Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,590 members, 7,837,234 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 07:31 PM

Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. (3960 Views)

Is Euthanasia A Sin ??? / Euthanasia And Religion(christianity) / Euthanasia (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Joshthefirst(m): 9:11am On Dec 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wow .....just wow
well, is "wow" an answer?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by MrTroll(m): 9:38am On Dec 17, 2013
Reyginus: This is one of those tautological questions like, is a barchelor a married man?, does a carpenter make furniture, is the black goat black in colour?

To a answer a question like this the way you did, you must fall into the assumption that a dead man is something that has life, in the first place. Though answers are somethings provided but a look at it will show that they are repeating what already is in the question.

A dead man is a man who doesn't exist anymore. First, he doesn't exist. So anything you say about him with respect to existence would be completely wrong.

Just the same thing when I tell you that there is a food on the desert that doesn't exists but go ahead to say that it is very delicious. To be delicious, it has to first exist.
you are just running around dodging the question. you can see that giving the patient a painless death instead of allowing him to continually suffer pain until death is the moral thing to do. haggling about the definition of dead and how a dead person does not experience the relief is simply obfuscation.

I thought that by calling synecdoche you would understand perfectly what I am talking about. Anyways, no problem.
I didn't agree with that assumption.

I don't think so. The thing is, we cannot say that a person who cannot afford a treatment bill is asking for Euthanasia.

have you heard of passive euthanasia?

anyhow, take a look at this explanation and tell me what you think...
wikipedia: "In summary, we have argued ... that the death of a human being, A, is an instance of euthanasia if and only if (1) A's death is intended by at least one other human being, B, where B is either the cause of death or a causally relevant feature of the event resulting in death (whether by action or by omission); (2) there is either sufficient current evidence for B to believe that A is acutely suffering or irreversibly comatose, or there is sufficient current evidence related to A's present condition such that one or more known causal laws supports B's belief that A will be in a condition of acute suffering or irreversible comatoseness; (3) (a) B's primary reason for intending A's death is cessation of A's (actual or predicted future) suffering or irreversible comatoseness, where B does not intend A's death for a different primary reason, though there may be other relevant reasons, and (b) there is sufficient current evidence for either A or B that causal means to A's death will not produce any more suffering than would be produced for A if B were not to intervene; (4) the causal means to the event of A's death are chosen by A or B to be as painless as possible, unless either A or B has an overriding reason for a more painful causal means, where the reason for choosing the latter causal means does not conflict with the evidence in 3b; (5) A is a nonfetal organism."
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by quivah(f): 9:47am On Dec 17, 2013
Reyginus: Is this 'certain level' by nature of being a 'certain level' good or will the 'certain level' be evil?
Better still
Will any good 'certain level' render a good phenomenon impotent or will the 'certain level' promote a good phenomenon?
the 'certain level' by nature of being a 'certain level' evil..
It will promote a good phenomenon..

It should..
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 10:51am On Dec 17, 2013
Logicboy03:

Wow .....just wow
Lol. Is this all you've got to say?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 11:11am On Dec 17, 2013
Mr Troll: you are just running around dodging the question. you can see that giving the patient a painless death instead of allowing him to continually suffer pain until death is the moral thing to do. haggling about the definition of dead and how a dead person does not experience the relief is simply obfuscation.
Honestly speaking , I don't think you know the weight of what you are saying. I don't dodge questions, bro.

How do you answer a question like this: What part of the desert do you find polar bear?

Mr Troll:
I didn't agree with that assumption.

have you heard of passive euthanasia?

anyhow, take a look at this explanation and tell me what you think...
Number 1 plainly leaves the right of A's existence to B which is not a healthy position.

Number 2. When he is acutely suffering, A cannot be in a position to make a decision for him. Acute pain unlike a chronic one is minor. This contradicts number 1.

Number 3. a.The problem is still the same with number 1. It suggests that every decision is left only to B who cannot tell if A is still yearning for existence, not that even if he is not, it is automatically right. Even though there is room for number 2 to contradict it.
b. This also suggests that one there is an evidence for B there shouldn't be any for A. Which again appears to be the problem with 1 and 3a.

Number 4
This shifts the question to the morality of suicide. Do you think that acute suffering is enough for suicide?

Number 5. This is irrelevant.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 11:13am On Dec 17, 2013
quivah:
the 'certain level' by nature of being a 'certain level' evil..
It will promote a good phenomenon..

