Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,079 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:03 AM

Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. (12609 Views)

Photos Of Super Eagles Players Training Ahead Of Match Against Egypt On Tuesday / Super Eagles On A Team Walk In Swaziland Ahead Of Match Today (Photos) / Super Eagles Players Train In Port-Harcourt Ahead Of Match Against Niger (Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by dridowu: 5:26pm On Dec 09, 2013
Fvuk up

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by dungdusugyang(m): 5:29pm On Dec 09, 2013
Its evident dat manu ar presently suffering frm da scar of match fixing...jst saying sha.

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Afritop(m): 5:29pm On Dec 09, 2013
dridowu: Fvuk up
Too bad! You didn't make it. Welcome to second page

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by naptu2: 5:34pm On Dec 09, 2013
[size=14pt]Match fixing: Former Portsmouth star Sam Sodje and brother arrested in dawn swoop[/size]

08 December 2013 06:10 PM

By Martin Fricker, David Collins

The arrests came after Sodje, 34, was filmed claiming he could arrange for players to pick up yellow cards in exchange for cash

A former Premier League star was arrested in a dawn swoop today over shock match-fixing claims.

Ex-Portsmouth star Sam Sodje and his brother Stephen were held by cops investigating football corruption.

The arrests came after Sodje, 34, was filmed claiming he could arrange for players to pick up yellow cards in exchange for cash.

Nigeria-born Sodje demanded £30,000 for a booking and £50,000 for a player to get a red card during a match.

He even claimed he punched a player in the groin during a match to be deliberately sent off - and pick up a £70,000 bung.

The former Reading and Brentford defender also boasted that he could rig Premier League and World Cup games.

He said some African players could be easily tempted because they do not get paid much to represent their national teams.

The brothers were arrested by detectives from the National Crime Agency at their homes in Abbeywood, south London.

Cops were seen carrying away evidence, including a desktop computer, from Stephen’s £120,000 home.

Oldham Athletic star Cristian Montano, 21, was also filmed discussing match-fixing in the sting.

He was caught on tape apologising for failing to pick up a booking for cash during a game.

Another of Sodje’s brothers, Akpo, 33, who plays for Tranmere Rovers, was also captured discussing spot-fixing.

A third man was arrested in connection with the case today but police refused to reveal if it was Montano or Akpo.

Sodje told an undercover investigator that he had “sorted” one former Premier League player to deliberately pick up a booking.

He said the star, who cannot be named, received £30,000 in exchange for the yellow card during a Championship match.

“This guy came to meet me at my house and it was sorted,” boasted the former Nigeria international.

“That’s how easy it is - it’s nothing. The booking one is easy. You just push someone, swear at the referee, kick the ball away.

“A yellow card is a standard thing. No one would even be suspicious.”

Sodje allegedly demanded a Rolex watch and a Range Rover for acting as “fixer” for the dodgy deal.

He said he picked up £70,000 after deliberately getting sent off while playing for Portsmouth earlier this year.

The player received a red card after punching Oldham’s Jose Baxter twice in the crotch.

Sodje also claimed he could rig Premier League games and had discussed match-fixing with several top names.

Montano was filmed apologising to Sodje after failing to get booked in the first half of a clash between Oldham and Wolves.

An NCA spokeswoman confirmed the arrests and said they were working closely with the FA and Gambling Commission.

“Three people are in custody and are being questioned by NCA officers,” she said. “We cannot comment further at this stage.”

Football League chief executive Shaun Harvey said: “We treat any allegations of criminal activity with the utmost seriousness.

“Given that there is an ongoing police investigation into this matter, we cannot comment further at this time.

“Although, we would encourage anyone with any evidence to report it to the police.

“We will be giving our full assistance to the police during their investigation.”

In a statement, the Football Association said: “The FA is aware of the National Crime Agency investigation.

“We are working closely with the NCA and other authorities. We will make no further comment at this time.”

A Gambling Commission spokesman said it was “supporting” the ongoing NCA investigation.

Illegal betting syndicates are worth an estimated £320 billion - fuelled by ‘in-game’ betting.

The majority of revenues are generated in Asia, where the gambling industry is unregulated.

The NCA is already carrying out a separate investigation into an alleged international illegal betting syndicate.

