Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,307 members, 7,819,046 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:29 AM

Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? (44308 Views)

Why Do Igbo People Claim Yoruba Words To Be Theirs? / Why Do Igbo Kids Ignore Elders? / Do Igbo's Have Mixed Ancestry (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by obalolaunited(m): 2:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
$on of anarchy:
Some one is watching ooh....e-gladiators get ready for ban

Chai naija I hail thee but that pics u posted resembles my neighbour sexkillz abi na him

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Habakus: 2:26pm On Nov 28, 2013
@OP,E be like you no get handwork dis aftanun....wetin cum be d purpose of dis thread nw? Abi Tribal e-war don dey hungry u...respect urself o o.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by veraponpo(m): 2:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
Tapout: Maybe b'cos once married, igbo women remain faithful 2 d end

What of those that marry 'oyinbo' the white ie. the westerners... and the ones that married from within and are divorced now...

It is not only the Igbo, it is our African mentality.

Don't be surprised that within same Igbo, Anambra will still complain about Imo, Ebonyi will still complain about Abia, etc Do you know there are some people called Osu among the Igbos? It is a sign of naivety and crudeness in Africa, it is not because their women are better but because they feel insecure with other tribes or states.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by BrutusOj(m): 2:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
Undiluted lie...70% of d ashis on badoo are igbo ladies,bot divorced,married n single..

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:28pm On Nov 28, 2013
Of course there exceptions to the rule
But promiscuity is not our thing.

If na lie ask cheesy ... Infact I won't name some areas now to avoid tribal bashing
tosingcfr:

I'm presently in an igbo village,I know of a lady who commits adultery. Is that your definition of faithfulness Don't generalise please

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by sonofanarchy(m): 2:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
obalolaunited:

Chai naija I hail thee but that pics u posted resembles my neighbour sexkillz abi na him
grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Truckpusher(m): 2:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
lorretta u: It is a general belief that igbo women don't mess around while married
That's the cause of the high bride price and the reason why igbo men don't like to marry out.on the bride price day,the kinsmen will always call the bride aside and tell her "stick to you husband no matter what"
I know guys like that that's why they keep coming for more

Even other tribes come to igbo to marry
The most proposals I ever got were from non-igbo guys. Which led me to believe that non-igbos love igbo women

Of course there are exceptions to the rule.and times are changing. Igbo people especially our women are marrying into other tribes without bias nowadays.
Messing around while married doesn't have anything to do with one's tribe or ethnicity ,but self discipline and a lot of factors that cannot be generalized as a common trait belonging to a particular people.
So, my beautiful friend if you don't have anything reasonable to offer on this topic, just shut it shocked shocked grin tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Afam4eva(m): 2:29pm On Nov 28, 2013
sniperliz: I disagree with op, I have lived in virtually all states in south south, and our men tend to marry the indigenes of the various state in which they reside..... 60% of Igbo men marry outside....
This your stats get k-leg....60% ko 90% ni.

7 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tammie24: 2:30pm On Nov 28, 2013
hahaha there are more married Igbo ashewos in Abuja than any other tribe
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 2:31pm On Nov 28, 2013
They are still living in the past. Imagine the "osu" caste still being practised.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by PrettySpicey(f): 2:32pm On Nov 28, 2013
Ewo, Nsogbu!!!
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
Why do u guys like picking on sexkillz?

I don't like it. Leave him alone embarassed
obalolaunited:

saintneo:

Is that sexkillz

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Afam4eva(m): 2:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
tammie24:
hahaha there are more married Igbo ashewos in Abuja than any other tribe
I think transparency international needs to hire you. You sure know how to collect stats from your bedroom.

6 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:33pm On Nov 28, 2013
Why do people pick a pan-Nigerian problem and make it seem like a specifically Igbo problem?

