Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,022 members, 7,818,024 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:02 AM

Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana - Foreign Affairs (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana (16112 Views)

. / Luxembourg Becomes First Country With Gay PM And Deputy / Members Of Uruguay's Parliament Have Passed A Bill To Legalise Marijuana. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Bimpe29: 8:07pm On Dec 11, 2013
What a powerful catalyst for a massive madness.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 8:07pm On Dec 11, 2013
this will boost thier economy smokers allover the world
will migrate to uruguay for maraton smoking.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 8:16pm On Dec 11, 2013
khattab02: I hope they will also be able to build more psychiatrics and rehabilitation homes?
Abeg go siddon with that bullshiit. There is ZERO EVIDENCE that cannabis causes mental problems. Stop propagating myth.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Airforce1(m): 8:17pm On Dec 11, 2013
Naija bois oya business don come
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 8:17pm On Dec 11, 2013
khattab02: I hope they will also be able to build more psychiatrics and rehabilitation homes?
Abeg go siddon with that bullshiit. There is ZERO EVIDENCE that cannabis causes mental problems. Stop propagating ignorance.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 11, 2013
Bimpe 29: What a powerful catalyst for a massive madness.

Cannabis does not cause madness. Wake up to the 21st century. Study a few medical reports online and stop being a dinosaur. Knowledge is free nowadays.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 8:24pm On Dec 11, 2013
guymega: Comparing alcohol to weed is like comparing sleep to death. Weed tampers with the brain cell as a matter of fact it silently kills the users neurons. Yes u can argue that alcohol damages the liver but weed has a more devastating effect. Human beings are social animals, if you are having a problem with your kidney or liver it has little or no direct impact on the society compare to someone suffering from psychological breakdown or trauma.

You're talking absolute rubbish with no basis whatsoever in reality or current academic research. Fact is alchohol is far more dangerous to humans and has caused more disease and death than cannabis ever can in a million years. There is NO known link between adult cannabis use and any adverse medical condition. All research conducted has yielded NO LINKS. Stop propagating myth and ignorance.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Guidette(f): 8:25pm On Dec 11, 2013
ROSSIKE:
Abeg go siddon with that bullshiit. There is ZERO EVIDENCE that cannabis causes mental problems. Stop propagating ignorance.
Actually studies have shown that Marijuana can induce psychosis in schizophrenic patients and people who are predisposed to schizophrenia.
The main thing is that with every drug, there is some risk attached to taking it and should be used in moderation. Be it alcohol or even paracetamol. My 2 cents.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by broswilli: 8:26pm On Dec 11, 2013
Holland is the capital city of marijuana. It is also described as the smokers heaven. Critics describe this country as the most immoral country in the world because marijuana and prostitution are legal
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 8:26pm On Dec 11, 2013
Guidette:
Actually studies have shown that Marijuana can induce psychosis in schizophrenic patients and people who are predisposed to schizophrenia.
The main thing is that with every drug, there is some risk attached to taking it and should be used in moderation. Be it alcohol or even paracetamol. My 2 cents.

Operative words are 'schizophrenic' & 'predisposed'. I'm talking of normal healthy adults ie 99% of the pop.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 8:29pm On Dec 11, 2013
broswilli: Holland is the capital city of marijuana. It is also described as the smokers heaven. Critics describe this country as the most immoral country in the world because marijuana and prostitution are legal

Because the critics are neanderthals who need to be thrown back to the stone age where they belong.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Guidette(f): 8:29pm On Dec 11, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Operative word is 'predisposed'. I'm talking of normal healthy adults ie 99% of the pop.
Yeah.. but don't paint it as a wonder drug with no side effects. I am saying that all drugs have side effects no matter how good they are. Long term weed use is associated with reduced motivation. That's why potheads are seen as slackers.
I am medical student and approve of weed for recreational use but I still maintain that people be careful when they use any drug of any sort... be it for medicinal or recreational use.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Horus(m): 8:31pm On Dec 11, 2013
[size=19pt]10 Reasons Marijuana is Better For You Than Alcohol[/size]

1. Marijuana Curbs Brain Damage Caused by Drinking
Unless you’re seriously in denial about alcohol’s negative effects, you’re probably aware that alcohol is less than good for your brain. Marijuana, however, may actually help prevent alcohol-associated brain damage and treat depression.

