Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,699 members, 7,820,438 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:47 PM

New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones (30186 Views)

AAUA Finally Recruits New Lecturers To Replace Striking Ones / Mimiko Begins Recruitment To Replace Striking Lecturers At AAUA / AAUA Begins Recruitment To Replace Striking Lecturers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Nobody: 9:24am On Dec 08, 2013
The decision of AAUA is like an ostrich that sees problem,but decides to bury its head,and wish the problem flies away,rather than tackle it.

If the news is anything to go by,then the same issue will spearhead again in nearest future..why can't ASUU,and FG solve this problem once,and for all,rather than the two engaging in commando style of war.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Creamychi(f): 9:51am On Dec 08, 2013
Lobatan...
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Lucy360love(f): 9:52am On Dec 08, 2013
11 years Old Nigerian creates A Social Network.
This is the site
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by ignis: 9:54am On Dec 08, 2013
@Op, please read your post, make corrections, come back and thank me.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by obinoral(m): 9:58am On Dec 08, 2013
All i can say is that the strike is beign politicise.

1 Like

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Libkid(m): 10:02am On Dec 08, 2013
They should go nd die since they are nt ready to work and for d new lecturers work hard xo dat u will be given 2million...
#go nd die to my haterz
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by ignis: 10:09am On Dec 08, 2013
Libkid: They should go nd die since they are nt ready to work and for d new lecturer work hard xo dat u will be given 2million
#go nd die to my haterz
Who are you hating?
No lecturer was sacked, rather new lecturers where recruited.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by lakefist(m): 10:10am On Dec 08, 2013
not good the students will suffer.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by vainfairy: 10:13am On Dec 08, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The lazy and unproductive lecturers should step aside for new lecturers who are ready to work. Atleast the new lecturers will learn from the sacked ones never to sacrifice their job on the alter of trade unionism.

If we'r not careful trade unionism will grow and become an untameble monster.

Yes workers can make demands but when they become unreasonable, they should be shown the way out. Only God knows what would have become of America if Ronald Reagan, then American president, did not sack 11, 345 air traffic controllers after a two-day strike. He did the right thing to avoid DANGEROUS precedent. Nobody is indispensable. Not even the president of Nigeria

Workers demanding for better work conditions, environment, & welfare from an impossibly corrupt govt Who should be shown d way out, tell me? F.Y.I, there's a massive diff btwn what happened in america & here! Why haven't jonah been dispensed wit?? U don dey madt abi

1 Like

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by LMAyedun(m): 10:15am On Dec 08, 2013
ignis: @Op, please read your post, make corrections, come back and thank me.
What's your point now?
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by boladez(m): 10:19am On Dec 08, 2013
Education means nothing to the foolish. The academia worldwide hold a special place in any nation.

The education ministry headed by a tout who in turn is supervised by a visionless guy is the recipe for destruction. Some lecturers like the Prof Mimiko have sold their birth rights over a plate of porridge.

Lecturing is not a profession for low lifers , a sane administrator will dare not do what this corrupt and indolent government is doing. How will they get results from the old lecturers, how will then manage the projects being supervised.

Ha , governance in Nigeria is at an all time low of extreme lack of capacity.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Nobody: 10:19am On Dec 08, 2013
I believe that ASUU president is not fair. Christmas is so close and the president of ASUU NAssir faggae is still refusing to call off the strike. How will lecturers who are christains celebrate the christmas? Is it the 1 or 2 bag of rice and other few food stuffs and the merger 50000 they will use to celebrate? People who are used to spending 150000-200000 for the christmas? What can one buy with 50000? If the children and wife cloth money are removed from that what will be left? What about lecturers who have extended family members in the village waiting for money from them to celebrate the christmas? I can still remember during the sallah celebration ASUU was still been paid by the federal government and the strike wasn't this far gone. So the Muslims enjoyed there sallah celebration and now the christain won't because of faggae's stubbornness for no just reason as I see no reason why the strike shouldn't have been called of since yesterday when government has agreed to pay them and even have document showing that the 200billion Naira has been paid to an account in cbn for them. NAssir faggae should call of this strike now so the christain lecturers should enjoy the Christmas celebration as well. ASUU president should be fair to himself and the whole ASUU lecturers in Nigeria and shouldnt be religiously bias. I am a Muslim and I know what to be fair means

1 Like

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by rezy15(m): 10:19am On Dec 08, 2013
take dat: This post does not make any sense!

