Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,766 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:44 PM

Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination (17668 Views)

Onitsha Port: Anambra Shippers Task FG / Onitsha Port Set Ahead Of Commissioning By FG Next Month / Onitsha Port Ready For Operation-fg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 08, 2013
ujoinme:

like i said its a silly plan with no freight links to the inland port of onitsha there are no good road linking the ports, no rail, and 2 airport with runways that are not built to receive jumbo planes that are used for optimal cargo transportation.

At the present situation surrounding the onitsha inland port the your plans cannot work except you are planning mediocre service utilization of the port.

until the basic infrastructures that i had listed ie (Roads wide enough for container transport, rail, cargo friendly airport and or deep seaport/depth non deficient seaport) earlier are upgraded the viability of that the onitsha port will remain questionable.
My first Question is have you ever visited Onitsha?
How did you know that the National dual express road ways I mentioned are not wide enough for containers

Second question is did you read my post. Did you hear the words ship to ship transfers?

Third Question what in the world is the connection between a cargo airport and a shipping port, one can do without the order.

Do a proper study before making your conclusions.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by plaindealer: 8:32pm On Dec 08, 2013
lastpage:

Yea....
Let them "destinate" to Onitsha Port.... and then they will need to Truck the goods BY ROAD to their Stalls at Alaba, Idumota, Aspamda and Ladipo! shocked shocked shocked

This Lagos must crash, by fire by force! kiss kiss

I honestly swear, these "jews" are the "smartest thing" God created!
grin grin grin

Lastpage!

They are big on emotions and dangerously short on common sense ...

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by ujoinme: 8:34pm On Dec 08, 2013
KenGali:
My first Question is have you ever visited Onitsha?
How did you know that the National double lane express road ways I mentioned are not wide enough for containers

Second question is did you read my post. Did you hear the words ship to ship transfers?

Third Question what in the world is the connection between a cargo airport and a shipping port, one can do without the order.

Do a proper study before making your conclusions.

If you cant see the connection btw the bolded with regards to an inland port, then its needless having this conversation with you. The cost of setting up an STS is akin to the cost of a deep seaport and the nigerian customs/port authority will not build anything that is not under their jurisdiction since they will not be able to tax it/regulate its activity.
And for your information i am rooting for the onitsha port to work and all the other port in the country to be functional for that's the key for an economic growth in the country. But i am realistic with the situations on ground.Bye

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by burberry89(m): 8:40pm On Dec 08, 2013
phantom: and how many people exactly do you think can afford the original goods? If you think 'made in taiwan' goods are imported by igbos because they enjoy importing such, then, no offence you are ignorant.

Hmmmm, my frnd av u forgotten that wat made pple buy the cheaper products is because ur IGBO brothers has made pple loose their trust in paying big for original product by flooding the market wit made in taiwan which is a replica of the original product. So pple nw say all na Taiwan cos it difficult to identify the orignal product. If nigerians cnt afford the original product y are we still having LG shops, thermocool shops stores dat sell the original product in town
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by superstar1(m): 8:42pm On Dec 08, 2013
KenGali: Guys,
Lets talk a bit more about how to go about Achieving this.
The Federal Government has done all it should apart from the international Status Gazette. Which I think we can easily convince GEJ to grant to us.
Beyond this I think am very Happy that the Association of shippers has woken up. They need to take over the concession for us to be able to make this work.

I suggest that the Anambra State Government, should work with this Association to float a Shipping or Port Operations company company that will be aggressive in taking over the concession from the Federal Government. Of course at very minimal cost since it has to develope the commercial activity at the port.

Secondly, we do not really need to dredge the River Niger to ocean depths of like 12ft drafts to have a viable port. A lot of commercial shipping has been developed on the Mississippi and is quite successful and we can learn from them. The cost of Dredging up to 12ft from the current 5ft could as well establish a shipping line for us.

Effectively what we need is a Ship to Ship(STS) transfer centre.This is where cargo from the mother ship will be quickly transferred to barges then brought inland. I have spoken about this and given it some thought severally in the past. There are two options really. Having the STS on shore or in the Middle of the Ocean.

Shore STS will have a lot of issues
with custom,
the shore line state to host it,
the Navy,
possible smuggling.
Delays in the ship turn around time due to the legal clearance requires before a foreign vessel can berth on land
It will be like moving goods from another port, and partly defeats the aim of the quest to Onitsha port.

