Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,756 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 AM

@ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? (2077 Views)

Nigeria Will Gain Nothing By Killing Rev. King – Igbo Group Begs Buhari For Pard / Sunday School Lessons: What Do You Gain To Share With Others? / What Do You Stand To Gain For Being An Atheist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

@ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by Shaz(f): 4:40pm On Jul 28, 2008
Just being curious, since you're against 'religionism' and you are so bent on 'converting' people to ya belief. Okay, just these 3 questions for now:

1. What do you gain from that? Like you work for an agency, or what?

2. What would you do when you find out that you were wrong on the Judgment Day? [Notice: I said 'when' not 'if']

3. How many converts do you have so far?

I'd like you to answer these. Safe
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by mazaje(m): 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2008
@ poster
what will you do when you find out that there is no judgement day when you die?
Notice i said when not if. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by Gamine(f): 6:43pm On Jul 28, 2008
We would have lost nothing, if. . .

But you on the other hand would lose Everything if viceversa
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by 2dye4(m): 6:49pm On Jul 28, 2008
Gamine:

We would have lost nothing, if. . .

But you on the other hand would lose Everything if viceversa

exactly!
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by morpheus24: 6:52pm On Jul 28, 2008
Huxley's approach is wrong in that he is trying to convince people of his view point in the wrong forum. While his threads do spark conversations and deep thought based on certain provable facts and logic, the underlying problem is that he is facing a crowd who base most of their reasoning on the subject matter on "faith"

Its like going to the famous white supremacist website stormfront and trying to convinve them that they are the same as black people. It just is not going to work. You might spark the curiousity of one or two people but eventually if that is not the goal, then the effort is pointless.

My advice to Huxley, argue the logic and bring people to the understanding.
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by SeanT21(f): 7:22pm On Jul 28, 2008
Please answer Huxley!!
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by huxley(m): 9:47pm On Jul 28, 2008
Shaz:

Just being curious, since you're against 'religionism' and you are so bent on 'converting' people to ya belief. Okay, just these 3 questions for now:

1. What do you gain from that? Like you work for an agency, or what?

2. What would you do when you find out that you were wrong on the Judgment Day? [Notice: I said 'when' not 'if']

3. How many converts do you have so far?.

I'd like you to answer these. Safe

1) My gain is that I help eliminate superstition from our civilization. Take for instance the passage from the bible,

Exodus 22:18, "THOU SHALT NOT SUFFER A WITCH TO LIVE."

Tens of thousands of people died at the hands of Christian witch hunters in the Middle Ages as a direct inspiration of this passage.

Do you think if slavery had been explicitly condemned by the bible it would have had the direct support of the Christian churches.

This is what motivates me - the lack of critical thinking. It is difficult living in a world with people whose minds are set in bronze-age thinking.

2) Does our minds survive death?

3) Unlike you guys, I am not looking for converts. I am interested in educating.
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by MissyB1(m): 9:55pm On Jul 28, 2008
God is real. cool
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by GODLOVES1: 10:39pm On Jul 28, 2008
huxley

I agree with you that a lot of people have died because of Religion, I am not a friend of Religion, but I have the faith that the Bible teaches us to have, not Religion, faith.

About the verse you quoted:"THOU SHALT NOT SUFFER A WITCH TO LIVE." You must understand the reason for that verse.
The Bible teaches that Magic is from Satan, and its users are Worshipers of Satan. And were Satan is lord there can only be Death and destruction. But Yes many have been killed because people who say thy fallow Christ have misused tha verse to kill innocent people.
But now we (fallowers of christ) are to find those who have went the wrong way and bring them back to the Fold.
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by huxley(m): 10:49pm On Jul 28, 2008
GOD_LOVES:

huxley

I agree with you that a lot of people have died because of Religion, I am not a friend of Religion, but I have the faith that the Bible teaches us to have, not Religion, faith.

About the verse you quoted:"THOU SHALT NOT SUFFER A WITCH TO LIVE." You must understand the reason for that verse.
The Bible teaches that Magic is from Satan, and its users are Worshipers of Satan. And were Satan is lord there can only be Death and destruction. But Yes many have been killed because people who say thy fallow Christ have misused tha verse to kill innocent people.
But now we (fallowers of christ) are to find those who have went the wrong way and bring them back to the Fold.

CAn you tell me how you come to know that the bible is the word of god. Could god have written a better book?
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by GODLOVES1: 11:06pm On Jul 28, 2008
CAn you tell me how you come to know that the bible is the word of god. Could god have written a better book?

