Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,944 members, 7,817,775 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:18 PM

ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers - Education (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers (31642 Views)

Salary Scale Of Lecturers In Nigerian Universities / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by proffemi: 7:47pm On Nov 29, 2013
lymelyte: It cannot be a massive sack because a lot of them will resume work.

Hmm, don't be so sure.

Fact is, FG has messed up on this big time. I am definitely for calling off the strike (I have been for a long time). However, Wike is nudging me in the other direction. When the committee of pro-chancellors instructed last week that universities be opened, I was sure I would start lectures from Day 1. But...why Wike/FG felt the need to roil the waters of this issue the way they have, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Although I am a lecturer, I have to say that both FG and ASUU have, at different times, acted stupidly over this strike issue. Most recently, I think ASUU has not shown the proper respect for the Office of the President (forget whether it is GEJ or not). Hence, I was in a queer situation of not knowing which of the two combatants I was angriest with.

Wike has however made my choice easier. I do not respond well to threats. Not when I am 1000% certain of the value I bring to the table. This is not about whether I can be replaced (or how long it will take the system to do so). It is about whether I have options if GEJ sacks me. Believe me brother, I have many options, almost *all* of them better than my current job (or my current country).

Fact is, ignore all the rubbish Wike said about new demands. I kept quiet till I found out exactly what ASUU requested (not demanded) for, and there is NOTHING there that a sincere government should find so difficult to do. I am left with only two plausible explanations: (a) GEJ feels disrespected, and wants to wield the big stick. This would be somewhat understandable, but surprising, given that we are so close to resolving the issue (b) FG has not been sincere all along. After all, if they promised to inject 200B this year, and we are already 3 weeks to the effective end of the year...

I am not totally sure I will refuse to resume; however I can assure you 1000% that if I do, Wike's threat will not be the reason. In fact, his threat is the only reason why I am likely not to resume work.

So I say: Wike, bring it on (and to my students: sorry we live in a shitty country).

8 Likes

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by frankyychiji(f): 7:52pm On Nov 29, 2013
Alleinad:
All those in favour of the government, pls mind your grammar. Prove to those of us in favour of ASUU that you have a valid point and hv gotten a standard education from the dilapidated universities that ASUU is seeking to re-structure.
Pls buzz off if u have nothing meaningful to say. We are not joking here. This is not d romance section pls.
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by 9jagobeta: 7:56pm On Nov 29, 2013
Abeg. Are they(ASUU) babies and people saying they should sack ASUU, do you think if they are to hire high quality lecturers as you all want, it will take just an hour and school will resume back this year? We need to look and think about what all these folly of theirs is really doing to our future. They are all thieves abeg. Fg can't sack all of them just like that, its done no where and it might cause a revolution. People advising Jonathan are just short sighted thieves and Goodluck himself has no plan or solution just following some mumu advice. GOD GO SAVE US CAUSE NA WE DEY SUFFER AM OO.
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by uobimba(m): 8:18pm On Nov 29, 2013
Mavor: Yep, am sure FG is making plans for replacement. Better to use that money and hire quality teachers from abroad, even on part time basis than to succumb to the ransom of all these greedy quacks.
Guy do u tink FG has d courage to pay foreign teachers? Or do u tink foreign lecturers wil tolerate poor infrastructure and FG inconsistent behavior without abdicating? Dez are mere threats ASUU is a union
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by frankyychiji(f): 8:18pm On Nov 29, 2013
Alleinad:
you shouldn't speak to a lady that way. She has a right to air her views just like you and even if your views clash, derogatory statements are not the way to express your anger.
Another empty barrel. Pls what's d trend in peruvian hair?

1 Like

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by IYANGBALI: 8:20pm On Nov 29, 2013
ASUU abeg make una no answer dem,abeg don't go bak to work untill after 2015 erec_tion,I hate schooling
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by iretiland: 8:31pm On Nov 29, 2013
At least we are now sure what the South South (S/S) can offer to Nigeria: a DULL President and a THUG as Education Minister. I always believe the S/S can do better, but with the way most of them are going about supporting their man, GEJ, they seems to be sleeping and facing the same direction.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by trusted(m): 8:50pm On Nov 29, 2013
Well said.

stagger:

Mr man, Abacha not only wrote sack letter, he issued eviction notices from their official residences. DID IT WORK? NO.

Fashola that sacked doctors: did he not call them back?

We are not in a military era. The use of such language by government will only fuel the suspicions of the striking lecturers. A typical lecturer is 10 years in the making, 20 years or more for Professors.

