Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,741 members, 7,831,363 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 05:43 PM

. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / . (4510 Views)

What Makes Nigeria The Giant Of Africa / Is Nigeria A Giant Of Africa / Woe! To Nigerian Government. Ghana Is Now The Giant Of Africa! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: . by solomon111(m): 10:43am On Dec 13, 2013
China is the giant of Asia due to its economy and population.
The country that can boast of a bigger economy than Nigeria in Africa is SA.
While Nigeria beats all the other african countries both in market and economic potential.
Nigeria is probably the only country in Africa that has the potential of becoming a member of the G-8 economy and sustaining that position.
OP is a biased southafrican.

4 Likes

Re: . by hunter21(m): 11:09am On Dec 13, 2013
Scorpionking: that is why even white people love and settle in Southern Africa.
there goes another slave.

1 Like

Re: . by Chylo(m): 11:57am On Dec 13, 2013
Egba girl:

Some African countries have winter (southern Africa) and some Asia countries too. :/

And dats why South Africa is as developed as it is. If you've been there, you'll notice some places there are even finer than UK, same as most other southern African countries.
Re: . by lekkie073(m): 12:04pm On Dec 13, 2013
comparing west Africa to any other geographical location in Africa
sports....west Africa leads
entertainment/music .....west Africa leads
education.....west Africa leads
economic buoyancy....west Africa leads

south Africa is what it is today because the white man never left. leave sa for d blacks alone and they will never get near Nigeria in any ramification....

2 Likes

Re: . by osystein(m): 2:34pm On Dec 13, 2013
I realise that the population is more a negative cause most are illiterate and poor, 99% don't pay any tax. The oil is what makes naija a giant, without it, the north will look like somalia, and the south Ethiopia. Heck, without the oil naija would have long split.
Ethiopia's military is ranked above Nigeria's, so it's not far-fetched to state that without oil naija will be like Ethiopia.

1 Like

Re: . by lekkie073(m): 2:51pm On Dec 13, 2013
osystein: I realise that the population is more a negative cause most are illiterate and poor, 99% don't pay any tax. The oil is what makes naija a giant, without it, the north will look like somalia, and the south Ethiopia. Heck, without the oil naija would have long split.
Ethiopia's military is ranked above Nigeria's, so it's not far-fetched to state that without oil naija will be like Ethiopia.
Ethiopia 's military rated above Nigeria? I doubt it. if so, why haven't they helped maintain peace in their neighbour's territory(somalia)? Nigeria successfully established peace in Liberia and sierra Leone . and d latest being d joint effort between France and Nigeria in Mali. give me s equivalent of such success with regards to Ethiopia military..
Re: . by lekkie073(m): 2:59pm On Dec 13, 2013
check this out

Re: . by Nobody: 3:09pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: . by lekkie073(m): 3:32pm On Dec 13, 2013
Scorpionking: listen my friend,I am a nigerian american not southafrican and I'm telling you that Southern africa is more appealing than western africa ,China's status as giant of asia is useless because Japan and south korea are by far more appealing and better than china.
UAE and Quater are only hot in the summer,they have a Mediterranean climate,just because they have palm tree doesn't mean its like Nigeria.you guys need to travel more.
I know you think everything has to be tribal,i am nigerian and i'm telling you eye witness facts.
Mr nigerian-american, but u agree DAT China is d giant of Asia whether or not south Korea and Japan are appealing....
BTW, nothing like a Nigerian american. dat vocab exist only in ur mind
Re: . by osystein(m): 3:41pm On Dec 13, 2013
lekkie073:
Ethiopia 's military rated above Nigeria? I doubt it. if so, why haven't they helped maintain peace in their neighbour's territory(somalia)? Nigeria successfully established peace in Liberia and sierra Leone . and d latest being d joint effort between France and Nigeria in Mali. give me s equivalent of such success with regards to Ethiopia military..

