Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,624 members, 7,809,295 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:23 AM

Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 (25296 Views)

''Nigerian Politicians With Houses & Businesses In UAE'' - Sahara Reporters / ‘boko Haram In Zimbabwe En Route South Africa’ / "Lagos To Issue Residents Identity Cards By January 2013" Fashola (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by pmc01(m): 8:55am On Nov 24, 2013
ignis:
I have never come across any.

How can you tell? You might have seen several of them and just think they are Northerners, seriously. cheesy
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by dwittyc0der(f): 8:57am On Nov 24, 2013
smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley smiley

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Reference(m): 8:58am On Nov 24, 2013
Chartey: Most people saying it's a bad policy are just being sentimental. It's not just any business they're talking about, it's only for RETAIL businesses. Retail businesses are mostly meant for locals because no special capacity which can't be found in the country is needed for those. Most countries in the world have such laws. Maybe Nigeria even has and doesn't enforce it. This is no persecution. I'm just tired of people doing business illegally in other countries only to cry foul and play the persecution card when the law catches up with them.

And how do you define retail. Selling rice and beans or selling us our own Nollywood movies and charging us 11,000 per month for it. C'mon. Any product or service in the world can potentially be delivered by a local....if they can compete.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 8:59am On Nov 24, 2013
Subom1: GBam! The main issue I have is that this is too short notice. 1 month is not even time, they could have at least given more time for ppl to get their ish in order.

I don't think it's a 1 month thing. The law has been there since 2007. And I believe they would have liaised with all the business owners before now. It's probably just hitting the media now. Add the hatred the western media have for Mugabe and Zimbabwe to the equation, because of the white farmers thingy, and you would understand why the whole issue is being sensationalised.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by didfy: 9:00am On Nov 24, 2013
Unlike Nigeria where Chinese and Indians controls imported and retail market making our graduates cry like servants for monthly N30,000 salary.

** kids don't comment on my post if you don't ve mouth to feed, never unemployed nor lived abroad ***
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by mj(m): 9:06am On Nov 24, 2013
luvinhubby: Similar practices are also found in Arab countries like U.A.E & Qatar. They are called sponsors & own 51% equity in every foreign business & must sign virtually all your documents for them to be valid. It's their way of empowering the locals at foreigners expense because they are paid annual sponsorship fee.
My only concern is what's the attraction to Zimbabwe compared to those other countries.
True, that's what is done in Dubai just as you have mentioned, they are trying to protect the locals.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 9:06am On Nov 24, 2013
Reference:

And how do you define retail. Selling rice and beans or selling us our own Nollywood movies and charging us 11,000 per month for it. C'mon. Any product or service in the world can potentially be delivered by a local....if they can compete.

"Compete" is the keyword. How do you expect them to compete with cartel-like retailers who're dons in price-fixing and not run at a loss? That's like trying to compete with the Pakistani's in the corner-shop business in the UK. You would end up going bankrupt.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by niceeric(m): 9:08am On Nov 24, 2013
saint me: Un4unate, dnt knw y nigerians are alwz treated dis way. Its well, may God help us.
Dats cos all we do is win win win no matter what!....despite Zimbabwe's poor economy we still thrive better than d locals and jealousy sets in....Naija fit make am anywhere in d world
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Subom1(f): 9:09am On Nov 24, 2013
shymexx:

I don't it's a 1 month thing. The law has been there since 2007. And I believe they would have liaised with all the business owners before now. It's probably just hitting the media now. Add the hatred the western media have for Mugabe and Zimbabwe to the equation, because of the white farmers thingy, and you would understand why the whole issue is being sensationalised.

