Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,393 members, 7,819,404 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:47 PM

Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting (5378 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Help Radiator Fan Not Working ( Problem Solved ) / Is It Good To Remove Thermostat To Stop Overheating? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by chukel(m): 3:34pm On Nov 25, 2013
The dangers of removing thermostat from vehicles, bypassing the thermoswitch and connecting fans directly have been overflogged nd overemphasized on this forum. we have to move ahead and save our cars as our mechos who are very fast and dogmatic in their belief to remove thermostat are also reluctant when it comes to reversing the procedure to factory setting. since we are evolving to DIY, i would like ikenna, sienna, hanson, car doctor and other knowledgable car techs to guide us on how to reverse this anomaly by ourselves. pls ur inputs are needed. we need step by step on how to go about it. diagrams are welcome. someone can give us d basics before we delve into specific cars.
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by chukel(m): 3:35pm On Nov 25, 2013
any youtube video is highly welcome too.
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by chukel(m): 10:35pm On Nov 25, 2013
ikenna, sienna wia r u guys

1 Like

Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by DisGuy: 11:17pm On Nov 25, 2013
chukel: any youtube video is highly welcome too.

except perhaps its made in nigeria, mechanic elsewhere dont do it so you'll hardly see a video of this procedure

Hope there's a Nigerian tech willing to make a video

1 Like

Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Nobody: 9:24am On Nov 26, 2013
Please, Siena, lomomike, ikenna351, lots of us are waiting for this video.
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Burger01(m): 10:26am On Dec 07, 2013
I'm not a mech but from my little experience on this issue this was how I sorted my thermostat wahala.

I ran a diag on d car and it came with codes p0118, p0117, and some codes I can't recollect offhand. The interpretation of the codes gave me an insight that there was missing thermostat, bridged and short circuit temperature switch and so on.. I noticed engine fans come up the instant I start the car.

Having these faults at the back of my head, brought out the car service manual. I opened the car bonnet and traced the thermostat housing. I removed the housing and lo their was no thermostat. I went and got a thermostat, fixed it.

I traced and looked for the temperature switch. It was plugged in to the temp sensor. All seemed well but on second thought I unplugged d switch from the temp sensor and what I saw shocked me. The switch was bridged with a thin wire running from one port to the other port and was plugged to the temp sensor in that way. This connection actually made the fans to come up at engine start. I proceeded and removed the wire used to bridge the switch, plugged the switch back to the temp sensor without the wire..

I went to the car, fired up and menh all started well and noiselessly. The temp gauge gave a normal reading and the fan came up when the temp gauge was a little below half. One of the two fans came up fine without ac. With ac both fans came up automatically.

Ever since then I've always been enjoying my ride. No high fuel consumption, no black smoke, and experienced more power.

I bow for naija mechanics. They always do things off books and when you try to correct them inline with manufacturers car manual they become defensive and really stupid.

6 Likes

Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by chukel(m): 5:08pm On Dec 09, 2013
Burger01: I'm not a mech but from my little experience on this issue this was how I sorted my thermostat wahala.

I ran a diag on d car and it came with codes p0118, p0117, and some codes I can't recollect offhand. The interpretation of the codes gave me an insight that there was missing thermostat, bridged and short circuit temperature switch and so on.. I noticed engine fans come up the instant I start the car.

Having these faults at the back of my head, brought out the car service manual. I opened the car bonnet and traced the thermostat housing. I removed the housing and lo their was no thermostat. I went and got a thermostat, fixed it.

I traced and looked for the temperature switch. It was plugged in to the temp sensor. All seemed well but on second thought I unplugged d switch from the temp sensor and what I saw shocked me. The switch was bridged with a thin wire running from one port to the other port and was plugged to the temp sensor in that way. This connection actually made the fans to come up at engine start. I proceeded and removed the wire used to bridge the switch, plugged the switch back to the temp sensor without the wire..

I went to the car, fired up and menh all started well and noiselessly. The temp gauge gave a normal reading and the fan came up when the temp gauge was a little below half. One of the two fans came up fine without ac. With ac both fans came up automatically.

Ever since then I've always been enjoying my ride. No high fuel consumption, no black smoke, and experienced more power.

I bow for naija mechanics. They always do things off books and when you try to correct them inline with manufacturers car manual they become defensive and really stupid.
Tnks a lot for dis contribution. I love wen guys do it themselves. Did u lose all d coolant wen u opened the thermostat housing. Which car In particular did u do d work on. Tnks for keeping this thread alive

1 Like

Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Burger01(m): 9:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
chukel:
Tnks a lot for dis contribution. I love wen guys do it themselves. Did u lose all d coolant wen u opened the thermostat housing. Which car In particular did u do d work on. Tnks for keeping this thread alive

Yeah, some coolants dripped out. Aftte everything I refilled and did bleeding to make sure ni air was trapped in the system.

