Stats: 3,154,070 members, 7,821,677 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:45 PM

Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. - Travel (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. (40531 Views)

5 Most Underrated Cities In Nigeria / 12 Most Loved Cities In Nigeria / 11 Most Developed Towns/cities In The SE. Which Is The Most Beautiful?(pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Chartey(m): 11:06pm On Dec 14, 2013
ngozievergreen:

the largest mkt in west Africa is in Onitsha.
Nnewi international automobile mkt is the 3rd largest motorcycle mkt in the world fact.
How dare u talk down on onitsha?
Debatable
The Kejetia market is the largest
single market in West Africa with
over 10,000 stores and stalls.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kejetia,_Kumasi,_Ghana
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by ceejay4real(m): 11:18pm On Dec 14, 2013
U ar just a typical YORUBA BIGOT! Always reasoning thru una anus! SMH!
abbeysteph: Hahahahahahahahah oh gush,which commercial activities happens in onitsha that can't be compared to lagos n kano?chaii dis eastern villagers n dea villagetic reasoning.guy park well jor
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by ceejay4real(m): 11:45pm On Dec 14, 2013
Dis Ghanaian SUPREMACIST will u pls shut d fvck up?! Even d birds of the air knw dat Onitsha is bigger than Kumasi in everything Yes, I mean EVERYTHING!!! So carry dat ur Ghana fever komot 4 here abeg! Ghana is 2 bush 2 be compared 2 Naija! We ar in d same league with South Africa & not midgets like u Ok?! So Fvck off man!!!
Chartey:
Debatable
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kejetia,_Kumasi,_Ghana

Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by ceejay4real(m): 11:48pm On Dec 14, 2013
PH, Kano & Enugu/Kaduna. IMHO though.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Chartey(m): 12:28am On Dec 15, 2013
ceejay4real: Dis Ghanaian SUPREMACIST will u pls shut d fvck up?! Even d birds of the air knw dat Onitsha is bigger than Kumasi in everything Yes, I mean EVERYTHING!!! So carry dat ur Ghana fever komot 4 here abeg! Ghana is 2 bush 2 be compared 2 Naija! We ar in d same league with South Africa & not midgets like u Ok?! So Fvck off man!!!
Sorry o bros, abeg dog bite u?
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Nobody: 12:57am On Dec 15, 2013
Why are people listing Kano? I heard houseflies buzz people around on the streets of Kano! Sh*t!

Thank you.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by ChildofChukwu(m): 1:22am On Dec 15, 2013
Calabar
Port Harcourt
Owerri
Kaduna
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Oluabayomi1(m): 4:18am On Dec 15, 2013
Alikaxon: For those that have travelled far and wide across major cities in Nigeria. There is no doubt that Lagos and Abuja are the two biggest cities in Nigeria. Exluding these two giant cities, I've fathomed that here is where the problem lies; many Nigerians don't know the exact next biggest city(s) after this two mentioned above. In other countries, their citizens can list the top 10 cities in the perfect order without anyone disputing it. But here in Nigeria, If mr. A should list it's top 3, mr. B will dispute it and list another different top 3 cities entirely. I think this arises because we are using various and differ criteria according to our perception. Let us all use this simple criteria: Level of industrial presence, level of infrastructural presence, largeness and population size. I think this are the three major criterias for rating a city, so with these criteria, any named list here can be justified. I woun't name my list in other to be neutral. Your lists are welcomed. At the end of the day, the most popularly supported list(s) are the final top 3(three). Cheers!!!
Base on ur mode of assessment,i think Abuja should b left out now while Kano and PHC/Kaduna are brought in.
If u stil want d fourth one then,BAMA
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Rexyl(m): 6:08am On Dec 15, 2013
Dr_OBD: By population, Abuja is not even close. Most people are confusing states for cities and also using their personal experience. This is what I found when I searched the internet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nigerian_cities_by_population

This is a list of the largest cities in Nigeria by population.[1]

