Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,775 members, 7,817,171 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:43 AM

Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie (2217 Views)

How Do You Know Your Religion Or Denomination Is The Right One / What Would Make You Change Your Religion? / @frosbel, Who Is Jesus Christ? (re: A Proposition For Theological Debate) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 10:13am On Nov 21, 2013
• From the perspective of other religions opposed to yours, even though your religion descended from theirs, or theirs from yours. A good example of this is how Christians believe Jews will still go to hell without Jesus bever mind the special place they have in God, and how conservative Jews still disbelieve the Messiah (as Jesus Christ) has come and await his coming (not Jesus' second coming) on earth.

Every religion is proclaimed as truth, some moreso than others.

• Have you read the history of your religion ? And not just through the eyes of an apologist scholar who practices the religion eg William Lane Craig and so would tend to show bias against data or thought that conflucts with his religion. Have you read outside of Bible schools, if you are a Christian, and gone to other sources by historians to get a different take, on the history as it is, of your religion ? Why not ask yourself of your ancestor just a few centuries back, her religious beliefs and how different they would be from yours. Or consider that history tells us there was once no Christianity, Islam, or Judaism.

The history of religion is a cycle of life, growth and death.

• What if what you always believed deeply was a lie ? A seemingly faithful husband, an innocent child rebels, money will satisfy my wants. The emotional turmoil that results when the lie is verified drives some to madness. One way of avoiding this possible madness. Pretend the lie is actually true. But this is conflicting especially when one considers the lesson we all are taught: to speak the truth in good conscience. And if some of us have in all honesty denied one religion for a 'true one', or denied religion altogether, this should ginger a recheck of what you consider to be true, in case it is a lie.

Religion binds people to a truth so its lie is ignored

1 Like

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:19am On Nov 21, 2013

Or better still, the lie is rationalized. The mind is powerful enough to see patterns where there aren't.

Anyways, interesting thoughts. What truths do you think any religion holds?
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:23am On Nov 21, 2013
gaddem heathens smdh undecided

1 Like

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 10:28am On Nov 21, 2013
aManFromMars:
Or better still, the lie is rationalized. The mind is powerful enough to see patterns where there aren't.

Anyways, interesting thoughts. What truths do you think any religion holds?

For one. That there is truth to be found in the world. Moral truth that will help better life.

Two, the need for community. Christianity emphasizes this a lot and believe it or not that is what kept it through the Roman persecution, the Reformation and even now. Even atheists learn from it.

The need for repetition. Catholics do this a whole lot. In fact, the culture is so strong, Protestants were never reformed out of it. That is how lots of habits and thought patterns are inculcated into people and is hard to question or break as the case may be.

One may argue communities did this. But we all know religion and community go a loooooong way back. The two are deemed to have kicked of simultaenously or almost.

1 Like

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:28am On Nov 21, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Exactly. It binds them to a truth by instilling fear in them
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 10:30am On Nov 21, 2013
obadiah777: gaddem heathens smdh undecided

Just tell me whether you have asked if Christianity, especially your consipiracy-theory sort, could be a lie.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Joshthefirst(m): 10:30am On Nov 21, 2013
Nice thread.

Religion is shallow and hypocritical.

But its different with me shaa. I've examined every other with an open mind, even christianity, and I've seen futility.

But now, I know what I believe. Depth of life, reality. Deep stuff about knowlge of God. I've had doubts before, but they've been resolved.

I've seen the difference between religion and life. I know the difference, and by God, I'm living the difference.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:32am On Nov 21, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Just tell me whether you have asked if Christianity, especially your consipiracy-theory sort, could be a lie.
dunno bruv. i aint no christian. shocked cheesy

1 Like

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:33am On Nov 21, 2013
obadiah777: dunno bruv. i aint no christian. shocked cheesy

You didn't answer the question bro. Slot in whatever you are in place of "christianity"
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 10:35am On Nov 21, 2013
obadiah777: dunno bruv. i aint no christian. shocked cheesy

But you believe in Christ, at least, black Jesus Christ and the Bible. But you are denying Christianity if you claim not to be one ? Many persons here know what Christianity is and its tenets, and how the are played on. Eeem ! You think say Christianity na lie ?!
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:36am On Nov 21, 2013
rationalmind:

