Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,726 members, 7,809,766 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:32 PM

EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood (43434 Views)

Dangers Of Drinking Cold Water [ MUST READ] / Dangers Of Having Cockroaches In Your House / Watch Your Cream For Hydroquinone.-(dangers Of Hydroquinone.) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by princeemmac: 3:55pm On Aug 12, 2015
[size=16pt]The Silent Killer[/size]

[img]http://128.243.70.40/research/images/typical%20firewood%20stove.jpg[/img]
Cooking is the process of preparing food mostly through the application of heat. Firewood is the most popular source of domestic energy used for cooking in Africa.

In Nigeria, many homes and indeed restaurants resort to the use of firewood for cooking especially for large families, groups, parties, etc mainly due to the availability, inexpensive nature of firewood and lack of access to modern cooking fuels. But a large number of households are not aware of the hazards that are
associated with cooking with firewood.

Firewood

Firewood is primarily sourced from felled trees. The major reason for planting trees is for the preservation of the ecosystem and maintenance of good balance.

Deforestation by way of indiscriminate felling of trees for the use as firewood has been a major source of concern. Deforestation causes distortion or imbalance in the ecosystem and should be discouraged.

It is even worst when the people felling trees do not care about replacement. It has been recommended that for every tree you fell, plant four others. This is not being adhered to.

Trees

Every log of firewood you see around came from a tree. A tree is a plant with an elongated trunk which supports its branches and leaves.

Importance Of Trees
• Trees provide oxygen (In one year an acre of mature trees can provide
enough oxygen for 18 people.)
• Trees refreshes and cools the environment/ streets and city – Through
shades and releasing vapour into the air
• Trees conserve energy
• Trees save water
• Trees help prevent water pollution
• Trees help prevent soil erosion
• Trees shield children from ultra-violet rays
• Trees provide food
• Trees mark the seasons
• Trees provide a canopy and habitat for wildlife
• Trees clean the air
• Trees provide wood
• Trees combat the climate change

Every stick of firewood you use represents a felled tree that could have provided all of the above and lots more.

But narrowing it back to our discourse, there is already a challenge brewing up as the trees are felled indiscriminately which is a health issue nobody is looking at.

Fire Wood- The Silent Killer
It has been widely reported of the very serious adverse health effect African women face by the continued inhaling of smoke emitted by firewood combustion. This Smoke contains complex gases and fine particles, which affects both the lungs and the heart.

Firewood smoke is a great source of what scientist term fine particle pollution. It is painful that most users of firewood do not know the health hazard they are exposing themselves to.

Fine Particles

The size of particles is directly linked to their potential for causing health problems. Small particles less than 10 micrometers in diameter pose the greatest problems, because they can get deep into the lungs, and some may even get into the bloodstream. Among these particles are “fine particles,” which are 2.5 micrometers in diameter and smaller.

Numerous scientific studies have linked fine particle pollution exposure to a variety of problems, including:

• Increased respiratory symptoms, such as irritation of the airways, coughing, or
difficulty breathing;
• Decreased lung function;
• Aggravated asthma;
• Development of chronic bronchitis;
• Irregular heartbeat;
• Non fatal heart attacks; and
• Premature death in people with heart or lung disease.

Other Troubles
Aside from the fine particles, the complex gas emitted contain sulfur oxides, nitrogen oxides, carbon monoxide and potentially carcinogenic compounds including polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, benzene, formaldehyde and dioxins , which are known are known to cause cancer, Plus the notorious Greenhouse gas CO2.

The Techno Solution

Small wonder the Executive Vice Chairman of Techno oil ltd, Mrs. Nkechi Obi, MON, related with these facts passionately in a meeting with stakeholders in Lagos, Nigeria. She said,
`Cooking with firewood is a silent killer because firewood smoke is more dangerous than cigarette smoke.’’

Citing a recent World Health Organization report, she said that cooking with firewood often resulted to indoor pollution, which globally accounted for over 4 million deaths every year.

Mrs. Obi, who received Federal Government’s commendation few years ago for the `Going Green’ initiative of her company which is directed at popularizing the use of cooking gas in Nigeria has continued to sustain the effort. She further said that she was looking forward to when most Nigerian households would embrace the use of LPG and reduce the danger Nigerian women are being exposed to.

The Techno oil chief said ``Why must we continue to decimate our women population and keep pretending as if nothing is happening?” Mrs. Obi said this, as she announced the commencement of the construction work of the multi billion Naira LPG Cylinder manufacturing plant which would be producing a minimum of about 5 million cylinders annually.

She noted that When Techno Oil LPG cylinder production plant is completed, it will deepen LPG (Cooking Gas) adopting , create a clean, safe and healthier environment, make cylinders more available and affordable, create jobs and reduce the depletion of our foreign reserves through importation.

True as her words have highlighted; cooking with firewood is a silent killer and the preferred alternative: Liquefied Petroleum Gas (cooking Gas) which is greener, safer and healthier should be encouraged.

#Technooil
#TechnoGas
#TechnoGas & Power

https://www.facebook.com/technooil/posts/545153098973403

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by Nobody: 4:05pm On Aug 12, 2015
What is this??

