Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,237 members, 7,811,665 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 04:50 PM

If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! (13352 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / God Is Obligated To Keep The World Rotating Because If He Doesn't,... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by trustman: 9:47pm On Dec 01, 2013
The popular portion that is usually quoted with respect to tithing is Malachi 3: 8-11. This passage refers to what was expected of the nation Israel to do amongst other things: One thing amongst others that they were equally required to keep doing. The original instruction for this was from the Book of the Law. There is therefore the need to go to the Mosaic Law to CLEARLY understand ALL that God asked Israel to do. A misunderstanding of God’s instruction will obviously lead to misapplication which we find all over the place today.

For those who choose the route of keeping the law, of which tithing is a part, God’s requirement for getting a pass mark is 100% adherence to ALL the requirements of the law. This was the point James 2: 10 makes clear. The Law required strict adherence to ALL its tenets. Whoever keeps most of the law but fails in one point has become accountable for all of it. So, failing in one point, as far as the law was concerned, means breaking ALL of it! Therefore any Christian today who keeps one or two aspects of the law such as tithing or paying firstfruits offering and thinks he is accepted by God on that basis is making a big mistake.

Some will claim ‘tithing by faith’ which perhaps means they say they choose to tithe like Abraham and so are not doing it under the law since Abraham did it pre-law. If it is to massage their consciences that they do this, fine. But they still need to show if God commanded or instructed them, as Christians, to do it that way.

For the Malachi 3 crowd however, they need to know that they are expected to COMPLETELY fulfill the rest of the Mosaic Law. That is why we have in Galatians 5:3 – “Again I declare to every man who lets himself be circumcised (one aspect of God’s instruction that every Israelite was to fulfill) that he is obligated to obey the whole law”. Is this not clear enough? If you choose to live by or adopt one command of the law for your spiritual life you are expected to adopt every other one for you to be acceptable to God.

So if you tithe, you are obligated to keep the whole law. That is what the Bible says. Maybe you can now begin to see the seriousness of this matter!

10 Likes

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by macof(m): 12:39am On Dec 02, 2013
So true ^^

But Many Christians still keep being deceived by their pastors
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Joagbaje(m): 8:24am On Dec 02, 2013
trustman:
So if you tithe, you are obligated to keep the whole law.

What of offering? Or do suggest we worship God without giving at all.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Candour(m): 9:41am On Dec 02, 2013
Joagbaje:

What of offering? Or do suggest we worship God without giving at all.

Be specific just as you're specific on tithes.

which of the offerings? burnt, peace, sin, heave, first fruits, passover, tabernacles etc?

be specific on the type you give to God today.

6 Likes

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by vickyO(f): 9:49am On Dec 02, 2013
Living translation
Matthew 23:23
"Yes, woe upon you, Pharisees, and you other religious leaders-hypocrites! For you tithe down to the last mint leaf in your garden, but ignore the important things-justice and mercy and faith. Yes, you should tithe, but you shouldn't leave the more important things undone."
Christ said we should tithe, and that's under the new covenant.

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 9:57am On Dec 02, 2013
vickyO: Living translation
"Yes, woe upon you, Pharisees, and you other religious leaders-hypocrites! For you tithe down to the last mint leaf in your garden, but ignore the important things-justice and mercy and faith. Yes, you should tithe, but you shouldn't leave the more important things undone."

No, you should not tithe grin

Btw, did you know that all the tithes mentioned here were food products and nothing to do with cash !

2 Likes

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by vickyO(f): 10:02am On Dec 02, 2013
frosbel:

No, you should not tithe grin

Btw, did you know that all the tithes mentioned here were food products and nothing to do with cash !
I don't farm, the only income I get is money. Yes, we should tithe. It's for the Kingdom's work. And the blessings of God concerning tithing still stands (if you want it).
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 10:21am On Dec 02, 2013
vickyO:
I don't farm, the only income I get is money. Yes, we should tithe. It's for the Kingdom's work. And the blessings of God concerning tithing still stands (if you want it).

You contradict yourself, one minute you say the law is abolished ( which includes the tithe by the way ) ,and the next minute you are preaching the law of tithe.

Which one is it, LAW or GRACE ?

And how can you say this tithe so called , is used for the Kingdoms work when 80% of the members of these clubs are dire need ?

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by vickyO(f): 10:48am On Dec 02, 2013
frosbel:

You contradict yourself, one minute you say the law is abolished ( which includes the tithe by the way ) ,and the next minute you are preaching the law of tithe.

Which one is it, LAW or GRACE ?