It should..

If it will promote a good phenomenon doesn't it imply that your certain level will allow a morally good Evolution to happen or will it prevent a morally good Evolution?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Kay17: 12:14pm On Dec 17, 2013
Reyginus: What is the legal definition of murder?

Which law are we talking about here?

Do we now agree completely because it is allowed by the law even when we can see for ourselves that a man shouldn't decide when another dies.

Murder is defined as unlawful killing. Note that some killings are considered lawful. Euthanasia if legally permissible, would not be murder.

There are many examples parent-minor relationship, principal-agent relationship, even employer employee relationship. A person's consent is satisfactory in lieu of another's.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by MrTroll(m): 2:17pm On Dec 17, 2013
Reyginus: Honestly speaking , I don't think you know the weight of what you are saying. I don't dodge questions, bro.

How do you answer a question like this: What part of the desert do you find polar bear?
lol.

i'm afraid you did not fully understand the explanation I presented. it was meant to explain it in cases where the patient is unable to give consent e.g coma...
Number 1 plainly leaves the right of A's existence to B which is not a healthy position.
it is, if A is unconscious and B is otherwise responsible for A i.e intimate family member

Number 2. When he is acutely suffering, A cannot be in a position to make a decision for him. Acute pain unlike a chronic one is minor. This contradicts number 1.
why not? saying acute pain is not like chronic pain is irrelevant and pointless.

Number 3. a.The problem is still the same with number 1. It suggests that every decision is left only to B who cannot tell if A is still yearning for existence, not that even if he is not, it is automatically right. Even though there is room for number 2 to contradict it.
yearning for existence? what does this mean? A is terminally ill, yearning for existence will not keep you alive. you are still going to die, albeit painfully.

b. This also suggests that one there is an evidence for B there shouldn't be any for A. Which again appears to be the problem with 1 and 3a.
no. that is not what 3b is saying. it is saying that if there is sufficient evidence to show that the cause of the death will not be more painful than if A is left alone or allowed to die naturally.

Number 4
This shifts the question to the morality of suicide. Do you think that acute suffering is enough for suicide?
what how did you come to this conclusion from 4?

Number 5. This is irrelevant.
agreed.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 7:17pm On Dec 17, 2013
Kay 17:

Murder is defined as unlawful killing. Note that some killings are considered lawful. Euthanasia if legally permissible, would not be murder.
In other words what you are saying is that in countries where it is not legalised it is murder but in a country where it is, it is not.

This just goes to show that we should not emphasize on legality when speaking of Euthanasia. Because from both sides as we have seen, it is both wrong and not wrong.

It is either a thing is wrong or it is not. We can only know if Euthanasia is right or wrong by looking at the meaning of existence and lack of it. What is to be made non-existent better to be unhealthy in existence?

Kay 17:
There are many examples parent-minor relationship, principal-agent relationship, even employer employee relationship. A person's consent is satisfactory in lieu of another's.
If I may ask, is there anyone like patient-family relationship and what does the rationale behind it look like?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by quivah(f): 7:25pm On Dec 17, 2013
Reyginus: If it will promote a good phenomenon doesn't it imply that your certain level will allow a morally good Evolution to happen or will it prevent a morally good Evolution?
thought my prev post should give you the ans!

Anyways,former .
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 7:46pm On Dec 17, 2013
Mr Troll: lol.

i'm afraid you did not fully understand the explanation I presented. it was meant to explain it in cases where the patient is unable to give consent e.g coma... it is, if A is unconscious and B is otherwise responsible for A i.e intimate family member
Are you still following at all, bro. I think you should have concentrated on the burden your question created but you seem to be mixing it up with the information from wikipedia.

The problem was whether a dead man feels pain or not and not about what Mr A has to tell our dictator, Mr B.

Mr Troll:

why not? saying acute pain is not like chronic pain is irrelevant and pointless.
C'mon bro, with the little we have been through, I don't think I will make a mistake in assuming you are man of science.

If I am right in my assumption. This is why I think you are wrong in saying that it is irrelevant.

The wikipedia article you presented always with the aid of an 'either' conjuction, presents two options.

In one of our options it was assumed that it could be as a result of acute pain. In medical science, we are told of the existence of two forms of pain-acute and chronic. Correct me if I am wrong.

