Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,157 members, 7,815,031 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood (9355 Views)

EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood / Over 16,156 Die Annually From HIV/AIDS In Benue State. / 98,000 Nigerian Women Die Annually From Firewood Smoke - WHO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by dridowu: 5:18pm On Dec 11, 2013
No fewer than 98,000 Nigerian women die annually from smokes inhaled during cooking with firewoods,Mrs Bahijjahtu Abubakar, an official of the Federal Ministry of Environment, has said.

Abubakar, who is the National Coordinator, Renewable Energy Programme, told newsmen at the official launch of RUWES and the 4th Annual Nigeria Renewable Energy Day in Abuja today. She said the death from the sector contributed to 10per cent of global annual death, according to the World Health Organisation (WHO) study.

“The WHO says that over 98,000 Nigerian women die annually from the use of firewood. “If a woman cooks breakfast, lunch and dinner, it is
equivalent to smoking between three and 20 packets of cigarette a day. “The death from this sector contributes to 10 percent of global annual death and it is bigger than tuberculosis, HIV and AIDS and malaria combined,
and it is only killing women.’’

The coordinator said there was so much energy poverty in Nigeria, especially in the rural areas in a
country that was blessed with abundant energy resources. She said there was no way Nigeria would be contributing 10 per cent to global annual death without addressing it.

According to her, the ministry has just launched a Rural Women Energy Security (RUWES) programme to prevent the trend and to create awareness on the dangers of using dirty energy. Abubakar said the ministry had registered over 1.6 million Nigerians under the RUWES programme. She, however, said the ministry had been harnessing renewable energy to provide clean
cooking energy for the rural women.“Harnessing renewable energy is a tool to mitigate the impact of climate change tool, to address poverty and it is about economic empowerment and also contribution to the environment.

“So, we are looking at the lighting solution, heating and cooking solution.’’ The coordinator said the ministry had been reaching out to women-based organisations through RUWES. “We are reaching out to faith-based organisations
such as the Federation of Moslem women and the Catholic Women Organisation. “We hope through the market women organisation
and all the professionals that are women- based, we are reaching out to every nook and cranny of Nigeria.’’

On the affordability of the cooking stoves provided under RUWES, she said it would be a single digit interest rate for the facilities.“The women have two years to pay back. All they need is to belong to cooperative and they are given lighting, cooking and heating solution facility to use. “A woman can get a stove and pay over seven months and we know that the poorest woman will be able to afford it. She concluded

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2013/12/98-000-women-die-annually-smokes-inhaled-cooking-firewood/
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by bluerange(f): 6:33pm On Dec 11, 2013
and it is believed that meals prepared using firewood tastes better.

1 Like

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by nekaa(f): 4:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
who ask them to do this research? eitherways it wont stop them from cooking on the firewood o

2 Likes

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by bigx(m): 4:19pm On Dec 12, 2013
really?

1 Like

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by nerodenero: 4:20pm On Dec 12, 2013
Death must come anyhow but 98,000 from smoke inhaled is alarming!!!
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Kingtim(m): 4:23pm On Dec 12, 2013
Ok
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by zubimete(f): 4:24pm On Dec 12, 2013
Na lie lie talk. Me i no gree, my village na fire wood dem d use cook bt i neva see or hear.
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by livingstoneony(m): 4:25pm On Dec 12, 2013
Big azzz lie jor.
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by israel007: 4:25pm On Dec 12, 2013
Who tell them.

My own mama still dey alive and well
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Olastep(m): 4:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
Enough of all this propanganda

5 million die yearly through HIV

3 million die yearly through phone usage

9 million die yearly through infected water

6 million die yearly through cancer

If all these are true, that means we would have been exterminated.

They say, 100 millions Nigerians live less than 1$. C'mon sense will prop up that it is meant to riducule Nigeria.

I say, less than 5000 Nigerians live less than 1$. That is 0.000000002%.

Lets debate it if you can!

Now the most ridiculous, 98000 die yearly through firewood.

Get lost with your crude research!

6 Likes

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Nobody: 4:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
Yinmu
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by NnamdiN: 4:26pm On Dec 12, 2013
My grandma is 90+ and still kicking. Prefers firewood cooking.

Ehm that's the only cooking method she knows

2 Likes

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Orythoke: 4:27pm On Dec 12, 2013
[quote author=bluerange]and it is believed that meals prepared using firewood tastes better.[
Infact it taste so good dan cookin wit stove
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by PAGAN9JA(m): 4:29pm On Dec 12, 2013
In my village we always use firewood.

I love the smell and cooks food better in it.

The key is to let proper ventilation for the smoke to escape.

1 Like

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by nifemi25(m): 4:29pm On Dec 12, 2013
Na lie jooor, na fire wood my gramma dey used and she still dey alive.

Stupid research

2 Likes

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by twogood: 4:31pm On Dec 12, 2013
But life expectancy has long decreased even with increased gas use?
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by princemedico: 4:32pm On Dec 12, 2013
Sometimes I wonder where these statistics come from, if 98000 die from using firewood only. We no for remain for this country.
This is one among many stupid statistics like;
Cancer kills 12 women every hour in Nigeria, Pneumonia kills 8 children daily in Nigeria. Please, check it out, if this is for the 2 above only what about malaria, typhoid, accident et.c.
Edited

1 Like

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by agrovick(m): 4:33pm On Dec 12, 2013
Thats quite high
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 12, 2013
Lie jare, 98000, so they did autopsy or what? Where did they get their data frm?

1 Like

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Nobody: 4:34pm On Dec 12, 2013
princemedico: Sometimes I wonder where these statistics come, if 98000 die from using firewood only. We no for remain for this country.
No mind dem

1 Like

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by usmanktg2(m): 4:36pm On Dec 12, 2013
wetin concern oyibo with firewood.
make I hear. if this is true they themselves would have not been born. carry go
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Nobody: 4:37pm On Dec 12, 2013
our grandmas didn't die due to smoke. So how did you get your theory?

1 Like

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by okeyxyz(m): 4:37pm On Dec 12, 2013
A big lie!!!

On what study have they based this silly claim?? This is just another of those govt agency propaganda they sell to the public when they want to setup or protect a business they have an interest in. In this case, they are trying to sell stoves to millions of people. Like when they made that propaganda that "pomo" has no nutritional value, all in a bid to grow/protect the leather making industry.

2 Likes

Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by whosefault(f): 4:37pm On Dec 12, 2013
Na lie
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Lilimax(f): 4:37pm On Dec 12, 2013
Na lie joor.
My grandmother cooked with firewood most of her life
and she died at 89years.
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Clemzy16(m): 4:38pm On Dec 12, 2013
A very big fat lie
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by free2ryhme: 4:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
see big fat lie
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by alienware(m): 4:40pm On Dec 12, 2013
Thank God ! I just got a gas burner for my mum . I knew inhaling this 3 times a day could pose a threat to her health.
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by omocalabar(m): 4:41pm On Dec 12, 2013
Lilimax: Na lie joor.
My grandmother cooked with firewood most of her life
and she died at 89years.
mine lived to see her great-great and great grand children...so OP its so wrong
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by Stanbeto: 4:42pm On Dec 12, 2013
wht apen to our vilge ppl?
Re: 98,000 Women Die Annually From Smoke Inhaled Cooking With Firewood by satowind(m): 4:43pm On Dec 12, 2013
.happy birthday to me

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Abia HMB Workers Protest, Shutdown Offices Over 11 Months Unpaid Salaries / UCH Ibadan Responds To Alleged Expired Vaccine Administration / Effects Of Bathing With Hot/warm Water

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.