2. Marijuana May Help Treat Cancers Caused by Alcohol
Alcohol consumption is carcinogenic, and contributes to head and neck, breast, liver, esophageal and colorectal cancers. In fact, more than 19,500 cancer deaths in 2009 were deemed alcohol-related. Cannabis has been proven to help treat cancer and its symptoms.

3. Violent Behavior vs. Utter Chillness
Whether it’s used as an excuse for or directly causes aggression, alcohol more than any other substance promotes violent behavior. In case you’re unaware, marijuana tends to chill people out.

4. Alcohol Addiction is Extremely Dangerous
Alcoholism is an international problem, and withdrawal can lead to death or permanent brain damage. Cannabis addiction exists, but it is less harmful and generally less severe than addiction to other substances.

5. One Kills People. Guess Which One.
The first four points highlight alcohol’s lethality, but they don’t tell the whole story. Alcohol abuse kills 2.5 million people worldwide each year. The green stuff has led to exactly zero recorded deaths. Ever.

6. Alcohol Prevents Muscle Growth
Alcohol can prevent muscle growth in a variety of ways, from decreasing testosterone levels to interrupting sleep. Weed doesn’t directly affect muscle growth at all.

7. One Has Legitimate Medicinal Uses
Marijuana has a long, long list of physician-approved medical uses and the list is growing. Other than red wine’s ability to lower blood pressure, alcohol does just about nothing positive for a person’s health.

8. Drunk Sex is Sloppy, High Sex is Tingly
Alcohol decreases your ability to perceive stimuli. That can be a good thing when you’ve just faceplanted at a party and want to play it off like nothing. Losing feeling when you’re getting intimate, however, is pretty lame. Enter marijuana, which, as our very own Hypatia Lee can attest increases sensitivity and can improve sex.

9. Long Term Alcohol Abuse Could Kill You
Long-term alcohol abuse can lead to liver failure or other life-threatening conditions. Marijuana’s effects over a lifetime are still not entirely understood, but they do not include any of the potentially lethal ailments caused by alcohol.

10. Drunks Decisions Bad, High Decisions Slow
Alcohol leads to risky decision-making, period. That can be fun sometimes but dangerous at others. Scientist’s have yet to fully grasp marijuana’s effects on decision making, but this study shows that smokers more or less come to the same conclusions as sober peeps. They just take a little bit longer to arrive at those conclusions.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Guidette(f): 8:36pm On Dec 11, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Operative words are 'schizophrenic' & 'predisposed'. I'm talking of normal healthy adults ie 99% of the pop.
I forgot to even add... how do you even know if you are predisposed to schizophrenia or not? Nobody goes for gentic testing before taking weed. So I am just saying..... weed is still a drug that can have potentially bad side effects on people. It is not as bad as other drugs but nonetheless be careful.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 8:38pm On Dec 11, 2013
Guidette:
Yeah.. but don't paint it as a wonder drug with no side effects. I am saying that all drugs have side effects no matter how good they are. Long term weed use is associated with reduced motivation. That's why potheads are seen as slackers.

''Reduced motivation'' is a byword for ''less materialistic''. Less inclined to join the ''rat race''. More inclined to think independently of the crowd. To think holistically as opposed to selfishly. Not sure those are necessarily bad things. From a materialist perspective yes, but there's more to life than a materialist, money-first perspective.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Waladade4luv(m): 8:42pm On Dec 11, 2013
Na lie jooor they don legalize am for holland since
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Guidette(f): 8:52pm On Dec 11, 2013
ROSSIKE:

''Reduced motivation'' is a byword for ''less materialistic''. Less inclined to join the ''rat race''. More inclined to think independently of the crowd. To think holistically as opposed to selfishly. Not sure those are necessarily bad things. From a materialist perspective yes, but there's more to life than a materialist, money-first perspective.

