Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,751 members, 7,820,588 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:44 PM

Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 (25312 Views)

''Nigerian Politicians With Houses & Businesses In UAE'' - Sahara Reporters / ‘boko Haram In Zimbabwe En Route South Africa’ / "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by olorunthobby(f): 8:03am On Nov 24, 2013
space booked..
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by NadiaSA1(f): 8:04am On Nov 24, 2013
canalily: ;( jst eyeing you o o o! undecided please can we chat, huhm?
https://www.nairaland.com/1528921/naddies-lounge
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Malakh: 8:04am On Nov 24, 2013
More to come only if guys you weren't so blind.... It's called persecution
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 8:07am On Nov 24, 2013
mrphysics: ok now, am just looking forward to be first to comment, bt i knw dat God is helping me. i love nairaland and the members,they have invested so much in my life, my prayer is dat God will bless them and grant them success in life. i want to 2 thank my parents and my very person for all my efforts. wht on earth is nt physics??. if u wish to be first to comment pls like dis post

Put your life to do something useful, so that during your deathbed you don't regret it.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by AKMoney1(m): 8:10am On Nov 24, 2013
F*ck that gaddamn poorest black nation angry angry angry

They deserve this

........................./´¯/)
......................,/¯..//
...................../..../ /
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´(..´......,~/'...')
.........\.................\/..../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 8:11am On Nov 24, 2013
Bad policy that will ruin the country to dust even though this is what happens in UAE and Qatar where a local must own a large portion of share in any business you are opening.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Livinusc(m): 8:12am On Nov 24, 2013
Na now they will c d main suferness and economic meltdown, Robert Mugabe and his evil way of ruling.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by deflover(m): 8:13am On Nov 24, 2013
In as much as Nigerians will say this is bad for business i think its good....sentiments apart this govt cant create jobs and are looking for ways to make their people engaged one way or the other....

the law there states that retail business should be left for the locals to do......but the foreigners should handle the bigger things and if the must go into small scale then they should sell 51% stake to the locals..

Now alot will say FDI will run from this economy but the real deal here is if its a country good for profitable bizness....if you go to rome behave like a roman....if the law says this why do otherwise and cry the roof down.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by nyabingi(m): 8:14am On Nov 24, 2013
I hope our country leaders and policy makers are following the developmentm, if you ask my opinion i would say that the Zimbawean authorities are taking the right decision, this policy is good for their economy. this was how china got to where they are today.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by nerodenero: 8:15am On Nov 24, 2013
You can't be a stranger in your own land.No place like home.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Subom1(f): 8:15am On Nov 24, 2013
If people want to chase others out of their country. At least can they give ppl reasonable time so that the person can settle all matters etc because 1 month is not enough time for that. These are the same people who cry and curse at South Africans for doing the same thing that they are doing now! Hypocrites!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by 9jahubcom(m): 8:18am On Nov 24, 2013
not well
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by MsNas(f): 8:23am On Nov 24, 2013
Mugabe is a demented fellow. After those business owners close shops and return to their origins, who's gonna run those businesses? Zimbabweans? People who do not know the genesis of the said business not to even talk about knowing how to run it? I laugh cheesy

Mr Mugabe, continue oo. Na that one good. I no know wetin my people find go Zimbabwe sef..

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by akereconfi: 8:26am On Nov 24, 2013
mrphysics: ok now, am just looking forward to be first to comment, bt i knw dat God is helping me. i love nairaland and the members,they have invested so much in my life, my prayer is dat God will bless them and grant them success in life. i want to 2 thank my parents and my very person for all my efforts. wht on earth is nt physics??. if u wish to be first to comment pls like dis post

[size=30pt]FOOL OF LIFE[/size]

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 8:27am On Nov 24, 2013
Come home and invest
Leave them in their laziness and lack of fore-sight
Let them perish in poverty.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by sarutobie(m): 8:28am On Nov 24, 2013
You will see a Nigerian and a chinese in every nook and cranny on the earth.Shrewd business men I tell ya.So its expected that they will be the most hit by such policies.the Zimbabwean government is trying to protect the interest of her indigenous businesses but ofcourse they should be aware of the economic implication.On a side note though,how does a foreigner's hustle become a threat? The indigenes are not doing their homeworks well methinks....
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 8:30am On Nov 24, 2013
Robert Mugabe the tyrant step down. You were not born with power. Zimbabwe is among the countries with the worst economy in the world.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by olatiler(m): 8:31am On Nov 24, 2013
This will affect our Africa Jewish brothers, I think is time now they put there state in order and start developing their cave and stop naming other state as free Land lastly they should delete Triblism from their mind Enugu ppl should see Anambrians as brother while Imo should not left out

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Pharoh: 8:32am On Nov 24, 2013
Same policy applies in china where you can only set up a company by joint venture and that is how they were able to learn from the westerners. It is the right thing to do and same should be applied to the Chinese, Indians and Lebanese in Nigeria as well to empower Nigerians and learn from their expertise.

