Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,050 members, 7,821,614 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:43 PM

Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry (1745 Views)

Android Programming With Google Cloud Chat - Expert / Our Google Cloud Developer Challenge App- Prep Jambites / Has Anyone Here Implemented Google Cloud Messaging On Android? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 3:24pm On Nov 21, 2013
Hello guys, Haven't rested since I submitted my mobile apps for the MTN app developer competition. I've been working on Ask Africa, a social platform for questions and answers about Africa.

Details:

Link: https://gcdc2013-askafrica.appspot.com

Ask Africa is a social platform for discussing, asking and answering questions about Africa on your PC or mobile device.

It uses the google+ API to make access easy to anyone, anywhere. Simply click the sign in with google button and grant access to the app.

Once you sign in, you can ask, edit, share and answer questions in various categories relevant to the continent.

Additionally, you can add geo-tags to your questions as well as ask and answer questions anonymously.

Want some more? You can answer questions using images, google maps and youtube videos. Just type in the relevant link when answering the question, submit and see the magic happen.

Join Ask Africa today and share some knowledge!

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTVBxAwlFwM

Technologies Used:

Appengine for PHP

Google+ sign in API

Youtube embed API

Google maps Embed API

1 Like

Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by shaf2k: 5:57pm On Nov 21, 2013
love it! was actually thinking of something like this for naija (http://shaf2kstudios.com/sample/ask/) but i never spent enough time on it. would love to work with you on it if you are in need of another developer.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 6:12pm On Nov 21, 2013
@shaf2k: The workload is definitely too much for one programmer (my back hurts so much right now not to talk of the mental fatigue due to lack of sleep). I'm looking to add programmers and ui designers to the founding team (funday Africa - some of our apps: http://funday.imgur.com) but it all depends on our apps winning in their respective competitions as it would provide both validity/relevance to the apps as well as funding for scaling and future projects.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by shaf2k: 8:01pm On Nov 21, 2013
lol i know the feeling. let me know you can check out some of my work here http://www.shaf2kstudios.com
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 8:29pm On Nov 21, 2013
Las Gidi Tunes looks awesome! Some thoughts - Maybe u should somehow center the player interface to create a player-centered ui or provide a banner that indicates that the mobile app is of a similar design with the player. The current app advertisement banner (to download on google play) is not inviting is it is and relies too much on users wanting a mobile app beforehand. Basically, showcase more of the experience they can expect from the mobile app. A pix can make some difference instead of just the google play icon.

But everything is probably the way they are due to certain considerations I may have missed. Would love to know more about the current UI thought process.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by shaf2k: 9:14pm On Nov 21, 2013
i felt the centered player had been overdone and wanted to create something different. there have been many iterations and i feel like the more it changes it may alienate people who are used to the ui as it is. but there is a somewhat centered version that i've toyed with at http://www.lasgiditunes.com/live.php which is somewhat based off music.twitter.com. But in general i get my ui inspirations from everywhere on the web.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 9:50pm On Nov 21, 2013
cool ui, but I was talking about the player gadget somewhat maintaining its current look and feel which is akin to what you present on mobile, although on further consideration, it might require some serious changes which might even include use of some image sprites to create a seamless experience with the music icons if u choose to have them surround the gadget.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 10:06pm On Nov 21, 2013
Are you planning on working on the automarket site in future? We're still researching a better business model for secondhand.com.ng and we'll be taking down the site and changing the design (ending alpha test phase). Haven't figured out what it'll be yet. I'll let the business model and focus dictate the changes we make when we get to it.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by dwittyc0der(f): 5:15am On Nov 22, 2013
hey dude , i have something beta than thing .. i just need someone good in yaml , !! am sure we can win with my web app , it 100% i js need a yaml guy to work with !!!
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 5:50am On Nov 22, 2013
@dwittyC0der: lolz. We'll let the judges decide on that. What problems are you having with your yaml?
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by dwittyc0der(f): 9:36am On Nov 22, 2013
seriously no Jokes !!! u tried sha but that thing doesnt fit any catera they want unless if them jes pass u sha or maybe u get the prize from airtel cheesy ...
gameaddict: @dwittyC0der: lolz. We'll let the judges decide on that. What problems are you having with your yaml?
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 9:51am On Nov 22, 2013
Really? Explain how you arrived at your conclusion. I'd welcome a constructive criticism of the app/platform.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by dwittyc0der(f): 10:11am On Nov 22, 2013
What is ur platform solving ?? smiley.. Q& Answer ? how will that solve any problem bro ... am not saying u are doing bad stuff , but it doesnt solve any problem !!!
gameaddict: Really? Explain how you arrived at your conclusion. I'd welcome a constructive criticism of the app/platform.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 10:42am On Nov 22, 2013
Lovely.