On the Contrary an STS centre in the middle of the ocean
Will benefit ships in quick turn around time, as the water depth in ocean will allow easy movement
this will require having an adequate number of deck barges and ocean going tuggers to empty the Ship in good time
It can be in international waters, where vessels will not require any clearance from Nigerian Govt. but will be wary of piracy
It is best located within Nigerian Waters, we can lobby for a permanent Naval Presence, for vessel clearance
Mother Vessels will have no need to talk to Nigerian customs, Immigration, etc whatsoever, except the Naval Clearance.

Further
A Ship to Ship transfer can be done in the middle of the ocean without any infrastructure. The Challenge is keeping the vessels steady, which will depend on having calm waters. This will not be reliable for serious commercial operation. However this approach can be used for start off. For the long term, I think the best solution is to buy a decommission oil platform or a very large Vessel and find shallower points in the ocean or stubble islands to mount it. Shipping vessels can be gently anchor to such a structure using a pull in mechanism. That is a lot of Engineering though. But companies like Saipem in Nigeria can accomplish it. This does not rule out further dredging the Niger to 12 ft and above, but leaves it for the future when it will be justified by commercial expediency.

Overall, the Company to be formed by Anambra State Govt, and the the Shiping Association should issue IPO to raise funds. They will need to acquire Deck Barges, I checked online and see some used ones that go for about $500,000.00. Secondly they need to seed the route with about two or three Medium Sized Cargo Ships. I think they can do a time charter of some international vessel and place them on the route to say China, Germany and Singapore for about six months. But we already know the business is not already existing but we must build it up hence I prefer an outright buy of two or three vessels. I think they can get fairly used vessels for about $10,000,000.00 that is roughly N1.6 billion each (Consider that Peter Obi is leaving some N20Billion in coffers). Each vessel doing a round trip a month will be quite adequate for a start. An the STS can be done in open seas. Lets not forget gun boats for security. I think I omitted the price of tuggers, they should cost almost same as the barges or more. It will not be a good idea to use articulated barges.

This will create some good jobs for Anambrarian youths. the ships and barges will be requiring crews. So the state government won't do badly thinking of a maritime shipping school now.

Decker Barge
Barges for Sale
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/728129560/DWT_1000t_2000t_3000t_4000t_5000t.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/859834950/High_quality_deck_cargo_barge.html
Ships for sale
http://www.maritimesales.com/ships%20for%20sale.htm

You are the only sensible Igbo on NL I have respect for, because of your thought pattern, presentation of your thoughts and how logical factual and realistic you have always been. You are highly cerebral.

All those other ones that just argue for tribal and sentimental argument sake are the ones that make SE the laughing stock of the country.

Once again, RESPECT.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by burberry89(m): 8:49pm On Dec 08, 2013
mystical10: apart from lagos tht developd by nigerians tell me other states in yoruba land thats developd than states in SE.yorubas dn travel, they can stay over 30 40yrs in SW witout trvlin to other parts even overseas.traveling is part of education. Tx to nysc if nt sm yorubas mght nt knw state called kastina.

You see that's wat we r saying that's why most of ur states in SE is having just the sate capital and one big town to show and others are villages wit no good roads cos the ones who are supposed to develop ur states av traveled to SW north or abroad. We yoruba dnt just travel.
That's y u will an IGBO man wit his wife n children leaving his state and coming to one village in ur so called undeveloped SW to become a palm wine tapper or a laborer. Or av u seen a yoruba man leaving osun, oyo, ogun or ekiti to go n do abaro(laborer) in any part of the country?
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by fkaz(m): 9:09pm On Dec 08, 2013
KenGali:

Guy na wah you. Why will Onitsha port not function if the the large stock of traders patronise it. The other ports you mention have there own peculiar challenges. They are not major commercial centers. While I wish them well, I see no reason to York them to Onitsha. There respective states can come up with ideas and make effort for their development. Further, success of our ideas for Onitsha, will make it easy to extended shipping to these places in the future.

I know most ibo import through lagos from atlantic ocean and onitsha importers has to load it into barges for onward delivery to ontsha port, but it has to go through koko port in benin and lokoja port before getting to onitsha. So if those two port are not functioning how will onitsha port function? Also how would you supply the north-east you claim onitsha market do supply, if baro port in niger state is not function. All this port are link together through the plan of FG and onitsha port can't be single out. I think, one thing standing against those river port is the maintenance of the river channel, which FG can never sustain, so i see onitsha port as a mirage. I stand to be corrected sha.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by russellino: 9:14pm On Dec 08, 2013
burberry89:

Or av u seen a yoruba man leaving osun, oyo, ogun or ekiti to go n do abaro(laborer) in any part of the country?

