Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,443 members, 7,823,036 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 10:10 PM

Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire (9545 Views)

The Burning Of The Demolished Oshodi Market In Lagos State Nigeria - Photos / [photo] Westminister Market In Apapa On Fire / Fire At Aleshinloye Market In Ibadan (Pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Johnnycife(m): 11:30am On Dec 17, 2013
Fire thats serious i believe someone must be cooking rice and stew inside the market or something
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by superior494(m): 11:33am On Dec 17, 2013
End year tinz!
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by RedCard1(m): 11:36am On Dec 17, 2013
I was there. I was even the first to create a thread on it @4:am but it didn't hit the front page. The fire was 8 much. It affected the new ultra market building a little. People that sells along Sangana were happy cos it didn't affect them much. You should the stores by Ikwerre Road....ashes. Mile 1 market catches fire almost every year. Many people are saying that ritualists sends the fire spiritually. Naija likes ameboism sha. The government can't even understand the importance of the fire service. The fire came in by 3am and while people living around there were busy packing xmas gifts from the unaffected areas at that time, the fire service didn't show up. Which way Nigeria?
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Gee001: 11:40am On Dec 17, 2013
Chei I feel so sorry for all the traders after all the labour 4rm Jan.-Dec. Now wey christmas don reach. God forbid bad thing. Even my shoe customer oo my shoes still dey him hand.*sobbing*
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Nobody: 11:41am On Dec 17, 2013
k.style:
how would I know....do we even have fire fighters in dis country...I heard d response of d fire service was nothing 2 write home abt...dey brought water in basins 2 put out d fire, alongside their outdated trucks....fire service pple just dey jonz lyk say dem b moutuary attendant...I hope the affected traders are fully insured o...if not.......
I don't know abt the rest of nigeria but kaduna state has a very good fire service,i witnessed them in action yesterday. Though they arrived late, they had good equipment and worked professionally
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by obyo: 11:45am On Dec 17, 2013
Oh, God have mercy
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by redsquare(m): 11:48am On Dec 17, 2013
The whole mile 1 market is razed down except the few new blocks of stalls in the market. Properties worth hundreds of millions of naira destroyed. My office is just 3 blocks away from the market. I learnt the incidence started in the wee hours of the morning. You need to see the affected victims to understand the extent of damage/loss. My heart goes out to the affected traders who means of livelihood went up in flames. I pray God to comfort and provide for them and their family at this trying moment. This is also a wake-up call to the Rivers State govt to equip its fire service. I was really embarrased seeing fire fighters with outdated equipment trying to quench the fire.

1 Like

Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by passionate88: 12:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
Imagine, as amaechi just join apc, market dn start to burn, next fit b oil mill, then friut market. Amaechi na wa to u o
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by nwaobitex: 12:10pm On Dec 17, 2013
fire!
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Nobody: 12:20pm On Dec 17, 2013
Police no dey..fire fighters gbam..
How many children burnt to death in PH in an Airport because there's no response unit..

Rivers state indeed
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by sweetestguy(m): 12:21pm On Dec 17, 2013
I hrd abwt it dis monin,I had to go from my house @ agip to mile 1, it was really a sorry sight to behold,,,may God grant the traders there the fortitude to bear the loss
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by 1shortblackboy: 12:23pm On Dec 17, 2013
O boy ! Na only ashes remain for there o
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by shyvicky: 12:32pm On Dec 17, 2013
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by isaacosas01(m): 12:56pm On Dec 17, 2013
Ken_Jak:
But,what is it exactly that is so special about being the first to comment? I call this nonsense when you start shouting saying you're the first to comment.
Na bad belle dey worry u, in your entire miserable life u Hv Neva been 1st in anything... ma message 4 u is GO & DIE
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by donkuso(f): 12:59pm On Dec 17, 2013
This will soon be linked to GEJ and Bipi for causing chaos in rivers state.
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by starbuck(f): 1:03pm On Dec 17, 2013
The fire started in my elder sis shop who sells shoes and everything was completely razed down to ashes ...
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Nobody: 1:16pm On Dec 17, 2013
This mile one market keeps burning almost every year. I wonder why.
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by vivavik(f): 1:27pm On Dec 17, 2013
What this miserable govt is after is thr selfish interest. Both the federal, state and local govt is the same, all of thm, Amaechi, GEJ, tinubu, buhari and co are all birds of same feather. May God 4give us. I'm not happy wt this news @ all.
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 17, 2013
With the kind of money coming to Rivers state, Ameachi is just a Good Governor on papers, few standard roads, no new modern markets, no good motor park and bus stops, people build houses and stores any how, No city expansion, no new established roads, The link road b/w Woji and peter Odili road has not been finished for 2 years now for a less than 3 kilometer road, no body is controlling any body, its " do things the way you like" in Rivers state...The worst state I have ever lived in.....

