Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,476 members, 7,836,884 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 02:00 PM

Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! (12746 Views)

Tinubu To Sue AIT For Airing ‘Defamatory Documentary’ / Muslim Group Attacks Gov. Fayose Over Malicious Newspaper Adverts / Presidency Slams APC Over ‘malicious’ Claim Of Planned Handover To The Military (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by 4chi: 11:19am On Nov 22, 2013
The obese, corrupt and highly ineffective minister should shut the fvck up! No sane person is impressed with her shoddy handling of the economy except crazy folks who sees nothing beyond their petty ethnic affiliation with her not minding the abbys into which okonjo wahala plunging the economy. Punch is the most widely read newspaper in Nigeria and there is nothing anybody can do about that she should bloody sue if she has any grouse or shut the heck up!!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Oildichotomy(m): 11:21am On Nov 22, 2013
azeezhy: Did anyone observed that Okonjo started courting controversies during the tenure of GEJ. During her time with OBJ, she was a respected minister and economist who delivered much.
Indeed, MKO's sayings that "when the head of a fish is rotten, the entire body will be thrown away" is not far from the truth.
All these your south south, sout east conspiracies will soon be over. Do the math yourself: 2/3 of the voting region or 50 percent in 25 states of the nation.
How you guys arrive at this permutation statistics is quite baffling?
As if voting is easy addition arithmetic

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Dantedasz(m): 11:21am On Nov 22, 2013
The import waiver regieme and import prohibition lists are two weapons applied by politicians in government to favour cronies and to ra/pe the economy from behind. It is a method used to create billionaires out of paupers in an easy come,easy go way.
It works like this-
1.Government at the begining of the year comes out with an import prohibition list that bans certain essential goods.
2.The security agents are expected to enforce the non entry of such prohibited items.
3. The same government goes ahead to issue a waiver on this prohibited item to a crony who is all is allowed to import the prohibited item as a monopoly and as such smiles all the way to the bank.
The second kind of waiver is the duty waiver where government places high import tarriff of say 100% import duty on an item but goes behind to issue waivers to acolytes who are dubiously issued 0% import duty waivers in order to create an unfair market advantage. As such while one person pays 100% duty on an item another pays 0% for the same item and creates an undue advantage.
This sharp practice has been going on for ages and did not start with the present government,however Mrs Okonjo Iweala with her pedigree should have been able to curtail this sharp practice,but instead it has spiralled out of control under her watch as the supervising minister of the economy.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by arsenalwenger: 11:26am On Nov 22, 2013
Donmams: It beats my imagination why some fools will claim that the North and South West are against mr. President and his ministers whenever they criticize the gov't. Well let them hear that the north and the southwest have over 75% voting strength. It will be the end of the igbo loving president in 2015. The South East will regret their stupidity for siding with jonathan for the next 200 years.
Hw old are u? Are u God? Is ur father a politician?

U guys will just sit in ur house writing trash. Y should a 'national' newspaper devote all their energy destroyin a section of the country? How many Yorubas have ruled Nigeria? When do u think another yoruba will rule Nigeria again?

U need think before u write.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by tosan200(m): 11:33am On Nov 22, 2013
taharqa: I thought I asked you to SHUT ya mouth UP??
if you don't like it ,go hang yourself. am sure nobody would even notice.
40paid lap dogs.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by khamas19: 11:41am On Nov 22, 2013
...603 bn gone just like that...just how much is the national budget??.....

...GEJ has some really daft people in his propaganda machine....
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Okijajuju1(m): 11:43am On Nov 22, 2013

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by lincolnj88: 11:46am On Nov 22, 2013
Okija_juju:

If I have to school you on another thread, then you would have to start paying me..

All dis our half baked lecturers teaching us rubish
grin dere u go with d meaning and lookout at ur first comment ,to see weda u av a brain.....
coscharis , innoson are all part of the automobile industry ... Industry does not relate to only manufacturing but also providing services............banking industry is an example....
So relate this an tell me that coscharis is not part of automobile industry... Olodo teacher grin

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Nobody: 11:46am On Nov 22, 2013
The fugly fat midget with pig lips is driving the country into the ground, but trust Igbo's of Nigeria to always throw tribal tantrums in everything. These people are the most bigoted people on the planet!!

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by taharqa: 11:51am On Nov 22, 2013
ballabriggs:

I'm sure you have a brain, so use it. Did Punch argue with you diddums that waivers are not economic tools? No, what Punch argues is the abuse that characterises the waiver regime in Nigeria as it has been used to evade revenue due to the treasury. That is the crux of Punch's argument.

