warned that as more middle-class women attended college, middle-class men would look to the lower classes to find uneducated wives....A psychologist at the University of Texas, and his colleagues found that in 1956, education and intelligence were together ranked 11th among the things men sought in a mate. Much more important to them was finding a good cook and housekeeper who was refined, neat and had a pleasing disposition. By 1967, education and intelligence had moved up only one place, to No. 10, on men’s wish lists.....By 1996, intelligence and education had moved up to No. 5 on men’s ranking of desirable qualities in a mate. The desire for a good cook and housekeeper had dropped to 14th place, near the bottom of the 18-point scale. The sociologist Christine B. Whelan reports that by 2008, men’s interest in a woman’s education and intelligence had risen to No. 4, just after mutual attraction, dependable character and emotional stability.

----
seems like someone on this thread is stuck in 1956.

1 Like

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by lynk106: 5:22am On Dec 05, 2013
was there feminism when women & children were the first to get off titanic as far back as 1912? yet you are talking bullshyte that women were unable to speak for themselves. do you know how many men(geniuses) that perished in the sea so that women/kids could be saved? women voted in wyoming as far back as 1869 - the word feminism wasn't even coined yet so tape it shut, your history knowledge sucks.

dumb dumb dumb of you. pls do tell me how many men... oops I mean geniuses perished to save the imb.ecile women and children. rubbish
Do you actually believe that any woman in her right mind will want to go back to live in 1912? Titanic ko, Noah's ark ni.
Women and children are actually MORE likely to die on sinking ships.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/07/forget-titanic-women-and-children-rarely-first-off-sinking-ships/
This is one of the befuddling things about sexism (and even racism) is this use of the rare events (sometimes myths) to justify the status quo. It's like reading narratives of the "benevolent slave master" over again.

feminism has existed since the beginning of time. Just because a word wasn't coined doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The aspect of women's rights related to voting was called "women's suffrage" and it began as far back as 1700s in modern history. France was where it originated after the french revolution that declared that all men were equal (obviously excluding women).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Rights_of_Woman_and_the_Female_Citizen
In the USA, it began around 1840 and it was tied to the slave abolition movement which is interesting because in the 60s, the civil rights movement and feminist movement also happened at the same time. Of course, there were also many men who were sympathetic to women's rights movement. In fact, it is a necessity. At the end of the day it's a mindset issue. The politics is the easy part. The psychology and sexist mindset is the hardest part to change and most destructive.

yes, your sexist mindset stinks.

1 Like

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 9:22am On Dec 05, 2013
lynk106:
can you provide a link? because that's the dumbest thing I've heard, if I ever heard one.
So, how then do you define a career man?
rubbish.

this is the FT definition.
http://lexicon.ft.com/Term?term=career-woman

A career woman is a woman who has a career. period.

cambridge dictionary defined her as a woman whose job is more important to her than having children. http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/career-woman

collins dictionary defined a career woman as a woman with a career who is interested in working in her job, rather than staying at home looking after the house and children.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/career-woman

here you go:
they are more likely to get married and less likely to get divorced. The statistics are reversed. The New York Times article is very eye-opening because it show that a lot of the drawbacks for career/educated women simply came from sexist views held by men. in the 50s and 60s, educated and career women WERE less likely to get married but in recent times, men no longer are threatened by successful and educated women. They are now starting to see women in equal terms rather than as subordinates. Although we still have a ways to go.ex maternity leave policies etc. I am speaking for the USA. not naija LOL

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/12/opinion/sunday/marriage-suits-educated-women.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

what's the meaning of the nonsense above? your article was speaking about college educated women, not career women. since when has graduating from a college alone qualifies one as a career woman?

your article only compared the marriages of college educated graduates to the marriages of those who never graduated from a college - it's got nothing to do with career women. many stay at home moms are college graduates!

you must think you are arguing with a toddler - who do you think you are trying to run circles around?

because all men aren't the same. what TYPE of man are you talking about?

a family oriented man should avoid a career woman. since the dictionary already describes her as a woman whose main goal in life is her job & not family, she's useless to a man that wants to raise kids & thus should be avoided.

For example, to me, I believe that men with inflated egos should avoid career women (or educated women, PERIOD). Men who were raised to believe that women should be subordinate or inferior to men should not even think about it.
On the other hand, a man who was raised in a family or culture that sees women as equally important and capable of being a source of financial income will have no problem.

except that a career woman is not interested in raising kids. even when she does, she's not happy about it cos that is not her priority in life. from all evidence, it's painfully apparent you do not know the meaning of a career woman, you are just beating about the bush. why should a family oriented man settle down with a woman who can't be arsëd with raising a family?

your logic is quite baffling.....