Ok, where will the government recruit the new lecturers from? FROM YOUR VILLAGE?
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nocojp: 8:52pm On Nov 29, 2013
ASUU UPDATES: UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA ; RESUMES SCHOOL TODAY

1 Like

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nobody: 9:01pm On Nov 29, 2013
frankyychiji: Odua dullard, are u saying that if ur father opens ten knew universities today he won't find qualified lectures to employ?

and see who is caling one a dullard? your case is pathetic. toilet undergrad
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nobody: 9:08pm On Nov 29, 2013
prof.femi:

Hmm, don't be so sure.

Fact is, FG has messed up on this big time. I am definitely for calling off the strike (I have been for a long time). However, Wike is nudging me in the other direction. When the committee of pro-chancellors instructed last week that universities be opened, I was sure I would start lectures from Day 1. But...why Wike/FG felt the need to roil the waters of this issue the way they have, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Although I am a lecturer, I have to say that both FG and ASUU have, at different times, acted stupidly over this strike issue. Most recently, I think ASUU has not shown the proper respect for the Office of the President (forget whether it is GEJ or not). Hence, I was in a queer situation of not knowing which of the two combatants I was angriest with.

Wike has however made my choice easier. I do not respond well to threats. Not when I am 1000% certain of the value I bring to the table. This is not about whether I can be replaced (or how long it will take the system to do so). It is about whether I have options if GEJ sacks me. Believe me brother, I have many options, almost *all* of them better than my current job (or my current country).

Fact is, ignore all the rubbish Wike said about new demands. I kept quiet till I found out exactly what ASUU requested (not demanded) for, and there is NOTHING there that a sincere government should find so difficult to do. I am left with only two plausible explanations: (a) GEJ feels disrespected, and wants to wield the big stick. This would be somewhat understandable, but surprising, given that we are so close to resolving the issue (b) FG has not been sincere all along. After all, if they promised to inject 200B this year, and we are already 3 weeks to the effective end of the year...

I am not totally sure I will refuse to resume; however I can assure you 1000% that if I do, Wike's threat will not be the reason. In fact, his threat is the only reason why I am likely not to resume work.

So I say: Wike, bring it on (and to my students: sorry we live in a shitty country).

Oga this your grammar is too long, you de resume or not? leave Wike's matter alone
Simple, if you don't resume work by Dec 4, you my learned friend will be sacked and there's no f**king shyte you or anyone can do about it.
If you like go and work in Pluto, that's your own kettle of fish, but to say the Nigerian Students should keep staying at home while you and your stew.pid lots keep receiving salaries for jobs not executed - is very wicked and foolish to say the least.

Before it was NO WORK - NO PAY!
Now it's NO WORK - GET SACKED!!

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nocojp: 9:09pm On Nov 29, 2013
From onitsha main market or upper iweka park
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nocojp: 9:15pm On Nov 29, 2013
Dey dia dey talk rubbish beta resume work now b4 you go hear am
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nobody: 9:15pm On Nov 29, 2013
ireti_land: At least we are now sure what the South South (S/S) can offer to Nigeria: a DULL President and a THUG as Education Minister. I always believe the S/S can do better, but with the way most of them are going about supporting their man, GEJ, they seems to be sleeping and facing the same direction.

And of course, they also produce the Oil money that's used to take care of your FO.OLISH parents and entire family.
e.iddiot prostitute like you insulting the sensibilities of those feeding you, Bas.thard!
What has the SW offered Nigeria?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by norigams(m): 9:21pm On Nov 29, 2013
[quote author=uobimba]Guy do u tink FG has d courage to pay foreign teachers? Or do u tink foreign lecturers wil tolerate poor infrastructure and FG inconsistent behavior without abdicating? Dez are mere threats ASUU is a union

bros 4get them,we need foreigh lecturer's , kidnaping is a good biz dis dayz. Na FG go pay ransom who care's ?
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by mvem(m): 9:24pm On Nov 29, 2013
Nocojp: ASUU UPDATES: UNIVERSITY OF NIGERIA NSUKKA ; RESUMES SCHOOL TODAY
.....Is not about resumption....school will resume yes but who will teach....Lecteurers will resume but will be reluctant to teach or might not even teach
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by mvem(m): 9:28pm On Nov 29, 2013
Gabbysky:

Oga this your grammar is too long, you de resume or not? leave Wike's matter alone
Simple, if you don't resume work by Dec 4, you my learned friend will be sacked and there's no f**king shyte you or anyone can do about it.
If you like go and work in Pluto, that's your own kettle of fish, but to say the Nigerian Students should keep staying at home while you and your stew.pid lots keep receiving salaries for jobs not executed - is very wicked and foolish to say the least.