Kano
Rank City State. Population 255,619 2006 population
1 Lagos Lagos State 8029200
2 Kano Kano State 3248700
3 Ibadan Oyo State 3078400
4 Kaduna Kaduna State 1458900
5 Port Harcourt Rivers State 1053900
6 Benin City Edo State 1051600
7 Maiduguri Borno State 971700
8 Zaria Kaduna State 898900
9 Aba Abia State 784500
10 Ilorin Kwara State 756400
11 Jos Plateau State 742100
12 Ogbomosho Oyo State 726300
13 Oyo Oyo State 620400
14 Enugu Enugu State 593300
15 Abeokuta Ogun State 529700
16 Onitsha Anambra State 509500
17 Warri Delta State 500900
18 Sokoto Sokoto State 500500
19 Okene Kogi State 444900
20 Calabar Cross River State 431200
21 Osogbo Osun State 421000
22 Katsina Katsina State 387000
23 Akure Ondo State 369700
24 Ife Osun State 313400
25 Bauchi Bauchi State 291600
26 Iseyin Oyo State 286700
27 Minna Niger State 270600
28 Makurdi Benue State 249000
29 Owo Ondo State 243000
30 Ado Ekiti Ekiti State 241200
31 Ilesa Osun State 233900
32 Gombe Gombe State 230900
33 Umuahia Abia State 230800
34 Ondo Ondo State 225800
35 Damaturu Yobe State 223000
36 Jimeta Adamawa State 218400
37 Ikot Ekpene Akwa Ibom State 209400
38 Gusau Zamfara State 201200
39 Mubi Adamawa State 198700
40 Sagamu Ogun State 191500
41 Owerri Imo State 187600
42 Ugep Cross River State 187000
43 Ijebu Ode Ogun State 186700
44 Ise Ekiti Ekiti State 167100
45 Gboko Benue State 166400
46 Ilawe Ekiti Ekiti State 160700
48 Ikare Ondo State 160600
49 Abuja FCT 159900
50 Bida Niger State 159100
51 Okpoko Anambra State 152900
52 Awka Anambra State 152300
53 Sapele Delta State 151000
54 Ila Osun State 150700
55 Shaki Oyo State 150300
56 Ijero Ekiti State 147300
57 Otukpo Benue State 136800
58 Kisi Oyo State 130800
59 Buguma Rivers State 124200
60 Funtua Katsina State 122500
61 Abakaliki Ebonyi State 121700
62 Gbongan Osun State 117300
63 Lafia Nasarawa State 115500
64 Igboho Oyo State 115000
65 Amaigbo Abia State 111000
66 Gashua Yobe State 109600
67 Offa Kwara State 105700
68 Jalingo Taraba State 103600
69 Bama Borno State 102800
70 Uyo Akwa Ibom State 102400
71 Uromi Edo State 101400
72 Nsukka Enugu State 100700
73 Okigwe Imo State 100700
74 Modakeke Osun State 100500
Jump up ^ Cities and urban areas in Nigeria with population over 100,000
Categories: Populated places in NigeriaLists of cities by populationNigeria geography-related lists

Thanks this really showed that my calculation was accurate when I picked Ibadan to be the next city in the rank, esp going by the population and other economic potentials. Kano/Kaduna should first be cleansed from forces that believe education and modernisation is haram (sin), then we can talk about them.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Prowizy2(m): 6:39am On Dec 15, 2013
joker5180: is jigawa a city?

Ok jigawa is a street
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Prowizy2(m): 6:41am On Dec 15, 2013
Oma307: Shut up

Ur papa
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Chartey(m): 7:29am On Dec 15, 2013
all4naija: Why are people listing Kano? I heard houseflies buzz people around on the streets of Kano! Sh*t!

Thank you.
You heard wrong.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by sham8co(m): 7:30am On Dec 15, 2013
Kano. Rivers and onisha.

Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Chartey(m): 7:32am On Dec 15, 2013
Rexyl:

Thanks this really showed that my calculation was accurate when I picked Ibadan to be the next city in the rank, esp going by the population and other economic potentials. Kano/Kaduna should first be cleansed from forces that believe education and modernisation is haram (sin), then we can talk about them.
Honestly KD is more modern than Ibadan. Those "forces" are overhyped.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 15, 2013
eaxes:
You must ß smoking somethin †☺ mention onitsha Ãήϑ aba as top cities in Nigeria. Onitsha is J§† a market, the place is also chaotic Ãήϑ dirty. I ∂ōΩ̶̇'† know ̶̷̩̥̊͡a† infrastructure U̶̲̥̅̊ saw in Onitsha but i saw delapidated swallow Ãήϑ a war like zone. Same goes ƒ☺я Aba Ãήϑ pls stop mentionin Enugu. N☺ one knows Enugu outside Igboland. if U̶̲̥̅̊ mention PH am Ψi† U̶̲̥̅̊ on dat one but even PH ∂☺є§n'† make top 3 cities in Naij, mayb top 5.

if nobody knows Enugu outside igboland, I wonder who knows osogbo, akure, Ibadan, adoekiti, Abeokuta?
None of these places are more built up than onitsha
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by whizkidd: 7:47am On Dec 15, 2013
Given that there is no criteria for ranking cities, these lists are purely subjective. So theres no reason to bash anyone. Still, some of these posts are just imbecilic lol.

Anyways here goes my list. I think 3 is way too short a list being that there are so many competing cities in naija right now. So im listing 5. Also Im basing my ranking on planning/orderliness, economic potential, and cultural/touristic potential.

1. Port Harcourt: I've been here. It is a decent city but I wasnt blown away. Not planned, disappointing road networks, & mad traffic can frustrate. Still the presence of multinationals and their state income means that they have great economic potential. Night life is pretty good. Overall better than majority of Nigerian cities.

