Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,162 members, 7,825,636 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 07:29 PM

If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! - Religion (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! (13370 Views)

Stop Financing Pastor's Extravagant Lifestyle With Your Tithe! / Do I Need To Pay Tithe Form My Gamble Wins? / God Is Obligated To Keep The World Rotating Because If He Doesn't,... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 7:21am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam: You are the one being dishonest here, i never said Paul preached Moses.What book were they using to preach from?

So who taught Christians to follow and adhere to OT instructions in the synangogues? Was it the pharisees? Your post below is what is hunting you smiley why not say it was blunder so we can forget it?

Bidam:
Funny the NT wasn't even compiled until 30 AD or so..so which instructions did you think the Christians were following and adhering to in synangogues? Ofcos the OT

don't forget to provide scripture showing Christians listening to moses being preached in the synangogue smiley
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 7:34am On Dec 15, 2013
[quote author=Zikkyy]

You are the one posting error here.
Nope you are.
Paul believed all things which are written in the law and in the prophets. That is not saying he taught gentiles to follow and adhere to OT instructions. The Acts 26 verse you quoted stated clearly all that Paul taught regarding the law and prophets......
Can you just listen to yourself? How would someone believe something and does not teach it? Does it make common sense?

19 “So then, King Agrippa, I was not disobedient to the vision from heaven. 20 First to those in Damascus, then to those in Jerusalem and in all Judea, and then to the Gentiles, I preached that they should repent and turn to God and demonstrate their repentance by their deeds. 21 That is why some Jews seized me in the temple courts and tried to kill me. 22 But God has helped me to this very day; so I stand here and testify to small and great alike. I am saying nothing beyond what the prophets and Moses said would happen— 23 that the Messiah would suffer and, as the first to rise from the dead, would bring the message of light to his own people and to the Gentiles.”

Paul preached Christ only. He did not teach that Christians should tithe or pay first fruit.
Yes Paul preached Christ and i never disputed that here and he also taught so many moral and ethical issues.The scripture is full of them. I can cite an example where he quoted the mosaic law(which peeps like you are kicking against, though i don't know or understand why ) for instance to validate tithes and offerings.

1 CORINTHIANS 9:7-11 (Paul)
7 Who goes to war any time at his own expense? who plants a vineyard, and does not eat of the fruit of it? or who feeds a flock, and does not drink of the milk of the flock?
8 Do I say these things as a man? or does not the law say the same also?
9 For it is written in the law of Moses, You shall not muzzle the mouth of the ox who treads out the corn. Does God take care for oxen?
10 Or does he say it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he who ploughs should plough in hope; and that he who threshes in hope should be a partaker of his hope.
11 If we have sown to you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 7:39am On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

You are attempting to hang yourself. the verse you quoting says Paul tried convincing his guest "about Jesus from Moses’ Teachings and the Prophets". For Paul and the other apostles, it was always about Jesus. Nothing to do with teaching peeps to tithe.
You are trying to fool yourself if you think Paul manufactured a torah out of no where. The bible is never the quran. I never said Paul didn't preach Jesus. Did Jesus ABOLISH THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 7:39am On Dec 15, 2013
shdemidemi:
We do not need a morally good character achieved by observing one form of law or the other, what we need is a TRANSLATION, RENDITION AND CONVERSION through our relationship with Christ.

this is something lovers of the law will never understand.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 7:42am On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

Why not? Internet can be used for por.n or even teach/advertise smoking and other vices. so, since use of internet is not scriptural, does that make it a sin?

It depends on what you smoking and/or how you smoke.
Internet can also be use for good like we are doing now sharing God's word.So can smoking be used for good? MENTION SOME OF THE GOOD DERIVE FROM SMOKING.We might learn a thing or two. grin
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 7:49am On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

So who taught Christians to follow and adhere to OT instructions in the synangogues? Was it the pharisees? Your post below is what is hunting you smiley why not say it was blunder so we can forget it?