The car worked on was a Mazda Tribute 01 ES V6..

1 Like

Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by beizboi: 9:08pm On Dec 09, 2013
This tread is just what i need now. I own a honda accord 96, 2.0-ils, manual transmission ( aka bullet ). And both fans come on immediately the ignition is turned on. However, it was not so when i first acquired the car. It only became so after visits to mechanic workshops. I was really a novice then. But thanks to 'car talk' on NL i know so much i shouldn't have allowed on my car. But i still don't know how to reverse or have my car fans returned to factory setting. Pls anyone with the knowledge to kindly help out? Thanks OP for the thread. I'll be following keenly.
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by chukel(m): 12:49pm On Dec 10, 2013
beizboi: This tread is just what i need now. I own a honda accord 96, 2.0-ils, manual transmission ( aka bullet ). And both fans come on immediately the ignition is turned on. However, it was not so when i first acquired the car. It only became so after visits to mechanic workshops. I was really a novice then. But thanks to 'car talk' on NL i know so much i shouldn't have allowed on my car. But i still don't know how to reverse or have my car fans returned to factory setting. Pls anyone with the knowledge to kindly help out? Thanks OP for the thread. I'll be following keenly.
Pls, can someone help. Its not enough blasting people for allowing mechos remove their thermostat, but helping those who want to reverse d harm will be a great way of stopping dis. Cos dy will see d benefits, testify to others, carry d crusade nd even help others reverse theirs. So someone shud just help dis broda pls
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by chukel(m): 4:23pm On Dec 10, 2013
@ikenna. In as much as I wil give it to you that u r knowledgeable in car issue, dats does not mk u a Lord. U r just a moderator. I understand d content of ur post above but ur presentation is rather rude and shows arrogance. If u felt I got it wrong, y not politely give ur correction. If u read my initial posts, u wud av seen where I said smone shud give d basics before we delve into specific cars. Dat statement shud av informed u dat I lent credence to d different technologies in different cars. I also never mentioned my cooling system was abused. I just felt d trouble motorist r going thru based on posts in dis forum. Burger just stated how he did his. Dat can help anoda person who owns d same make nd model of his car do his. Since u r vast in peugeot, y not pick a particular common model of peugeot nd elaborate on dat. Or do u only derive joy in lambasting those who have made such error? If u kn our mechos, u will kn hw defiant dy r wen it comes to reversing this thermostat issue.

5 Likes

Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by chukel(m): 4:49pm On Dec 10, 2013
Even without u knowing it, u have laid d basics which I asked for. At least I nd many other nairalanders kn dat d fans get their triggers from different places. So common knowledge wud tell that the trigger is most likely d bridged position. Dat is wat u who are knowledgeable in dis field shud do rather dan ur opening line. If u did nt kn nd still dnt kn, u gave us part of d basics I asked for. All d same tnks for ur contribution. How about someone good with honda help guide beizboi thru his own.
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Ikenna351(m): 6:24pm On Dec 10, 2013
chukel: @ikenna. In as much as I wil give it to you that u r knowledgeable in car issue, dats does not mk u a Lord. U r just a moderator. I understand d content of ur post above but ur presentation is rather rude and shows arrogance. If u felt I got it wrong, y not politely give ur correction. I also never mentioned my cooling system was abused.

If I had known the above would be the response I would get, I wouldn't have bothered to explain why the people you called to treat the content of your 1st post have not done so. If you knew all these while that I was possing myself as "lord" when I am just a moderator, why did you call on me? What statement did i make in that post that you could insult me in this manner?

Nice topic, but wrong content? Is this what you called possing as lord, rude and arrogance? So all the explanation i gave why the message/reqest in your post would be difficult to achieve, was not enough for you to understand why i said "wrong content"?

.........""Now, Op, check the content of your first post here and tell me again what wrong we have done for not posting videos that will end up causing more confusion to your abused cooling systems ?"".......

^^^^So, with the above quotation, especially the bolded, so I was referring to you? Is that why you got offended?

I felt very bad for the wasted effort. I wanted to remove the post since it was a mistake, but i have decided to ask first. So, please, since you created this thread, just do me a favour. Did I sound rude and showed arrogance in that post? All I need from you is YES or NO.

If i dont get any response, i will go ahead and remove the post and mind my business, like others you ask to contribute have done.

