Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,354 members, 7,836,450 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 08:03 AM

Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. (2464 Views)

#UdomSupremeCourtVictory: Celebration Continues In Uyo (Photo) / Evidence As Protest Hit UN Geneva (+18) Picture Attached. / Boko-Haram Suspects Dressed Like Women Killed In Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by maimalari: 1:08pm On Nov 21, 2013
Anambra State Governor, Mr. Peter Obi and the All Progressives Congress (APC) candidate in last Saturday's governorship election in the state, Senator Chris Ngige, yesterday squabbled over the alleged killing of two female protesters in Awka.

Ngige's spokesman, Mr. Okelo Madukaife, had in a statement claimed that the two women met their death when policemen shot into a crowd of women protesting the conduct of the election.
However, Obi's Senior Special Assistant, Media and Publicity, Mr. Valentine Obienyem, disputed the claim, saying it was a figment of Ngige's imagination.

Also, the crisis of confidence between the state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) and the party's governorship candidate, Mr. Tony Nwoye, over the election remained unresolved following their different positions on the outcome of the poll.

According to the Ngige camp, the two women, identified as Anne Ifesi and Hannah Njiko, were feared dead when a contingent of policemen tried to disperse the protesters who were marching on the headquarters of the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Awka, to demand the cancellation of the governorship election.

In addition, it said 19 others who sustained varying degree of injuries from beatings and the inhalation of teargas were rushed to a private hospital in Awka for treatment.

It added that some 700 women, ranging from ages 25 to 70 and drawn from the 21 local government areas of the state, were on their way to the INEC headquarters when policemen manning various points at the INEC office intercepted them and engaged them in an argument.

“The situation degenerated when one of the riot policemen shot live ammunition twice on the ground burrowing the tarred road, before his colleagues acting on a telephone clearance from what one officer later described as order from above, dispersed nine teargas canisters into the crowd, in quick succession.
“This led to a stampede that left five women unconscious and 19 injured. But undeterred, the women regrouped at the Arroma Junction, where they were intercepted by men of the State Security Service (SSS) who tried to seize their placards, but the women engaged them in a physical combat, recovering all the placards

“Some of the placards read: ‘Jonathan, leave Anambra Alone’, 'Free and fair election is a must!’, 'Jega is worse than Iwu', ‘Sack Onukogu Now’ and  ‘No fresh election, No governor,’” the statement from Ngige’s aide added.

It explained that of the five unconscious women who were rushed to the private hospital, three regained consciousness while the two others were feared dead.

But Obi disputed the claim, saying it was concocted by the Ngige camp to draw sympathy from the public following his loss in the governorship election.

Obienyem, in a statement yesterday, said: “Journalists in Awka brought to my attention the news being circulated by Dr. Chris Ngige's Media Assistant, Mr. Okelo Madukaife, alleging that two protesting women where shot at Awka.

“I was later informed that Dr. Chris Ngige personally sent text messages to them as he did when the Uke tragedy occurred begging them to use the story.
“The story is completely fabricated and the names mentioned are non-existent, otherwise let them mention the name of the hospital.

“How can a former governor, illegal though, and now a serving senator, be an embodiment of fraud? He is desperately trying to convince people that if the election is not cancelled, there will be violence.” 
The election has also caused a disagreement in the camp of the PDP as the state leadership of the party and Nwoye maintained different positions yesterday on its outcome.

The state party Chairman, Mr. Ken Emeakayi, at a press conference in Awka, while commending party members and the people of Anambra State for their peaceful and orderly conduct during the election also thanked President Goodluck Jonathan for providing adequate security and the enabling environment that made the “hitch-free election” possible.

He also condemned the attempt by the APC to discredit the governorship election.
He expressed the readiness of the PDP to participate in the supplementary election whenever INEC is ready for it.

Emeakayi said the state PDP was aligning itself with the stand of the national leadership of the party on the election and its outcome while asking INEC to complete the election and announce the winner.
He feigned ignorance that Nwoye had distanced himself from the supplementary election because of its shoddy conduct.  