That Okonjo and this her foolish media aide ignored the argument that the waiver regime has been abused and is still being abused to the detriment of the treasury says a lot about them. They did not address that bit in their argument. He foolishly went on to list the advantages of waivers. Who cares about these advantages when it is being abused.
No, OLODO. Get the Punch Editorial and read. The ONLY real accusation Punch made in respect of this new Sector-wide Waiver System was actuali the #603billion Revenue lost due to the policy. The Editorial DID NOT MENTION A SINGLE CASE OF CORRUPTION OR ABUSE RELATING TO THIS NEW SYSTEM. Let me repeat: Punch did not mention A SINGLE case of corruption associated with this new System. Go and read d article again, if you hv actuali even read it, that is. The Cases or Examples of Abuses Punch gave in the Editorial were solely those from 2003-2011 ie BEFORE this new System was introduced by NOI!! How d helll do you criticize a particular System by rehearsing Examples of d abuses of d previous System, esp when the whole purpose of d new System (the very reason we all shouted at d Govt to introduce it) was to eliminate, or rather reduce, d Incidences of the Abuses of d Previous System?? How the hell does that happen if it was not a deliberately attempt to mix up stuffs in order to hookwick d many gullible people that unfortunately abode in today's Nigeria? What is it if not a Piece of Propaganda; an Hacket job to sway Weak minds?? The Editorial even went afar as giving Examples of Abuses in d EEG Scheme; a Scheme that is very diff from the new Waiver Scheme they were suppossedly criticizing! And what is worst, d Examples given were also pre-2012. Punch also conveniently 'forgot' to mention that this same EEG that has been abused all along for years was even recently suspended by this same Govt in order to try to 'clean it up', yet Punch used Examples that happened years ago under the scheme to criticize a new, diff Scheme!! Does that seem fair to you? Do you chaps even hv Consciences any more?? And to think that d Sector-based Waiver Policy has even started yielding positive results: Nigeria's Non-Oil Export for the 1st 3months of this year was almost $3billion (over #300billion), which is almost same amount d country exported for the entire year sm few years ago; similarly, Nigeria's Import bill last year reduced by over #800billion!! Sectors such as Power, Aviation, Cassava, Cement, Oil palm/Vegetable Oil, Sugar, Rice, Mining, Telecoms, sm Manufacturing, are particularly benefiting from it already. Of course, Punch also conveniently left that out..... I HATE HYPOCRISY with every thing I got. And Lies; and Halftruths; and Distortions; and utter Desperation. In fact, I spiit on yaall. Ya Guts DISGUST me. I can't even properly convey how I reali feel at times at the Shenanigans of it all.

6 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Okijajuju1(m): 11:52am On Nov 22, 2013
lincolnj88:
All dis our half baked lecturers teaching us rubish
grin dere u go with d meaning and lookout at ur first comment ,to see weda u av a brain.....
coscharis is a manufacturing coy ewu............

Do they Manufacture cars sir?!

The first comment reffered to automobiles.. So again I ask you, does Coscharis manufacture Cars sir?!

How does a waiver for importation of 300 Cars have anything to do with Coscharis Pure Water Industry?!

What part of the english language is your problem?! Reading or comprehension?!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by youngmonie: 11:53am On Nov 22, 2013
Wonder what all this noise and argument is about. Its simple and plain economics: IF THE PRIVATE SECTOR CANNOT SOURCE THEIR RAW MATERIALS WITHIN NIGERIA, WHY NOT MAKE IT CHEAPER FOR THEM TO IMPORT, IT REDUCES THEIR COST STRUCTURE BY A LENGHT. IN THE END THIS BUSINESSES DO WELL, GOVERNMENT GET THEIR TAX. ITS PLAIN AND SIMPLE. AS HARD AS IT IS TO DO BUSINESS IN NIGERIA, THIS GOES A LONG WAY IN HELPING FIRMS. so lets stop all this APC and PDP bullshit

Younng Nigerians need to start discussing and looking at issues on a wider plain, think outside the box, everything aint about tribe or politics, it is this private sector that will still employ most of YOU

4 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Nobody: 11:57am On Nov 22, 2013
youngmonie: Wonder what all this noise and argument is about. Its simple and plain economics: IF THE PRIVATE SECTOR CANNOT SOURCE THEIR RAW MATERIALS WITHIN NIGERIA, WHY NOT MAKE IT CHEAPER FOR THEM TO IMPORT, IT REDUCES THEIR COST STRUCTURE BY A LENGHT. IN THE END THIS BUSINESSES DO WELL, GOVERNMENT GET THEIR TAX. ITS PLAIN AND SIMPLE. AS HARD AS IT IS TO DO BUSINESS IN NIGERIA, THIS GOES A LONG WAY IN HELPING FIRMS. so lets stop all this APC and PDP bullshit

Younng Nigerians need to start discussing and looking at issues on a wider plain, think outside the box, everything aint about tribe or politics, it is this private sector that will still employ most of YOU

What is the correlation between the topic and this nonsense? Waivers for car import by a car dealer correlates with raw materials in your blinkered brain, yes?