The acute type is minor and usually non-repetitive over a vast duration, and cannot cause complete muscoloskeletal degeneration, and responds faster to musculoskeletal resorption while the chronic pain type is deadlier and only of the two types capable of bringing man to extinction.

If the above is true as my lecturers and anatomy textbooks would have me believe, then the only pain capable of metaphorically dwarfing a human into contemplating Euthanasia will be the chronic type.

Except the article meant acute for local pain.

Mr Troll:

yearning for existence? what does this mean? A is terminally ill, yearning for existence will not keep you alive. you are still going to die, albeit painfully.
You are seriously asking, bro? Ask your wikipedia brother

Mr Troll:

no. that is not what 3b is saying. it is saying that if there is sufficient evidence to show that the cause of the death will not be more painful than if A is left alone or allowed to die naturally.
Maybe I understand the below in the wrong sense:

' 3 (b) there is sufficient current evidence for either A or B that causal means to A's death will not produce any more suffering than would be produced for A if B were not to intervene. Please explain.

Mr Troll:

what how did you come to this conclusion from 4?
Read for yourself, bro.

(4) the causal means to the event of A's death are chosen by A or B to be as painless as possible, unless either A or B has an overriding reason for a more painful causal means, where the reason for choosing the latter causal means does not conflict with the evidence in 3b.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 7:51pm On Dec 17, 2013
quivah:
thought my prev post should give you the ans!

Anyways,former .
Good. Better have it in mimd. Do you consider death a process engineered by Evolution or you will either agree that death is not engineered by Evolution?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by quivah(f): 8:24pm On Dec 17, 2013
Reyginus: Good. Better have it in mimd. Do you consider death a process engineered by Evolution or you will either agree that death is not engineered by Evolution?
our dying experiences is engineered by evolution psychologically..

That's all I know here..
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 10:26pm On Dec 17, 2013
quivah:
our dying experiences is engineered by evolution psychologically..

That's all I know here..
By psychologically do you mean that our dying experience is engineered only in the mind or that it is something more than it?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by quivah(f): 6:36am On Dec 18, 2013
Reyginus: By psychologically do you mean that our dying experience is engineered only in the mind or that it is something more than it?
http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/iage/201312/death-experience
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Kay17: 6:46am On Dec 18, 2013
Reyginus:

It is either a thing is wrong or it is not. We can only know if Euthanasia is right or wrong by looking at the meaning of existence and lack of it. What is to be made non-existent better to be unhealthy in existence?

As I have said earlier, I will look at the intents. The question "is it done in good faith" will be examined. An instance wherein non existence is preferrable is one of hopelessness.

Reyginus: If I may ask, is there anyone like patient-family relationship and what does the rationale behind it look like?

The examples I gave were merely to disprove and dismantle your misconception that the consent of B can be satisfactory in lieu of A's. Most fidicuary relationships are set up that way.

I still insist Euthanasia is still a medicine.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 7:56am On Dec 18, 2013
quivah:
http://m.psychologytoday.com/blog/iage/201312/death-experience
I don't understand what the text is talking about or how it relates to the question I asked.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 8:09am On Dec 18, 2013
Kay 17:

As I have said earlier, I will look at the intents. The question "is it done in good faith" will be examined. An instance wherein non existence is preferrable is one of hopelessness.
For non-existence to be preferrable it has to be a state of existence but if it a state of existence it can no longer be non-existence.

We can not be speaking of preferring something which is alive over something that is out of life. For anything to be preferrable above the other the two must first be in existence.
Kay 17:

The examples I gave were merely to disprove and dismantle your misconception that the consent of B can be satisfactory in lieu of A's. Most fidicuary relationships are set up that way.

I still insist Euthanasia is still a medicine.
But like we know, the work of a medicine is to cure the ailing patient and in its disperse of duty the restoration to normalcy must be palpable.
You cannot claim to have helped somebody who is dead and incapable of experiencing pain or pleasure.

The only thing medicinal about Euthanasia is that it uses drugs to perpetrate its wicked act.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by MrTroll(m): 10:17am On Dec 18, 2013
Ok, let's take it slow Rey...why do you think Euthanasia is a wicked act?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by quivah(f): 10:23am On Dec 18, 2013
Reyginus: I don't understand what the text is talking about or how it relates to the question I asked.
Our dying experiences relate to the mind. Same with death..