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by RedCard1(m): 4:14pm On Aug 12, 2015
Poverty is the only reason why people use firewood. But some people still live long with it

14 Likes

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by shegsrules(m): 4:16pm On Aug 12, 2015
educative (green chemistry). what we need to know not tonto dis, seun cry cus of heartbreak or jona begs buhari while obj is licking ice cream

18 Likes

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by prettydpri: 4:29pm On Aug 12, 2015
shegsrules:
educative (green chemistry). what we need to know not tonto dis, seun cry cus of heartbreak or jona begs buhari while obj is licking ice cream
cheesy

2 Likes

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by culcid(m): 7:08pm On Aug 12, 2015
Very insightful. I did a research on ambient air quality in Onitsha, the result was terrible, I can perfectly relate to the dangers these women are exposed to.

Op kindly change the post title, so that it can make FP, to create the necessary awareness.

Remember : What is good for the environment is good for your health and pocket.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by UncleSnr(m): 8:33pm On Aug 12, 2015
But why did our forefathers live long? sad undecided

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by boman2014: 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2015
when almost 60% of Nigerians still use firewood.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by opeaceo: 9:51pm On Aug 12, 2015
The writer of the article is promoting the use of gas which is good, but how many people can afford the gas cylinders??
Kerosene is the preferred alternative here and not gas.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by Palmwinetapper: 10:04pm On Aug 12, 2015
Came:
Does it imply that it was smoke from a fire wood that killed, Muna, and Esiri? This is disrespectful pls.
Ask him. ItS sick
Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by pojophilius(m): 10:35pm On Aug 12, 2015
dear op,you need jesus

1 Like

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by uchebest2006(m): 7:33am On Aug 13, 2015
Buh our olden days papa nd mama dem use it nd yet re always older than this present generation.
Food cooked with fire wood is always delicious.

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by Iddiot(m): 7:35am On Aug 13, 2015
till den.

modified:

d tin big small....looks like truth mixed wit lies

2 Likes

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by prettydpri: 7:53am On Aug 13, 2015
culcid:
Very insightful. I did a research on ambient air quality in Onitsha, the result was terrible, I can perfectly relate to the dangers these women are exposed to.

Op kindly change the post title, so that it can make FP, to create the necessary awareness.

Ok thanks
Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by princeemmac: 7:58am On Aug 13, 2015
culcid:

Thanks for the suggestion. Its Done. Glad you liked It

2 Likes

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by princeemmac: 8:00am On Aug 13, 2015
RedCard1:
Poverty is the only reason why people use firewood. But some people still live long with it
Thats because a lot of health hazards they face are not traced to the source. They attribute everything to witches and wizards

3 Likes

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by princeemmac: 8:01am On Aug 13, 2015
shegsrules:
Thanks for sharing such wisdom. Done as u said

1 Like

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by Nobody: 8:04am On Aug 13, 2015
angry angry angry angry anoda way to eradicate africas tradition
My grandma used firewood to cook all her life she is stil alive over 80now no heart problem or lungs
Funny enof dis myt be comin from china where deir traditional women stil they use firewood
U want to deprive us of our party rice bah?
Very soon am stil waitin for d research of the danger of usin spoon and fork to eat from china research carbinet
If i cook wiv firewood lemme see one wrong mamafucker dat we correct me angry angry angry angry

29 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by princeemmac: 8:05am On Aug 13, 2015
UncleSnr:
But why did our forefathers live long? sad undecided
They were not living long. They just didnt know they were dying silently from it. Especially those that were always cooking

1 Like

Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by princeemmac: 8:06am On Aug 13, 2015
boman2014:
when almost 60% of Nigerian still use firewood.
Very true bro
Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by princeemmac: 8:10am On Aug 13, 2015
opeaceo:
The writer of the article is promoting the use of gas which is good, but how many people can afford the gas cylinders??
Kerosene is the preferred alternative here and not gas.
Thats where companies like techno oil comes in they are building a 5m a yr gas cylinder plant. This will make gas much more affordable, and help propagate the use so that you and i can have it, just like we used to buy sims for 50k now sims go for N200, the more the products in circulation, the cheaper
Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by princeemmac: 8:11am On Aug 13, 2015
Came:
Does it imply that it was smoke from a fire wood that killed, Muna, and Esiri? This is disrespectful pls.
The title has been changed
Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by princeemmac: 8:13am On Aug 13, 2015
halfrica:
angry angry angry angry anoda way to eradicate africas tradition
My grandma used firewood to cook all her life she is stil alive over 80now no heart problem or lungs
Funny enof dis myt be comin from china where deir traditional women stil they use firewood
U want to deprive us of our party rice bah?
Very soon am stil waitin for d research of the danger of usin spoon and fork to eat from china research carbinet
If i cook wiv firewood lemme see one wrong mamafucker dat we correct me angry angry angry angry
Life is more important than party rice
Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by prettydpri: 8:16am On Aug 13, 2015
RedCard1:
true
Re: EDUCATIVE: Dangers of Cooking with Fire wood by prettydpri: 8:18am On Aug 13, 2015
culcid:

True talk bro

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

South African Lady Living With HIV Says "I Won’t Allow HIV To Limit Me" / Abnormal Growth On My Forehead And Wrist / Increase Your Libido With This Drink!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.