Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,837 members, 7,831,715 topics. Date: Saturday, 18 May 2024 at 03:21 AM

Is Islam Misunderstood? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is Islam Misunderstood? (622 Views)

Bible Study - Galatians... Has The Modern Church Misunderstood? / The Fastest Growing Religion In America Is Islam / The Fifth Kingdom(of God) In The Bible Prophecy Of The Book "DANIEL 2" Is Islam! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Islam Misunderstood? by Kingspin(m): 4:54pm On Dec 13, 2013
The ka'aba By ADERONKE ADEYERI ‘Kill the infidel’ is not Islam — Alhaji Abdulbari Yoosuph
Afini.
Many non-Muslims
misunderstand Islam, in fact,
some Muslims, also have a
wrong notion about the religion. Sentiment have crept
in to the practice of Islam in
some areas. Some Muslims who
do not have a full knowledge of
the religion often diffuse their
culture into the religion and as such give a wrong impression
about Islam. Another misconception about
Islam is a popular phrase ‘Kill
the infidel’ which many people
believe is the ideology that
Muslims have towards the non
Muslims. *Muslims at prayer This is not a correct portrayal of
Islamic law. Islam gives respect
and freedom of religion to all
faiths. The Quran says “God
does not forbid you with
regards to those who fight you not for religion nor drive you
away out of your homes, from
dealing kindly and justly with
them, for God loves those who
are just.” There are many historical
examples of Muslim tolerance
towards other faith. One
example was when the Caliph
Umar was ruler of Jerusalem
from 634 to 644 AD granted freedom to all religious
communities and said that the
inhabitants of his city were
safe and that their places of
worship would never be taken
away from them. He also set up courts that were designated to
the non Muslim minorities. Yet another misconception is
that Muslims worship Prophet
Muhammad. This is entirely
untrue, and is easily refuted by
the actual saying of the
Prophet (peace be upon him): “Do not over praise me as the Christians over praised Jesus, the son of Mary. I am His slave, so refer to me as ‘God’s slave and Messenger.” Islam teaches Muslims to
respect all of God’s Prophets
and Messengers but respecting
and loving them does not mean
worshipping them. A related claim is that Muslims
worship the “moon God” which
is also totally incorrect.
Worshipping the moon, or
anything other than Allah, is
strictly prohibited in Islam. Islam is not terrorism — Haruna Rasaq I agree with the fact that Islam
as a religion that suffers
misconceptions. These
misconceptions are often
created by two groups which
are the Muslims and the non Muslims. These groups have injected
wrong practices into the
religion. Today, there is a
misconception of Jihad often
propagated by the antagonists
of the religion. They mis- interprete jihad to mean “Holy
war” and they belief it is the
reason behind the incessant
killings and terrorism in the
Northern part of the country.
However, jihad does not totally mean war but a word with a
compound scope. Jihad was
coined from an Arabic word
“Juhb” which means striving
and also synonymous to
“Taaqah” that means capacity and power. It can also be likened to
“maslagah’’ the ability to
endure hardship. Therefore,
Jihad means striving to endure
hardship in Islamic act. Jihad
could be the act of traveling to Hajj which is the last pillar of
Islam. Jihad can also be
explained as the act of
enduring hardship in the
course of establishing religious
act and charitable deeds. An hadith says “he who strive to
meet the needs of the widow
and the poor has done Jihad. The status of women is another
area of misconception. Some
believe that women are
regarded as slaves in Islam
which is not true. There is an
hadith specially for women (Surat) and Nisai. In Islam,
women are as vital to life just
as the male counterpart and
not to be treated as a weaker
specie. When girls were born in
Arab before Islam, they were killed because they felt they
had nothing to offer but this
religion eradicated this
practice. Some also believe that Islam
permits forced marriages.
Arranged marriages are
cultural practices which are
predominant in certain
countries throughout the world. In Islam, both males and
females have the right to
choose or reject their potential
spouse, and a marriage is
considered null and void if a
woman’s genuine approval is not granted prior to the
marriage.
www.vanaguardngr.com
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by dorox(m): 6:20pm On Dec 13, 2013
Islam is not misunderstood. Its just a whacked up religion

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Dec 13, 2013
Islam is greatly misunderstood!
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 6:23pm On Dec 13, 2013
That's true. Islam is greatly misunderstood. Most muslims actually don't understand islam. The people who understand islam are the Jihadists. They are the ones practising the religion the way the prophet wanted.