So going by your logic, Nigeria's military is greater than Egypt's since Egypt hasn't sent any peace keepers to other countries. Ethiopia's military is ranked above Nigeria's, that's a fact. Nigeria went to Liberia and sierra leone and raped over 500 000 teenage girls, they ran away from Mali due to insurgency (boko-haram) in the north.
Ethiopia has world class airports, and their national airline is the best in Africa. What is world class about Nigeria? The east and southern african universities and schools are ranked higher than nigeria's. It's quite clear that without oil, Nigeria would be worse than Ethiopia.
Re: . by Egbagirl(f): 3:45pm On Dec 13, 2013
Chylo:

And dats why South Africa is as developed as it is. If you've been there, you'll notice some places there are even finer than UK, same as most other southern African countries.

Yes and if you have been there, you'll notice some places are just as bad as the slums we have in Nigeria.

Again, like I said, the white people never left South Africa hence the development.
Re: . by Nobody: 3:46pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: . by Nobody: 3:47pm On Dec 13, 2013
lets argue reasonably.
lets start with this.
On what basis are you using to measure nigeria not been the giant of africa.
until this has been bashed,then you av no case.
Re: . by lekkie073(m): 3:52pm On Dec 13, 2013
osystein:

So going by your logic, Nigeria's military is greater than Egypt's since Egypt hasn't sent any peace keepers to other countries. Ethiopia's military is ranked above Nigeria's, that's a fact. Nigeria went to Liberia and sierra leone and raped over 500 000 teenage girls, they ran away from Mali due to insurgency (boko-haram) in the north.
Ethiopia has world class airports, and their national airline is the best in Africa. What is world class about Nigeria? The east and southern african universities and schools are ranked higher than nigeria's. It's quite clear that without oil, Nigeria would be worse than Ethiopia.
guy, I very been to bole international airport Addis Ababa countless times and I can tell u there is nothing there DAT beats MMA international wing , Ikeja. their airline is d best in Africa and guess what? that's where the country gets 94% of its GDP from. talking of a country DAT has only one telecoms operator. if u be been to Ethiopia, then u would have seen how thousands of Ethiopians sit in front of the airport all day, marvelling at how possible it is for other black ppl to gather enough finance to travel out of their respective countries. truth be told, they have steady power supply and good roads but overall, Addis ababa looks more like Ibadan or Abeokuta. it will be downgrading to compare it with Lagos talk less of abuja
Re: . by Nobody: 3:54pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: . by lekkie073(m): 3:58pm On Dec 13, 2013
Scorpionking: ok i'm american ,are you f.ucking satisfied now? I do not think that China is the giant of Asia,China to me is an ignorant overpopulated cesspit and so is India. If Canada wasn't so cold I would even say Canada,newzealand and and australia are better and more appealing than the U.S. ,you guys only watch on tv and believe hype meanwhile I have been to all these countries in person .
I prefer a low population,intelligent ,humble and progressive population and nation over an overpopulated ,arrogant,ignorant nation.
Sweden,Norway,Germany and Switzerland are better and more appealing than UK
Barbados and Bahamas are more appealing and better than Jamaica and Haiti
going by what u wrote, u prefer low populated enclaves. but does Sweden become more of a giant by been more appealing than UK? no. does Canada become more of a giant by being more appealing than USA? no
Re: . by lekkie073(m): 4:05pm On Dec 13, 2013
Scorpionking:
The U.S will become a third world country if we continue to let in millions of illegal and legal immigrants every year and if we do not device a population reduction.
if not for d illegal and legal immigrants ish, u might have not been able to label urself a nigerian-american. so USA should stop something u directly or indirectly benefitted from?
Re: . by Nobody: 4:08pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: . by Nobody: 4:11pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: . by lekkie073(m): 4:15pm On Dec 13, 2013
Scorpionking: I only state the ugly truth,I don't beat around the bush. I am against illegal immigration and I think Legal immigration should be extremely slowed if not the U.S will be third world very soon. it doesnt matter to me anyway because i'm renouncing the citizenship soon and moving to Namibia or Botswana
who r u fooling? anyway, when u finally move to Namibia, let me know.....I ll pay u a visit grin
Re: . by osystein(m): 4:20pm On Dec 13, 2013
lekkie073:
guy, I very been to bole international airport Addis Ababa countless times and I can tell u there is nothing there DAT beats MMA international wing , Ikeja. their airline is d best in Africa and guess what? that's where the country gets 94% of its GDP from. talking of a country DAT has only one telecoms operator. if u be been to Ethiopia, then u would have seen how thousands of Ethiopians sit in front of the airport all day, marvelling at how possible it is for other black ppl to gather enough finance to travel out of their respective countries. truth be told, they have steady power supply and good roads but overall, Addis ababa looks more like Ibadan or Abeokuta. it will be downgrading to compare it with Lagos talk less of abuja