......Are u learner...why are u behaving mad....The military have done it and did not work...do u know abacha even arrested and detained ASUU officials in d 90s ...u must be a teenager....Let us learn from history and u re stupid for commenting foolishly
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by iretiland: 9:30pm On Nov 29, 2013
Gabbysky:

And of course, they also produce the Oil money that's used to take care of your FO.OLISH parents and entire family.
e.iddiot prostitute like you insulting the sensibilities of those feeding you, Bas.thard!

No one should be surprised about the comments of the likes of you. GEJ, the captain of your best eleven and your provide remains the worst slowpoke this country has ever seen occupying a high office. Let to me alone he will never smell that office. I was well aware of his level of dullness when he was VP. And I told those who cared to listen then, that he will be a disaster as a leader. By the way, where were the likes of you and others die-hard SS people now cheering him to high heavens, when Femi Falana, Pastor Bakare and co were matching on the street of Abuja so as to get him installed an Ag President during Yar-Adua's sickness? Ingrates.

I bet the oil you are even talking about doesn't profit you anyway. Anyway, go with your oil and become a slave of a Grand-slowpoke. No nation develops without social justice and visionary leadership. Let's see what you make of your oil with morons incharge of your affairs.
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by spenca: 9:34pm On Nov 29, 2013
lymelyte:
It cannot be a massive sack because a lot of them will resume work.

time would tell
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by skippypo(m): 9:35pm On Nov 29, 2013
dreh17: me don reach school already.i know say dose lecturers go resume come meet me here before dec 4.abeg hostel mate,help me pack garri come when coming o
buahahahahaha
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nobody: 9:38pm On Nov 29, 2013
mvem: ......Are u learner...why are u behaving mad....The military have done it and did not work...do u know abacha even arrested and detained ASUU officials in d 90s ...u must be a teenager....Let us learn from history and u re stupid for commenting foolishly
Chief, we are now in 20's not 90's and 2013 to be precise and also Abacha is dead, we have GEJ now. And those baba in ASUU then are so stubborn and ready to face any challenges not this lazy, greedy and selfish group of ppl dominating d association now. Why the internal problem then? Why are schools pulling out? Why was the vote to discontinue the strike much more than the opposite? Why are the lecturers attacking ASUU?

3 Likes

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by spenca: 9:44pm On Nov 29, 2013
Gabbysky:

sorry mate this is very bad of you what is so difficult in the man' diction that you cant understand or what has he said wrong or out of prospect that you have to use curse words on him, this is very bad mate ,watch it or it may just drown you, he only tried to justify his not resuming work and it is in the simplest form or else if you are amongst those massive numbers that failed UTME this year and it is very understandable why you did

1 Like

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Kaydem(m): 9:46pm On Nov 29, 2013
hmmm...i don't see this lingering fracas between ASUU & FG ending anytime soon...sadly, all these imbroglio is done at the peril of the Nigerian Student future...take it or you leave it the student will always be at the receiving end of these ugly senario, FG kids ain't here and some/most of the striking lecturers wards attends overseas Uni's or prolly in some of the best 9ja private Uni's...so here is now the big dangling question ''What does the Student stand to gain at the end of the whole struggle?

(1) Is it the proposed ''Rebranding of Nigerian Universities'' claimed by ASUU that look seemingly impossible overnight
(2) Is it the wasted time staying home (5months and possibly still counting)
(3) Is it the elapsed house rent
(4) is it the wasted condiments and other perishables we left in our hostels in the name of ''They would soon call off''
(5)How about Students who had in one way or the other lost their live to the struggle
(6)Distortion in the school calendar (in which we will suffer for)
(7) Final year students who can't graduate this year again or the Undergraduates whose year of graduation now carries +1...etc
At the end, its will turn out to be a win-win score card between FG & ASUU, how? ASUU get richer while FG gain more political point from the masses, Seriously, ain't we are more-or-less like a sacrificial lamb in this game...GOD HELP US!