Michael Boateng and Hakeem Adelakun, both 22, were charged last week with conspiracy to defraud contrary to common law.

The pair, who played for Conference South club Whitehawk FC, were dismissed by their club and will appear in court on Wednesday.

Chann Sankaran, 33, and Krishna Sanjey Ganeshan, 43, were charged last month with plotting to defraud bookmakers.

Portsmouth FC said today they would co-operate with police and league officials if contacted.

Spokesman Colin Farmery said: “If these serious allegations are true then we are extremely shocked and saddened by them.

“Match-fixing of any type goes to the heart of the integrity of the game.

“The player in question no longer plays for the club and we have not been contacted by the authorities, but of course we would cooperate fully with any inquiry.”

Guy Whittingham, who was manager of Portsmouth at the time, said the claims brought back memories of the match in which Sam Sodje was sent off.

He said: “Sam came racing over - and I didn’t actually see the incident at the time itself - but then you see it in the cold light of day afterwards and you see what he’s done and you can’t fathom out why he’s done it.”

Oldham Athletic said it would be launching an “immediate internal investigation” into the claims surrounding Montano.

“The club is co-operating with other agencies in this matter and cannot comment on specific facts,” it added in a statement.

Oldham’s former player and manager Andy Ritchie said: “I’m dismayed. I know they are only allegations but I feel if they proven, and it remains to seen they will be, it will be very disappointing.

“We are fully co-operating with the investigation.

“If something like this is happening it is terrible. You are letting your team-mates down, your team down. It could cost a club a place in the league.

“I believe and I hope football is a game of integrity.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/football-match-fixing-sam-sodje-2906283
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by bufness(m): 5:36pm On Dec 09, 2013
Ogbuefienubiaka: so only Africans do match fixing in EPL? there is more to this. the way some matches end in EPL especially during Alex feg showed there is match fixing in EPL that even involves refrees...............u know their names.
your foolishness z incomparable

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by stagger: 5:58pm On Dec 09, 2013
Davidolives: Am a man utd fan but ask sir ALEx who is d king of match fixing,or wenger against totteham some yrs ago i can kip mentioning names

Guy, you get proof? Dis your beer parlour gist go put you for wahala!

2 Likes

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by andyanders: 5:59pm On Dec 09, 2013
Same never played for Nigeria. He is a UK citizen born and brought up in England. Only his brother Efe is a Nigeria.Let them deal with him as a UK citizen and not mention Nigeria.

If he had taken Nigerian citizenship, he wouldn't have been involved with match fixing.

3 Likes

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by tutu1: 6:06pm On Dec 09, 2013
NIGERIANS AT IT AGAIN LMAO so sad how our names come up in every other illegal activity
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by DisGuy: 6:11pm On Dec 09, 2013
andyanders: Same never played for Nigeria. He is a UK citizen born and brought up in England. Only his brother Efe is a Nigeria.Let them deal with him as a UK citizen and not mention Nigeria.

If he had taken Nigerian citizenship, he wouldn't have been involved with match fixing.

He played for nigeria...probably *paid* his way in as well
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by naptu2: 6:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
andyanders: Same never played for Nigeria. He is a UK citizen born and brought up in England. Only his brother Efe is a Nigeria.Let them deal with him as a UK citizen and not mention Nigeria.

Former Nigerian international Sam Sodje.

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Ninilowo(m): 6:18pm On Dec 09, 2013
I hope my pple will now believe me dt majority of football matches are just films. This will knock some senses into the heads of die hard fans.

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by whosefault(f): 6:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
you see why siasia was dropped, these guys can do anything for money. they are businessmen and the language a businessman understand is money. only few are career mindful

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Nobody: 6:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
d1ck punch for cash Hehehehe
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Reyspin(m): 6:58pm On Dec 09, 2013
In as much as i dont support match fixing.... This guy no be correct Nigerian....SLACKER
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by leggo: 7:10pm On Dec 09, 2013
naptu2:

Former Nigerian international Sam Sodje.

pls continue knocking sense into the heads of dumbos.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by dking123: 7:31pm On Dec 09, 2013
Kaita should be investigated for his action in 2010.