You didn't answer the question bro. Slot in whatever you are in place of "christianity"
i am a god. scripture do say 'ye are gods but ye shall die like men'

so ermm yes 'i am a god'
grin my religion is 'being a god' wink

1 Like

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:38am On Nov 21, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

But you believe in Christ, at least, black Jesus Christ and the Bible. But you are denying Christianity if you claim not to be one ? Many persons here know what Christianity is and its tenets, and how the are played on. Eeem ! You think say Christianity na lie ?!
ahhhh but you do err my compadre. 'christianity is a man made doctrine'. and the word 'christians' is a derogatory name used on the disciples at antioch. i aint no christian and i dayum sure aint into christianity wink wink

1 Like

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:41am On Nov 21, 2013
obadiah777: i am a god. scripture do say 'ye are gods but ye shall die like men'

so ermm yes 'i am a god'
grin my religion is 'being a god' wink

grin same thing applies. Do you constantly evaluate that belief system? Do you ever feel you may be wrong?
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 10:43am On Nov 21, 2013
Joshthefirst: Nice thread.

Calm down o ! You are a Christian. You follow, or better yet, luve by a religion.

Joshthefirst: But its different with me shaa. I've examined every other with an open mind, even christianity, and I've seen futility.

Many Christians, and believe it, popular pastors of today will claim the same.

Joshthefirst: But now, I know what I believe. Depth of life, reality. Deep stuff about knowlge of God. I've had doubts before, but they've been resolved.

Sure. What many Christians will say. One some special mission to redeem a sullied Christianity and usher a new spirit. You even have crackpots like Marilyn Manson amongst them. Pat Robertson comes close.

Joshthefirst: I've seen the difference between religion and life. I know the difference, and by God, I'm living the difference.

Which is your religion ? So why do you think your difference counts and the rest are trash. Is that what you think ? Please say.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by KraticKratus: 10:44am On Nov 21, 2013
Classic obadiah: Ignore the op and preach armagedon.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:45am On Nov 21, 2013
rationalmind:

grin same thing applies. Do you constantly evaluate that belief system? Do you ever feel you may be wrong?
i have no belief system my kind Sir. i just live life. i have no rigid constraints by which i live by. i dont go to church, fast, tithe, dip myself in a pool of water for baptism, etc etc. i live just like any person on the planet. wink

3 Likes

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by KraticKratus: 10:46am On Nov 21, 2013
Joshthefirst: Nice thread.

But its different with me shaa. I've examined every other with an open mind, even christianity, and I've seen futility.

But now, I know what I believe. Depth of life, reality. Deep stuff about knowlge of God. I've had doubts before, but they've been resolved.

I've seen the difference between religion and life. I know the difference, and by God, I'm living the difference.

What a meaningless post.

9 Likes

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:46am On Nov 21, 2013
KraticKratus: Classic obadiah: Ignore the op and preach armagedon.
au contraire compadre, i am addressing the issue full on. like a raging bull, if i may undecided
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 10:49am On Nov 21, 2013
obadiah777: ahhhh but you do err my compadre. 'christianity is a man made doctrine'. and the word 'christians' is a derogatory name used on the disciples at antioch. i aint no christian and i dayum sure aint into christianity wink wink

And your views on the Bible aren't man-made ? Okay what about Islam ? And other religions ? Do you think they are true ? Since you claim not to be into Christianity. Maybe donroxy isn't into 'Islam'.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:51am On Nov 21, 2013
obadiah777: i have no belief system my kind Sir. i just live life. i have no rigid constraints by which i live by. i dont go to church, fast, tithe, dip myself in a pool of water for baptism, etc etc. i live just like any person on the planet. wink

Hehehehe, grin grin grin how does one reply this dude
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 10:53am On Nov 21, 2013
obadiah777: i have no belief system my kind Sir. i just live life. i have no rigid constraints by which i live by. i dont go to church, fast, tithe, dip myself in a pool of water for baptism, etc etc. i live just like any person on the planet. wink

I think you are trying to playtwinkle toes so we can't tackle your beliefs. You have a belief system. Even if it is queer. Okay. With this do I assume you don't believe the Bible, Jesus resurrection and miracles ?
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:54am On Nov 21, 2013
Uyi Iredia:
For one. That there is truth to be found in the world. Moral truth that will help better life.
What's moral truth?