You need to travel out of the SW for once

3 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by MrEverest(m): 9:36pm On Dec 08, 2013
ngozievergreen:
the point is not the war, it is what happened after the war

Ngozi please ignore that buffoon, its obvious he is trying to distract us from finding a panacea to the present idle Onitsha port, already they are scared of that. Kudos to kengali et al with their informed research. We Igbos have never lacked intellectuals and Onitsha port must be put to optimal use!

2 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by MrEverest(m): 9:46pm On Dec 08, 2013
fkaz:

I know most ibo import through lagos from atlantic ocean and onitsha importers has to load it into barges for onward delivery to ontsha port, but it has to go through koko port in benin and lokoja port before getting to onitsha. So if those two port are not functioning how will onitsha port function? Also how would you supply the north-east you claim onitsha market do supply, if baro port in niger state is not function. All this port are link together through the plan of FG and onitsha port can't be single out. I think, one thing standing against those river port is the maintenance of the river channel, which FG can never sustain, so i see onitsha port as a mirage. I stand to be corrected sha.

This part alone renders your article useless, please pick up an atlas and know where Lokoja port is located viz a viz Onitsha port, until you do that please don't comment again, thank you!

4 Likes

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 6:58am On Dec 09, 2013
KenGali: Guys,
Lets talk a bit more about how to go about Achieving this.
The Federal Government has done all it should apart from the international Status Gazette. Which I think we can easily convince GEJ to grant to us.
Beyond this I think am very Happy that the Association of shippers has woken up. They need to take over the concession for us to be able to make this work.

I suggest that the Anambra State Government, should work with this Association to float a Shipping or Port Operations company company that will be aggressive in taking over the concession from the Federal Government. Of course at very minimal cost since it has to develope the commercial activity at the port.

Secondly, we do not really need to dredge the River Niger to ocean depths of like 12ft drafts to have a viable port. A lot of commercial shipping has been developed on the Mississippi and is quite successful and we can learn from them. The cost of Dredging up to 12ft from the current 5ft could as well establish a shipping line for us.

Effectively what we need is a Ship to Ship(STS) transfer centre.This is where cargo from the mother ship will be quickly transferred to barges then brought inland. I have spoken about this and given it some thought severally in the past. There are two options really. Having the STS on shore or in the Middle of the Ocean.

Shore STS will have a lot of issues
with custom,
the shore line state to host it,
the Navy,
possible smuggling.
Delays in the ship turn around time due to the legal clearance requires before a foreign vessel can berth on land
It will be like moving goods from another port, and partly defeats the aim of the quest to Onitsha port.

On the Contrary an STS centre in the middle of the ocean
Will benefit ships in quick turn around time, as the water depth in ocean will allow easy movement
this will require having an adequate number of deck barges and ocean going tuggers to empty the Ship in good time
It can be in international waters, where vessels will not require any clearance from Nigerian Govt. but will be wary of piracy
It is best located within Nigerian Waters, we can lobby for a permanent Naval Presence, for vessel clearance
Mother Vessels will have no need to talk to Nigerian customs, Immigration, etc whatsoever, except the Naval Clearance.

Further
A Ship to Ship transfer can be done in the middle of the ocean without any infrastructure. The Challenge is keeping the vessels steady, which will depend on having calm waters. This will not be reliable for serious commercial operation. However this approach can be used for start off. For the long term, I think the best solution is to buy a decommission oil platform or a very large Vessel and find shallower points in the ocean or stubble islands to mount it. Shipping vessels can be gently anchor to such a structure using a pull in mechanism. That is a lot of Engineering though. But companies like Saipem in Nigeria can accomplish it. This does not rule out further dredging the Niger to 12 ft and above, but leaves it for the future when it will be justified by commercial expediency.