4 Likes

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 6:29pm On Dec 13, 2013
rationalmind: That's true. Islam is greatly misunderstood. Most muslims actually don't understand islam. The people who understand islam are the Jihadists. They are the ones practising the religion the way the prophet wanted.

It depends on what you mean by "Jihadists". If by Jihadist you mean those who go to blow themselves up for Allah then your assessment is false because Islam frowns against suicide bombing. Matter of factly, in Islam, no suicide bomber can make Heaven.

So if one says he is a true Muslim but decides to commit suicide then that individual is getting it very wrong, hence the misunderstanding. He cannot be a good Muslim and commit suicide.

Anyways, I believe Islam is misunderstood by some Muslims and non-Muslims.
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 13, 2013
striktlymi:

It depends on what you mean by "Jihadists". If by Jihadist you mean those who go to blow themselves up for Allah then your assessment is false because Islam frowns against suicide bombing. Matter of factly, in Islam, no suicide bomber can make Heaven.

So if one says he is a true Muslim but decides to commit suicide then that individual is getting it very wrong, hence the misunderstanding. He cannot be a good Muslim and commit suicide.

Anyways, I believe Islam is misunderstood by some Muslims and non-Muslims.

I guess you have been listening a lot to lies muslims sell to people.

I strongly advice you to pick up a sira and a hadith and read about the life and times of Mohammed.

You will understand Jihadists who blow up themselves are the ones practising what the prophet wanted.

2 Likes

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 6:40pm On Dec 13, 2013
rationalmind:

I guess you have been listening a lot to lies muslims sell to people.

I strongly advice you to pick up a sira and a hadith and read about the life and times of Mohammed.

You will understand Jihadists who blow up themselves are the ones practising what the prophet wanted.

Nah mehn...I am almost sure you are the one listening to what people say without reviewing the evidence in their Holy books. I am sure you won't find one passage in the Books where suicide is permitted. You are welcome to prove me wrong.
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 6:49pm On Dec 13, 2013
striktlymi:

Nah mehn...I am almost sure you are the one listening to what people say without reviewing the evidence in their Holy books. I am sure you won't find one passage in the Books where suicide is permitted. You are welcome to prove me wrong.

People are not judged by what they say, talk is cheap. They are judged by what they do.

You should dig into the history of mohammed to know what mohammed himself did not what he said in the quran. Those Jihadists are the ones following the real example of mohammed.

What you call suicide, mohammed calls martyrdom which is strongly encouraged in islam.

4 Likes

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 6:53pm On Dec 13, 2013
rationalmind:

People are not judged by what they say, talk is cheap. They are judged by what they do.

You should dig into the history of mohammed to know what mohammed himself did not what he said in the quran. Those Jihadists are the ones following the real example of mohammed.

What you call suicide, mohammed calls martyrdom which is strongly encouraged in islam.

People are judged by their actions, I quite agree. What one says is part of that action. Note that my assessment of the Prophet is based on both what he did and said. Muhammad never promoted nor commit suicide.
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 6:56pm On Dec 13, 2013
striktlymi:

People are judged by their actions, I quite agree. What one says is part of that action. Note that my assessment of the Prophet is based on both what he did and said. Muhammad never promoted nor commit suicide.

Are you really sure you want to go down this lane? Cos its obvious you don't know what ure saying.