Dude, there's no nigerian airport in the top ten in Africa, the same with universities and schools.. anything requiring management, nigeria doesn't do well in. That's why I say nigeria's economy would be below these countries if not for the oil.

Ethiopia's airport is among the top ten in Africa. Kenya's and Tanzania's universities and schools are ranked above Nigerias, what makes Nigeria giant other oil?

No Nigerian airport was listed among the best in Africa in the 2013 Skytrax
World Best Airport Awards held at Passenger Terminal EXPO, Geneva, Switzerland.
South African airports dominated the top 10 ranking in Africa, with Cape Town International Airport emerging the Best Airport in Africa, followed by Durban King Shaka International Airport and Johannesburg (Tambo) International Airport in 2nd and 3rd places respectively.
This year’s awards, voted by airport customers from around the world, garnered 12.1 million responses.
Egypt’s Cairo International Airport was ranked 4th while the 5th position went to Mauritius International Airport.
East London Airport, South Africa, was placed in the 6th position; Addis Ababa Bole International Airport in Ethiopia, 7th; and Port Elizabeth Airport, South Africa in 8th position.
Morocco’s Marrakech Menara International Airport and Seychelles International Airport ranked 9th and 10th respectively.
South Africa also made a clean sweep of the Best Airport Staff category with Cape Town International Airport, Durban King Shaka International Airport, Johannesburg International Airport, East London Airport, and Port Elizabeth Airport occupying all the five positions.
World’s best airport Singapore Changi Airport was voted the 2013 world’s best airport, the 4thtime it had claimed the top prize.
The Singaporean airport toppled Incheon International Airport, South Korea, which moved to second place, to clinch the position.
Amsterdam’s Schipol Airport, Hong Kong International Airport, and Beijing Capital International Airport were ranked 3rd, 4th, and 5th best in the world.
“In winning this prestigious accolade, Singapore Changi cements its place as one of the world’s favourite airports and Skytrax offer their sincere congratulations on what has been a fantastic year of achievement” said Edward Plaisted, Chairman of Skytrax.
“The vast array of leisure and entertainment facilities really standout at Changi and serve to highlight the extent to which the management has gone to ensure maximum levels of passenger satisfaction.
“We only have to look at the fact that Changi served more than 50 million passengers for the first time during 2012, to see that it continues to attract customers and maintain its place as one of the world’s leading hub airports,” Mr. Plaisted added.
Lee Seow Hiang, Chief Executive Officer, Changi Airport Group said that winning the Skytrax World’s Best Airport award again is an immense honour for Changi Airport.
“It is as much a recognition of the passion of the 32,000-strong airport community that is the backbone of Changi’s collaborative and well-oiled operational processes , as it is an affirmation of our mantra in putting our passengers at the heart of all that we do,” said Mr. Hiang.
Three South African airports – the only ones from Africa – were also listed anong the world’s top 100 airports, ranked 22nd, 26th, and 28th respectively.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/132216-no-nigerian-airport-among-africas-best-10.html

1 Like

Re: . by Nobody: 4:20pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: . by Egbagirl(f): 4:31pm On Dec 13, 2013
Scorpionking: You don't understand my friend,you think i'm joking. In this life you have to do what resonates with your heart. Southern Africa is the place that I love,my heart is in Namibia,its a punishment to my soul to not be there.The U.S is a good country but my heart is not here. I have been to Namibia and I know that's where I want to spend the rest of my life.
I want to live and die in Namibia.