2. Kano: Significant because of its status as former regional hub. It has one of the biggest state economies and is actually decently planned (going from word of mouth). Culturally obviously, there is the christian/Muslim debacle.

3. Calabar: Small city but very clean, planned. They are attracting major foreign investments and seem poised to be a city to watch. GE is investing heavily there. There is a palm plantation being built. International style Golf Course. They have the international convention centre being built. Obudu. Tinapa (hopefully takes off someday).

4. Enugu: Havent been here but I here a lot of good things. Seems like the place in the East poised to take off. Going from pictures it seems to decently planned. I would actually like some Enugu ppl to tell me more about the economy there.

5. Ibadan: Obviously, I'm biased here because this is my hometown. But I think Ibadan is extremely underrated. Most don't know that IB is a top 5 economy in naija. Mostly as a holdover from its days as the Western region's capital. Also Lagos seems to be spilling over into IB as Lag is getting choked up. Planning wise, IB is a mess. Its basically a big slum but there are lots of gems within for those who know the city. Plus their are a lot of new projects going on. Real Estate, Hotels (4 points are on the way), infrastructure. Culturally its also picking up. Nightlife is picking up, conferences are coming etc. We just need the govt to keep up the work and invest heavily in planning and beautification.

Anyways there goes my list. Outty 3000.

Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by GHKWAME1: 9:09am On Dec 15, 2013
ceejay4real: Dis Ghanaian SUPREMACIST will u pls shut d fvck up?! Even d birds of the air knw dat Onitsha is bigger than Kumasi in everything Yes, I mean EVERYTHING!!! So carry dat ur Ghana fever komot 4 here abeg! Ghana is 2 bush 2 be compared 2 Naija! We ar in d same league with South Africa & not midgets like u Ok?! So Fvck off man!!!

Gentleman(presumably), I"m sorry but I could not ignore this. do you know
how incredible childish you are? Do you see how silly you sound. You sound so incoherent and confused. I am totally thrilled that you have taken yourself and your inane, defeatist logic out of this conversation..... All the poster sought to do was to provide a link to challenge your assertion, the least you could do was to provide a counter link... Anyhow since when did the "giant of Africa" begin to compete with South Africa?

Chartey:
Debatable
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/
Kejetia
,_Kumasi,_Ghana

Kejetia market is bigger than Onitsha, until anyone gives a counter link, he/she should accept it and go to Church.

Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Nobody: 9:51am On Dec 15, 2013
whizkidd: Given that there is no criteria for ranking cities, these lists are purely subjective. So theres no reason to bash anyone. Still, some of these posts are just imbecilic lol.

Anyways here goes my list. I think 3 is way too short a list being that there are so many competing cities in naija right now. So im listing 5. Also Im basing my ranking on planning/orderliness, economic potential, and cultural/touristic potential.

1. Port Harcourt: I've been here. It is a decent city but I wasnt blown away. Not planned, disappointing road networks, & mad traffic can frustrate. Still the presence of multinationals and their state income means that they have great economic potential. Night life is pretty good. Overall better than majority of Nigerian cities.

2. Kano: Significant because of its status as former regional hub. It has one of the biggest state economies and is actually decently planned (going from word of mouth). Culturally obviously, there is the christian/Muslim debacle.

3. Calabar: Small city but very clean, planned. They are attracting major foreign investments and seem poised to be a city to watch. GE is investing heavily there. There is a palm plantation being built. International style Golf Course. They have the international convention centre being built. Obudu. Tinapa (hopefully takes off someday).

4. Enugu: Havent been here but I here a lot of good things. Seems like the place in the East poised to take off. Going from pictures it seems to decently planned. I would actually like some Enugu ppl to tell me more about the economy there.

5. Ibadan: Obviously, I'm biased here because this is my hometown. But I think Ibadan is extremely underrated. Most don't know that IB is a top 5 economy in naija. Mostly as a holdover from its days as the Western region's capital. Also Lagos seems to be spilling over into IB as Lag is getting choked up. Planning wise, IB is a mess. Its basically a big slum but there are lots of gems within for those who know the city. Plus their are a lot of new projects going on. Real Estate, Hotels (4 points are on the way), infrastructure. Culturally its also picking up. Nightlife is picking up, conferences are coming etc. We just need the govt to keep up the work and invest heavily in planning and beautification.