People instinctively want their children to marry from within their culture group.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
I'm igbo but I must confess that's something I really hate about our culture. Every other aspect is good IMO but that osu thingy. Eww
I used to tell my folks if I want to marry and the guy is osu,it won't stop me. Trust them na they gave me the mouth-trashing of my life.
I wish there's something I can do about it

It's not fair.
Orlando Owoh: They are still living in the past. Imagine the "osu" caste still being practised.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Dynast(m): 2:36pm On Nov 28, 2013
Most Igbo women respect the sanctity of marriage. No sleeping around
Some other tribes atimes involve themselves in etra marital
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:37pm On Nov 28, 2013
felifeli: Na dem sabi. Who wan marry Igbo sef? grin grin
Lola Omotayo, OBJ pikin etc. . . grin grin grin

#TeamGOM

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by superstar1(m): 2:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
They do get married to other tribes. Especially the ones that are not really staying east. I have enough examples of Igbos married to other tribes around me.

There is even dearth of guys - responsible guys though - in the country, that one chic will be doing yanga. grin
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
We mess around with other tribe ladies,buh wen marriage come we dey return east go find wife,becos its only igbo girl dat know how to chop our money tongue

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by freecocoa(f): 2:40pm On Nov 28, 2013
Because we like to keep it simple and our men value\respect us undecided

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by paris10: 2:41pm On Nov 28, 2013
Igbo men spend lavishly on their women and assume ownership of the women after marriage. They also give abundantly to their in-laws, train and sponsor their wives siblings and many more. Now tell me, which igbo man would want to give his daughter to an outcast when a fellow igbo man would do all of the above listed?

Furthermore, an igbo man would feel more secure with an igbo woman when it comes to his business dealings ( yall know dem business are always shady). Yoruba girls are not that secretive and would jeopardize everything.

Igbo women are beautiful and fair in complexion compare to their fellow tribal counterparts,; these bunch are money grablers and knows nothing about love. They would marry any igbo man as long as the money is there.

Igbo parents are the main causation of this out-of-date practice. ..they loveeeee moneyyyyy!!! And igbo guys are ready to spend even if it involves killing for it. By and large, it is a cultural thing, and traditionally, igbo men loves their igbo women!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Nobody: 2:43pm On Nov 28, 2013
tosingcfr:

I'm presently in an igbo village,I know of a lady who commits adultery. Is that your definition of faithfulness Don't generalise please
One in 1million! By the way, which village s dat? angry

1 Like

Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tosingcfr(m): 2:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
lorretta u: Of course there exceptions to the rule
But promiscuity is not our thing.

If na lie ask cheesy ... Infact I won't name some areas now to avoid tribal bashing
cheesy I would be marrying soon,gist me so that I don't fall into wrong hands. BTW, I've met some faithful igbo ladies
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by jaybee3(m): 2:46pm On Nov 28, 2013
freecocoa: Because we like to keep it simple and our men value\respect us undecided
So we don't value and respect you?

I could have sworn all these qualities are not tribe specific

A good man irrespective of tribe/ethnicity/religious bias should have all 'em qualities, No?
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Ajibel(m): 2:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
It's not just Igbo... Even Yorubas'
I think it's the negative orientation that has been fed into the boys since they were young about other tribes that makes them reluctant to marry from another tribe.

I wouldn't forget the day my Dad told me that over his dead body will I marry from the east after hearing I was dating an Igbo. Same with the Mum of my gf calling me to tell me I should never speak to her daughter again cuz I be yoruba smh sad
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Soso990240(m): 2:48pm On Nov 28, 2013
Who said igbos dont marry from other tribes? Anyway,its same in every tribe.the discrimination must be there..even wen u meet d best inlaws of all time.
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by gratiaeo(m): 2:50pm On Nov 28, 2013
I de tidy one yoruba damsel as am typing this.
You need pix?
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by tosingcfr(m): 2:51pm On Nov 28, 2013
stardragon:
One in 1million! By the way, which village s dat? angry
I won't tell you but the clue is that I'm in core East. tongue
Re: Why Do Igbo People Detest Marrying Other Tribes? by Eneze1(f): 2:52pm On Nov 28, 2013
gratiaeo: I de tidy one yoruba damsel as am typing this.
You need pix?

yes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (15) (Reply)

The Official Ukwuani Thread: Ukwuani Bu Ani Eze / Ooni Of Ife Causes A Stir With His Exotic Ride During Visit In Osun State. PICS / Some Similarities Between Ijaw , Urhobo And Itsekiri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.