First off, having a question means you require an answer to a problem. Creating a platform to enable people find answers to problems especially in Africa is irrelevant in your opinion? Unless you're willing to state that Africans have no questions especially in relation to problems arising from the socio-economic paradigm that exists here, I think we can safely move on to the next paragraph.

Where do you go to learn/gain knowledge about startups, African politics, real People, etc right now? twitter, news sites and forums right? You can't ask your own questions socially on news site. On most social media sites, you'll get short form answers and comment systems are limited. On forums, you might be lucky but what forum serves all of Africa right now? We're lucky that Nairaland has the userbase that it has but what about the rest of Africa?

Now with a dedicated site, the situation is different. There's a reason sites like Quora exist. Its always amazing to read well structured answers to well structured questions on an app dedicated to that. And Quora is awesome right now because you get to read answers from real entrepreneurs and business leaders. Imagine asking a question about a company and getting an answer from an insider. Does anything like that exist in Africa? Its not rhetorical. Answer.

More Questions. Is there a knowledge divide in Africa? Can Q and A platforms dedicated to Africa help to bridge this divide. YES.

And finally, Ask Africa is not only awesome for its focus on African questions. its even more awesome given that it creates opportunities for Africans from different countries to ask about and solve problems via awesome tools.

For example, a question is currently up on the site:

What industries will create the most opportunities around Africa in the nearest future?

Questions like this, when answered by nationals with different perspectives can help entrepreneurs chose relevant paths to success:

Add your view to the question and tell me how you feel: https://gcdc2013-askafrica.appspot.com/r/business/answers/12
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by dwittyc0der(f): 10:56am On Nov 22, 2013
Ok bro i hear u smiley are u on pc ?? u fit help me with my yaml problem ? my web app is coded with codeigniter sha !! can u help ??
gameaddict: Lovely.

First off, having a question means you require an answer to a problem. Creating a platform to enable people find answers to problems especially in Africa is irrelevant in your opinion? Unless you're willing to state that Africans have no questions especially in relation to problems arising from the socio-economic paradigm that exists here, I think we can safely move on to the next paragraph.

Where do you go to learn/gain knowledge about startups, African politics, real People, etc right now? twitter, news sites and forums right? You can't ask your own questions socially on news site. On most social media sites, you'll get short form answers and comment systems are limited. On forums, you might be lucky but what forum serves all of Africa right now? We're lucky that Nairaland has the userbase that it has but what about the rest of Africa?

Now with a dedicated site, the situation is different. There's a reason sites like Quora exist. Its always amazing to read well structured answers to well structured questions on an app dedicated to that. And Quora is awesome right now because you get to read answers from real entrepreneurs and business leaders. Imagine asking a question about a company and getting an answer from an insider. Does anything like that exist in Africa? Its not rhetorical. Answer.

More Questions. Is there a knowledge divide in Africa? Can Q and A platforms dedicated to Africa help to bridge this divide. YES.

And finally, Ask Africa is not only awesome for its focus on African questions. its even more awesome given that it creates opportunities for Africans from different countries to ask about and solve problems via awesome tools.

For example, a question is currently up on the site:

What industries will create the most opportunities around Africa in the nearest future?

Questions like this, when answered by nationals with different perspectives can help entrepreneurs chose relevant paths to success:

Add your view to the question and tell me how you feel: https://gcdc2013-askafrica.appspot.com/r/business/answers/12
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 11:10am On Nov 22, 2013
Post it and tell me the problem, I'll see if I can help. This is my first time on Appengine and I had some problems too, especially with some minor differences between yaml interpretation on the live site and on localhost. You can also check the code used for wordpress on app engine and I can post mine if you want.

Hope you've submitted yours sha. Submission is closed o.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by dwittyc0der(f): 11:47am On Nov 22, 2013
I no submit anything jare grin grin grin grin cause yaml give me problem undecided undecided undecided bro if u win no forget me ooo cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry cry/// see this http://wittytom.com/tsk/ see the interface lasan cheesy that is what am planning to submit !! the inteface mad gan and it a task managment thing that is for freelancers or any peeps !! wink wink
gameaddict: Post it and tell me the problem, I'll see if I can help. This is my first time on Appengine and I had some problems too, especially with some minor differences between yaml interpretation on the live site and on localhost. You can also check the code used for wordpress on app engine and I can post mine if you want.