This current ASUU strike isn't about 'Salary Increase'.

Our universities did not just start getting bad, I concur but should we then continue with the bad system or should we look for ways to put a stop to it? Which is why ASUU's demand for revitalization of the universities is important.

There is no association, group or organization where you will not find bad eggs mixed with the good ones. So there is no denying the fact that there are bad lecturers but the buck doesn't rest with ASUU. ASUU is only a trade union, it has no power to hire or fire lecturers. It is the university management that can hire lecturers, they can also query, discipline and fire bad lecturers. The ASUU chairman cannot punish licentous lecturers only a university management can do so, and who appoints the University heads/administrators(VC's, Pro-Chancellor and Governing Councils)? It is the 'GOVERNMENT'. The rot starts and ends with Government(either Federal or State) depending on the institution!

Nigerian lecturers cannot compete 'Academically or Intellectually' with Ghanaian lecturers? Well, it is your opinion. Do you know what it takes to be employed as a mere graduate assistant in a Federal University? It means such a person would have graduated with a First Class and minimum of a 2.1. Do you know what it takes to bag a First Class in a Federal University? Lots of hardwork, perseverance and exceptional brilliance. These Nigerian lecturers you claim are not competitive or up to date Academically/intellectually, are the same ones many of our political leaders who starve our universities of adequate funds but loot our treasury to establish private universities where students pay good pay, 'hire'. And many of them who leave Nigeria get hired by foreign universities. Are those foreign and private universities hiring lecturers who are not intellectually sound? Why are we always quick to condemn these academics, yet many of those who condemn the lecturers are themselves not intellectually sound?

If the Government fulfills its promise of annually funding the universities for 4 years to the tune of N1.2trillion, and the universities management make judicious use of what they are provided and build more hostels, lecture theaters/halls, equip the labs and improve on the infrastructural deficits, it is then you will see the 'Gains of this strike'. If ASUU did not embark on strike action, the Government wasn't prepared to inject more funds into our university system because almost all the top officials don't have children in public universities.
After days of reading thru diff posts this is the first meaningful post i hv read. We are always quick to insult ASUU for what is happening to our universities but the truth is we are just being selfish. All we want is to graduate nd go. What happen wen ur gone frm the university? ASUU isn't d only union demanding for better working conditions. eVen doctors are on strike. Only ASUU had the balls to see it to the end. I lost two yrs due to strike all cos our govt doesn't believe in abiding by an agreement. Fellow students who do u think feels
ur pain? Those in govt with kids abroad or the lecturers with kids in poorly equipped federal universities churning out undercooked graduates? Think...

5 Likes

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Libkid(m): 10:21am On Dec 08, 2013
ignis:
Who are you hating?
No lecturer was sacked, rather new lecturers where recruited.
really? Phew! abeg lock up
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Balyz: 10:32am On Dec 08, 2013
Nonsense! It won't work. How many of the so called lecturers are of professorial cadre? So the struggle should be abandoned cos some students got bored stayin at home?Never! The govt either pays or our school stay shut. Period!
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by theoctopus: 10:33am On Dec 08, 2013
rezy15:
After days of reading thru diff posts this is the first meaningful post i hv read. We are always quick to insult ASUU for what is happening to our universities but the truth is we are just being selfish. All we want is to graduate nd go. What happen wen ur gone frm the university? ASUU isn't d only union demanding for better working conditions. eVen doctors are on strike. Only ASUU had the balls to see it to the end. I lost two yrs due to strike all cos our govt doesn't believe in abiding by an agreement. Fellow students who do u think feels
ur pain? Those in govt with kids abroad or the lecturers with kids in poorly equipped federal universities churning out undercooked graduates? Think...

Do you know that the ASUU chairman's children attend universities in Ghana? You guys are always quick to say the government is corrupt and therefore anyone who opposes government is right. That in itself is a greater evil that we must run away from. You cannot use a "government is corrupt" blanket on all government actions and policies. It is very wrong. Every action or policy must be judged on its own merit and in this case, the government is right to demand a review of ASUU's demand. To suggest that ASUU should be given whatever they demand because legislators are "chopping money" is as ridiculous as anything else. ASUU is not the only problem of Nigeria. You talk about government funding but forget that Education had the highest in the 2013 budget. This was a budget that was put in place last year when ASUU hadnt gone on strike. So to suggest the government is not interested in funding education is completely false. The question is how important is funding education in comparison to other sectors. If you ask me, while I agree totally that education is very fundamental in any modern society, I do think that in the immediate term, power, agriculture and healthcare are more important than education in Nigeria. I would even support a move that will give a quarter of our budget to power infrastructure and another quarter to agric and setup of new industries like mining, steel, etc. In the immediate term, we dont need many graduates or "quality graduates". In fact, for our kind of economy, emphasis should be placed on technical education, not university education. That is what is done in Asia.