To each his own. Congrats on finding your dream country. We all don't have the same dreams so biko nne, free us
Re: . by osystein(m): 4:35pm On Dec 13, 2013
Check the top secondary schools in Africa, east and southern Africa dominate.

1. Grey College South Africa
2. Rift Valley Academy Kenya
3. King Edward VII School South Africa
4. Hilton College South Africa
5. St. George's College Zimbabwe
6. Prince Edward School Zimbabwe
7. International School of Kenya Kenya
8. Accra Academy Ghana
9. Lycée Lamine Guèye Senegal
10. Adisadel College Ghana
11. St John's College Houghton South Africa
12. Maritzburg College South Africa
13. Lycée Guebre Mariam Ethiopia
14. Selborne College South Africa
15. St Alban's College South Africa
16. Lycée Lyautey Morocco
17. Durban High School South Africa
18. Grey High School South Africa
19. St Andrew`s College South Africa
20. Gateway High School Zimbabwe
21. Glenwood High School South Africa
22. Rainbow International School Uganda
23. Lycée Moulay Youssef Morocco
24. Kearsney College South Africa
25. St. James High School Zimbabwe
26. Wynberg Boys High School South Africa
27. Pretoria Boys High School South Africa
28. Lycée Français de Tananarive Madagascar
29. Mauritius College of the Air Mauritius
30. International School Moshi Tanzania
31. Le Collège Mermoz Ivory Coast
32. Strathmore School Kenya
33. Parktown Boys' High School South Africa
34. International School of Tanganyika Tanzania
35. Holy Child School Ghana
36. Christ The King College Onitsha Nigeria
37. Graeme College South Africa
38. Jeppe High School for Boys South Africa
39. Alliance High School Kenya
40. Hillcrest School Jos Nigeria
41. Kingswood College South Africa
42. Hamilton High School Zimbabwe
43. Lincoln International School Uganda
44. Lycée Victor Hugo Morocco
45. Alexandra High School South Africa
46. École Normale Supérieure Guinea
47. Ghana International School Ghana
48. Arundel School Zimbabwe
49. Rondebosch Boys' High School South Africa
50. Starehe Boys' Centre Kenya
51. American International School of Johannesburg South Africa
52. Victoria Park High School South Africa
53. Methodist Boys High School Sierra Leone
54. Harare International School Zimbabwe
55. Methodist Girls High School Sierra Leone
56. Lenana School Kenya
57. St. Andrew's High School Malawi
58. Benoni High School South Africa
59. Waddilove High School Zimbabwe
60. Roedean School South Africa
61. Wykeham Collegiate Independent School for Girls South Africa
62. Lycee Francais du Caire Egypt
63. Christian Brothers' College Bulawayo Zimbabwe
64. Kamuzu Academy Malawi
65. Mount Pleasant High School Zimbabwe
66. Mfantsipim School Ghana
67. Chisipite Senior School Zimbabwe
68. Gayaza High School Uganda
69. Kutama College Zimbabwe
70. Wheelus High School Libya
71. Michaelhouse School South Africa
72. Westville Boys' High School South Africa
73. Namilyango College Uganda
74. Government College Umuahia Nigeria
75. Muir College South Africa
76. Wesley Girls High School Ghana
77. Alexander Sinton High School South Africa
78. Lycée Faidherbe Senegal
79. Royal College Port Louis Mauritius
80. Lycée La Fontaine Niger
81. Lycée Lyautey de Casablanca Morocco
82. Settlers High School South Africa
83. Nyeri High School Kenya
84. Pinetown Boys' High School South Africa
85. Kings' College Lagos Nigeria
86. Lycée Français Liberté Mali
87. Paarl Boys' High School South Africa
88. St. Paul's College Namibia
89. Tafari Makonnen School Ethiopia
90. Wynberg Girls' High School South Africa
91. Bingham Academy Ethiopia
92. Port Shepstone High School South Africa
93. Clapham High School South Africa
94. Hillcrest Secondary School Kenya
95. South African College School South Africa
96. Lycée Blaise Diagne Senegal
97. St Mary's Diocesan School for Girls South Africa
98. Townsend High School Zimbabwe
99. St.Gregory's College Nigeria
100. Allan Wilson High School Zimbabwe
Re: . by LeStylo: 4:44pm On Dec 13, 2013
Scorpionking: Nigerians are ignorant about other parts of africa.Nigeria is not even 7th place in giant of Africa. I often hear you guys mocking countries like zimbabwe and namibia. Have you ever been to Zimbabwe? Zimbabwe and the rest of southern Africa are incomparable to shitty west Africa,Southern Africa like Botswana,Namibia,Swaziland,Zimbabwe and south Africa have subtropical climate like Southern California and Australia ,blue skies,rolling hills,snow capped mountains etc,4 seasons,even the nature is amazing ,that is why even white people love and settle in Southern Africa.
even without skyscrapers the southern Africa is generally more appealing.you guys need to travel more.western African climate is simply not conducive for first world development. Africa is a big continent,not every were in Africa is like Nigeria
the countries likely to be first world in Africa by 2040 are Botswana,South Africa,Namibia,Swaziland and zimbabwe
What a way to think! What has climate got to do with first world development Another warped thinking trend. Our climate is heaven compared to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Qatar where even the "First world" developed nations refer to as next generation cities!
Re: . by Nobody: 4:46pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: . by osystein(m): 5:02pm On Dec 13, 2013
Jeez,.. not even one west African country won a medal at the Olympic games, yet someone claimed that west Africans are more athletic. seems like we only dominate in football.