Nope, you twisting what i said is what is hunting you.

don't forget to provide scripture showing Christians listening to moses being preached in the synangogue smiley

I think i wasted time and energy littering this particular thread with so many scriptures. Too bad you are blind you can"t seem to see them. cheesy
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by shdemidemi(m): 7:50am On Dec 15, 2013
Acts 18:24

"And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria (in Egypt), an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus."

Acts 18:25

"This man (Apollos, a Jew) was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

Remember there is not a New Testament yet at the time. So the Scripture Apollos was mighty in is The Old Testament. Apollos knew nothing of believing for salvation in Christ's death, burial, and Resurrection. He was still back in Christ's earthly ministry.

A couple named Aquila and Priscilla had met with Paul. They had heard Apollos teaching in the Synagogue, Apollos knew nothing about how everything that man needed for Salvation was accomplished on the Cross, and in the power of Christ's Resurrection.

Acts 18:26

"And he (Apollos) began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard (they sat and listened to him), they took him unto them (probably took him home for dinner after the service), and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly (or more completely)."

Acts 18:27,28

"And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who (Apollos), when he was come, helped them much which had believed (not through John's message but rather) through grace:" And where did he pick it up from? Aquila and Priscilla. Where did they get it? From working with Paul.

"For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ."
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 8:01am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam:
Can you just listen to yourself? How would someone believe something and does not teach it? Does it make common sense?

Teach in what sense?

What does it mean to believe? Is it saying that one accept something as true? Accepting an activity or event or instruction as true does translate to one performing that same activity. If we believed what the prophets wrote regarding an event or events to happen in future, we are saying we accept as true everything written by the prophets regarding that event. Application is not automatic, it depends on what you believe. If I believe (accept as true) that God institute tithing for the Israelites that is not saying I should also teach that Christians must tithe as well. It depends on what you believe and how you interpret what you believe.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 8:08am On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

this is something lovers of the law will never understand.
I quite understand that lawless advocate even more than you sef. Why not ask him what effect and proofs his gospel has achieved in winning souls to God.No wonder gays,lesbians are the ones sitting in pews in london churches these days. If Christ is our righteousness like i always ask him,should we fold our arms and go to sleep? It also involves the active participation of the vessel.Lawlessness is part of our make up until the flesh dies don't kid yourself.You put the flesh to death daily because the flesh doesn't die.

The only time flesh dies is when you are dead and long gone.So for now we actively participate in kingdom principles and dynamics and one of them is tithing which is even the least of my priorities anyway. cool

When falsehoods like yours and the Op is propagated i don't just sit and watch, i say it as it is. cool
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by shdemidemi(m): 8:13am On Dec 15, 2013
Although, Paul had vast knowledge about Judaism through teachings, he was not taught about the gospel of Christ by any man.

Galatians 1:11,12

"But I certify (I guarantee) you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man (in other words, he didn't go to school or seminary some place and learn it). For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the (instruction? No, but rather the) revelation of Jesus Christ."

Paul seldomly used his knowledge of the law and the old testament to validate the gospel of Christ he presented.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 8:20am On Dec 15, 2013
shdemidemi: Acts 18:24

"And a certain Jew named Apollos, born at Alexandria (in Egypt), an eloquent man, and mighty in the scriptures, came to Ephesus."

Acts 18:25

"This man (Apollos, a Jew) was instructed in the way of the Lord; and being fervent in the spirit, he spake and taught diligently the things of the Lord, knowing only the baptism of John.

Remember there is not a New Testament yet at the time. So the Scripture Apollos was mighty in is The Old Testament. Apollos knew nothing of believing for salvation in Christ's death, burial, and Resurrection. He was still back in Christ's earthly ministry.

A couple named Aquila and Priscilla had met with Paul. They had heard Apollos teaching in the Synagogue, Apollos knew nothing about how everything that man needed for Salvation was accomplished on the Cross, and in the power of Christ's Resurrection.