No, he did not write it Himself. He used Humans to do that, but the Holy Ghost was the one who gave those Humans what to write.
God is almighty and with this power he was able to bring together what he needed for is Book or his word.
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by GODLOVES1: 11:09pm On Jul 28, 2008
And in Mathew, Mark, Luke, John and other books in the Bible we see were God or Jesus speaks.
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by huxley(m): 11:14pm On Jul 28, 2008
GOD_LOVES:

No, he did not write it Himself. He used Humans to do that, but the Holy Ghost was the one who gave those Humans what to write.
God is almighty and with this power he was able to bring together what he needed for is Book or his word.

I asked, "how do you come to know that it was the Holy ghost that inspired the writers"?

Suppose I say, ah, it was not the holy ghost but Santa Clause, how do we get to know who is right?

Turn to Leviticus 27: 29, where god talks about human sacrifice. Are you saying that this is god's word?
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by madamkoko: 2:49am On Jul 29, 2008
I like Huxley's thought process. He acknowledges that Nigerians don't think, not just critically, but at all when it comes to issues of religion. Leaving many gullible and without sense when making decisions.

Religion is a tool of oppression.

God on the other hand, I believe, is as Real as Real gets. I strongly believe in the existence of a higher power which has nothing to do with the Religion.

I don't fall for HUGE CORPORATIONS WHO CALL THEMSELVES "CHURCHES."

Religion is another social institution used to oppress and suppress people to make them dependent on so called self appointed leaders who only seek to make a profit for thier personal benefit and gain.
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by madamkoko: 2:51am On Jul 29, 2008
I like Huxley. kiss kiss
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by GODLOVES1: 8:51am On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

I asked, "how do you come to know that it was the Holy ghost that inspired the writers"?

Suppose I say, ah, it was not the holy ghost but Santa Clause, how do we get to know who is right?

Turn to Leviticus 27: 29, where god talks about human sacrifice. Are you saying that this is god's word?

I'm Sorry that I did not answer that,
2.Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by INSPIRATION of God,,

That is how I know the Bible was Inspired by God, and not Santa Clause

Religion is a tool of oppression.
I agree
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by Gamine(f): 8:58am On Jul 29, 2008
Why dosnt this Huxley just go on educating and leave Christianity out of his curriculum
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by huxley(m): 9:09am On Jul 29, 2008
GOD_LOVES:

I'm Sorry that I did not answer that,
2.Timothy 3:16

That is how I know the Bible was Inspired by God, and not Santa Clause
I agree

Let us think this thru methodically, as it appears you have not given this statement any thought whatsoever.

How does god transfer the thoughts in his mind into the minds of the bible writers? Having transfered his thoughts into the minds of the writers how would god ensure that it is exactly his thoughts that are put down on paper (patchment)?

Are god's thoughts transfer thru voice, vision, trance, hallucination, telepathy etc? If one is inspired by god, is the inspiration only momentarily or is it a life-long process?

Supposing it is true that good really did inspire the bible, what quality and standards of truth would you expect to find therein? Would you expect the following;

1) Contradictions
2) Falsehood
3) Distortions and corruption
4) God ordering massacres, genocide, killing of the innocent

If Satan inspired a book could it be worst than the bible?
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by huxley(m): 9:13am On Jul 29, 2008
Gamine:

Why dosnt this Huxley just go on educating and leave Christianity out of his curriculum

You would like to be left in your delusion, wouldn't you? Unfortunately, because we all live in an interconnected world, having delusional people affects all of us. Even worse where they form the majority in a democratic country, cus they would sheepishly just follow what their pastors tell them. Thus possibly electing a candidate who favours their views, thus affecting everyone else.
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by Pataki: 9:42am On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

Let us think this through methodically, as it appears you have not given this statement any thought whatsoever.

How does god transfer the thoughts in his mind into the minds of the bible writers? Having transfered his thoughts into the minds of the writers how would god ensure that it is exactly his thoughts that are put down on paper (patchment)?

Are god's thoughts transfer through voice, vision, trance, hallucination, telepathy etc? If one is inspired by god, is the inspiration only momentarily or is it a life-long process?

Supposing it is true that good really did inspire the bible, what quality and standards of truth would you expect to find therein? Would you expect the following;

1) Contradictions
2) Falsehood
3) Distortions and corruption
4) God ordering massacres, genocide, killing of the innocent

If Satan inspired a book could it be worst than the bible?

How do you transfer your logical reasonings into writing? Are they a true representation of your thought process? Have your ever pondered on how Moses was able to write the Book of GENESIS showing the beginning of creation, or how John was inspired to write the book of Revelation?
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by MissyB1(m): 9:44am On Jul 29, 2008
Huxley,yhu need Jesus. cool
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by huxley(m): 9:49am On Jul 29, 2008
Missy B:

Huxley,yhu need Jesus. cool

Can you try answering the question, rather than mindlessly preaching to me about this impostor from NAzareth?
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by GODLOVES1: 9:53am On Jul 29, 2008
How does god transfer the thoughts in his mind into the minds of the bible writers?  Having transferred his thoughts into the minds of the writers how would god ensure that it is exactly his thoughts that are put down on paper (patchment)?