Overall, the Company to be formed by Anambra State Govt, and the the Shiping Association should issue IPO to raise funds. They will need to acquire Deck Barges, I checked online and see some used ones that go for about $500,000.00. Secondly they need to seed the route with about two or three Medium Sized Cargo Ships. I think they can do a time charter of some international vessel and place them on the route to say China, Germany and Singapore for about six months. But we already know the business is not already existing but we must build it up hence I prefer an outright buy of two or three vessels. I think they can get fairly used vessels for about $10,000,000.00 that is roughly N1.6 billion each (Consider that Peter Obi is leaving some N20Billion in coffers). Each vessel doing a round trip a month will be quite adequate for a start. An the STS can be done in open seas. Lets not forget gun boats for security. I think I omitted the price of tuggers, they should cost almost same as the barges or more. It will not be a good idea to use articulated barges.

This will create some good jobs for Anambrarian youths. the ships and barges will be requiring crews. So the state government won't do badly thinking of a maritime shipping school now.

Decker Barge
Barges for Sale
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/728129560/DWT_1000t_2000t_3000t_4000t_5000t.html
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/859834950/High_quality_deck_cargo_barge.html
Ships for sale
http://www.maritimesales.com/ships%20for%20sale.htm

I have just 2 questions for you

1: which port would the Bill of Laden read as the arrival port?

2: which Custom area will assess for duty and do collection for duty...pls take into account the rivalry and competition for revenue among the customs areas.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by fkaz(m): 7:09am On Dec 09, 2013
Mr Everest:

This part alone renders your article useless, please pick up an atlas and know where Lokoja port is located viz a viz Onitsha port, until you do that please don't comment again, thank you!

Which atlas, it's your brother who said onitsha port will server middle-belt and north-east with their market. I don't know how onitsha port will function if all the river channel on these axis are not dredge properly. I just hope FG is sincere with that project, because those river channel needs another dredging after last year flooding. That is why i say onitsha port will remain a mirage.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 8:45am On Dec 09, 2013
burberry89:

You see that's wat we r saying that's why most of ur states in SE is having just the sate capital and one big town to show and others are villages wit no good roads cos the ones who are supposed to develop ur states av traveled to SW north or abroad. We yoruba dnt just travel.
That's y u will an IGBO man wit his wife n children leaving his state and coming to one village in ur so called undeveloped SW to become a palm wine tapper or a laborer. Or av u seen a yoruba man leaving osun, oyo, ogun or ekiti to go n do abaro(laborer) in any part of the country?
after d hausas, na yorubas dey do odd jobs pass in other parts of d country. beggars, agberos,
taxi drivers on point
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 8:48am On Dec 09, 2013
Mr Everest:

e get nothing bad belle no go cause for some ppl
I swear
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by bayulll01(m): 9:04am On Dec 09, 2013
No hate like seriously I pray you ibos achieve ur dream so that u can leave us alone,the same tinx was said when u guys got the license for anambra inter airport,and at that maad man ranting yorubas don't travel,so as a yoruba man I should leave my state that is crime free,good and manageable road and port to ebonyi or enugu where I will be kidnap and probably I will be rob,the yorubas will travel to uk,canada us cos those places are better than their region,ok why did u pple travel to SW state when u claim the place is not develop?hatters will continue to hate,I pray nija divide peacefully and see what will becomes of u pple
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by revolt(m): 9:33am On Dec 09, 2013
bayulll01: No hate like seriously I pray you ibos achieve ur dream so that u can leave us alone,the same tinx was said when u guys got the license for anambra inter airport,and at that maad man ranting yorubas don't travel,so as a yoruba man I should leave my state that is crime free,good and manageable road and port to ebonyi or enugu where I will be kidnap and probably I will be rob,the yorubas will travel to uk,canada us cos those places are better than their region,ok why did u pple travel to SW state when u claim the place is not develop?hatters will continue to hate,I pray nija divide peacefully and see what will becomes of u pple
search deeply and be sincere to yourself, do you really think that in the event of a Nigeria's disintegration, an Igbo enclave would be retrogressive? dont fool yourself
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by mandarin: 11:06am On Dec 09, 2013
chino11: The importers want to receive their foreign goods direct in Onitsha.

The Anambra Shippers Association has called on the Federal Government to officially gazette the Onitsha River Port as an international cargo destination.

Emmanuel Akpaka, president of the association, told the News Agency of Nigeria in Onitsha, that this would make the port viable.

Mr. Akpaka noted that the initiative would also expand the frontiers of Onitsha that was located on the River Niger basin, as an international business hub.