Okay I hope so. If that"s the case then fine but this was the part that got to me: ZIMBABWEAN authorities say they have given foreign shop-owners mostly Nigerians and Chinese an ultimatum to shut down their businesses by Jan. 1.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Sunnynedu: 9:11am On Nov 24, 2013
the high level of Gods grace nigerians carry always attract enviness and hatred anywhere they find themselves, besides others that are into illegal businesses what about those that are truthful? Wont they receives acceptance from fellow black brothers and white alike, what have we done to this people? Are we God himself who gave this unmerited favour that always result to our been successful anywhere we found ourselves? God will make another way for them.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by iterator25: 9:13am On Nov 24, 2013
Sunny nedu: the high level of Gods grace nigerians carry always attract enviness and hatred anywhere they find themselves, besides others that are into illegal businesses what about those that are truthful? Wont they receives acceptance from fellow black brothers and white alike, what have we done to this people? Are we God himself who gave this unmerited favour that always result to our been successful anywhere we found ourselves? God will make another way for them.
what has that got to do with this undecided

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 9:16am On Nov 24, 2013
Subom1: Okay I hope so. If that"s the case then fine but this was the part that got to me: ZIMBABWEAN authorities say they have given foreign shop-owners mostly Nigerians and Chinese an ultimatum to shut down their businesses by Jan. 1.

Good girl. That's sensationalism at its peak and anything to nail Sir. Mugabe on the cross and beat him with thorns.

Yes, he has been there for like forever and he should have relinquished power. However, smart Zimbabweans will forever be grateful to him for making them the rightful owners of their country, by make the 90% who used to own 20% of the lands, the rightful owners of 100% of the land. The powerful forces and owners of the world are against them and sensible black people need to support them as they try to get back on their feet.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by rexbuton: 9:22am On Nov 24, 2013
mrphysics: ok now, am just looking forward to be first to comment, bt i knw dat God is helping me. i love nairaland and the members,they have invested so much in my life, my prayer is dat God will bless them and grant them success in life. i want to 2 thank my parents and my very person for all my efforts. wht on earth is nt physics??. if u wish to be first to comment pls like dis post
I could teach You the art of ' 1st to comment'... Just pm me
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Gentelsoul: 9:23am On Nov 24, 2013
Must i comment on diss topic?
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by rexbuton: 9:28am On Nov 24, 2013
There are so many similarities between zimbabwe and the country described in george orwell's 1984... If not that nigerians are wanderers, Is zimbabwe as developed as Any 2nd tier city in nigeria? Dey should leave and go back home, because When they start killing them, there's nothing You Can do, mugabe doesn't even believe in diplomacy in the first place
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by sademola: 9:28am On Nov 24, 2013
Let's pick the lessons from these happenings and apply to Nigeria. If Nigeria were gd enough not much of us would be out there scouting for a living.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Sunnynedu: 9:31am On Nov 24, 2013
this is a country where Obasanjo went and rigged election in favour of mugabe the president now and has rigged elections twice there before now, when an evil man is in power this are the results, the payback/paytime or should I say the rigging is boomeranging who knows

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by oluamid(m): 9:32am On Nov 24, 2013
Nigeria has done something akin to this before. The Indigenisation policy of the 1970s also took businesses from foreign owners and transferred them to Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by duni04(m): 9:36am On Nov 24, 2013
Mugabe's version of affirmative action, though justifiable in some instances, is just too extremist and thoughtless. Same way he introduced hyperinflation and depression to his country's economy cos he wanted to redistribute land.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 9:39am On Nov 24, 2013
canalily: undecidedSo Nigerians are even in zimbabwire? What business are they doing there?
ask google.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 24, 2013
duni04: Mugabe's version of affirmative action, though justifiable in some instances, is just too extremist and thoughtless. Same way he introduced hyperinflation and depression to his country's economy cos he wanted to redistribute land.

Why are most of you lot book readers and not critical thinkers? He introduced hyperinflation - or the hyperinflation was induced by conspiracy and back-breaking sanctions? Zimbabwe was meant to be bombed to bits - China and Russia blocked that. However, the alternative was what caused the hyperinflation and the country was brought to its kneels. But they're brave-hearts and they went against all odds, and survived.

The same law you lot whining about is in almost every country on the planet.