1 Like

Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Youpele52: 2:14pm On Dec 17, 2013
You know something funny and annoying as hell.

Rivers State Fire Service Headquarters is very close to the market like 5 & 6.[b][/b]
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Beemhan(m): 2:57pm On Dec 17, 2013
pls its nt d whole market dat caught fire oh. its mainly d fruits& food section buh unfortunately der ar also oda guds in dat part of d markrt. frm provision shops, to jewelries, clothes..etc u name it. i stay oposite d market &@ about 3am we started hearin sounds lk machine gun fire, for a minute we all tot a massiv shootout btwm d police & robbers was in progress becos dere's a diamond, first bank, union bank & eko bank veri close to d market. wen we noticed thick blak smoke in d sky dats wen we realised it was a fire. we came outta da house & for d first tym in my life i saw an inferno dat rose almost as high as d street lights! we were standin close to d first bank buh we cud stil feel d heat of a fire dat was about 80yrds out. at about 3am dere was only one fire truck even doh d fire started by 2am. d fire raised d market and also gutted about 70% percent of a one storey residential buildin dats veri close to d market. if we had a competent fire service d fire wudnt hv burnt d buildin. i felt bad becos i hv frnds dat live dere. its much latr around to 4 dat mor trucks started cumin. at about sum minutes past 4am wen i went bk indoors to continu my slip dere were about 4fire trucks. sum say its an act of sabotage buh wateva d case, may God giv evryone d fortitude to bare dia losses
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Okijajuju1(m): 2:58pm On Dec 17, 2013
CHESSBOARD: With the kind of money coming to Rivers state, Ameachi is just a Good Governor on papers, few standard roads, no new modern markets, no good motor park and bus stops, people build houses and stores any how, No city expansion, no new established roads, The link road b/w Woji and peter Odili road has not been finished for 2 years now for a less than 3 kilometer road, no body is controlling any body, its " do things the way you like" in Rivers state...The worst state I have ever lived in.....

Chessboard..

Its one thing not to support Amaechi, its another thing to lie against Amaechi.

Few Good Roads?! REALLY?! Name the few.. The only place that can say Amaechi has not reached them is Obigbo.. Even the Woji Road that people used to always talk about forgetting the politics involved is under construction.. Trans Amadi road as well is now being worked on.

No New Mordern Markets?! Then what will you call the New Mile One market?!

No Good Motor Parks?! Mba.. Go and see the Motor Parks he built from scratch at both the Airport & the Eleme. See the Tanker Stop also being built at Eleme. Mile 3 Park has also been redone. Bustops!! Bustops!!! Dont even go there.

People build houses and stores anyhow because Rivers State is mostly community lands. Thats the problem. Local Governments and Community leaders just sell lands anyhow they like.. Thats why he decided to do a city Expansion. YES!! He is expanding Port-Harcourt.. Have you heard of the Greater Port-Harcourt project?! Its real.. Try and lay your hands on the mad of the one near the Airport. I saw the place from the sky in a plane and was amazed.

The Link Road between Woji And Odili is at approx. 90% completion. I can see the darn thing from my house sef.