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Godyke(m): 8:26pm On Dec 09, 2013
This now bring to the conclusion that wrestling, which I see people watch on the TV screens of those road side electronics shops, are more real than the so called football matches some die hard fans troop to go watch at viewing centres and even bet over.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by deniiQ: 8:42pm On Dec 09, 2013
Tolexander: Was he high on drug or what?

I wonder oooo!
***shakes head tufiakwally***
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by leggo: 8:43pm On Dec 09, 2013
dj campbell also
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by tjadeba(m): 8:45pm On Dec 09, 2013
d king123: Kaita should be investigated for his action in 2010.
I have been thinking in the same direction since this news broke out
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Akolawole(m): 9:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
This is sad.

Prior to the names being mentioned, my initial thought was Bangladesh, Malaysians and Nigerians(whether UK born, bred or immigrant).

I begin to do permutations. Do we have Malaysians and Bangladesh in our league? This is no cricket!

One Hakeem Ogunlade came up and NOW Sodjes. Too bad !

Maybe people are too desperate for money. I cant just understand.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by vislabraye(m): 9:31pm On Dec 09, 2013
Ogbeche77: This is the lowest a professional footballer could go, Sam Sodje has brought shame to his sporting family and also to the game of football.. He should face the full wrath of the law

And he has brought shame to Nigeria. Imagine him boasting. If possible, he should be jailed.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by mdokpella: 9:58pm On Dec 09, 2013
Don't be surprise this fool could be paid to grant this self incriminating interview! Big fool.
Your hard earned reputation has just been tarnished, the English tabloids will ruin your entire family. Уσυ are jail bound.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:59pm On Dec 09, 2013
sambas: somebody slap me, if I' ws wrong,, I dey suspect dat Arsenal vs Soton match,, see dat keeper na, even madman go know say na match fixing.

The same keeper also did this. Pure match fixing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fi8qqDRGH98
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by xtervaganza(m): 11:11pm On Dec 09, 2013
This bastard should be jailed! So classless and irresponsible. A real disgrace.

And worst he can't even keep his mouth shut. I hope he spends time in jail
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by xtervaganza(m): 11:13pm On Dec 09, 2013
mdokpella: Don't be surprise this fool could be paid to grant this self incriminating interview! Big fool.
Your hard earned reputation has just been tarnished, the English tabloids will ruin your entire family. Уσυ are jail bound.

Bros, a beg, let's not relate everything that involves black to racism. There is video evidence here not just some cock and bull story. The guy is a disgrace

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Nobody: 11:16pm On Dec 09, 2013
Do you guys know what is on stake for him to come out like this? I m smelling rat.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by collynzo2(m): 11:19pm On Dec 09, 2013
^^^
hope all of you commenting realise that the guy was filmed with a hidden camera?
It wasn't like an interview of some sort, the journalist masqueraded as a betting agent and was discussing ''business'' with him while filming him with a hidden camera.
I just thought I should make that clear.

1 Like

Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by Abraham2013(m): 1:41am On Dec 10, 2013
He now a Nigerian because he is involved in match fixing. if Gaberal agbolahor makes d news for d wrong reasons, dey will also call him Nigerian.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by UKBobo(m): 1:59am On Dec 10, 2013
if Gaberal agbolahor makes d news for d wrong reasons, dey will also call him Nigerian.

Gabby na correct Nigerian, sure u know the number of pikin he dey father for birmingham, abi?

'exposed in the News of the World early in the 2008/09 season, as the tabloid revealed that Agbonlahor got three women pregnant all in the same period of time'.
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by naptu2: 6:40am On Dec 10, 2013
Christian Montano apologises to Sam Sodje after he failed to get a yellow card in the first half of a match against Wolves (full video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iz98waOBjWc
Re: Sam Sodje, Others Accused Of Match Fixing. by luckshine: 8:12am On Dec 10, 2013
sambas: somebody slap me, if I' ws wrong,, I dey suspect dat Arsenal vs Soton match,, see dat keeper na, even madman go know say na match fixing.
thank you my brother

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Team Nigeria Leads With 21 Medals At Africa Wrestling Championships / Aston Villa Vs Burnley Called Off Just Before Kick-off / Qatar 2022: Jose Gaya Ruled Out Of Spain, After Suffering An Injury In Training

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.