Ikenna
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Burger01(m): 8:43am On Dec 13, 2013
Why hidden posts on a supposedly enlightening thread
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by chukel(m): 12:49pm On Dec 13, 2013
Burger01: Why hidden posts on a supposedly enlightening thread

Well, the "almighty" ikenna d moderator decided to hide his informative posts over ego and arrogance at the detriment of nairalanders whom he claims to moderate for. A case of thermostat as sensitive as dis, he decides to hide his posts. Wat can I say, dis is d way it is people. This not only smacks of arrogance but an extreme case of childishness. At every slightest power one is given to serve, he wants to be d only eye thru which pple see, the only mouth thru which dy speak. well, I tried to see if nairalanders cud start helping dia rides with input from pple like ikenna. Turned out I was wrong. He can as well shut down the thread. Nairalanders can continue shouting bout removed thermostat nd its attendant problems while d likes of ikenna shout at them for their ignorance and "stupidity". The cycle continues.

6 Likes

Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 13, 2013
@ Chukel, Were you paid to show off your arrogance?
What offense has Mr Ikenna committed that makes you speak with such dislike even when you most probably haven't met him in person? That Mr Ikenna hid his own post should tell you that everybody is entitled to his own opinion. Learn to speak with civility and avoid silly insults. It only passes a message across to people that you are immatured.
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by chukel(m): 3:17pm On Dec 13, 2013
lomomike: @ Chukel, Were you paid to show off your arrogance?
What offense has Mr Ikenna committed that makes you speak with such dislike even when you most probably haven't met him in person? That Mr Ikenna hid his own post should tell you that everybody is entitled to his own opinion. Learn to speak with civility and avoid silly insults. It only passes a message across to people that you are immatured.

Nd u av spoken/ typed with maturity? If u dnt kn where u are coming from, u will surely not kn where u r going. Ask ikenna y he is selectively unhiding/ restoring some of his hidden post. Y not restore all of them so dat u kn where u r coming from.

1 Like

Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Nobody: 3:24pm On Dec 13, 2013
chukel:

Nd u av spoken/ typed with maturity? If u dnt kn where u are coming from, u will surely not kn where u r going. Ask ikenna y he is selectively unhiding/ restoring some of his hidden post. Y not restore all of them so dat u kn where u r coming from.
I've gone through ALL the posts on this thread countless times, infact, I follow up on this thread and I can tell you go back and read ALL the posts on this thread S L O W L Y and when you're done, come back and talk with maturity and stop those silly accusations. This is the last time I will reply you here on this matter. Final advice, grow up!
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by abatically(m): 4:12pm On Dec 13, 2013
lomomike:
I've gone through ALL the posts on this thread countless times, infact, I follow up on this thread and I can tell you go back and read ALL the posts on this thread S L O W L Y and when you're done, come back and talk with maturity and stop those silly accusations. This is the last time I will reply you here on this matter. Final advice, grow up!

If there is anybody that needs to grow up on this thread its Mr Ikenna and u know it. Little wonder he has received many criticism on this thread from lots of members.
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Burger01(m): 7:42pm On Dec 13, 2013
Ikenna take it easy. We're all here to learn and kind of make things easier for car owners. No knowledge shared is little or above little. let's grow up and act maturely. I take my car serious and so do other peeps. unfortunately I didn't get to read Ikenna's posts before he decided to have them hidden.
By and large, let's learn and share knowledge. Abeg bury the hatchet.

Thanks.
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Ikenna351(m): 7:37am On Dec 14, 2013
Burger01: Ikenna take it easy. We're all here to learn and kind of make things easier for car owners. No knowledge shared is little or above little. let's grow up and act maturely. I take my car serious and so do other peeps. unfortunately I didn't get to read Ikenna's posts before he decided to have them hidden.
By and large, let's learn and share knowledge. Abeg bury the hatchet.

Thanks.

I don't get paid for being a moderator in Car Talk. I don't get paid here for sharing the little knowledge I have acquired in car industry, which have helped many members of Nairaland in resolving their car issues. So I don't get to be commanded to share that knowledge by the original poster and get to be insulted for sharing that knowledge for free, by the same op.

I can be open minded, but disciplined enough to draw line to nonsense. So i will only share that little knowledge that cost me a lot to acquire where it will be truly needed and appreciated.

Ikenna
Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Ikenna351(m): 7:41am On Dec 14, 2013
@ chukel and abatically,

I hope you are not elektra80? Because if you are, you know what will happen to all posts and these two usernames if i eventually find out.

@ chukel,

Any more insult from you on this thread to any moderator or member, you will be banned.

Re: Reversing Thermostat/radiator Fan Bypass And Bridging To Factory Setting by Burger01(m): 8:01am On Dec 14, 2013
@Ikenna, you didn't get my view. Well, do it your way.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Coastal Oil / How To Register Autel Maxisys MS906 Diagnostic Scanner / ECU/BRAIN BOX FOR TOYOTA COROLLA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.