Lol, so paranoia and reduced need to improve oneself is a good thing? Anyways ride on my brotha. No hard feelings. Im not against anybody who smokes weed, infact I know a lot of friends that are in med school with me that smoke weed regularly and are doing well. But I have also seen first hand weed psychosis. So.... Im just saying... y'all need to be careful.
Also, why would anyone want to be addicted to a substance
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by obyrich(m): 9:06pm On Dec 11, 2013
Guidette:
Haha!! Anyone who knows me will tell you I speak my mind and not care whose ox is gored cool
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 9:06pm On Dec 11, 2013
Guidette:
Lol, so paranoia and reduced need to improve oneself is a good thing?

Stop making baseless insinuations about 'paranoia' and 'reduced need to improve blah blah'. Those are culture-based judgement calls not grounded on any scientific or medical foundation, or any credible, empirical research.

Also, why would anyone want to be addicted to a substance

Since when did a plant become a ''substance''? Why are people addicted to egusi and bitter leaf?
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by hardeyincah(m): 9:07pm On Dec 11, 2013
Don karizma: As they are ready to invest in this project, let them be ready to build more psychiatric hospital because they will start having mentally challenge people in their country. When others are busy looking for better things to produce and export, they are busy enacting laws for marijuana. Very soon they will start looking for countries to export it to.

I know people like Terry G will like to visit this country.
TERRY G and DON KARIZIMA
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Guidette(f): 9:15pm On Dec 11, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Stop making baseless insinuations about 'paranoia' and 'reduced need to improve blah blah'. Those are culture-based judgement calls not grounded on any scientific or medical foundation, or any credible, empirical research.

Since when did a plant become a ''substance''? Why are people addicted to egusi and bitter leaf?
Lol, I will leave you with this:
St John's Wort: Plant used as a drug to treat depression
Agbo: Used as a drug to treat all sorts of ailments
Heroin/Morphine: Derived from poppy plant and used as drugs
Quinine: Drug derived from bark of trees used as a drug
Tobacco: A plant used for smoking
...... Plants can be drugs too. Don't pretend that since weed is a plant, that means it is all good and cannot have side effects. I have repeated myself for the 20th time, I DON'T THINK WEED IS BAD BUT PEOPLE NEED TO BE CAREFUL WHEN USING IT! I am not going to argue with you any further. Goodday to you mister.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by ignis: 9:16pm On Dec 11, 2013
I know Nigeria will soon copy this rubbish and legalise it too.
Because Nigeria knows how to copy bad things.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 9:29pm On Dec 11, 2013
Guidette:
Lol, I will leave you with this:
St John's Wort: Plant used as a drug to treat depression
Agbo: Used as a drug to treat all sorts of ailments
Heroin/Morphine: Derived from poppy plant and used as drugs
Quinine: Drug derived from bark of trees used as a drug
Tobacco: A plant used for smoking
...... Plants can be drugs too. Don't pretend that since weed is a plant, that means it is all good and cannot have side effects.

What are the PROVEN side effects? Don't come with hearsay, or moralistic brouhaha. What are the FACTS? You call yourself a medical person yet you seem more adept at propagating unproven innuendo. You need to separate your cultural/religious background from your profession.

I have repeated myself for the 20th time, I DON'T THINK WEED IS BAD BUT PEOPLE NEED TO BE CAREFUL WHEN USING IT!

Careful of WHAT then?

If you know it is not bad then WHAT should people be ''careful'' about when using it?
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by shushu211: 9:50pm On Dec 11, 2013
they should also start expanding their psyciatric homes
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by cannonnier(m): 9:56pm On Dec 11, 2013
can't wait.

Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by coogar: 10:45pm On Dec 11, 2013
guymega: Comparing alcohol to weed is like comparing sleep to death. Weed tampers with the brain cell as a matter of fact it silently kills the users neurons. Yes u can argue that alcohol damages the liver but weed has a more devastating effect. Human beings are social animals, if you are having a problem with your kidney or liver it has little or no direct impact on the society compare to someone suffering from psychological breakdown or trauma.

shhhhhh - alcohol kill people more than marijuana & class A drugs. any substance can kill if abused. even food kills when you take too much so you are barely scratching the surface here. if moderately used, marijuana is as dangerous as a glass of red wine.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by TayoT: 10:55pm On Dec 11, 2013
osymerga: The Op should keep quite.Stop misinforming people please.Did you know that marijuana and prostitution has been legal in Holland for a long time now ? Go and do your research very well,peace. Uruguay is not the first,please.