What did you score in your last IQ test?

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by lincolnj88: 12:00pm On Nov 22, 2013
Okija_juju:

Do they Manufacture cars sir?!

The first comment reffered to automobiles.. So again I ask you, does Coscharis manufacture Cars sir?!

How does a waiver for importation of 300 Cars have anything to do with Coscharis Pure Water Industry?!

What part of the english language is your problem?! Reading or comprehension?!

grin comprehension is ur problem...
Can u please answer me to were do we classify coscharis ... Banking industry or automobile or okija shrine...... nna u dini 2 dull grin

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Richiez(m): 12:01pm On Nov 22, 2013
you may want to jump in

NAIRALAND MATH QUIZ FINALS
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Nobody: 12:07pm On Nov 22, 2013
4chi: The obese, corrupt and highly ineffective minister should shut the fvck up! No sane person is impressed with her shoddy handling of the economy except crazy folks who sees nothing beyond their petty ethnic affiliation with her not minding the abbys into which okonjo wahala plunging the economy. Punch is the most widely read newspaper in Nigeria and there is nothing anybody can do about that she should bloody sue if she has any grouse or shut the heck up!!

Please don't insult the woman.

Of course you know that her acheivements are bigger than that of your lineage. Your father, mother and your entire village can never stand where she had stood or tread where she has trodden.

Pray to marry a woman like her or have a mother like her. Shame on you.

5 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Okijajuju1(m): 12:08pm On Nov 22, 2013
lincolnj88:
grin comprehension is ur problem...
Can u please answer me to were do we classify coscharis ... Banking industry or automobile or okija shrine...... nna u dini 2 dull grin

Coscharis sell cars..

Coscharis sells finished goods produced by the Auto Industries.

Two key words in the definition of industry were Manufacture and factories.. When the word industrialisation is mentioned, they do not refer to the sellers, they talk about the manufacturers.

Coscharis may manufacture pure water & Computers, but their car sales is not an Industry...

If its not clear to you by now.. Then like Yuzedo will say; 'I give up'.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by slimikenna(m): 12:09pm On Nov 22, 2013
i had always doubted that 75% of nigerians were illiterates, but after reading through this thread, hmmmm, i am so sure any more. Read the Punch editorial and read NOI's response. Stop attacking her personality or where she comes from.
And by the way, almost every thread here on NL has so many tribalistic comments. Tribalistic people are the major virus infecting our nation; worse than corruption.

Naija people grow up.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Nobody: 12:10pm On Nov 22, 2013
And to think that this pig gets paid in dollars like an expat to destroy the country's economy is just annoying. If no Nigerian can do the job, why not employ the services of a proper expat in white skin?

From stupid waivers, to creating fraudulent and ineffective bubble about an economy that's growing with nothing to show for it, to the depletion of the country's external reserve and excess crude oil money. What has she achieved since she has been there for more than 12 years now? This is her 2nd tenure and the country's economy is still in shambles!
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by youngmonie: 12:11pm On Nov 22, 2013
Sheeple:

What is the correlation between the topic and this nonsense? Waivers for car import by a car dealer correlates with raw materials in your blinkered brain, yes?

What did you score in your last IQ test?
120 the last time i checked.....Pls take your time to read the main article on the first page Thank you
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by manny4life(m): 12:15pm On Nov 22, 2013
Bia oga Okija, your definition of an industry is just a general known view but an industry is a classification of companies manufacturing goods, delivering goods and offering commercial services within their fields. For instance, there's the mortgage industry comprising of real estate developers, construction companies, etc. Same applies to the auto industry, from those who are into steel making to molding, car accessory manufacturing and delivery, etc. Another instance is the hospitality industry, they're most likely into delivering services, some industries involves manufacturing than the others.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by ba7man(m): 12:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
spot the similarities.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Nobody: 12:16pm On Nov 22, 2013
Donmams: It beats my imagination why some fools will claim that the North and South West are against mr. President and his ministers whenever they criticize the gov't. Well let them hear that the north and the southwest have over 75% voting strength. It will be the end of the igbo loving president in 2015. The South East will regret their stupidity for siding with jonathan for the next 200 years.
you ar an id*ot! For spitin that trash. Nonsense!!

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Nobody: 12:19pm On Nov 22, 2013
youngmonie: 120 the last time i checked.....Pls take your time to read the main article on the first page Thank you

You muppet. Divide the 120 by 2, and that's most likely your score. Thank me later.