“We want the port to be gazetted, in order for it to become a destination for cargo from anywhere in the world, whether China, Japan, Malaysia, America, or Britain.”

“So that our business brothers and sisters could ship their cargoes and goods direct from the foreign ports into Onitsha port.”

“And this can be done through a system of trans-loading tens of containers or some thousands of volumes of goods into badges to Onitsha direct and the importer receives his or her consignments in Onitsha.”

Akpaka commended the federal government for completing the port in time, as well as installing state-of-the-art facilities in it.

“We believe that all international businessmen and women have a stake in the positive wellbeing of the Onitsha port and we would also take it as our own,’’ he added.

http://premiumtimesng.com/regional/150794-importers-urge-fg-make-onitsha-port-cargo-destination.html

I support this effort if the port can be made to work and not just this onealone but also Ibaka I have heard so muh about but seen nothing happen and also Warri port, and ports at Igbokoda and Epe as well as Ogun waterside.
Lagos will continue to grow irrespective of what happens because factors that determine economic performance favors the city but Nigeria needs a second economic city quick while intra city train should quickly be put in place in LAGOS TO MAKE LIFE BETTER. I think a city like Warri should be worked on to perform. Naija, haa, it is well.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by mandarin: 11:11am On Dec 09, 2013
kettykin: The reason for success of Onitsha, Ibaka, delta and Onne are as follows
The lagos ports are the only deep sea port in Nigeria now and are presently inefficient leading to port congestion rise in number of days required to clear a cargo and delay in project time lines and increase on overall project cost.
Onitsha port as a new port would be easy to clear cargoes since it will be less busy at initial stage anddthere is more than enough space for future expansion of infrastructure when congestion comes.
Secondly the costs of warehousing in onitsha will not be up to 1/3 that of lagos which will in no small measure make goods imported through onitsha by far cheaper than goods imported through lagos. The landing costs of good to lagos is also made worse by tradition of lagos government to impose arbitrary taxes, indiscriminate closure of market and business premises on flimsy excuses of conferment of traditional titles, congestion and lack of space, citizenship abuse by law enforcement agents and area boys
Third point is the cost of transportation from lagos to nearby states in the north central, core north and south south from onitsha to Asaba is less than 5km while to Benin warri , is less than 2 hours , goods cleared in onitsha can be shipped to abuja via lokoja at a considerably cheaper cost and less than half the cost of transporting same from lagos to abuja by road and faster than transporting same from lagos to abuja through rail.
The key nigerian market for comsumerable are in Abuja , port Harcourt, and these 2 key cities are closer to onitsha than lagos
Fourthly the very cheap cost of accommodation and office space would make importation via onitsha a very viable option for busineses an accommodation in apapa is presently aboveN2m per annum while in Onitsha at N250, 000 a very good office accommodation can be secured.

The fifth point is really no point but it is still valid and it is the igbo gold rush syndrome, the rush for onitsha port would be triggered by the success of the pioneer importers whose record sales and profit would trigger a massive rush by other igbo businesses to onitsha port with some businesses maintaining lagos and onitsha operation until the increase in returns as a result of lower over heads will force them to permanently switch to onitsha port

Consumers of imported goods determine where importers will chose to ply his trade and Lagos account for the bulk of middle class consumers in Nigeria. I believe a delibrate government policy can change some things but I look down south at Ibaka if its real ) as the alternative but with Lekki in the offing, Lagos may keep being the real deal for some decades. Onitsha is a seaport and thee is limit to what it can accommodate, economy doesn't work that way, demands determine a whole lots.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
ilugunboy:

I have just 2 questions for you

1: which port would the Bill of Laden read as the arrival port?

2: which Custom area will assess for duty and do collection for duty...pls take into account the rivalry and competition for revenue among the customs areas.

Let me answer you just for completeness.

Ship to Ship transfers is already a common practice in the shipping industry. Only that it is more popular with liquids and powders. But can be applied to containers as well. The Bill used by customs is that of the mother vessel.

The idea of international gazette which am sure you read of in the original article is actually all about designating a customs authority for the port.
Hope your questions are answered.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:17pm On Dec 09, 2013
mandarin:

Consumers of imported goods determine where importers will chose to ply his trade and Lagos account for the bulk of middle class consumers in Nigeria. I believe a delibrate government policy can change some things but I look down south at Ibaka if its real ) as the alternative but with Lekki in the offing, Lagos may keep being the real deal for some decades. Onitsha is a seaport and thee is limit to what it can accommodate, economy doesn't work that way, demands determine a whole lots.
Wrong, Lagos does not account for the bulk of middle class consumers, its population is less than 20 million out of the 150 million.