MOHAMMED PROMOTED SUICIDE

2 Likes

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 7:02pm On Dec 13, 2013
rationalmind:

Are you really sure you want to go down this lane? Cos its obvious you don't know what ure saying.

MOHAMMED PROMOTED SUICIDE

Any evidence?
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 13, 2013
striktlymi:

Any evidence?

Here

Bukhari Volume 9, Book 83, Number 29:
Narrated Salama:
We went out with the Prophet to
Khaibar. A man (from the companions)
said, "O 'Amir! Let us hear some of
your Huda (camel-driving songs.)" So
he sang some of them (i.e. a lyric in
harmony with the camels walk). The
Prophet said, "Who is the driver (of
these camels)?" They said, "Amir." The
Prophet said, "May Allah bestow His
Mercy on him !" The people said, "O
Allah's Apostle! Would that you let us
enjoy his company longer!" Then
'Amir was killed the following morning.
The people said, "The good deeds of
'Amir are lost as he has killed himself."

I returned at the time while they were
talking about that. I went to the
Prophet and said, "O Allah's Prophet!
Let my father be sacrificed for you!
The people claim that 'Amir's good
deeds are lost."The Prophet said,
"Whoever says so is a liar, for 'Amir
will have a double reward as he
exerted himself to obey Allah and
fought in Allah's Cause. No other way
of killing would have granted him
greater reward.

5 Likes

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Dec 13, 2013
Now what exactly did you understand from the quote you gave?

1) Is it that Amir was killed?

rationalmind:

" Then
'Amir was killed the following morning.

2) Amir Killed himself?

rationalmind:
The people said, "The good deeds of
'Amir are lost as he has killed himself."

3) Amir probably died fighting in the cause of Allah?

rationalmind:
"The Prophet said,
"Whoever says so is a liar, for 'Amir
will have a double reward as he
exerted himself to obey Allah and
fought in Allah's Cause.
No other way
of killing would have granted him
greater reward.
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 8:48pm On Dec 13, 2013
striktlymi: Now what exactly did you understand from the quote you gave?

1) Is it that Amir was killed?

2) Amir Killed himself?

3) Amir probably died fighting in the cause of Allah?

Good bye

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 8:49pm On Dec 13, 2013
rationalmind:

Good bye

That's what I thought!
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Ajibam: 9:03pm On Dec 13, 2013
rationalmind:

Good bye
gringrin
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by lanrexlan(m): 9:13pm On Dec 13, 2013
Narrated Salama bin Al-Aqwa(May Allah be pleased with him):We went out with Allah's Apostle(pbuh) to Khaibar and we travelled during the night.
A man amongst the people said to 'amir bin Al-Aqwa',Won't you let us hear your poetry?" 'Amir was a poet,and so he got down and started (chanting Huda) reciting for the people,poetry that keep pace with the camel's foot steps,saying,
"O Allah! Without You we would not have been guided on the right path,neither would we have given in charity,nor would we have prayed.So please forgive us what we have committed.Let all of us be sacrificed for Your cause and when we meet our enemy,make our feet firm and bestow peace and calmness on us and if they (our enemy) will call us towards an unjust thing we will refuse.The infidels have made a hue and cry to ask others help against us''.
Allah's Apostle said,"Who is that driver (of the camels)?"They said, "He is 'amir bin Al-Aqwa."' He said, "May Allah bestow His mercy on him."A man among the people said,Has Martyrdom been granted to him, O Allah's Prophet! Would that you let us enjoy his company longer."
We reached (the people of) Khaibar and besieged them till we were stricken with severe hunger but Allah helped the Muslims conquer Khaibar.In the evening of its conquest the people made many fires. Allah's Apostle asked,"What are those fires? For what are you making fires?" They said, "For cooking meat." He asked, "What kind of meat?" They said, "Donkeys' meat." Allah's Apostle said,Throw away the meat and break the cooking pots."
A man said, O Allah's Apostle! Shall we throw away the meat and wash the cooking pots?" He said, "You can do that too."
When the army files aligned in rows (for the battle),'amir's sword was a short one and while attacking a Jew with it in order to hit him,the sharp edge of the sword turned back and hit 'amir's knee and caused him to die.
When the Muslims returned (from the battle),Salama said, Allah's Apostle saw me pale and said, 'What is wrong with you?"' I said, "Let my parents be sacrificed for you! The people claim that all the deeds of amir have been annulled." The Prophet asked, "Who said so?" I replied, "So-and-so and so-and-so and Usaid bin Al-Hudair Al-Ansari said,
Whoever says so is telling a lie.Verily,amir will have double reward.(While speaking) the Prophet put two of his fingers together to indicate that, and added,He was really a hard-working man and a Mujahid (devout fighter in Allah's Cause) and rarely have there lived in it (i.e., Medina or the battle-field) an "Arab like him[Sahih Al-Bukhari Book 73,Book of Good Manners and Form,Hadith Number 169].
@rationalmind,the Hadith above is very clear.Amir(May Allah be pleased with him) never committed suicide,he was a great fighter in the way of Allah.He was fighting in Allah's cause when he was killed and that's the reason the prophet(pbuh)said he had double reward.
Islam frowns against suicide and no single verse of the Quran supports suicide.Allah says in the glorious Quran in
Surah An-Nisa 4:29 ...And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another).Surely,Allah is Most Merciful to you

Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) not for once supported suicide talkless of promising a person that commits suicide a double reward.The prophet(pbuh) was reported saying on the authority of Abu Huraira(May Allah be pleased with him):The Prophet(pbuh) said:Whoever purposely throws himself from a mountain and kills himself,will be in the (Hell) Fire falling down into it and abiding therein perpetually forever;and whoever drinks poison and kills himself with it,he will be carrying his poison in his hand and drinking it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever;and whoever kills himself with an iron weapon,will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabbing his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever.[Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 6,Hadith Number 670].

4 Likes

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Mintayo(m): 9:48pm On Dec 13, 2013
rationalmind:

Good bye
Loool...cheesycheesycheesy
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by POPEII: 11:34pm On Dec 13, 2013
Why do we discuss Islam in the Christian section? Please move this trash to where it belongs

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by MonsieurCoder: 11:40pm On Dec 13, 2013
POPE II: Why do we discuss Islam in the Christian section? Please move this trash to where it belongs

which christian section?
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by POPEII: 11:42pm On Dec 13, 2013
MonsieurCoder:

which christian section?
you are in the Christian section
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by MonsieurCoder: 12:35am On Dec 14, 2013
POPE II: you are in the Christian section

Shut Up

This is the religion section. Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Obatalaism, whateverism. tongue etc ALL RELIGIONS
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by Nobody: 7:52am On Dec 14, 2013
lanrexlan: Narrated Salama bin Al-Aqwa(May Allah be pleased with him):We went out with Allah's Apostle(pbuh) to Khaibar and we travelled during the night.
A man amongst the people said to 'amir bin Al-Aqwa',Won't you let us hear your poetry?" 'Amir was a poet,and so he got down and started (chanting Huda) reciting for the people,poetry that keep pace with the camel's foot steps,saying,
"O Allah! Without You we would not have been guided on the right path,neither would we have given in charity,nor would we have prayed.So please forgive us what we have committed.Let all of us be sacrificed for Your cause and when we meet our enemy,make our feet firm and bestow peace and calmness on us and if they (our enemy) will call us towards an unjust thing we will refuse.The infidels have made a hue and cry to ask others help against us''.
Allah's Apostle said,"Who is that driver (of the camels)?"They said, "He is 'amir bin Al-Aqwa."' He said, "May Allah bestow His mercy on him."A man among the people said,Has Martyrdom been granted to him, O Allah's Prophet! Would that you let us enjoy his company longer."
We reached (the people of) Khaibar and besieged them till we were stricken with severe hunger but Allah helped the Muslims conquer Khaibar.In the evening of its conquest the people made many fires. Allah's Apostle asked,"What are those fires? For what are you making fires?" They said, "For cooking meat." He asked, "What kind of meat?" They said, "Donkeys' meat." Allah's Apostle said,Throw away the meat and break the cooking pots."
A man said, O Allah's Apostle! Shall we throw away the meat and wash the cooking pots?" He said, "You can do that too."
When the army files aligned in rows (for the battle),'amir's sword was a short one and while attacking a Jew with it in order to hit him,the sharp edge of the sword turned back and hit 'amir's knee and caused him to die.