Some few yorubas are reasonable.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by oluamid(m): 10:50am On Dec 15, 2013
Chuksphil2go:

nne dnt mind dos lazybones every Yoruba person is claiming to be a lagosian bc none of their cities is existing.
Ibadan dat use to be the capital of forma western region and biggest indigenous city in Africa is now the bedrock of poverty,illitracy,dirtiness and wrechetedness,can u compare Ibadan wit sister city in SE Enugu....lol
if not lagos the entire SW is a pooh,dey all dependent in lagos,none is sustaining itself like Abia=Aba(trading,commerce,industries +) Umuahia(civil service +education).
Anambra(Onitsha,Nnewi=commerce,industries,trading,manufacturing,etc)Awka(civil service + education).
Imo(Owerri-Tourism,Education,commerce,entertainment etc)
Ebonyi(Agriculture and solid minerals)

I'm sure when you posted the above you read your post and laughed for a good five minutes. If not, you need to travel bro, and very fast.

Visit other parts of Nigeria. A few glances from the window of the bus while traveling to Lagos or Abuja is not the same as actual visitation. Visit places and you will be surprised what you will learn.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by franksunny(m): 12:05pm On Dec 15, 2013
Alikaxon: Benin city. Port harcourt. Agbor.
See what sentiment have done to you, judge thyself brother

Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:30pm On Dec 16, 2013
ngozievergreen:
Some few yorubas are reasonable.

Shut up ode!

Here's basically your problem, you think 60% of your 20 is more than 50% of our 100.

No matter how many times you knock your head on the wall, ibadan will still be better than your enugu.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Nobody: 5:35pm On Dec 16, 2013
whizkidd:

Dude, you obviously don't know cross river or calabar. I'll get to abuja from akure before anyone from tinapa in calabar can get to obudu in obanliku.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Rexyl(m): 8:51am On Dec 17, 2013
Chartey:
Honestly KD is more modern than Ibadan. Those "forces" are overhyped.

Kaduna might enjoy an advantage of physical planning but it may not be a match to economic potentials that Ibadan present now and years ahead. Gbam!
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Chartey(m): 9:48am On Dec 17, 2013
Rexyl:

Kaduna might enjoy an advantage of physical planning but it may not be a match to economic potentials that Ibadan present now and years ahead. Gbam!
What economic potentials? Tell me
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Nobody: 2:02pm On Dec 17, 2013
django1:

Shut up ode!

Here's basically your problem, you think 60% of your 20 is more than 50% of our 100.

No matter how many times you knock your head on the wall, ibadan will still be better than your enugu.

Joke of the year.
hahahaha

Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Chidonsky: 3:59pm On Dec 17, 2013
Emyben:

Is Agbor a town or a village? how can you mention Agbor when names of Nigerian Cities are mentioned? i tire ooo..tekiteasy bro
Agbor is a town,get your fact right...Agbor was deprive the capital of delta because of maria babaginda..Outside the fact that Asaba is the capital,they wouldn't have measure with Agbor,the only rival would have been warri.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
1. portharcourt
2. Aba, abia state
3.Benin city
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Klinee: 9:15pm On Dec 17, 2013
Chidonsky: Agbor is a town,get your fact right...Agbor was deprive the capital of delta because of maria babaginda..Outside the fact that Asaba is the capital,they wouldn't have measure with Agbor,the only rival would have been warri.
shut up! Agbor is a village though its fast growing. If not becos of mariam babangada the capital would hv go to warri ok. Ar u nt ashame by mentioning agbor here.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Sakes: 6:32pm On Dec 20, 2013
You certainly need to understand the difference between a city and State. Aside that you should not be assessing the nature of city per Organisation, arrangements etc. It more goes per. Structural presence,proximity, commercial activites and housing.... Some of the regions you enlisted are either Sub-urbs or just towns....A detached estate is no City....
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Chidonsky: 6:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
Klinee: shut up! Agbor is a village though its fast growing. If not becos of mariam babangada the capital would hv go to warri ok. Ar u nt ashame by mentioning agbor here.
can't u drive your point without insulting me?...well all thesame i wasn't saying it should been listed among cities,going by the standard set in enlisting cities...i was only trying to kick against the fact that you said is not a town...Next time talk with humour.
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by eeeeeee: 7:48am On Dec 23, 2013
Rexyl:

With an airport like this Ibadan just does not qualify.
https://www.nairaland.com/1564733/photos-ibadan-airport/2#20403640
Re: Excluding Lagos And Abuja; List The 3 Top Next Cities In Nigeria. by Rexyl(m): 10:10am On Dec 23, 2013
The pics might not show the real situation of Ibadan Airport as at present. May be this post was as a result of hatred against the city. Let investors go round the cities being recommended. You will be surprised that they would not think twice in their choice of Ibadan. Investors should come and access the potentials by themselves. Many things count for reasons why Ibadan will always be suitable for siting of industries.

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Easiest Way Of Getting Permanent Residence In Europe / Abuja Airport Road Superhighway: GEJ's Unmatchable Imprint: Pictures & Video / Alaska Airlines Surprise Travelers With Sweaters And T-shirts On Christmas Day

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78