This is an excerpt from the editorial she slammed:

But in Nigeria, instead of promoting the greatest good for the greatest number, corruption reigns supreme. Policies such as the ECOWAS Trade Liberalisation Scheme, Comprehensive Import Scheme and the Export Expansion Grant, rather than boost production, job creation and exports, have been thoroughly abused. Dikko lamented how EEG beneficiaries imported cars instead of raw materials or machinery.
http://www.punchng.com/editorial/jonathan-okonjo-iweala-and-waivers/

And I ask again: what have cars got to do with raw materials?
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by texazzpete(m): 12:19pm On Nov 22, 2013
Ola edo:

“These sectoral policies have included reduced import duty rates or waivers for equipment and materials for the hospitality, power and aviation sectors; for agricultural machinery; for solid mineral equipment; for gas-using equipment; for the steel sector; for specific manufacturing sub-sectors (e.g. for imports of completely-knocked down parts) and for automobiles and tires.

Can Mrs Okonjo-Iweala explain why they are granting waivers or reduced import rates for importation of automobiles, while at the same time trying to increase duty rates for vehicles for the common man?

They babble on and on about transformation in the Autos sphere necessitating an increase in import duties yet grant waivers for cars for the Government that should even be the No 1 patron of locally manufactured automobiles!

Such a clueless, insensitive Government...and that includes Okonjo-iweala too.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Igwe9(m): 12:21pm On Nov 22, 2013
Okija_juju: I know that waivers and grants are all part of the governments industrialisation policy.

But on what grounds did the FG grant a blanket tax waiver to Coscharis (which is not an industry) to import 300 cars?!

How can other Nigerians access this waiver scheme?!

What does it take to qualify for a Waiver?!

No waiver was granted to the Coscharis, it was to the aviation sector, and it was targeted at the maintenance of the aviation equipment to improve the standard and safety but unfortunately, coscharis classified imported the car and classified it as aviation equipment and the dumb custom man could not seek for clarifications from the finance minister.
Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Rad1cal: 12:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
ba7man: spot the similarities.

And your useless point is ? undecided

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by Nobody: 12:23pm On Nov 22, 2013
Sheeple: And to think that this pig gets paid in dollars like an expat to destroy the country's economy is just annoying. If no Nigerian can do the job, why not employ the services of a proper expat in white skin?

From stupid waivers, to creating fraudulent and ineffective bubble about an economy that's growing with nothing to show for it, to the depletion of the country's external reserve and excess crude oil money. What has she achieved since she has been there for more than 12 years now? This is her 2nd tenure and the country's economy is still in shambles!

Toddler please you can criticize the FGN policies but don't resort to insults. By resortting to insults, you are only showing people how bad your home trainning was (if at all you had any).

She is paid in dollars because she has what the country needs: she is a hot cake. World bank, OBJ, GEJ, etc, required her services and went for her.

Tell me, who has ever call-up your father, mother, you or anybody from your lineage for any community assignment; let alone LGA or state assignment?

Don't allow jealousy and tribalism to eat you up. These 2 have the capacity to short your life span.

Who knows that you exist? But the whole world knows that she does. Read objective discussions by people like okija-juju, tarqa, etc. If you, go and watch Rocket Monkeys or Ben 10: kid!!!!

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by texazzpete(m): 12:24pm On Nov 22, 2013
jusRadical:

Please don't insult the woman.

Of course you know that her acheivements are bigger than that of your lineage. Your father, mother and your entire village can never stand where she had stood or tread where she has trodden.

Pray to marry a woman like her or have a mother like her. Shame on you.

'Achievements' aren't just about money. Mother Theresa never commanded the wealth and power Okonjo-Iweala has, she will remain remembered and revered long after Mrs Iweala is dust.

Perhaps you'd throw your mother under the bus for her...but I'm pretty sure @4chi is perfectly happy with his own mother.

When I think about NOI, I only remember her bare-faced lies during the fuel subsidy crisis.

I think you people need to get your priorities in order. All I am interested in is a good Nigeria to leave to my children. To me, anyone who stands in the way of that is scum!

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-iweala Slams Punch Newspaper Over ‘malicious, Defamatory’ Editorial! by texazzpete(m): 12:29pm On Nov 22, 2013
jusRadical:

Toddler please you can criticize the FGN policies but don't result to insults. By resulting to insults, you are only showing people how bad your home trainning was (if at all you had any).

She is paid in dollars because she has what the country needs: she is a hot cake. World bank, OBJ, GEJ, etc, required her services and went for her.

Tell me, who has ever call-up your father, mother, you or anybody from your lineage for any community assignment; let alone LGA or state assignment?

So by your logic, we take it your home training was bad (if at all you had any) since you quite easily drag his parents into this argument?

Nigeria is a well oiled machinery where everyone has to play his/her part. If his parents have worked as civil servants or done their NYSC, they HAVE been called to serve the Government just the same as Ngozi. Is her 'sacrifice' any more than that of a teacher that is posted from her state in Ekiti to go and teach in Kaduna state, leaving her family behind?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

East-west Road: Progress Report With Pictures / Tambuwal Partners With Turkish Investors To Revive Furniture Company / Fuel Pump Price Hits N285 In FCT

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.