Are god's thoughts transfer through voice, vision, trance, hallucination,  telepathy etc?  If one is inspired by god, is the inspiration only momentarily or is it a life-long process?
The Bible tells us that God spoke to people such as Samuel and Moses. And He also used visions. As to how long the inspired person was inspired, I don't know.

According to the Bible God is almighty so it would not be a problem to watch out for his word.
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by MissyB1(m): 10:01am On Jul 29, 2008
huxley:

Can you try answering the question, rather than mindlessly preaching to me about this impostor from NAzareth?
Preach to yhu? shocked
Dat's like sending kicks into the air.
I'm only stating a FACT.
Well call it whatever yhu like  as long as yhu end up thinkin about it.

Bruv,drink a little cold water else yhu end up wit headache.yhu're alwaz UNECESSARILY TOO DEFENSIVE wink cheesy
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by kolaoloye(m): 10:22am On Jul 29, 2008
B R B
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by t0kunb0(m): 10:24am On Jul 29, 2008
@ all:

it aint always about who's on d wrong side of the fence or not. y wuld God giv Hux a mind & not want him 2 exercise it (kindda lyk d forbidden apple & Adam story). there have been worse people thinkers than Hux & worse more are yet unborn. no1 wants 2 look lyk a fool by agreeing wif d other fellow.

im sure if Hux had a good reason 2 bliv y'all he wuld & he'd make an even beta "believer" dan most of u out der. stop condemin/supportin what u aint sure of cos if u were, u'd no what 2 say

David goes 2 war against "d enemies" & ends up killing "all of 'em" & says "thank God". . .i ask, wasnt it d same God dat created "dem enemies". . . y rob Peter 2 pay Paul
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by MissyB1(m): 10:34am On Jul 29, 2008
t0kunb0:

@ all:

it aint always about who's on d wrong side of the fence or not. y wuld God giv Hux a mind & not want him 2 exercise it (kindda like d forbidden apple & Adam story). there have been worse people thinkers than Hux & worse more are yet unborn. no1 wants 2 look like a fool by agreeing with d other fellow.

i'm sure if hux had a good reason to blive y'all he would & he'd make an even beta "believer" dan most of u out der. stop condemin/supportin what u aint sure of because if u were, u'd no what 2 say

David goes 2 war against "d enemies" & ends up killing "all of 'em" & says "thank God". . .i ask, wasnt it d same God that created "them enemies". . . y rob Peter 2 pay Paul

Brother,what other reason will sm1 be luking for other than the obvious?
Well,nobody is trying to force anybody into doing anytyn(its all about yhur mindset)
Its jst for d "LOVE" we have for Hux  kiss that is y we're telling him sm truth lipsrsealed cool.
Plus we aren't saying we're perfect nd aren't condemin nobody.

I SEE HUX BECOMING ONE OF GOD'S GREATEST SERVANT. cool tongue cool shocked cheesy
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by wirinet(m): 10:46am On Jul 29, 2008
Huxley,
I still believe firmly, that other people's views, ideas and culture should be respected. And i say if you do not then you are making the same religious fundamentalists are doing, putting yourself on a higher moral, social or intellectual pedestal than your audience. It does not work that way.

Even in the biblical story of Jesus, he did not confront the people or the establishment, he worked within it. He only brough together people of like minds to propagate his views. Same goes for Mohammad, he did not confront Christianity and Judaism that was already establish, he worked within it.

They way to achieve anything is not through your confrontational attitude, you will only breed only anger, resistance and resentment. To make any impact you will need to institutionalize your methods.
By attacking other people's beliefs You are not impacting any knowledge, and you will not gain anything.

As i always say, you should concentrate more educating people about your beliefs and views than concentrating on attacking that of others. Those that would listen would listen and there is nothing you can do for those that will not listen. Even in the scientific community attacking the views of others without expounding your own is frowned at.

Also, it is not possible for people to throw away what they believe from childhood just like that, because Huxley said so. Their lives/ thoughts/dress code/food revolves around their religion, if you take that away without substituting it with an alternative, they would become disoriented, which would be a worse position than when they were a religious fanatic, you might as well kill the person.

Religion is like a very addictive drug, if you suddenly withdraw a drug from someone who has been addicted since childhood, you will kill the individual. You can only withdraw the drug by substituting it with a less harmful drug, before gradually withdrawing it altogether. It takes time, patience and perseverance.

Let me give you an example.