“I am not aware that the candidate of the party has disagreed with the outcome of the election and distanced himself from the supplementary election when INEC fixes it.
“I am not aware he said so. I am not the party. The party is the NWC and it has said we will participate in the supplementary election. The state working committee of the party met today (yesterday) towards ensuring that we participate. The candidate is not the party,” he said.

But the campaign organisation of Nwoye, faulted the party's chairman, saying it was wrong for the party not to see anything wrong with an election that was declared inconclusive, and adjudged to be marred by malpractices and irregularities.

The Director General of the campaign organisation, Mr. Osita Ezenwa, at a press conference in Awka yesterday, said their candidate had earlier pointed out that the election was flawed and should be cancelled.

“The election has been poorly conducted and what remains to be done is to cancel it and conduct a fresh election. If PDP loses from the fresh process, we will congratulate the winner; no problem, but to foist the result of a gravely flawed election on us is unacceptable,” he said.

He flayed some party officials, especially PDP National Publicity Secretary, Mr. Olisa Metuh, for congratulating APGA in an inconclusive election when a winner was yet to emerge and wondered why he was in a hurry to do so.

“Nwoye’s name was not in the register of voters for the election. He was our candidate in the election. We call for the total cancellation of the election. Prof. Jega is a forthright person and we hope he will do what is right,” he said.

According to him, since Nwoye is the party’s candidate in the election, it will be wrong to shave his head behind his back by making pronouncements on whether he will participate in the supplementary election without consulting him.

“Before somebody makes that kind of a pronouncement, you need to consult the candidate and no consultation took place. So they are on their own. The only person who has the power to determine what step to take is the candidate.

“The election is still on ongoing and until the chief returning officer declares the results, the INEC can still cancel the election because it is a sham. It was marred by irregularities and malpractices across board.
“We don’t agree with the INEC when it said it lacked the power to cancel the election and start a fresh one,” he added.

http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/obi-ngige-bicker-over-alleged-killing-of-two-protesters/164856/
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by twogood: 2:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
I thought Gov Peter Obi is currently in charge in Anambra state. Why do innocent women (whether Ngige supporters or not) have to be treated in a dehumanising manner.
The INEC ojoro is becoming clearer.

1 Like

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by gbanikiti(m): 2:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
Ok.

I heard the protesters were from Katsina state. How true is it? undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by ProfessorPeter(m): 2:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
Pls APC don't import electoral violence in to Anambra state. It is associated with southwest and northern Nigeria

3 Likes

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by Nobody: 2:35pm On Nov 21, 2013
LEMME USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO CONGRATULATE HIS EXCELLENCY DR WILLIE MMADUABUCHI OBIANO

3 Likes

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by maimalari: 2:45pm On Nov 21, 2013
AKUNWATA1: LEMME USE THIS OPPORTUNITY TO CONGRATULATE HIS EXCELLENCY DR WILLIE MMADUABUCHI OBIANO

U r congratulating Mr obiano for the death of the women?

1 Like

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by agbameta: 2:48pm On Nov 21, 2013
but the women engaged them in a physical combat, recovering all the placards

Punk asss SSS got punked, b1tch slapped and subdued by OSUN aka Anambra women...smh

lmao @ PDP the ruling party, the PDP candidate and INEC the fed agency we pay to run elections all on different pages and understanding regarding this sorry and pathetic sham election.

Poor Nigerians don suffer....

1 Like

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by maimalari: 2:49pm On Nov 21, 2013
gbanikiti: Ok.

I heard the protesters were from Katsina state. How true is it? undecided undecided

Ann Ifesi is hausa names according to Gov Obi.
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by gbanikiti(m): 3:01pm On Nov 21, 2013
I watched on Channels TV when one of the women fought with one of the SSS operative. Meehn! That woman gat balllss guts. I love her spirit. I doubt if anyone died. 2 women fainted.
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by thewarrior72: 3:07pm On Nov 21, 2013
This ngbatic people are trying very had to import election violence into Anambra, The God we serve will never allow them to succeed.