Uyi Iredia:
Two, the need for community. Christianity emphasizes this a lot and believe it or not that is what kept it through the Roman persecution, the Reformation and even now. Even atheists learn from it.
It's not just Christianity. Even in the animal kingdom, we find strength in packs.

Uyi Iredia:
The need for repetition. Catholics do this a whole lot. In fact, the culture is so strong, Protestants were never reformed out of it. That is how lots of habits and thought patterns are inculcated into people and is hard to question or break as the case may be.
A weak point.

Uyi Iredia:
One may argue communities did this. But we all know religion and community go a loooooong way back. The two are deemed to have kicked of simultaenously or almost.
I doubt that. We may never know anyways.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:55am On Nov 21, 2013
KraticKratus: Classic obadiah: Ignore the op and preach armagedon.
wink

on the low,brah. smiley
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 10:57am On Nov 21, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

And your views on the Bible aren't man-made ? Okay what about Islam ? And other religions ? Do you think they are true ? Since you claim not to be into Christianity. Maybe donroxy isn't into 'Islam'.
[b] my views on the bible are celestially inspired. definitely not man made. as per islam ? well i can tell you the history of islam. the moors as they were called which they were really israelites aka negros ruled europe and the whole middle-east during the dark and middle ages. they called their empire the byzantine empire. just south of israel is the land of edom which is where caucasians lived. there was a huge mix between the caucasians and hamitic africans ( ethiopians etc ) in that region which gave rise to the people we now call today arabs. the numbers of the arabs became huge and threatening to the authority of the moors so the moors needed a tool of control to keep them docile. so they concocted out of the bible another religion and called it islam and they looked for a charismatic arab named mohammed and groomed him to be the savior for the new religion and as such they controlled the arabs for a while but the plan backfired on them because the arabs took the religion seriously and all united behind the religion and kicked all the black people away from the middle east behind the religion in the 1400s. that is your first wave of slavery to the americas in the 1400s. the first black slaves were all shipped from the middle east and europe by the arabs and edomites and hamitic africans. and thats how islam was formed[/b] wink

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Joshthefirst(m): 10:59am On Nov 21, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Calm down o ! You are a Christian. You follow, or better yet, luve by a religion.

Many Christians, and believe it, popular pastors of today will claim the same.

Sure. What many Christians will say. One some special mission to redeem a sullied Christianity and usher a new spirit. You even have crackpots like Marilyn Manson amongst them. Pat Robertson comes close.

my life backs up my claim.

Which is your religion ? So why do you think your difference counts and the rest are trash. Is that what you think ? Please say.

Culled from introductiongalatians; the message remix:

"When men and women get their hands on religion, one of the first things they do is turn it into an instrument for controlling others, either putting or keeping them "in their place". The history of such religious manipulation and coercion is long and tedious. It is little wonder that people who have known religion on such terms experience release or escape from it as freedom. The problem is that the freedom turns out to be short-lived."

Life is more than religion you see. Christianity is more than religion. The cure for all of mans ailments is Jesus Christ. It is him that I subscribe to. I am his disciple. Religion only keeps people in bondage of rules. And atheism only gives seeming relief to those truly in bondage of sin.

I've quoted this verses many times. People seem to ignore its intensity, maybe their hearts are hardened. I pray you will read this verses from the bible with all honesty and sincerity and ponder and think:

Matthew 11:28-30 "Are you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly."(The Message)

The real rest I have found in Christ Jesus is rest from the burdens of sin.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 11:01am On Nov 21, 2013
rationalmind:

Hehehehe, grin grin grin how does one reply this dude
as you would any homo-sapien with no religious ties cheesy
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 11:02am On Nov 21, 2013
Joshthefirst:
The real rest I have found in Christ Jesus is rest from the burdens of sin.
Of course. Jesus is the spiritual omo. just commit and be forgiven.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Emusan(m): 11:03am On Nov 21, 2013
Uyi Ireyda: • From the perspective of other religions opposed to yours, even though your religion descended from theirs, or theirs from yours. A good example of this is how Christians believe Jews will still go to hell without Jesus bever mind the special place they have in God, and how conservative Jews still disbelieve the Messiah (as Jesus Christ) has come and await his coming (not Jesus' second coming) on earth.