Lagos acts as the transit point for goods reaching the distributed consumers. That goods originate from Lagos does not mean they are consumed in Lagos. The whole idea of Onitsha port is to carve out a portion of those consumers that Lagos currently serves. Which is not a bad idea seeing how congested Lagos is.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by rafindo(m): 12:28pm On Dec 09, 2013
asha 80: have you forgotten a bridge is supposed to pass east west road that crosses the river niger around bayelsa axis that is if a bridge has not already being built?even if it has not being built how high are they going to raise it to accomodate large ocean liners?
.dat is the problem i hav with investnow.he makes all his assumption with online feelers.investnow try and make ur research tight proof before selling ur ignorance on platter of overzealousness.their is a brigde connecting the east-west at the patani-mbiama axis of road.the solution is simple
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:35pm On Dec 09, 2013
KenGali:

Let me answer you just for completeness.

Ship to Ship transfers is already a common practice in the shipping industry. Only that it is more popular with liquids and powders. But can be applied to containers as well. The Bill used by customs is that of the mother vessel.

The idea of international gazette which am sure you read of in the original article is actually all about designating a customs authority for the port.
Hope your questions are answered.

You see...that is the contradiction there.

For practical purposes, let's illustrate this with a hypothesis.

Supposing Maersk or Safmarine (with port of origin stating US) has issued Bill oF Lading (BL) to read Apapa Ports as Port of Discharge, the RAR (now PAAR) can only be issued for Apapa Ports area for duty assessment.

A custom area outside Apapa ports cannot assess for duty.....so how would Onitsha port Customs area comes in?

Right from the PFI (PROFORMA INVOICE) to the final shipping documents...the port of discharge must be stated on all documents.

Honestly I still don't know how the STS can work without serious implications.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
ilugunboy:

You see...that is the contradiction there.

For practical purposes, let's illustrate this with a hypothesis.

Supposing Maersk or Safmarine has issued Bill Laden to read Apapa Ports as Port of Discharge, the RAR (now PAAR) can only be issued for Apapa Ports area for duty assessment.

A custom area outside Apapa ports cannot assess for duty.....so how would Onitsha port Customs area comes in?

Right from the PFI (PROFORMA INVOICE) to the final shipping documents...the port of discharge must be stated on all documents.

Honestly I still don't know how the STS can work without serious implications.
Trust that STS happens all the time, it is not new. If Onitsha gets the international Gazzette, the bills will read Onitsha Port, since the port will have its own designated customs authority.

[size=16pt]A bit of Derailment [/size]
Did anyone know that the 2008 Nobel Prize for Literature Winner J. M. G. Le Clézio wrote a novel called [size=16pt]"Onitsha"[/size]
Which was based on his childhood life joining his father with his mother at the Colonial Out post in Onitsha.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/887405.Onitsha
It will make a good read for those who like reading. You can get a PDF copy from scribed, follow the link below#
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26592025/Le-Clezio-J-M-G-Onitsha
Sorry guys the copy is not in English, still searching for an English copy. The reviews for the books seem fantastic.

It might also be interesting to you to know that quite a lot of shipping went on along the River Niger in the 1950s and 1960s. For one you can follow the trails of this shipping boat called "Onitsha" obviously named after the real Onitsha. http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/morwyr_llyn/onitsha/onitsha.htm
http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=3095
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Nobody: 12:55pm On Dec 09, 2013
KenGali:
Trust that STS happens all the time, it is not new. If Onitsha gets the international Gazzette, the bills will read Onitsha Port, since the port will have its own designated customs authority.

[size=16pt]A bit of Derailment [/size]
Did anyone know that the 2008 Nobel Prize for Literature Winner J. M. G. Le Clézio wrote a novel called [size=16pt]"Onitsha"[/size]
Which was based on his childhood life joining his father with his mother at the Colonial Out post in Onitsha.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/887405.Onitsha
It will make a good read for those who like reading. You can get a PDF copy from scribed, follow the link below#
http://www.scribd.com/doc/26592025/Le-Clezio-J-M-G-Onitsha

I hope and pray it comes to fruition, but really at the risk of sounding pessimistic, it will be more expensive.

