Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,233 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:17 AM

Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? (5893 Views)

Seven Things Singles Do When Tired Of Being Called "Single" / Reason Why Ladies Hate Each Other / If You're A Lady, Do You Like Being Called "Baby"? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by calddon(m): 9:23pm On Dec 12, 2013
I have heard this several times, from colleagues and others; pls don't call me madam my name is............

so pls I ask the question, why do ladies especially the single once hate to be called madam?
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by Nobody: 9:49pm On Dec 12, 2013
Well i am cool with it.i dont have a problem with that.its just like addresing a man you dont know as uncle,broda etc
I think its a respectful way of adressing or talking to a lady you dont know e.g madam excuse me,madam can i use your biro.i even refer to guys way younger than me as broda or uncle ,even some of my younger ones agemates and they call me madam

So kini big deal
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by Nobody: 9:56pm On Dec 12, 2013
A single lady that's called madam is older enough to be called that name and unhappy that at her age, she's not yet married.
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by jmoore(m): 10:14pm On Dec 12, 2013
Gerascophobia
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by Suzie0(f): 10:56pm On Dec 12, 2013
I've also noticed that not only amongs single ladies, buh some married women as well. Cause i can remember vividly few weeks back, there was this elderly woman (not that old sha, buh she's like... my mum's age or there about) sitting next to a young lady. I wanted her to adjust a little bit for me to sit as well & i was like ...'mummy please shift small' she kept quite 'madam please adjust' the woman provoke she was like 'why you dey call me madam, &mummy, are my your mum? Or are my that old to be called 'madam' she was actualy trying or better still, was creating a scene there and i was so embarrased cause she was also raising her voice. I got so angry & was like 'if i don't call you madam, what else are my supposed to call you? angry okay sorry! undecided "Baby shift small". (For my mind i was like OMG! She no wan old) grin

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by nikkyshyne(f): 11:05pm On Dec 12, 2013
Funny enough, I told my colleague at work today that I don't like when the IT students call me ma. Although it's an office protocol but I just don't like it. They are always saying 'yes ma, good morning ma, ok ma, I have it ma, ma ma ma ma angry.

Makes it look like I am old or maybe I am now old undecided sad
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by Nnekacherry: 11:05pm On Dec 12, 2013
Well i don't see anything wrong with that.. It's just a way of addressing somebody..
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by ppink(f): 11:39pm On Dec 12, 2013
Suzie 0.:
'why you dey call me madam, &mummy, are my your mum? Or are my that old to be called 'madam' i was like 'if i don't call you madam, what else are my supposed to call you? angry okay sorry! undecided "Baby shift small". grin
lol... Jes i can't stop laughing at "baby shift" serves her right...hahahahahaha
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by Nobody: 12:08am On Dec 13, 2013
kulyie: Well i am cool with it.i dont have a problem with that.its just like addresing a man you dont know as uncle,broda etc
I think its a respectful way of adressing or talking to a lady you dont know e.g madam excuse me,madam can i use your biro.i even refer to guys way younger than me as broda or uncle ,even some of my younger ones agemates and they call me madam

So kini big deal

I'll actually prefer U calling me daddy!!!

@ topic; I feel so cool, when I go out n be addressed as sire; I just feel like dipping my hands into ma wallet n blessing d pperson 4 shwing me such respect ... grin cheesy

I'm addressed as such most places I go n I love it; I am young looking anyway n I knoww it!!!
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by Chylo(m): 1:28am On Dec 13, 2013
Tis lack of exposure that causes it. The ladies don't know that being called ma'am is a sign of respect, just like a man being called sir. They feel it makes them look old? They are just insecure.

Personally, it is ladies who I am familiar with to an extent but still call madam that have taken offence, maybe cos they feel it is too impersonal and they would like me to acknowledge our closeness by me calling their name. Funny thing is in reality tho', guys use the word jokingly and as a term of endearment but they take it so seriously.
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by Nobody: 7:38am On Dec 14, 2013
nikkyshyne: Funny enough, I told my colleague at work today that I don't like when the IT students call me ma. Although it's an office protocol but I just don't like it. They are always saying 'yes ma, good morning ma, ok ma, I have it ma, ma ma ma ma angry.

Makes it look like I am old or maybe I am now old undecided sad

Maybe you are mam. grin
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by Nobody: 9:38am On Dec 14, 2013
Raymondenyi:

I'll actually prefer U calling me daddy!!!

@ topic; I feel so cool, when I go out n be addressed as sire; I just feel like dipping my hands into ma wallet n blessing d pperson 4 shwing me such respect ... grin cheesy

I'm addressed as such most places I go n I love it; I am young looking anyway n I knoww it!!!
grin grin
Re: Why Do Single Ladies Hate Being Called Madam? by Nuzo1(m): 9:55am On Dec 14, 2013
In the Nigerian context, madam means an older married lady in her 40s upward with lot of financial and social influence.

Some younger ladies abhor the name for fear of being seen as old cargoes while some older women avoid it for the fear of financial obligations that come with the name.

But call a little boy sir, he will gladly buy you beer for life.

(1) (Reply)

If You Want To Catch Woman What Will You Use? / What Do We Call A Woman Who Sleep With Many Different Men? / Questions A Lady Asks The Guy She Has Future Plans For

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.