ASUU are not fighting for Nigerians. They are fighting for their pockets. Nothing in their words, actions and body language suggests they are fighting for students or for Nigeria

9 Likes

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Caseless: 10:39am On Dec 08, 2013
now i knw why ASUU is insisting on non-victimization of their members as part of the fresh demand ! the affected members should be steadfast cos they're gonna have their jobs back when the dust settles. Gov mimiko, a loyalist of the president , has cajoled VC mimiko into doing his bidding. They cant win against a united voice like ASUU. it is jst symptomatic of jonathan and his loyalists to behave in a crass snse and later turn around to paint others bad.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by serverconnect(m): 10:41am On Dec 08, 2013
This Ȋ̝̊̅​Ƨ̲̣̣̥ ridiculous.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by serverconnect(m): 10:44am On Dec 08, 2013
Pls op are U̶̲̥̅̊ hearing anything about ASUP strike. Pls update »ṁ̭̥̈̅̄​є̲̣̣̣̥.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Caseless: 10:46am On Dec 08, 2013
theoctopus:

Do you know that the ASUU chairman's children attend universities in Ghana? You guys are always quick to say the government is corrupt and therefore anyone who opposes government is right. That in itself is a greater evil that we must run away from. You cannot use a "government is corrupt" blanket on all government actions and policies. It is very wrong. Every action or policy must be judged on its own merit and in this case, the government is right to demand a review of ASUU's demand. To suggest that ASUU should be given whatever they demand because legislators are "chopping money" is as ridiculous as anything else. ASUU is not the only problem of Nigeria. You talk about government funding but forget that Education had the highest in the 2013 budget. This was a budget that was put in place last year when ASUU hadnt gone on strike. So to suggest the government is not interested in funding education is completely false. The question is how important is funding education in comparison to other sectors. If you ask me, while I agree totally that education is very fundamental in any modern society, I do think that in the immediate term, power, agriculture and healthcare are more important than education in Nigeria. I would even support a move that will give a quarter of our budget to power infrastructure and another quarter to agric and setup of new industries like mining, steel, etc. In the immediate term, we dont need many graduates or "quality graduates". In fact, for our kind of economy, emphasis should be placed on technical education, not university education. That is what is done in Asia.

ASUU are not fighting for Nigerians. They are fighting for their pockets. Nothing in their words, actions and body language suggests they are fighting for students or for Nigeria
mischief maker, point to the university in ghana where we have ASUU president's children or give us the names of his children. u pple are just blind to the fact simply because ur gej is being drawn to d mud by ASUU. if u are in nigeria schooling, then tell me your school and i'd tell u how a half-baked graduate u are. use ur cephalo.....ASUU is fighting for us. and even if u dont see them like that, or think their kids are in abroad, then they're fighting for those that cannot take their children abroad to get a better education.

5 Likes

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Adex097: 10:51am On Dec 08, 2013
Good one from AAUA, ma sister's friend was recruited some weeks ago too...the funniest part of it is that, the guy just finished serving and has no masters degree.

God help us in this country

3 Likes

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Tonycart: 11:00am On Dec 08, 2013
Hahahahaha that vc must be the most useless vc ever cos the federal govt has extended the ultimatum till 9th of Dec. Over sabi vc. Am sure the school need more lecturers before now
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by olanyte: 11:03am On Dec 08, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The lazy and unproductive lecturers should step aside for new lecturers who are ready to work. Atleast the new lecturers will learn from the sacked ones never to sacrifice their job on the alter of trade unionism.

If we'r not careful trade unionism will grow and become an untameble monster.

Yes workers can make demands but when they become unreasonable, they should be shown the way out. Only God knows what would have become of America if Ronald Reagan, then American president, did not sack 11, 345 air traffic controllers after a two-day strike. He did the right thing to avoid DANGEROUS precedent. Nobody is indispensable. Not even the president of Nigeria
if any of ur relative was among the sack lecturers will you say what you are saying?
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by yemmit90: 11:04am On Dec 08, 2013
gedtalks: Yeah... Its just the beginning. They've not seen anything yet. The number of strikes done by ASUU in the past 15 years is unbelivable. And all of them boil down to one thing SALARY INCREASE.