Acts 18:26

"And he (Apollos) began to speak boldly in the synagogue: whom when Aquila and Priscilla had heard (they sat and listened to him), they took him unto them (probably took him home for dinner after the service), and expounded unto him the way of God more perfectly (or more completely)."

Acts 18:27,28

"And when he was disposed to pass into Achaia, the brethren wrote, exhorting the disciples to receive him: who (Apollos), when he was come, helped them much which had believed (not through John's message but rather) through grace:" And where did he pick it up from? Aquila and Priscilla. Where did they get it? From working with Paul.

"For he mightily convinced the Jews, and that publicly, shewing by the scriptures that Jesus was Christ."
The bolded are lies, Apollos was well aware of Jesus. John taught about Jesus.Even John disciples left John and became Jesus disciples.So to say Apollos wasn't aware of the death, burial and ressurection of Jesus is actually falsehood. He Taught Jesus from the OT scriptures.

The only thing he wasn't aware of was the Holy Ghost baptism, just like those disciples Paul encountered on his way to Ephesus.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 8:28am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam:
he also taught so many moral and ethical issues.The scripture is full of them. I can cite an example where he quoted the mosaic law(which peeps like you are kicking against, though i don't know or understand why  )

You are seriously overworking ya self in attempt to give zikkyy a bad name. Reading ma post should tell you if am kicking against the mosaic law or not.

Bidam:
Yes Paul preached Christ and i never disputed that here and he also taught so many moral and ethical issues.The scripture is full of them. I can cite an example where he 
quoted the mosaic law(which peeps like you are kicking against, though i don't know or understand why  ) for instance to validate tithes and offerings.
1 CORINTHIANS 9:7-11 (Paul)

1 Cor not teaching tithe and offering. The verse talks about working with the expectation of also deriving some benefits. The form or nature of benefit was never the focus. It has nothing to do with tithe.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by shdemidemi(m): 8:34am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam: The bolded are lies, Apollos was well aware of Jesus. John taught about Jesus.Even John disciples left John and became Jesus disciples.So to say Apollos wasn't aware of the death, burial and ressurection of Jesus is actually falsehood. He Taught Jesus from the OT scriptures.

The only thing he wasn't aware of was the Holy Ghost baptism, just like those disciples Paul encountered on his way to Ephesus.

1)Please show us through scriptures that Apollos knew the significance of the death burial and Resurrection of Christ before he was shown by this couple.

2)please show us where the scripture says he was shown or put in the known about the Holy Ghost Baptism.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 8:34am On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

Teach in what sense?
Paul taught in principle. I thought i showed you Rom 12 :1 since offerings were abolished..while would Paul encourage to offer ourselves as sacrifices unto God?
What does it mean to believe? Is it saying that one accept something as true? Accepting an activity or event or instruction as true does translate to one performing that same activity. If we believed what the prophets wrote regarding an event or events to happen in future, we are saying we accept as true everything written by the prophets regarding that event. Application is not automatic, it depends on what you believe. If I believe (accept as true) that God institute tithing for the Israelite that is not saying I should also teach that Christians must tithe as well. It depends on what you believe and how you interpret what you believe.
Teaching validates beliefs, and that is what scripture refers to as doctrines. Sound doctrine refers to every instruction,teaching and training that emphasizes the values, principles,standard,ways and lifestyle of the Kingdom of God as reflected in the word(bible).

Paul says to imitate him as he(Paul) imitates Christ. Christ taught on tithes in Mathew, so also Paul in Corinthians i quoted and Hebrews. So for you to say tithing should not be taught as a doctrine is falsehood because scripture is littered with the word tithe.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 8:36am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam:
Did Jesus ABOLISH THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS?

only if you understand what it means to abolish. You blinded by ya the desire to 'hammer' from the act of tithing, first fruit offering and seed sowing. Thats why you have difficulty understaning the post below.

shdemidemi:
We do not need a morally good character achieved by observing one form of law or the other, what we need is a TRANSLATION, RENDITION AND CONVERSION through our relationship with Christ.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 8:39am On Dec 15, 2013
shdemidemi:

1)Please show us through scriptures that Apollos knew the significance of the death burial and Resurrection of Christ before he was shown by this couple.
The scripture you quoted did show it..or are you blind?