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by spenca: 9:53pm On Nov 29, 2013
sahedorf:
Chief, we are now in 20's not 90's and 2013 to be precise and also Abacha is dead, we have GEJ now. And those baba in ASUU then are so stubborn and ready to face any challenges not this lazy, greedy and selfish group of ppl dominating d association now. Why the internal problem then? Why are schools pulling out? Why was the vote to discontinue the strike much more than the opposite? Why are the lecturers attacking ASUU?

there is no association that all members agree its not just possible but to clarify your ignorance most lecturers criticizing ASUU are members of SANUU
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by tundeism: 9:54pm On Nov 29, 2013
Gabbysky:

Mr Oga stop spewing trash, google dis topic " Nigeria Brain Gain and Brain Drain" and moreover I don't tink wike is aware of the calibre of intellectuals we have in our institutions dat dey ar not people u can order around..I pity dis country..I swear
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nobody: 9:57pm On Nov 29, 2013
tundeism: Mr Oga stop spewing trash, google dis topic " Nigeria Brain Gain and Brain Drain" and moreover I don't tink wike is aware of the calibre of intellectuals we have in our institutions dat dey ar not people u can order around..I pity dis country..I swear
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nobody: 9:59pm On Nov 29, 2013
Kaydem: hmmm...i don't see this lingering fracas between ASUU & FG ending anytime soon...sadly, all these imbroglio is done at the peril of the Nigerian Student future...take it or you leave it the student will always be at the receiving end of these ugly senario, FG kids ain't here and some/most of the striking lecturers wards attends overseas Uni's or prolly in some of the best 9ja private Uni's...so here is now the big dangling question ''What does the Student stand to gain at the end of the whole struggle?

(1) Is it the proposed ''Rebranding of Nigerian Universities'' claimed by ASUU that look seemingly impossible overnight
(2) Is it the wasted time staying home (5months and possibly still counting)
(3) Is it the elapsed house rent
(4) is it the wasted condiments and other perishables we left in our hostels in the name of ''They would soon call off''
(5)How about Students who had in one way or the other lost their live to the struggle
(6)Distortion in the school calendar (in which we will suffer for)
(7) Final year students who can't graduate this year again or the Undergraduates whose year of graduation now carries +1...etc
At the end, its will turn out to be a win-win score card between FG & ASUU, how? ASUU get richer while FG gain more political point from the masses, Seriously, ain't we are more-or-less like a sacrificial lamb in this game...GOD HELP US!
Bless you for that........... Plenty Alubarika for you
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by frankyychiji(f): 10:01pm On Nov 29, 2013
diluminati:

and see who is caling one a dullard? your case is pathetic. toilet undergrad
waoh! The joke is on u!! grin. What's d need for d question mark at d end of ur first sentence? I won't highlight it. I won't also teach u to always begin a new sentence wt a cap letter. Odua dullard! grin

1 Like

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by tundeism: 10:01pm On Nov 29, 2013
Gabbysky:

You ar not knowledgeable
Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by Nobody: 10:04pm On Nov 29, 2013
spenca:

there is no association that all members agree its not just possible but to clarify your ignorance most lecturers criticizing ASUU are members of SANUU
Clarify my ignorance by answering all the questions man. The members voted for the dis continuation of the strike do u remember? You want 5 months salaries of an unexecuted works abi? Sit down there and quote me till next week, shey you hear? You'll think this is 90's or the military or late abacha that failed then.

1 Like

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by kalimera101: 10:05pm On Nov 29, 2013
tm-tech:
I hope the attitudes of our lecturers towards teaching will improve after resumption....cos ASUU members are only concerned abt structural development and increase in salary.....
Yet there are other germane issue undiscussed....lyk the way lecturers come to class with a note of 10yrs and wouldn't even bother to explain or update and so many other human(intrinsic) factors militating against the standard of edu in naija
A note of 10 years. That's quite close. The lecturer's note I had on me was compiled 1989. How long is that? Umm. 24years.

2 Likes

Re: ASUU Dismisses Fg’s Threat To Sack Lecturers by chimex38: 10:11pm On Nov 29, 2013
stagger:

Mr man, Abacha not only wrote sack letter, he issued eviction notices from their official residences. DID IT WORK? NO.

Fashola that sacked doctors: did he not call them back?

We are not in a military era. The use of such language by government will only fuel the suspicions of the striking lecturers. A typical lecturer is 10 years in the making, 20 years or more for Professors.

Ok, where will the government recruit the new lecturers from? FROM YOUR VILLAGE?

u don 4get say many of our P.HD holders dey do menial jobs.. D ones u hear & d ones u dont hear. Dont 4get dat many masters & Drs. applied as tanker drivers in Dangotes firm. What do u say about dat? Like i said, many u hear, many u dont hear. Let Gej declare d strikin lecturers positions vacant.. U will know dat dere are hidden professors doin businesses & odd jobs. There is unemployment in evry aspect of d country. No course of study is guaranteed job security even ASUU lecturers.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Maritime Academy Of Nigeria Oron Registeration / Idogbo Secondary Students Edo Destroy School Properties, Attack Principal, Polic / Ochuwa Momoh George Completes Her PhD With 5.0 CPGA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.