Who bears the cost of transhipment from Ship to Ship? The importer?
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Malawian(m): 1:24pm On Dec 09, 2013
honestly this is the first time i am seeing those barges in action. i had always wondered how ships can berth at that river port and then turn around especially with the port situated after the head bridge.

honestly, i now believe the project is feasible.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Malawian(m): 1:30pm On Dec 09, 2013
ilugunboy:

Mumu x2

What is the meaning of hypocrisy....if anyone has been consistent in her beliefs here despite the constant bashing and emotional harassment you and your type send her way...it's Berem.

ode.
because she is APC like you, she is now "consistent" ?

see your oily face like c0nd0m tongue
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by asha80(m): 1:41pm On Dec 09, 2013
Malawian: honestly this is the first time i am seeing those barges in action. i had always wondered how ships can berth at that river port and then turn around especially with the port situated after the head bridge.

honestly, i now believe the project is feasible.
seeing them in action?when did you see it?
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by RareDiamond: 2:26pm On Dec 09, 2013
ilugunboy:

I hope and pray it comes to fruition, but really at the risk of sounding pessimistic, it will be more expensive.

Who bears the cost of transhipment from Ship to Ship? The importer?

PLEASE KEEP YOUR PESSIMISM TO YOURSELF. ONITSHA AND OGUTA PORTS WOULD WORK OUT FINE AND PROFITABLY BY GOD'S GRACE. SO DON'T WORRY YOURSELF ABOUT US, YOU CAN'T LOVE US MORE THAN OURSELVES !!!!

@ KENGALI; ONITSHA AND OGUTA PORTS HAVE BOTH NAVAL AND CUSTOMS BASES WHICH I BELIEVE WOULD PROVIDE SERVICES TO BOTH PORTS.

CRUDE OIL IS TRANSPORTED BY BIG BARGES FROM OGUTA THROUGH THE ADJOINING RIVERS TO THE ATLANTIC OCEAN WHERE THEY ARE TRANSFERRED TO BIG TANKER VESSELS. JULIUS BERGER MOVED THEIR HEAVY EQUIPMENTS VIA THE RIVER NIGER TO ONITSHA PORT WHERE THEY HAVE COMMENCED THEIR SURVEY AND PRE-MOBILISATION ACTIVITIES IN PREPARATION FOR THE 2ND NIGER BRIDGE. I SEE NO LOGICAL REASON FOR OGUTA AND ONITSHA PORT NOT TO WORK PROFITABLY BECAUSE A SIGNIFICANT NUMBER OF BARGES & VESSELS THAT BERTH IN LAGOS ARE TRANS-SHIPPED FROM FERNANDO PO EQUATORIAL GUINEA, GHANA AND BENIN REPUBLIC. WHY DO YOU THINK THAT ANAMBRA SHIPPING ASSOCIATION IS EXCITED ABOUT THE PROJECT ?

THE IMO STATE GOVERNMENT HAVE COMMENCED CONSTRUCTION OF AN INTERNATIONAL MARITIME UNIVERSITY IN OGUTA.

KINDLY IGNORE PEOPLE WHO WANTS APC TO WIN SE BUT DON'T WANT SE TO DEVELOP, THAT IS WHY THEY WOULD CONTINUE TO FAIL WOEFULLY IN NIGERIA

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by oneeast1: 2:32pm On Dec 09, 2013
Kengali is among the finest brains we have on NL..

Am already dubbing your feasibility analysis on the Onitsha Port for onward transmission..

The fact is that GEJ will make Onitsha Port international designation but whether now on in next tenure is what I don't know. I have overheard it muted in the Ministry of Transport.

1 Like

Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Malawian(m): 2:56pm On Dec 09, 2013
EMMAUGOH: so truth i can attestify to that ..the transformer in my street in nnewi was bought by individuals not fediral govermenti

everything that has to do with rural electrification, including tarring of all our village roads were done by the town union. my town is oraukwu in anambra state.
Re: Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination by Malawian(m): 2:58pm On Dec 09, 2013
asha 80: seeing them in action?when did you see it?

what i meant was seeing how barges work as depicted on the attached pictures by one of the posters.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

FG: We Will Sell Power Plants, Houses To Fund Budget.. / Southern Reps Back Region’s Govs On 2023 Presidency, PIB, Electoral Act / Rivers ACN Calls For The Removal Of Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.