1 Like

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by thewarrior72: 3:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
gbanikiti: I watched on Channels TV when one of the women fought with one of the SSS operative. Meehn! That woman gat balllss guts. I love her spirit. I doubt if anyone died. 2 women fainted.
Useless women, they will die for nothing, I don't know how much ngige gave them that they are risking they life
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by gbanikiti(m): 3:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
the warrior72: Useless women, they will die for nothing, I don't know how much ngige gave them that they are risking they life
you call your own women useless? Well am not surprised! Being uncouth is a common thing with you and your likes. I just pray this election will not cause hatred among Anambra people. cry
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by AtlanticBreeze: 3:30pm On Nov 21, 2013
the warrior72: Useless women, they will die for nothing, I don't know how much ngige gave them that they are risking they life
Those are the real igbo women who don't take nonsense and not hired and brainwashed igbo almajiris like you who live for nothing. We know the people who pay for votes. people who can't win their LGA in a credible poll.

4 Likes

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by wirinet(m): 3:31pm On Nov 21, 2013

It is a pity you are throwing insults at fellow igbo wives, mothers and sisters who are old enough to be your mother, just because they are protesting their right to vote in an election. Is that the attribute of a true igbo?

Let INEC try the rubbish in a devoloped world and deny a willing citizen his right to vote, you can only imagine what that one person can do, not to talk of a whole group of people. And you have the audacity to insult them for protesting.
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by AtlanticBreeze: 3:34pm On Nov 21, 2013
wirinet:

It is a pity you are throwing insults at fellow igbo wives, mothers and sisters who are old enough to be your mother, just because they are protesting their right to vote in an election. Is that the attribute of a true igbo?

Let INEC try the rubbish in a devoloped world and deny a willing citizen his right to vote, you can only imagine what that one person can do, not to talk of a whole group of people. And you have the audacity to insult them for protesting.

do not mind the Peter obi trolls who Peter Obi after brainwashing them has turned himself to their 'jesus' on earth. They are mostly uneducated
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by maimalari: 3:50pm On Nov 21, 2013

Your disrespect for the female gender makes you so disgusting. Those r people's mothers.
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by thewarrior72: 3:55pm On Nov 21, 2013
gbanikiti: you call your own women useless? Well am not surprised! Being uncouth is a common thing with you and your likes. I just pray this election will not cause hatred among Anambra people. cry
Th youths who are suppose to be protesting are not doing so, it is the old women who are suppose to be at home taking care of their husbands& children are the ones protesting. what an irony?
The day my mum wakes up to join such a paid crowd is the day she lost the right to be my mum.
We the Anambra youth hav taken our destiny into our hands by voting Willie obiano as our preferred candidate, if anyone feels otherwise, he/she should go to court & challenge his election& stop disturbing us with civil unrest .

3 Likes

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by thewarrior72: 4:03pm On Nov 21, 2013
AtlanticBreeze:
Those are the real igbo women who don't take nonsense and not hired and brainwashed igbo almajiris like you who live for nothing. We know the people who pay for votes. people who can't win their LGA in a credible poll.
Those women are simple paid crowd,nothing more nothing less. The hour they took to such a shameless dance is the hour they lost every respect I have for them.
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by gbanikiti(m): 4:04pm On Nov 21, 2013
the warrior72: Th youths who are suppose to be protesting are not doing so, it is the old women who are suppose to be at home taking care of their husbands& children are the ones protesting. what an irony?
The day my mum wakes up to join such a paid crowd is the day she lost the right to be my mum.
We the Anambra youth hav taken our destiny into our hands by voting Willie obiano as our preferred candidate, if anyone feels otherwise, he/she should go to court & challenge his election& stop disturbing us with civil unrest .
You should also blame the women who rioted in Aba in 1929 for not allowing the youths of that time to protest. Sorry for you!!

4 Likes

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by thewarrior72: 4:13pm On Nov 21, 2013
maimalari:

Your disrespect for the female gender makes you so disgusting. Those r people's mothers.
Hei I wouldn't in a normal circumstance disrespect the female folk, they action to cause civil unrest in Anambra state is uncalled for & unwoman like
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by kokoA(m): 4:20pm On Nov 21, 2013
the warrior72: Those women are simple paid crowd,nothing more nothing less. The hour they took to such a shameless dance is the hour they lost every respect I have for them.
am sorry to say this.. You are a very very dull person. No offence.