2)please show us where the scripture says he was shown or put in the known about the Holy Ghost Baptism.
I am getting ready for church, find out how many were baptized in the Holy Ghost in the acts of apostle. That should give you something to do for a while. cheesy
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 8:44am On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

only if you understand what it means to abolish. You blinded by ya the desire to 'hammer' from the act of tithing, first fruit offering and seed sowing. Thats why you have difficulty understaning the post below.

ewoooh!!!!una no go kill me for here. The abolishment scripture was referring to is old testament books o. Should we as christian discard them and not glean principles from them like trustman is advocating here? That is my bone of contention.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by shdemidemi(m): 8:46am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam: The scripture you quoted did show it..or are you blind?

I am getting ready for church, find out how many were baptized in the Holy Ghost in the acts of apostle. That should give you something to do for a while. cheesy

Typical Bidam.... ambiguous answers at crossroads.

There are more LIES in the Church today than TRUTH; for the opposite of rightly handling and dispensing the TRUTH is to CORRUPT the Word of God....Beware of the Postmodern/Emergent preachers…

#preachthegoodnewsnotgoodadvice
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by shdemidemi(m): 8:52am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam: ewoooh!!!!una no go kill me for here. The abolishment scripture was referring to is old testament books o. Should we as christian discard them and not glean principles from them like trustman is advocating here? That is my bone of contention.

what does Romans 7:4 mean to you

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ;....
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 9:02am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam:
Paul says to imitate him as he(Paul) imitates Christ. Christ taught on tithes in Mathew,

did Christ pay or receive tithe? If he did not, what did he teach concerning tithe? It is not enough to say Christ taught tithe therefore I must tithe. You must understand the message. Christ taught the complete law of Moses (including burnt offerings) in Mathew when he told the crowd to pay attention to what the pharisees tell them and also to ensure they do it. So how come you are not presenting burnt offering since Christ taught burnt offering?

Bidam:
Paul says to imitate him as he(Paul) imitates Christ. Christ taught on tithes in Mathew,

So what are you imitating in Paul? did paul pay or collected tithe?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by trustman: 9:10am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam: The levitical office and sacrifices were abolished when Jesus went to the cross.The laws, statutes, and regulations of the Old Testament always need to be understood through the light of the New Testament.

So you admit here that some aspects of the Law were abolished. Right?

Then why is it hard for you to see what we have been telling you. No Christian is at liberty to pick and choose what he wants or think is abolished from the Law. Scripture alone and the New Testament epistles in particular should be our guide.

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 9:16am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam:
So for you to say tithing should not be taught as a doctrine is falsehood because scripture is littered with the word tithe.

you don't teach tithe as doctrine because scripture is littered with word tithe. You people should learn to give sound justification for ya tithing practice na. Scripture is also litterd with the word burnt offering, why are you not burning ya sacrifice?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Zikkyy(m): 9:21am On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam: ewoooh!!!!una no go kill me for here. The abolishment scripture was referring to is old testament books o. Should we as christian discard them and not glean principles from them like trustman is advocating here? That is my bone of contention.

who told you old testament books been abolished? This is clear evidence that you've not been reading our posts.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by DrummaBoy(m): 11:24am On Dec 15, 2013
You guys need to appreciate Bidam's challenge here. Someone had taught him and his clique a lie saying that Moses' laws are divided into MORAL, CIVIL and CEREMONIAL laws. While the other two remains, the ceremonial is abolished. Burnt offerings will come under ceremonial laws. Tithes will come under civil. Adultery, stealing, etc, will come under moral.

