Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,205 members, 7,818,701 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:06 PM

In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed (1777 Views)

Prayers For Couples Trying To Conceive A Child (TTC) / Good Prayers For Muslims / Can You Perform Umrah For The Faithful Departed? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed by isalegan2: 10:08pm On Nov 20, 2013
Salaam Aleikum Wa Rahmat ul-Allah.

Recently, a very kind, thoughtful, giving and well-liked family friend unexpectedly passed away. Because of all the thoughts passing through my mind, I thought we might already have a pertinent thread that will provide a place of discussion/condolences for those going through the same thing. But I didn't see (a general) one.

I opened this topic to give us a place to share our feelings about the dearly departed.

If you want to pray for someone who is recently or long-ago deceased, please do so here.

If you simply want to voice out condolences that you can't hold inside, do that too.

Additionally, I very much welcome your suggestions of required or appropriate prayers to recite in memory of the dearly departed.

Shukran.

Note: This is not a condolence thread for me. It is for all of us to remember, share thoughts of, and pray for, deceased loved ones.
Re: In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed by isalegan2: 10:13pm On Nov 20, 2013
In Islam, Muslims of their community gather to their collective prayers for the forgiveness of the dead, a prayer is recited and this prayer is known as the Salat al-Janazah (Janazah prayer).

I have a question about Salat-al-Janazah:

Can the prayer be done for a non-Muslim, if I wish? Can I do it alone?
Re: In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed by isalegan2: 10:22pm On Nov 20, 2013
It is narrated that Muhammad (SAW) said:
"O God, forgive our living and our dead, those who are present among us and those who are absent, our young and our old, our males and our females. O God, whoever You keep alive, keep him alive in Islam, and whoever You cause to die, cause him to die with faith. O God, do not deprive us of the reward and do not cause us to go astray after this. O God, forgive him and have mercy on him, keep him safe and sound and forgive him, honour his rest and ease his entrance; wash him with water and snow and hail, and cleanse him of sin as a white garment is cleansed of dirt. O God, give him a home better than his home and a family better than his family. O God, admit him to Paradise and protect him from the torment of the grave and the torment of Hell-fire; make his grave spacious and fill it with light."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salat_al-Janazah
Re: In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed by tbaba1234: 10:23pm On Nov 20, 2013
isale_gan2: In Islam, Muslims of their community gather to their collective prayers for the forgiveness of the dead, a prayer is recited and this prayer is known as the Salat al-Janazah (Janazah prayer).

I have a question about Salat-al-Janazah:

Can the prayer be done for a non-Muslim, if I wish? Can I do it alone?

Assalamu aleikum

No, salat al Janazah is not done on a non muslim.

The greater the number of people for the Janazah, the better.

It was reported in the hadeeth of Ibn ‘Abbaas that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “There is no Muslim man who dies and forty men who do not associate anything with Allaah pray the funeral prayer for him, but Allaah will accept their intercession for him.” (Narrated by Muslim). Hence the scholars regarded it as mustahabb to look for a mosque in which there is a large congregation to pray for the deceased. The greater the number, the closer that is to goodness and the more du’aa’ will be made. (from Islamqa)
Re: In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed by isalegan2: 10:24pm On Nov 20, 2013
Thank you, Tbaba. I knew you'd come through. smiley You're awesome, young man! cool

1 Like

Re: In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed by tbaba1234: 10:27pm On Nov 20, 2013
hehehe, thank you ma! smiley
Re: In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed by isalegan2: 10:48pm On Nov 20, 2013
tbaba1234: hehehe, thank you ma! smiley

You're very welcome. I have seen your posts. You're remarkable! I would want my little brother to be like you.

You definitely paid attention in Ile-Kewu. wink Don't blame me, o jare. embarassed They pulled us out of there too soon. cheesy

If anyone can suggest prayers that would be appropriate in that situation - when Salat Janazah is not required/appropriate.

I mean, I've already prayed for him, and he has been buried. Although, I couldn't be there. sad

Surah Yasin is one I hear of a lot that is recited for the dead. Also, it is used in other situations as well. (I read that when I think of my beloved grandfather.)

http://quran.com/36
Re: In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed by maclatunji: 11:46pm On Nov 20, 2013
^Thank you for creating this thread. More power to your elbow, may Allah reward you abundantly.
Re: In Memoriam - Prayers For The Dearly Departed by isalegan2: 11:56pm On Nov 20, 2013
Macky Mac ti gbogbo wa! cheesy

(1) (Reply)

Islam embrace violence / The 10 Accursed Woman / Misconceptions About Islam !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.