While physiologically, death comes in numerous ways... destroyed tissues,heart Ps! Anything that has got any harms to do with important parts of the body... <<< here; in sickness or accident.

But in old age: mostly worn out tissues ..

Evolution has something to do with death...which i hope i can explain better...

This should answer your q!
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 18, 2013
Mr Troll: Ok, let's take it slow Rey...why do you think Euthanasia is a wicked act?
Lol. I will answer you but I will first like to see how you respond my last post. Let's clear that aspect before the argument loses purpose.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 10:44am On Dec 18, 2013
quivah:
Our dying experiences relate to the mind. Same with death..

While physiologically, death comes in numerous ways... destroyed tissues,heart Ps! Anything that has got any harms to do with important parts of the body... <<< here; in sickness or accident.

But in old age: mostly worn out tissues ..

Evolution has something to do with death...which i hope i can explain better...

This should answer your q!
Very good. Since you are of the opinion that Evolution as a morally good phenomenon engineers death, would it be right to interfere with death or you agree that it would be wrong?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by quivah(f): 5:49pm On Dec 18, 2013
Reyginus: Very good. Since you are of the opinion that Evolution as a morally good phenomenon engineers death, would it be right to interfere with death or you agree that it would be wrong?
Your prev questions are same with this.
Again, at certain levels.. its right to interfere with death...

Nb; here as regards to this topic,no body is interfering with death..
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 7:13pm On Dec 18, 2013
quivah:
Your prev questions are same with this.
Again, at certain levels.. its right to interfere with death...

Nb; here as regards to this topic,no body is interfering with death..
You are complicating the whole issue again.

At the certain level where it is right to interfere with a morally good Evolution do you agree that Evolution is no longer a morally good phenomenon or will you agree that it is a good phenomenon?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by quivah(f): 7:23pm On Dec 18, 2013
^ at this point I would rather back out ..

Gimme a mention when the main points for the topic is needed! And not some Q's that's leading no where..
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 8:39pm On Dec 18, 2013
quivah: ^ at this point I would rather back out ..

Gimme a mention when the main points for the topic is needed! And not some Q's that's leading no where..
Lololol. You are a very funny lady. This is what dialectics is all about. We learn through asking questions. I thought you have an understanding of it before accepting the approach.

How do you suggest I go about it now?
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Kay17: 10:10pm On Dec 18, 2013
Reyginus: For non-existence to be preferrable it has to be a state of existence but if it a state of existence it can no longer be non-existence.

We can not be speaking of preferring something which is alive over something that is out of life. For anything to be preferrable above the other the two must first be in existence.

That's your arbitrary, dogmatic fragile moral premise. You were to weigh which of non existence and existence was moral, and you managed to use existence to justify nonexistence's immorality. Such a faulty thought process.

Reyginus: But like we know, the work of a medicine is to cure the ailing patient and in its disperse of duty the restoration to normalcy must be palpable.
You cannot claim to have helped somebody who is dead and incapable of experiencing pain or pleasure.

The only thing medicinal about Euthanasia is that it uses drugs to perpetrate its wicked act.

As I said earlier, it is not in every case a doctor's duty is to restore normalcy. Sometime/ many times, a doctor is faced with an incurable disease. His main duty is to care.

Euthanasia (repeatedly said) in some cases relieves the extreme pain and other times restores the human dignity and spiritual value as it rescues a patient from the most dehumanising conditions of the terminal disease.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by MrTroll(m): 12:22am On Dec 19, 2013
Reyginus: Are you still following at all, bro. I think you should have concentrated on the burden your question created but you seem to be mixing it up with the information from wikipedia.

The problem was whether a dead man feels pain or not and not about what Mr A has to tell our dictator, Mr B.

C'mon bro, with the little we have been through, I don't think I will make a mistake in assuming you are man of science.

If I am right in my assumption. This is why I think you are wrong in saying that it is irrelevant.

The wikipedia article you presented always with the aid of an 'either' conjuction, presents two options.

In one of our options it was assumed that it could be as a result of acute pain. In medical science, we are told of the existence of two forms of pain-acute and chronic. Correct me if I am wrong.

The acute type is minor and usually non-repetitive over a vast duration, and cannot cause complete muscoloskeletal degeneration, and responds faster to musculoskeletal resorption while the chronic pain type is deadlier and only of the two types capable of bringing man to extinction.