Every religion is proclaimed as truth, some moreso than others.

• Have you read the history of your religion ? And not just through the eyes of an apologist scholar who practices the religion eg William Lane Craig and so would tend to show bias against data or thought that conflucts with his religion. Have you read outside of Bible schools, if you are a Christian, and gone to other sources by historians to get a different take, on the history as it is, of your religion ? Why not ask yourself of your ancestor just a few centuries back, her religious beliefs and how different they would be from yours. Or consider that history tells us there was once no Christianity, Islam, or Judaism.

The history of religion is a cycle of life, growth and death.

• What if what you always believed deeply was a lie ? A seemingly faithful husband, an innocent child rebels, money will satisfy my wants. The emotional turmoil that results when the lie is verified drives some to madness. One way of avoiding this possible madness. Pretend the lie is actually true. But this is conflicting especially when one considers the lesson we all are taught: to speak the truth in good conscience. And if some of us have in all honesty denied one religion for a 'true one', or denied religion altogether, this should ginger a recheck of what you consider to be true, in case it is a lie.

It is true that some Christians might not go out to read about others religion.

Like I always say if many christians in the past or now are still based their faith on what was written in the Bible only, I will assure you that Christianity would have crashed out but some people have found God beyond written i.e manifestation of God. I'm a typical example.

The major challenge in Christendom today is because many doctrines have been mixed with the doctrine of Jesus Christ which many people didn't know that it's a great warning signal to seek God personally through Christ.

I didn't say Christianity is the best religion but the question that always come to my mind is this, if Jesus made a promise over 2000yrs ago and in an humble mind with total submission and strong faith, you find out the promise to be truth. Did He lie? No! Meaning whatever He said is true.

Lastly, the question I still need answer to by any folk is, if people converting from one religion to another I.e Christianity to Islam vise visa, even non religion i.e Atheism or Agonism vise visa. What is the missing link?

Shalom!

1 Like

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 21, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

I think you are trying to playtwinkle toes so we can't tackle your beliefs. You have a belief system. Even if it is queer. Okay. With this do I assume you don't believe the Bible, Jesus resurrection and miracles ?
ahhh but the bible is not a belief system. it is a lifestyle. just as you have a lifestyle. you like eating eba. wearing ankara. drinking gulder. eating suya. etc etc. thats a nigerian lifestyle. the bible is a lifestyle too just like yours. it has what to wear, what to eat, and a bit of history. its a lifestyle not a belief. i think you are confusing me with those who have used the book for a religion and a belief. its a lifestyle, same as you have a lifestyle mi compadre wink

2 Likes

Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 11:05am On Nov 21, 2013
aManFromMars:
What's moral truth?

It's not just Christianity. Even in the animal kingdom, we find strength in packs.

A weak point.

I doubt that. We may never know anyways.

By moral truth I mean something good that bebefits someone. BTW do you think there are truths to be seen in religion ? Yes or no and reason(s) please.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 11:06am On Nov 21, 2013
aManFromMars:
Of course. Jesus is the spiritual omo. just commit and be forgiven.

U mean hypo. It works better.
Re: Proposition 1: That Your Religion Is A Lie by UyiIredia(m): 11:08am On Nov 21, 2013
obadiah777: ahhh but the bible is not a belief system. it is a lifestyle. just as you have a lifestyle. you like eating eba. wearing ankara. drinking gulder. eating suya. etc etc. thats a nigerian lifestyle. the bible is a lifestyle too just like yours. it has what to wear, what to eat, and a bit of history. its a lifestyle not a belief. i think you are confusing me with those who have used the book for a religion and a belief. its a lifestyle, same as you have a lifestyle mi compadre wink

If it has what to wear, what to eat etc these are beliefs you follow ain't it ? You can't and don't divorce belief from lifestyle na !

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Atheists Suffer Prosecution From Religious People / Holy Ghost Fire And Fire From Heaven. / How To Pray The Rosary

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.