Instead of attacking Pataki, Correct the wrong impression he has about moses writing the book of Genesis, and encourage him to read biblical history. The Author of the book of Genesis (or any other book for that matter is UNKNOWN). Furthermore according to critical analysis, the book of genesis could not have been written by one author due to at least three different writing styles contained in genesis. Also if moses was the author of Genesis, he could not have recorded his own death and post death events.

So you try to educate
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by t0kunb0(m): 10:47am On Jul 29, 2008
@ Missy

i aint here 2 condem or support Hux. . .jst playin around. u c it as an "obvious reason" due 2 reason lyk ur background, environment, family et al. . .but he dont. it's lyk giving a blind dude a brand new ferrari & he jst aint trippin. . .is he dumb 4 not drullin or is d ferrari not impressiv enuff?

y'all shld learn 2 take it eazy, it aint compulsory 2 "convert" d other fellow nor c him any less

wont b surprisd if Hux rili ends up a "servant". . .most of 'em du grin
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by MissyB1(m): 10:52am On Jul 29, 2008
I am taking it easy with him(ve u 4gotten he's GONNA B MA BRUV IN CHRIST smday) cool
Yea,its nt compulsory to convert(bhut like i said d "LOVE" we ve for him jst can't let us let go) grin
Sooner or later,he has to make d decision.

Plus, yea he's sure going to serve d ALMIGHTY smday.
IF SAUL COULD,WHY WON'T HUXLEY
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by huxley(m): 11:23am On Jul 29, 2008
wirinet:

Huxley,
I still believe firmly, that other people's views, ideas and culture should be respected. And i say if you do not then you are making the same religious fundamentalists are doing, putting yourself on a higher moral, social or intellectual pedestal than your audience. It does not work that way.

Even in the biblical story of Jesus, he did not confront the people or the establishment, he worked within it. He only brough together people of like minds to propagate his views. Same goes for Mohammad, he did not confront Christianity and Judaism that was already establish, he worked within it.

They way to achieve anything is not through your confrontational attitude, you will only breed only anger, resistance and resentment. To make any impact you will need to institutionalize your methods.
By attacking other people's beliefs You are not impacting any knowledge, and you will not gain anything.

As i always say, you should concentrate more educating people about your beliefs and views than concentrating on attacking that of others. Those that would listen would listen and there is nothing you can do for those that will not listen. Even in the scientific community attacking the views of others without expounding your own is frowned at.

Also, it is not possible for people to throw away what they believe from childhood just like that, because Huxley said so. Their lives/ thoughts/dress code/food revolves around their religion, if you take that away without substituting it with an alternative, they would become disoriented, which would be a worse position than when they were a religious fanatic, you might as well kill the person.

Religion is like a very addictive drug, if you suddenly withdraw a drug from someone who has been addicted since childhood, you will kill the individual. You can only withdraw the drug by substituting it with a less harmful drug, before gradually withdrawing it altogether. It takes time, patience and perseverance.

Instead of attacking Pataki, Correct the wrong impression he has about moses writing the book of Genesis, and encourage him to read biblical history. The Author of the book of Genesis (or any other book for that matter is UNKNOWN). Furthermore according to critical analysis, the book of genesis could not have been written by one author due to at least three different writing styles contained in genesis. Also if moses was the author of Genesis, he could not have recorded his own death and post death events.

So you try to educate

Good post, but we have two points of difference. You say other peoples' views should be respected. I say views are not deserving of respect, but people are.

If your general premise was that views should be respected, then the Nigerian tribe that abandoned its twins in the forest should have had their views and beliefs respected by the Christianising evangelist, correct?

The various tribes in the world that practises cannibalism should have their views respected?

Tribes that practise ritual genital mutilation should have this vile belief respected.

Basically, no beliefs or practice should be condemned? On that basis how would humans make progress?

How would you persuade someone to change their view if you do not show them that their current view is wrong? If their existing beliefs and the new beliefs are equally valid, what is the motivation for abandoning the existing beliefs.

I disagree with you views about the methods of Jesus.

Was it not JEsus who entered into the temple and turned over tables?

Was it not Jesus who said he was going to destroy and recreate in three days?

Was it not Jesus who called his opponents hypocrites?

Where do we see Jesus working cooperatively with his opponents?
Re: @ Huxley: What Is Your Gain? by morpheus24: 1:28pm On Jul 29, 2008
wirinet:

Huxley,

So you try to educate

wirinet

He still don't get it. However I am aware Huxley is intelligent enough to know controversy sparks more responses and is using that to his advantage.

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Fool Says There Is No God – Na Me Talk Am! / Is Former Nigerian President, Obasanjo A Pastor? / Prophetic Declarations Against Year 2015: Bishop David O. Oyedepo Prophesies...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.