I actually do not blame students that support ASUU 's comouflage of ''improve the status of Nigerian Universities''. Did Nigerian Universities just start getting bad. And by the way which is more important '' infrastructure or the quality of education? - I mean quality education without sorting and fvcking to pass. Can 50% of our so called naija lecturers compete academically/ intellectually with Ghanian lecturers. Do our lecturers read before coming to class ? Do they update their handouts or pass the same expired information in old papers from generation to generation ? If ASUU is actually concerned about the state of Naija universities, they would have started cleaning the mess from within by removing the bad eggs amongst themselves first. Open ur eyes Great Nigerian students.

Why are some un-civilised/uneducated Nigerians so quick in comparing Nigeria to Ghana? Is it the same lecturers hiring in the foreign and private universities you were referring to? How many universities in Ghana are among top 50 in Africa?

Though our lecturers still needs to improve intellectually and research more but that doesn't mean they're that poor.

1 Like

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by LMAyedun(m): 11:05am On Dec 08, 2013
Adex097: Good one from AAUA, ma sister's friend was recruited some weeks ago too...the funniest part of it is that, the guy just finished serving and has no masters degree.

Mr. Take dat, hope you can see this? This is Nigeria, where nothing is impossible. Recruitment process can start and End within 24hours in Nigeria.
AAUA's management is more desperate than even the FG... Just wondering why.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by LMAyedun(m): 11:12am On Dec 08, 2013
Adex097: Good one from AAUA, ma sister's friend was recruited some weeks ago too...the funniest part of it is that, the guy just finished serving and has no masters degree.

A testifier in the House.. Many more to come.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by amacastel: 11:20am On Dec 08, 2013
May God bless the VC and increase his strength and knowledge we have a lot of pple with the certificate to be lectures that can be replced with the striking selfish lecturers pls other universities VC should emulate this man of honor and sack all these bad eggs
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by lekkie073(m): 11:21am On Dec 08, 2013
ruse
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by johnwell(m): 11:36am On Dec 08, 2013
I love this, na devil purnish ASUU,
Am proud of NOUN!!!!
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by obeski13(m): 11:40am On Dec 08, 2013
D blame on d rot in our educational system is 40% govt, 30% school mgt, 30% lecturers..d truth must be told, d major problem bedevilling our education is majorly dat of mismanagement and cncompency of d part of d lecturers.there is no where in d world where gout fund university education sole as being demanded by ASSUU...most schools all over d world use internally generated revenue, grants and other sources wc often add up to abt 70% of their revenue to fund their schools.that is why we see schools all over d world coming to nigeria to lure nigerians into their schools... Do we know that d amount of funds public school av at their disposal in a year is more than d private schools?dis is a simple analogy of what am saying: an average public school with a population of 30, 000 students(both main students and part time) with an average fee of 100,000 naira per session amounts to 3billion naira per year.dis money is exclusive of allocation frm govt, and other sources.it must be noted that no penny is spend frm dis money on salaries of both academic and non academic staff.lets now analyse dat of private schools.an average rivate school charges 300,000 naira peq session, with a population of roughly on d average 5,000 students.it amounts to abt 1.5billion naira pbr session.it must be noted dat salaries of both academic and non academic staffs are paid frm dis amount.no govt allocation or intervention agenciy like TETF supplement dis amount..it is obvious dat funding is never d problem bedevelling our nstitutions

1 Like

Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by nydraps(m): 11:40am On Dec 08, 2013
cumpaddre: Jesu Christi !! It has started happening ooo!!! Where are the ASUU e-lawyers saying it can't happen? Ya'll should come and speak on this cos I sense the same thing happening very soon in FUTO.
FUTO has postponed their exams whether they resume or not.
Re: New Lecturers Resume Work At AAUA To Replace Striking Ones by Zeebah23(f): 11:47am On Dec 08, 2013
please stop this rumour already.
No lecturer was sacked#fact.
New ones were added to the ones on ground, the recruitment process started around July for teaching and non-teaching staff and it was placed on the school's website-it is still there + the orientation took place on 3rd and 4th December not 25th of November.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Uniabuja Recalls Expelled SUG President, Ude-Umanta After 12 Years / Nigerian Law School Did Not Approve Use Of Hijab But A Hair Cover For Firdaus / Strange Origin Of 9 Everyday Objects We Use

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.