He has however refused to understand that this demonic division of God's law is nowhere written in the whole bible. LAW IS LAW. if the NT says the law is abolished it includes all three regardless of how much they are subdivided. A new law Chist has given us - the law to love; simple and not complicated. All the other laws are fulfilled in that law. Time will not allow me to discuss it here at length but I refer you to Mark Miwerds Rebuttal R3 on the tithe discuss https://www.nairaland.com/1548047/theological-discuss-tithing-rhymeyjohn-image123/4#20229237 ; he did justice to it there.

1 Like

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 2:42pm On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

You are seriously overworking ya self in attempt to give zikkyy a bad name. Reading ma post should tell you if am kicking against the mosaic law or not.
O yes..that's what you inferred or implied.

1 Cor not teaching tithe and offering. The verse talks about working with the expectation of also deriving some benefits. The form or nature of benefit was never the focus. It has nothing to do with tithe.
O yes it did, Paul wouldn't have gone to so much trouble in quoting Deuteronomy and Leviticus in that verse of scripture. Because he didn't put the word tithe doesn't mean he did not infer or implied it.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 2:45pm On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

You blinded by ya the desire to 'hammer' from the act of tithing, first fruit offering and seed sowing.

I have a secular job,if i advocate all this givings, it's for the benefit of the church not me of cos.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by PastorKun(m): 2:59pm On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam: I have a secular job,if i advocate all this givings, it's for the benefit of the church not me of cos.

Your secular job might be church administration in a tithe collecting church. Thus your salary would be dependent on tithe collections which explains your interest.

2 Likes

Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 3:00pm On Dec 15, 2013
shdemidemi:

Typical Bidam.... ambiguous answers at crossroads.

There are more LIES in the Church today than TRUTH; for the opposite of rightly handling and dispensing the TRUTH is to CORRUPT the Word of God....Beware of the Postmodern/Emergent preachers…

#preachthegoodnewsnotgoodadvice
Your lack of study is showing...Apollos was a Jew, he might probably had been instructed about the way of the Lord by Jesus disciples because scripture records he taught about Jesus accurately. That means he was well aware of the death, Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus..Now the problem is he only knew about John baptism which is water baptism.
Priscilla and Aquila were well aware of the Holy Ghost baptism because PAUL STAYED WITH THEM FOR A YEAR AND HALF TEACHING THEM.
All this took place in corinth were Apollos was. Or how do you reconcile the fact that chapter 12,13,14 of 1 Corinthians talks about spiritual gifts? It is the Holy Spirit that gives gift not Paul.
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 3:06pm On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

who told you old testament books been abolished? This is clear evidence that you've not been reading our posts.
These replies by your advocate are clear indications that we should discard old testament books na.

trustman:

Then why is it hard for you to see what we have been telling you. No Christian is at liberty to pick and choose what he wants or think is abolished from the Law. Scripture alone and the New Testament epistles in particular should be our guide.

shdemidemi:

what does Romans 7:4 mean to you

4 Wherefore, my brethren, ye also are become dead to the law by the body of Christ;....
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 3:17pm On Dec 15, 2013
Zikkyy:

you don't teach tithe as doctrine because scripture is littered with word tithe. You people should learn to give sound justification for ya tithing practice na. Scripture is also litterd with the word burnt offering, why are you not burning ya sacrifice?
And who says offering is not taught in principles? You give offerings in your local assembly don't you? The question is if you give offerings in church why not tithe also?
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by Nobody: 3:20pm On Dec 15, 2013
Pastor Kun:

Your secular job might be church administration in a tithe collecting church. Thus your salary would be dependent on tithe collections which explains your interest.
My secular job is not church administration...sorry tongue
Re: If You Tithe, You Are Obligated To Keep The Whole Law! by trustman: 3:35pm On Dec 15, 2013
Bidam: The levitical office and sacrifices were abolished when Jesus went to the cross.The laws, statutes, and regulations of the Old Testament always need to be understood through the light of the New Testament.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (16) (Reply)

Traditional Wedding Or White Wedding? / Pope Bans Cigarettes Sales In Vatican / Why Do Christians Bow To Armed Robbers?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.