4 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 9:41am On Nov 24, 2013
Very good mugagbe. Thats a step in building your economy by making basic necessity supply ingenious and being done by the locals.

Let his people survive!!!

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 9:42am On Nov 24, 2013
rexbuton: There are so many similarities between zimbabwe and the country described in george orwell's 1984... If not that nigerians are wanderers, Is zimbabwe as developed as Any 2nd tier city in nigeria? Dey should leave and go back home, because When they start killing them, there's nothing You Can do, mugabe doesn't even believe in diplomacy in the first place

Harare is far more developed than the most developed city in Nigeria.

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Subom1(f): 9:44am On Nov 24, 2013
rexbuton: There are so many similarities between zimbabwe and the country described in george orwell's 1984... If not that nigerians are wanderers, Is zimbabwe as developed as Any 2nd tier city in nigeria? Dey should leave and go back home, because When they start killing them, there's nothing You Can do, mugabe doesn't even believe in diplomacy in the first place
You really need to travel. Zimbabwe used to be one of the best if not the best country in Africa back in the day(Rhodesia). They also have the best literacy rate in Africa.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 9:47am On Nov 24, 2013
Subom1: You really need to travel. Zimbabwe used to be one of the best if not the best country in Africa back in the day(Rhodesia). They also have the best literacy rate in Africa.

Word.

They also speak the best English in Africa. grin

They're a pain in the ar.se sometimes, but we need to show them that black solidarity! cool

3 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by rexbuton: 9:48am On Nov 24, 2013
Subom1: You really need to travel. Zimbabwe used to be one of the best if not the best country in Africa back in the day(Rhodesia). They also have the best literacy rate in Africa.
back in the day...
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Shekson(m): 9:48am On Nov 24, 2013
shymexx:

The only sensible comment on the thread. Most people don't read the background story before spewing trash. I believe Zimbabwe is in a dire economic situation and most Zimbabweans don't really have the "purchasing power" to compete with all these "big boys" and "moneybags" from other countries. I guess the government kind of saw that the only way they can give Zimbabweans a leverage is by using nationalist policies, to put them in a better space. And you can't blame them for doing that, since it's their country. You don't go to a next man's home turf and dominate him over there - that's unacceptable.

At the end of the day, this isn't an xenophobic promulgation - it's more or less indigenisation/nationalisation of businesses in the country.

PS: If you take away the economic problems of Zimbabwe induced by back-breaking sanctions - the country is about 50 years ahead of Nigeria in terms of infrastructures. Nigerians need to travel more.

A good comment. Some peeps jz read buht dnt understand. They haven't heard of indigenization policy or the Nigerian Enterprises Promotion Decree. They need to read more. And Zimbabwe isn't even an ECOWAS country for Nigerians to lay claim to freedom of operarting small businesses

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by POPEII: 9:50am On Nov 24, 2013
It is simple, Naijan over there should enter in joint ventures/partnerships with the locals. Period

1 Like

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Subom1(f): 9:51am On Nov 24, 2013
shymexx:

Word.

They also speak the best English in Africa. grin

They're a pain in the ar.se sometimes, but we need to show them that black solidarity! cool
grin grin they sure can be
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Nobody: 9:51am On Nov 24, 2013
shymexx:

Harare is far more developed than the most developed city in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by Shekson(m): 9:52am On Nov 24, 2013
pmc01:

How can you tell? You might have seen several of them and just think they are Northerners, seriously. cheesy
Zimbabweans dnt look like Northerners. They aint even from the Northern part of Africa. Learn a lil geography of people and culture

2 Likes

Re: Nigerians, Others To Close Businesses In Zimbabwe By January 2014 by odiyaka(m): 9:52am On Nov 24, 2013
Na wa ooo. Why are we always under attack in foreign land. It seems we are trait to the world!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Gunmen Blow Up Agip Pipeline In Bayelsa / Dino Melaye, George Weah And Toyin Saraki Pictured Today / Muslims And Christians Are Sons Of Abraham – Buhari On Leah Sharibu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.