“The doctor used to marry the nurse. Today, the doctor marries the doctor,”

this is highly irrelevant - that a woman is a college graduate does not necessarily qualify her as a career woman. if a college graduate decides to stay at home & nurture her kids, she's not a career woman. so your link is null & void to the discourse. find me a link of career women & divorce rate then we can have a proper debate.

5 Likes

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 9:43am On Dec 05, 2013
lynk106:
dumb dumb dumb of you. pls do tell me how many men... oops I mean geniuses perished to save the imb.ecile women and children. rubbish

go to your library & read history books.

Do you actually believe that any woman in her right mind will want to go back to live in 1912? Titanic ko, Noah's ark ni. Women and children are actually MORE likely to die on sinking ships.
http://arstechnica.com/science/2012/07/forget-titanic-women-and-children-rarely-first-off-sinking-ships/

because even after letting them get off first, many of them still panic & die. many more would have died if men don't let them to get out first. i mean read the article yourself & tell me there's sense in it. they are comparing the number of casualties on titanic to other shipwrecks without looking at the underlying factors.

firstly, it took several hours before titanic went down, the captain & the crew members had a bit of time to organise & enforce women & children first. we don't know if the other shipwrecks went under the same circumstances so the comparison is at best idiotic.

This is one of the befuddling things about sexism (and even racism) is this use of the rare events (sometimes myths) to justify the status quo. It's like reading narratives of the "benevolent slave master" over again.

rare events? soldiers dying all over the world so you can enjoy the freedom you have today is a rare event? when men were drafted, some as young as 17 to fight nazism, women were kept safe at home to look after the kids.

men have had to work in dangerous situations, ground-breaking inventions, coal mining, oil rigs, deep sea exploration, etc while women were doing their roles at home. no gender can really say he/she has been suppressed/caged. there were difficulties for both sexes.

feminism has existed since the beginning of time. Just because a word wasn't coined doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The aspect of women's rights related to voting was called "women's suffrage" and it began as far back as 1700s in modern history. France was where it originated after the french revolution that declared that all men were equal (obviously excluding women).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Declaration_of_the_Rights_of_Woman_and_the_Female_Citizen

this is pure nonsense -
how can anything exist hundreds of years and it wasn't called anything. you are just throwing conjectures into the air without backing it up with facts.

women voted in sierra leone in our very "sexist" africa as far back as 1792. what do you have to say to that? i am sure you would claim funmi kuti or condoleeza rice spoke for the women of freetown in that era as well.

your claim that women didn't have anyone to speak for them before feminism is asinine. stop misinforming the public.

In the USA, it began around 1840 and it was tied to the slave abolition movement which is interesting because in the 60s, the civil rights movement and feminist movement also happened at the same time. Of course, there were also many men who were sympathetic to women's rights movement. In fact, it is a necessity. At the end of the day it's a mindset issue. The politics is the easy part. The psychology and sexist mindset is the hardest part to change and most destructive.

you are talking absolute bollocks again trying to make this a gender war. men of colour & non-landowners were also prevented from voting in america as well. stop making this male vs female war. women voted in wyoming & there was no group or movement that fought for the rights of women to make such happen.

yes, your sexist mindset stinks.

this is a bit rich especially coming from a feminist that cannot discern between a college graduate & a career woman.

you should ask for a refund - your miseducation is what stinks to the high heavens.

4 Likes

Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by lynk106: 5:09am On Dec 07, 2013
career man - a man who is a careerist
career woman - a woman who is a careerist
careerist - a professional who is intent on furthering his or her career by any possible means and often at the expense of their own integrity
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/career+man
^

by this definition, women should avoid career-men as well. I guess we are even. goodnite
Re: So, What's Wrong In Choosing Marriage? by coogar: 1:17pm On Dec 08, 2013
lynk106: career man - a man who is a careerist
career woman - a woman who is a careerist
careerist - a professional who is intent on furthering his or her career by any possible means and often at the expense of their own integrity
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/career+man
^

even the weak definition of a career woman you were able to get does a woman no justice. a woman that is intent on furthering her career by any possible means & often at the expense of her own integrity

why would any family oriented man settle down for a woman who is ready to lose her integrity for a career? it means she would slëep around to go further on a career ladder.

this is depressing.....

by this definition, women should avoid career-men as well. I guess we are even. goodnite

good luck on that.....
find a jobless lout to marry. domesticate him & make him sit down at home to care for your kids while you sacrifice your own integrity to get promoted in your FTSE company. surely, he will be happy that he's freeloading on a trojan horse woman like yourself. grin cheesy

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Over Emphasis On The Girl Child. / Does A Scorpion Bite Kill? / Opinion From Mothers Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 160
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.