And how can you say this tithe so called , is used for the Kingdoms work when 80% of the members of these clubs are dire need ?
Christ said we should. I didn't say it, Christ said it.
That's why we should be beware of wolves in sheep clothing.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by macof(m): 10:56am On Dec 02, 2013
vickyO: Living translation

One question
Are u Jewish?
Because in the Bible, tithing is part of Jewish traditions as an African u have no business wit Jewish laws.

2 Likes

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by vickyO(f): 11:01am On Dec 02, 2013
macof:

One question
Are u Jewish?
Because in the Bible, tithing is part of Jewish traditions as an African u have no business wit Jewish laws.
I didn't quote from the Old Testament. Christ said we should.
Are you a Christian?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by macof(m): 12:19pm On Dec 02, 2013
vickyO:
I didn't quote from the Old Testament. Christ said we should.
Are you a Christian?
Jesus was Jew, and he was talking to Jews not Africans

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by vickyO(f): 12:27pm On Dec 02, 2013
macof:
smiley I hear you.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by texanomaly(f): 12:37pm On Dec 02, 2013
macof:
Obadiah777 would beg to differ here grin

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by vickyO(f): 12:40pm On Dec 02, 2013
texanomaly:

Yeah. cheesy

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 1:09pm On Dec 02, 2013
texanomaly:

lol you know it. where to start right ? ahhh let me hit them with one of the things that would happen to the jews

deuteronomy 28 vs 48 you will serve your enemies the LORD will send against you, in famine, thirst, unclothedness, and a lack of everything. He will place an iron yoke on your neck until He has destroyed you.

lamentations 4 vs 8 Their visage is blacker than a coal; <<< color of jews

song of solomon 1 vs 6 Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: << king solomon

point being the african is a jew. the west african negro that is
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by macof(m): 5:06pm On Dec 02, 2013
obadiah777: lol you know it. where to start right ? ahhh let me hit them with one of the things that would happen to the jews

deuteronomy 28 vs 48 you will serve your enemies the LORD will send against you, in famine, thirst, unclothedness, and a lack of everything. He will place an iron yoke on your neck until He has destroyed you.

lamentations 4 vs 8 Their visage is blacker than a coal; <<< color of jews

song of solomon 1 vs 6 Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: << king solomon

point being the african is a jew. the west african negro that is

maybe ur family is Jew but don't generalize wat u don't know
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by fredx4(m): 6:02pm On Dec 02, 2013
I think it is good to give tithe, cos it means you are honoring God with 10% of your income but it shouldn't be done out of necessity. Some people take it to the extreme by saying you will go to hell or God will not bless you if you don't give your tithe which is false doctrine( preaching the law in a dispensation of grace). But on the other hand tithe is what is used to take care of the church and the ministers. So if you receive spiritual gifts and blessings from God through the church it shouldn't be too difficult for you to give God 10% of your income.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by vickyO(f): 6:28pm On Dec 02, 2013
fredx4: I think it is good to give tithe, cos it means you are honoring God with 10% of your income but it shouldn't be done out of necessity. Some people take it to the extreme by saying you will go to hell or God will not bless you if you don't give your tithe which is false doctrine( preaching the law in a dispensation of grace). But on the other hand tithe is what is used to take care of the church and the ministers. So if you receive spiritual gifts and blessings from God through the church it shouldn't be too difficult for you to give God 10% of your income.
You are really blessed.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by fredx4(m): 6:54pm On Dec 02, 2013
vickyO:
You are really blessed.
Thank you

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by vickyO(f): 6:56pm On Dec 02, 2013
fredx4:
Thank you
wink......IT'S WHAT YOU ARE.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 10:30pm On Dec 02, 2013
vickyO:
Christ said we should. I didn't say it, Christ said it.

Now you are twisting the words of Jesus.

Jesus never said his followers should tithe.

Can you show us where Jesus said we should tithe or Paul or Peter etc.

That's why we should be beware of wolves in sheep clothing.

The wolves are the fake Nigerian MOG in the pulpit appearing as sheep but full of covetousness .
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by trustman: 10:52pm On Dec 02, 2013
The Bible settled this issue in Acts 15:
It seemed good to the Holy Spirit [/b]and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements: You are to abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality. You will do well to avoid these things. Farewell (vv. 28-29)

The Christian way of life is unique and different from what the JEWS had. It was a ‘mystery’ to believers of previous times including Israel – Rom.16:25, 1 Cor. 2:7, Eph. 1:9, 3:3, 3:6, 3:9, Col. 1:26, etc . Any [b]significant
thing required of the Christian will be found in the New Testament epistles which constitute the blueprint for living the Christian life.