If the above is true as my lecturers and anatomy textbooks would have me believe, then the only pain capable of metaphorically dwarfing a human into contemplating Euthanasia will be the chronic type.

Except the article meant acute for local pain.

You are seriously asking, bro? Ask your wikipedia brother

Maybe I understand the below in the wrong sense:

' 3 (b) there is sufficient current evidence for either A or B that causal means to A's death will not produce any more suffering than would be produced for A if B were not to intervene. Please explain.

Read for yourself, bro.

(4) the causal means to the event of A's death are chosen by A or B to be as painless as possible, unless either A or B has an overriding reason for a more painful causal means, where the reason for choosing the latter causal means does not conflict with the evidence in 3b.
the whole of that extract I posted tries to show how euthanasia is NOT murder even if it wasn't done with the consent of the patient. If you have a problem with the explanation simply show, I'm getting tired of the rigmarole. Show how euthanasia is a wicked act or how instead of letting someone die painfully, you give him a painless death.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 19, 2013
Kay 17:

That's your arbitrary, dogmatic fragile moral premise. You were to weigh which of non existence and existence was moral, and you managed to use existence to justify nonexistence's immorality. Such a faulty thought process.
Lol. It is not faulty in any way. I think you should take a look too at your premise.

Your assertion is built on the wrong premise that being in existence with manageable pain is worse than being made to die, even when there is no good experience from being made non-existent.

Kay 17:

As I said earlier, it is not in every case a doctor's duty is to restore normalcy. Sometime/ many times, a doctor is faced with an incurable disease. His main duty is to care.
Of course you are right but murder is not a form of care. You cannot claim to care for any person by killing him or her.
The moment he cannot experience anything, he is no longer under the ability to receive care.
Kay 17:

Euthanasia (repeatedly said) in some cases relieves the extreme pain and other times restores the human dignity and spiritual value as it rescues a patient from the most dehumanising conditions of the terminal disease.
Lol. How do you restore the dignity and relieve the pain of something that doesn't exist?

1 Like

Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 19, 2013
Mr Troll: the whole of that extract I posted tries to show how euthanasia is NOT murder even if it wasn't done with the consent of the patient. If you have a problem with the explanation simply show, I'm getting tired of the rigmarole. Show how euthanasia is a wicked act or how instead of letting someone die painfully, you give him a painless death.
C'mon! Dude, you are still saying the same thing.

I only showed you how the article you posted is saying something wrong and you are supposed to show me how my understanding of it is wrong not going back to the initial subject. If it is of no use, then what is the essence of posting the article in the first place.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Kay17: 8:29pm On Dec 19, 2013
^^

@regynius

Anaethesia (pardon my spelling) works similarly to death. The patient under such medicine, does not feel any pain or pleasure. However his unconscious state is desirable for surgeries rather than allow the patient writhe and wriggle about in pains.

As to my dignity argument. You haven't had a strong commandeering, almost omnipotent father with wealth and connections. Yet because of Parkinson's Disease, he is reduced to a babbling baby, helpless, graceless, lost all his powerful countenance and awaiting an ignominous end. You might not understand.
Re: Euthanasia. Discussions with Quivah and Any Interested Party. by Nobody: 7:43am On Dec 20, 2013
Kay 17: ^^

@regynius

Anaethesia (pardon my spelling) works similarly to death. The patient under such medicine, does not feel any pain or pleasure. However his unconscious state is desirable for surgeries rather than allow the patient writhe and wriggle about in pains.
I don't understand. Is this the same thing as Euthanasia. As in, what role does it play in this argument?
Kay 17:

As to my dignity argument. You haven't had a strong commandeering, almost omnipotent father with wealth and connections. Yet because of Parkinson's Disease, he is reduced to a babbling baby, helpless, graceless, lost all his powerful countenance and awaiting an ignominous end. You might not understand.
I think I understand now when you speak of dignity. But there is still a problem. The problem is, murdering him will not restore his dignity.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Every Pastor Who Collects Tithes Is A Thief – Pastor Femi Aribisala / "Not Even As An Unbeliever Will My Husband Rape Someone" Mrs Fatoyinbo / Is Is Right As A Christian To Kiss Your Girlfriend Once In A While

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 158
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.