1.Kenya, 11 medals (2 Gold, 4 Silver, 5 Bronze) - Track and Field.
2. Ethiopia, 7 medals (3 Gold, 1 Silver, 3 Bronze) - Track and Field.
3. South Africa, 6 medals (3 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze) - Swimming, Rowing, Canoe Sprint,Track and Field.
4. Tunisia, 3 medals (1 Gold, 1 Silver, 1 Bronze) - Swimming, Track and Field.
5. Egypt, 2 medals (2 Silver) - Fencing, Wrestling.
6. Algeria 1 medal (1 Gold) - Track and Field.
7. Uganda 1 medal (1 Gold) - Track and Field.
8. Botswana 1 medal (1 Silver) -Track and Field.
9. Gabon 1 medal (1 Silver) - Track and Field
10. Morocco 1 medal (1 Bronze) - Track and Field.

1 Like

Re: . by solomon111(m): 5:05pm On Dec 13, 2013
There's a Nigerian university in africa's top 10 for 2013 or so.
Obafemi awolowo uni was at number 8.
Re: . by osystein(m): 5:09pm On Dec 13, 2013
West Africa had many empires... ofcoz it might be due to population density... we have greater history than east and southern Africa.

[img]http://www.nairaland.com/attachments/1456777_644px-African-civilizations-map-pre-colonial_svg_png25728080723ec0596bc67571a1e6b03c[/img]
Re: . by Nobody: 5:12pm On Dec 13, 2013
Re: . by Litmus: 5:12pm On Dec 13, 2013
osystein: Check the top secondary schools in Africa, east and southern Africa dominate.