The prescription for the way of life for believers in other dispensations is unquestionably not the same for Christians under the dispensation of the church age. The same God, yes. Certain similar principles, yes. But quite a different system for living and administering the spiritual life. That a practice is in the Bible does not necessarily recommend it to be used or practiced by the Christian. The Christian must rightly divide whether such a practice is for him or not under the new Covenant. For example, the Bible, in the Old Testament has requirements for animal sacrifices and so on. Would anyone therefore justify animal sacrifice today simply on the basis that it is in the Bible?

Peter’s words: “Brothers … … Now then, why do you try to test God by putting on the necks of the disciples a yoke that neither we nor our fathers have been able to bear? We believe it is through the grace of our Lord Jesus that we are saved (and will get to heaven, and not through any practice such as tithing, firstfruits, etc – emphasis mine), just as they are.” Acts 15: 10-11.

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Joagbaje(m): 8:01am On Dec 03, 2013
Candour:

Be specific just as you're specific on tithes.

which of the offerings? burnt, peace, sin, heave, first fruits, passover, tabernacles etc?

be specific on the type you give to God today.

Free will offering
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Joagbaje(m): 8:03am On Dec 03, 2013
macof:

One question
Are u Jewish?

Was Abraham a Jew ? He was a tither and our father of faith .
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Joagbaje(m): 8:07am On Dec 03, 2013
macof:

Galatians 3:28
We are no longer Jews or Greeks or slaves or free men or even merely men or women, but we are all the same-- we are Christians; we are one in Christ Jesus.

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by vickyO(f): 8:19am On Dec 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

Correct.
Joagbaje:

Galatians 3:28
We are no longer Jews or Greeks or slaves or free men or even merely men or women, but we are all the same-- we are Christians; we are one in Christ Jesus.
My brother, God bless you.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by macof(m): 8:56am On Dec 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

Is Abraham one of ur ancestors?

And to ur question- Abraham is an ancestor of the Jews. He was referred to as an Hebrew in Canaanland.
Hebrew- "Ivri" in Hebrew bible meaning "other side" signifying Abraham was from the other side(a foreigner from Mesopotamia)
All Hebrews began to be called Jews sometime ago, so yes Abraham was a Jew

Yet Abraham didn't pay tithe to Yahweh but El Elyon(God most high) for delivering his enemies to him in battle.
Abraham tithed not as a law but out of appreciation to Elyon.

So Africans have no business with Tithing to Yahweh

Pastors these days threaten Christians to pay tithe as if they are obligated to
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 9:06am On Dec 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

Abraham tithed once from war booty. He did not tithe from his personal wealth.

It is not recorded that he tithed after this one event.

You are deceived on this topic because you intentionally choose to be.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Joagbaje(m): 9:27am On Dec 03, 2013
macof:
Is Abraham one of ur ancestors?

Romans 4:16
Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,

And to ur question- Abraham is an ancestor of the Jews. He was referred to as an Hebrew in Canaanland.

Abraham was a Hebrew but was not a Jew .

Hebrew- "Ivri" in Hebrew bible meaning "other side" signifying Abraham was from the other side(a foreigner from Mesopotamia)
All Hebrews began to be called Jews sometime ago, so yes Abraham was a Jew

Hebrews are children of Eber . That's where the name came from while Jews are children of Jacob .

Yet Abraham didn't pay tithe to Yahweh but El Elyon(God most high) for delivering his enemies to him in battle.
Abraham tithed not as a law but out of appreciation to Elyon.

Tithing is a principle in the kingdom of God. As well as offerings , fasting ,worship , alms giving etc. such kingdom principles are forever .

So Africans have no business with Tithing to Yahweh

You could as well say Africans need no God grin

Pastors these days threaten Christians to pay tithe as if they are obligated to

Nobody need threaten anybody. Just tell the people the benefit attached to spiritual principles . Besides what is a threat? if I tell you the consequence of lack of prayer is that a threat ? If I tell you the consequence of not helping the poor is that a threat ?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Candour(m): 9:35am On Dec 03, 2013
Joagbaje:

Free will offering

Good you mentioned freewill offering.

It's freewill therefore i can choose to do or not to do and i also determine proportion if i choose to do. There was no punishment for not doing it under the old covenant so imagine the freedom under the new.

You can't put Tithes and freewill offering in the same boat because if you do, Tithing becomes freewill with no consequence for not doing it or freewill offering becomes a command, ordinance or a law.

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 03, 2013
You van decide to give God a tithe of all youyou possess, it ddoesn't mean you are obliged to kkeep all laws.. the only problem is if you want to be saved by the law, then you must keep all to be saved

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Chris Kwakpovwe To Run 50000 Kilometres This Year / Pope Bans Cigarettes Sales In Vatican / Submit Your 2013 Prayer Request To TB Joshua Via Facebook!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.