2 Likes

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by Nobody: 4:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
kokoA: am sorry to say this.. You are a very very dull person. No offence.
LWKMD
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by Akpaife(m): 4:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
Na mumu dey worry those woman
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by agbameta: 4:26pm On Nov 21, 2013
the warrior72: Hei I wouldn't in a normal circumstance disrespect the female folk, they action to cause civil unrest in Anambra state is uncalled for & unwoman like

Exercising their rights as Nigerians is what you lazy and incompetent people all civil unrest in 2013?

First, you denied them their voting rights and on top of that, deny them their rights to say or do anything about it. Is this the kind of insane, backward and repressive society you want your future generations to grow up in?

Good to see anambra women wearing trousers while anambra men are rocking their favored skirts...smh.

1 Like

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by nedu666: 4:33pm On Nov 21, 2013
ANAMBRA INDIGENES SHOULD HOLD THEIR HEADS HIGH AND WALK PROUDLY WITH ENOUGH SWAGGER, NEVER IN NIGERIA HISTORY HAS AN

ELECTION LIKE THIS GENERATED SO MUCH ATTENTION TO THE EXTENT SOME YORUBAS ARE ANGRYYYYY, DISAPPOINTED, CRYING LIKE BABIES,

SOME ALMOST AT THE STAGE OF COMMITTING SUICIDE ,MORE THAN THE INDIGENES. ONCE AGAIN ANAMBRA PEOPLE U ARE TRULY THE MOST

IMPORTANT IN THIS COUNTRY, NOT EVEN THE ELECTION OF FASHOLA, OSHIMOLE AND MIMIKO, AREGBESOLA AND FAYEMI PUT TOGETHER CAN

GENERATE THE NO OF TREADS AND NEWSPAPER ARTICLES LIKE ANAMBRA DID. AM PROUD TO SEE YORUBAS WITH RED EYES OVER AN ELECTION IN ANAMBRA

4 Likes

Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by gratiaeo(m): 4:37pm On Nov 21, 2013
God will punish any body trying to instigate violence in my beloved state.
No pity for the dead
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by olabukola: 4:41pm On Nov 21, 2013
When the coast is clear whether paid or not they died a useless death as far as NIGERIA IS CONCERNED.

Before ever I will protest for an election rigged in Nigeria, the sons and daughters of the politician am protesting for must be at the for front with their mother and the politician himself.

Protesting for who careless for you.
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by thewarrior72: 5:39pm On Nov 21, 2013
olabukola: When the coast is clear whether paid or not they died a useless death as far as NIGERIA IS CONCERNED.

Before ever I will protest for an election rigged in Nigeria, the sons and daughters of the politician am protesting for must be at the for front with their mother and the politician himself.

Protesting for who careless for you.
I love this comment
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by thewarrior72: 5:41pm On Nov 21, 2013
agbameta:

Exercising their rights as Nigerians is what you lazy and incompetent people all civil unrest in 2013?

First, you denied them their voting rights and on top of that, deny them their rights to say or do anything about it. Is this the kind of insane, backward and repressive society you want your future generations to grow up in?

Good to see anambra women wearing trousers while anambra men are rocking their favored skirts...smh.
Lol
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by eaglechild: 6:42pm On Nov 21, 2013
I wonder who paid Yoruba women association to come and protest in Anambra.
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by Abagworo(m): 6:50pm On Nov 21, 2013
Peter Obi is gradually digging his own grave. The children of the women should just revenge fast.
Re: Two Women Killed, Many More Hospitalised As Protest Continues In Anambra State. by olabukola: 7:07pm On Nov 21, 2013
Abagworo: Peter Obi is gradually digging his own grave. The children of the women should just revenge fast.
revenge against who? INEC, police, Apga, PDP or ACN.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nigerians No 1 Most Friendly Vice President Yemi Osinbajo<pics> / Buhari’s Certificate: Attacks Backfire On Jonathan / 12 Reasons Why Gen Buhari Is Likely To Win The Forthcoming Presidential Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.