1. Grey College South Africa
2. Rift Valley Academy Kenya
3. King Edward VII School South Africa
4. Hilton College South Africa
5. St. George's College Zimbabwe
6. Prince Edward School Zimbabwe
7. International School of Kenya Kenya
8. Accra Academy Ghana
9. Lycée Lamine Guèye Senegal
10. Adisadel College Ghana
11. St John's College Houghton South Africa
12. Maritzburg College South Africa
13. Lycée Guebre Mariam Ethiopia
14. Selborne College South Africa
15. St Alban's College South Africa
16. Lycée Lyautey Morocco
17. Durban High School South Africa
18. Grey High School South Africa
19. St Andrew`s College South Africa
20. Gateway High School Zimbabwe
21. Glenwood High School South Africa
22. Rainbow International School Uganda
23. Lycée Moulay Youssef Morocco
24. Kearsney College South Africa
25. St. James High School Zimbabwe
26. Wynberg Boys High School South Africa
27. Pretoria Boys High School South Africa
28. Lycée Français de Tananarive Madagascar
29. Mauritius College of the Air Mauritius
30. International School Moshi Tanzania
31. Le Collège Mermoz Ivory Coast
32. Strathmore School Kenya
33. Parktown Boys' High School South Africa
34. International School of Tanganyika Tanzania
35. Holy Child School Ghana
36. Christ The King College Onitsha Nigeria
37. Graeme College South Africa
38. Jeppe High School for Boys South Africa
39. Alliance High School Kenya
40. Hillcrest School Jos Nigeria
41. Kingswood College South Africa
42. Hamilton High School Zimbabwe
43. Lincoln International School Uganda
44. Lycée Victor Hugo Morocco
45. Alexandra High School South Africa
46. École Normale Supérieure Guinea
47. Ghana International School Ghana
48. Arundel School Zimbabwe
49. Rondebosch Boys' High School South Africa
50. Starehe Boys' Centre Kenya
51. American International School of Johannesburg South Africa
52. Victoria Park High School South Africa
53. Methodist Boys High School Sierra Leone
54. Harare International School Zimbabwe
55. Methodist Girls High School Sierra Leone
56. Lenana School Kenya
57. St. Andrew's High School Malawi
58. Benoni High School South Africa
59. Waddilove High School Zimbabwe
60. Roedean School South Africa
61. Wykeham Collegiate Independent School for Girls South Africa
62. Lycee Francais du Caire Egypt
63. Christian Brothers' College Bulawayo Zimbabwe
64. Kamuzu Academy Malawi
65. Mount Pleasant High School Zimbabwe
66. Mfantsipim School Ghana
67. Chisipite Senior School Zimbabwe
68. Gayaza High School Uganda
69. Kutama College Zimbabwe
70. Wheelus High School Libya
71. Michaelhouse School South Africa
72. Westville Boys' High School South Africa
73. Namilyango College Uganda
74. Government College Umuahia Nigeria
75. Muir College South Africa
76. Wesley Girls High School Ghana
77. Alexander Sinton High School South Africa
78. Lycée Faidherbe Senegal
79. Royal College Port Louis Mauritius
80. Lycée La Fontaine Niger
81. Lycée Lyautey de Casablanca Morocco
82. Settlers High School South Africa
83. Nyeri High School Kenya
84. Pinetown Boys' High School South Africa
85. Kings' College Lagos Nigeria
86. Lycée Français Liberté Mali
87. Paarl Boys' High School South Africa
88. St. Paul's College Namibia
89. Tafari Makonnen School Ethiopia
90. Wynberg Girls' High School South Africa
91. Bingham Academy Ethiopia
92. Port Shepstone High School South Africa
93. Clapham High School South Africa
94. Hillcrest Secondary School Kenya
95. South African College School South Africa
96. Lycée Blaise Diagne Senegal
97. St Mary's Diocesan School for Girls South Africa
98. Townsend High School Zimbabwe
99. St.Gregory's College Nigeria
100. Allan Wilson High School Zimbabwe

Intriguing

However, one thing baffles me; these league tables that continually elevate African Universities, Collages and places of technology above Nigerian institutes, why is it that students from these places never seem to outperform lowly Nigerian students in international achievements, recognition and competitions.

For example this: International Olympiad of Mathematics : http://imo2006.dmfa.si/results_itd.html

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

REASONS WHY AREGBESOLA CAN NEVER RULE OSUN AGAIN / Porthacourt International Airport (pix) / Osita Chidoka 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.