Thank you o my fellow nairalander.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Genovese(m): 10:56pm On Dec 11, 2013
Nice one
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Uthman75: 11:23pm On Dec 11, 2013
Better than gay and lesbianism.
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by Nobody: 12:10am On Dec 12, 2013
Marijuana use can have physical,
psychological, and spiritual benefits:
PHYSICAL BENEFITS
The Physical benefits of marijuana are far-reaching,
widespread, and long-term. Because of the way
marijuana impacts the Autonomic Nervous System
which expands the breath and relaxes the body, its
potential for health and healing are enormous, and
have been completely unrealized by Western Medicine.
The following passages are excerpted from The Benefits
of Marijuana: Physical, Psychological, & Spiritual :
The simultaneous opposing action of marijuana
is akin to balancing our entire system. Such balance in
the ANS can be understood as a charged equilibrium,
which is defined as “well-being” experienced as
physiological expansion and psychological contentment
and responsible for health. (p. 29)
The net effect is a highly functioning, yet
relaxed, system with better fuel. This is why, with
marijuana, the feeling is both relaxed and alert, which
explains, in part, the experience of being “stoned.”
Normally the body vacillates between the two opposing
modes of being. The effects of the complicated
marijuana molecule somehow actually integrate these
two modes, simultaneously, as absolutely nothing else
does. (p. 30)
Although specific effects of marijuana in the
body are well known, each has been taken in isolation
without noting that both sides of the Autonomic
Nervous System are conjoined. Instead of a perspective
that sees the whole person and the simple holistic
effect of marijuana, a myopic and reductionistic method
of measurement has been employed, and marijuana’s
profound meaning for health has been lost. (p. 31)
Marijuana, by its effect on the ANS, enhances
both sides of the brain. Through increased Sympathetic
action, left brain perception is heightened, while, at the
same time, right brain reception is enhanced. This is a
physiological fact. More blood, and cleaner blood, is
sent to the brain, as in the “fight or flight” reaction.
And because of Parasympathetic dilation of capillaries,
which signifies relaxation, the blood supply to the
entire brain is increased. More blood means more
oxygen and consequently clearer and broader thinking.
Since marijuana works on both sides of the brain, the
most noticeable effect, in our fast-paced mind set, is
one of slowing down, which blends the thrusting
competitive attitude with the contrasting viewpoint of
nurturance to arrive at a more cooperative balance.
This experience is, however, not innate to marijuana,
but to the mental set of the subject. When we are
mellow, tired, and relaxed, marijuana is energizing and
affords alertness, determination, and even strength.
This variation in the physiological effects has caused
great confusion from an either/or framework. And the
balancing nature of marijuana (both/and) has not been
understood. It both stimulates and relaxes,
simultaneously, which equates to an unpredictable
variation in effect that is solely dependent on the state
of its subject. When the system is sluggish, as with
natives in warm climates (Africa, India, South
America), marijuana has been used extensively and for
centuries to energize it:
A common practice among laborers... have a puff of a
ganja (marijuana) pipe to produce well-being, relieve
fatigue, stimulate appetite. (Chopra and Chopra, 1939,
p.3)Marijuana use can have physical,
PHYSICAL BENEFITS
does. (p. 30)
p.3)
Marijuana use can have physical,
PHYSICAL BENEFITS
does. (p. 30)
p.3)
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by ShyDare(m): 12:10am On Dec 12, 2013
Re: Uruguay Become The First Country To Legalise Marijuana by ShyDare(m): 12:11am On Dec 12, 2013
Dia 'll b a rise in d numba of mad pple in montevideo.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

White House Restores CNN Journalist’s Credentials, With Warning / European Leaders Warn Against Ban On Energy Imports From Russia / 9 Killed, 60 Injured Yesterday In US Bridge Collapse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.