5 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Watermelon(m): 8:36am On Nov 24, 2013
I thought many third world countries including Nigeria have similar policies, retail businesses are usually preserved for the locals and if foreigners must engage in this type of business, a significant proportion of it must be controlled by the locals. This is not new, the problem remains that many countries with such laws are too corrupt to enforce them.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by ignis: 8:38am On Nov 24, 2013
pmc01: I hope our Government is monitoring the situation?

Are there no Zimbabwean businesses in Nigeria though?
I have never come across any.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Chartey(m): 8:41am On Nov 24, 2013
Most people saying it's a bad policy are just being sentimental. It's not just any business they're talking about, it's only for RETAIL businesses. Retail businesses are mostly meant for locals because no special capacity which can't be found in the country is needed for those. Most countries in the world have such laws. Maybe Nigeria even has and doesn't enforce it. This is no persecution. I'm just tired of people doing business illegally in other countries only to cry foul and play the persecution card when the law catches up with them.

7 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 8:43am On Nov 24, 2013
Pharoh: Same policy applies in china where you can only set up a company by joint venture and that is how they were able to learn from the westerners. It is the right thing to do and same should be applied to the Chinese, Indians and Lebanese in Nigeria as well to empower and learn from their expertise.

The only sensible comment on the thread. Most people don't read the background story before spewing trash. I believe Zimbabwe is in a dire economic situation and most Zimbabweans don't really have the "purchasing power" to compete with all these "big boys" and "moneybags" from other countries. I guess the government kind of saw that the only way they can give Zimbabweans a leverage is by using nationalist policies, to put them in a better space. And you can't blame them for doing that, since it's their country. You don't go to a next man's home turf and dominate him over there - that's unacceptable.

At the end of the day, this isn't an xenophobic promulgation - it's more or less indigenisation/nationalisation of businesses in the country.

PS: If you take away the economic problems of Zimbabwe induced by back-breaking sanctions - the country is about 50 years ahead of Nigeria in terms of infrastructures. Nigerians need to travel more.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by vivaciousvivi(f): 8:43am On Nov 24, 2013
Such a bakward policy!!! First Mugabe chased all d white landowners and farmers in the early 2000s that later ran d economy down. Now this. Anyway, I shldnt be suprised
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Reference(m): 8:44am On Nov 24, 2013
Mugabe and his death wish for Zimbabwe. So. Hope his fans here can explain how fruit is possible without pollination. There was and will ever be the busy bees of the forest. Mass hunger is at hand in that land.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 8:45am On Nov 24, 2013
And Nigerians were not singled out. The policy is for foreigners. Please bear with them.

They need to get back on their feet again!
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Lightening: 8:47am On Nov 24, 2013
olatiler: This will affect our Africa Jewish brothers, I think is time now they put there state in order and start developing their cave and stop naming other state as free Land lastly they should delete Triblism from their mind Enugu ppl should see Anambrians as brother while Imo should not left out

Seun, is it possible to enforce age limit for membership of this forum to keep kids like this Ola guy from devaluing this forum through infantile comments like this? It is getting too much!

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by buoye1(m): 8:47am On Nov 24, 2013
They are beefing our dear country!!!!All Zimbabwe's acct on Nairaland should be closed!
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by deflover(m): 8:50am On Nov 24, 2013
buoye1: They are beefing our dear country!!!!All Zimbabwe's acct on Nairaland should be closed!

and is this one ok........if you dont understand sound economic policies maybe you should just stay in jokes section and enjoy akpos jokes or maybe entertainment where they show you breast milk grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by badmussy(m): 8:52am On Nov 24, 2013
Symphony007: These southern and eastern africans are a pathetic breed. They are so lazy and consider themselves victims of life and want to make a living on the sweat of another man. This has been happening in south africa fro a long time where farms owned by whites for generations. Farms which has been profitable and standard for hundreds of years are taken from their white owners and given to a black man. Then the farms closes down within months or a year. If zimbabwe thought their economy was a mess, this will makes it worthless. The country will soon start living on hardouts.

Nigerians and our superiority complex. Who says indigenization fails only in Eastern and Southern countries? Read a simple literature about indigenization in Nigeria and you will learn that we are the same people wherever we are. Nobody is lazier than another as a people. We are who we are.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Subom1(f): 8:52am On Nov 24, 2013
Chartey: Most people saying it's a bad policy are just being sentimental. It's not just any business they're talking about, it's only for RETAIL businesses. Retail businesses are mostly meant for locals because no special capacity which can't be found in the country is needed for those. Most countries in the world have such laws. Maybe Nigeria even has and doesn't enforce it. This is no persecution. I'm just tired of people doing business illegally in other countries only to cry foul and play the persecution card when the law catches up with them.
GBam! The main issue I have is that this is too short notice. 1 month is not even time, they could have at least given more time for ppl to get their ish in order.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by ROCKJ1(m): 8:55am On Nov 24, 2013
Zimbabwe is a sinking ship being mismanaged by a bad captain. This is a very bad and selfish policy.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Weapon Of Mass Obstruction By Wole Soyinka / Buhari Proposes N7.2trn Budget For 2017 / Tony Nwuye, Others At Oracle's Wedding (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.