Hope you've submitted yours sha. Submission is closed o.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 11:54am On Nov 22, 2013
Wow! You should have created a thread and asked for help earlier.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by dwittyc0der(f): 12:18pm On Nov 22, 2013
check i did oooooooooooooooo but na foolish niggas dey here with no braing !! na php dem know all cry cry cry cry cry cry cry
gameaddict: Wow! You should have created a thread and asked for help earlier.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 1:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
sorry men, I solved most of the problems I got via help from the #gcdc & #gcdc2013 hashtag pages on google+ and some via stackexchange. Did you follow the hashtag?
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by dwittyc0der(f): 1:49pm On Nov 22, 2013
Yes man .. are u on skype ??
gameaddict: sorry men, I solved most of the problems I got via help from the #gcdc & #gcdc2013 hashtag pages on google+ and some via stackexchange. Did you follow the hashtag?
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by BetaQuick: 3:30pm On Nov 22, 2013
@gameaddict I like it. I also like the business (outside of the competition). If you don't win the competition (hopefully you do) are you still going to push the idea? I think @Gidi_Traffic has stumbled onto something big with their traffic/issues Q and A twitter feed but right now its manual and difficult to follow and search. If you can plug this into twitter and somehow be able to sort, search and contribute the Q and A feeds it can be a multi-million naira idea.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by DharkPoet(m): 5:33pm On Nov 22, 2013
Gameaddict well done Bro, I pray you win, and come to think of it, why hasn't this thread made front page? Is it that nairaland doesn't have best interest of developers and programmers at heart?
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 7:48pm On Nov 22, 2013
@dwittyc0der: nope, my webcam is faulty. Contact me via mail or twitter: x | x

@BetaQuick: Thanks for the advice, this your name itself is excellent (get the product out quickly). I hope to push the idea as far as I can and I hope I can win so that I'll be able to invite new co-founders to handle crucial areas of the idea. Big plans require effort.

Here's my mail and twitter handle if you want to discuss ideas: x | x

@DharkPoet: Thanks a lot and Amen!

Edit: Please guys, help me by signing in and asking questions. Lets get more activities on the app.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 1:25am On Nov 23, 2013
Someone just added an awesome question anonymously to the startups section: Where are the VCs in Africa? Anyone have solid names of VCs looking to invest?

Read my answer: https://gcdc2013-askafrica.appspot.com/r/startups/answers/20

PS: If you're here, you rock! Brilliant question.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by Urine: 7:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
Double post
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by Urine: 7:12pm On Nov 23, 2013
gameaddict, I'm impressed, well done. I feel your pain about working alone...it could be frustrating at times.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 11:28pm On Nov 23, 2013
@Urine: Thanks.

@Everyone: Great news! Eghosa Omoigui (EchoVC) just provided an answer to the VC question via twitter (and as per twitter limitations, is in short form/not detailed). Check the second answer on https://gcdc2013-askafrica.appspot.com/r/startups/answers/20 for more info.

Hopefully, very soon, more detailed and interactive answers will be posted directly to Ask Africa!

Keep the questions coming, lets share some knowledge!
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by BetaQuick: 11:12am On Nov 24, 2013
@gameaddict great answers to the questions about VC. I think this is a small example of how Q/A is served very well connection to the twitter platform.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 11:26am On Nov 24, 2013
@BetaQuick: Thanks. I'll send u a dm for advice on an idea for the twitter integration.
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 2:01pm On Nov 25, 2013
Hello guys! VC4Africa have also added an answer: https://gcdc2013-askafrica.appspot.com/r/startups/answers/20
Re: Ask Africa - My Google Cloud Developer Challenge Entry by gameaddict(m): 9:38am On Dec 06, 2013
Great news! Ask Africa has proceeded to the semi-final stage of the competition!

Join Ask Africa today and share some knowledge! https://gcdc2013-askafrica.appspot.com

(1) (Reply)

21 Life Lessons From Steve Jobs By: Nick Scheidies / Expert Programmer Required For A 3 Months Online Tutorial - 250k/month / Programming On My Phone!!!!!!!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.