When the Muslims returned (from the battle),Salama said, Allah's Apostle saw me pale and said, 'What is wrong with you?"' I said, "Let my parents be sacrificed for you! The people claim that all the deeds of amir have been annulled." The Prophet asked, "Who said so?" I replied, "So-and-so and so-and-so and Usaid bin Al-Hudair Al-Ansari said,
Whoever says so is telling a lie.Verily,amir will have double reward.(While speaking) the Prophet put two of his fingers together to indicate that, and added,He was really a hard-working man and a Mujahid (devout fighter in Allah's Cause) and rarely have there lived in it (i.e., Medina or the battle-field) an "Arab like him[Sahih Al-Bukhari Book 73,Book of Good Manners and Form,Hadith Number 169].
@rationalmind,the Hadith above is very clear.Amir(May Allah be pleased with him) never committed suicide,he was a great fighter in the way of Allah.He was fighting in Allah's cause when he was killed and that's the reason the prophet(pbuh)said he had double reward.
Islam frowns against suicide and no single verse of the Quran supports suicide.Allah says in the glorious Quran in
Surah An-Nisa 4:29 ...And do not kill yourselves (nor kill one another).Surely,Allah is Most Merciful to you

Prophet Muhammad(pbuh) not for once supported suicide talkless of promising a person that commits suicide a double reward.The prophet(pbuh) was reported saying on the authority of Abu Huraira(May Allah be pleased with him):The Prophet(pbuh) said:Whoever purposely throws himself from a mountain and kills himself,will be in the (Hell) Fire falling down into it and abiding therein perpetually forever;and whoever drinks poison and kills himself with it,he will be carrying his poison in his hand and drinking it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever;and whoever kills himself with an iron weapon,will be carrying that weapon in his hand and stabbing his abdomen with it in the (Hell) Fire wherein he will abide eternally forever.[Sahih Al-Bukhari Volume 6,Hadith Number 670].

Cool!
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by POPEII: 10:40am On Dec 14, 2013
MonsieurCoder:

Shut Up

This is the religion section. Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Obatalaism, whateverism. tongue etc ALL RELIGIONS
muslims have their section, and they are the ones who can answer this thread.
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by MonsieurCoder: 10:41am On Dec 14, 2013
POPE II: muslims have their section, and they are the ones who can answer this thread.

undecided

This is a Religion Section, any Religion, whether they have their section or not is none my business.
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by POPEII: 10:43am On Dec 14, 2013
MonsieurCoder:

undecided

This is a Religion Section, any Religion, whether they have their section or not is none my business.
what is this one saying sef .

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by harbiola1(m): 5:18pm On Dec 14, 2013
POPE II: what is this one saying sef .

The sentence is too grammatical i pressumed? grin grin
Anyway, what he was saying is that u should grow up like him. undecided
Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by POPEII: 5:23pm On Dec 14, 2013
MonsieurCoder:

undecided

why do they have their own section then?

1 Like

Re: Is Islam Misunderstood? by POPEII: 5:23pm On Dec 14, 2013
harbiola1:

The sentence is too grammatical i pressumed? grin grin
Anyway, what he was saying is that u should grow up like him. undecided
whatever

(1) (Reply)

Drunkeness / A Nairalander's Christmas Message To All Nairalanders / The Great E-debate: Episode 1: Does God Exist?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.