I can agree that Rivers State is not really the best place to live in Nigeria and is a disappointment as far as citties go, but it is not Amaechis fault, it is the RIvers Mans mentality that is killing the state..
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by duruiyke(m): 4:07pm On Dec 17, 2013
Its very sad
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by KenJak(m): 5:05pm On Dec 17, 2013
isaacosas01:
Na bad belle dey worry u, in your entire miserable life u Hv Neva been 1st in anything... ma message 4 u is GO & DIE
You have a very bad and dark eyes. Maybe you're a novice here. When it comes to being the first to comment here, I'm never lagged behind,always on top. And in leading in anywhere I am, I'm never lagged behind. I'm sure,since you were born,throughout your entire horrible and ridiculous life,you've never led. Now,cos you led in this topic,you started shouting like a kid. I'm sure you can never lead in anywhere you might be again. You should go and slaughter yourself. Fool behaving like a kid. You get no sense.
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by isaacosas01(m): 6:32pm On Dec 17, 2013
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by isaacosas01(m): 6:33pm On Dec 17, 2013
Ken_Jak:
You have a very bad and dark eyes. Maybe you're a novice here. When it comes to being the first to comment here, I'm never lagged behind,always on top. And in leading in anywhere I am, I'm never lagged behind. I'm sure,since you were born,throughout your entire horrible and ridiculous life,you've never led. Now,cos you led in this topic,you started shouting like a kid. I'm sure you can never lead in anywhere you might be again. You should go and slaughter yourself. Fool behaving like a kid. You get no sense.

Look at this useless Monkey... u Re a FOOL, a veri Big Fool... U Re nothing but a waste of Sperm, u should Hv been aborted and flushed down the Toilet.
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by talima(m): 7:10pm On Dec 17, 2013
Please I have a publication firm, we do magazine. I need how to get short sme code. Wer u can send message and get paid. Some should help me with genuine means
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by aydotcome86(m): 8:34pm On Dec 17, 2013
Okija_juju: [b]I guess this brings me to the next chapter of my Year Long Series Clueless Government, Clueless followers

Fire Service:: It is still rather amazing that all the governments that come into power seem not to appreciate the importance of certain social services like the Fire Service, the Ambulance service, the Police, e.t.c.

A few years ago, this same Mile One market was gutted by what would be the biggest fire ever in my history of Rivers State. The fire was so firece that it actually burnt down one of the Fire Service trucks that came to put out the blaze.

For those who dont know Port-Harcourt very well, The only Fire Service Station in the whole of Port Harcourt that I know of is located very close to this mile one market. Yet I can bet my money that the only competent fire fighters on the scene are not the governments fire fighters, but those of Companies like Shell, Total, Agip and co..

After the first fire, the government decided to build a proper market in place of the open stalls and sheds that were there initially. Problem is, the government only built on a small section of the Land, the rest of it slowly but surely went back to being the crazy market that it used to be.. Though in fairness to the government, the new market building had fire fighting equipments built into the property, the lack of development on the remaining portion of the land has now become the source of the new fire.

Now as usual, what would happen would be another clean up, speeches made, promises made, talks of compensation would be discussed but never actualized, people would pick up the pieces, and in 1 months time, this would all have been forgotten..

What about the other Areas of Rivers State that have no access to good Fire Service? Shouldnt there be atleast 1 fire service station in every local government area?!

This is why I keep saying that Nigeria is like a playground of kids.. We play and get injured, we get treated and instead of fixing that which caused us hurt, we just walk around it like it isnt there, until the next person gets injured..

My heart goes out to the Traders. My Grandmother lost 3 of her shops in the last fire and got scammed out of her claims by the government.[/b]

Am afraid o. Hope this will not happen at Lagos Market at Station Bus Stop along borokiri road! Yeeeeepa!!!!!!!!!
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by Jaynec(f): 10:04pm On Dec 17, 2013
Clattering sounds n gun shot sounds woke me up around 3 a.m. I heard my neighbours wispering in agony, then i saw dis huge light thru my room window. It was like hell fire. Am still shocked ,its so tragic. My neighbour's brother was affected. See grown up men weeping like kids , its so painful. He lost everything. He stocked his shop with new goods for xmas season,most of the goods was on credit hoping to make extra sales. His wife just gave birth. O o i believe God have greater plans for those affected. Its nt d end of d world. Whatever caused d fire disaster,God knows it all.
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by jpphilips(m): 5:34pm On Dec 18, 2013
Jaynec: Clattering sounds n gun shot sounds woke me up around 3 a.m. I heard my neighbours wispering in agony, then i saw dis huge light thru my room window. It was like hell fire. Am still shocked ,its so tragic. My neighbour's brother was affected. See grown up men weeping like kids , its so painful. He lost everything. He stocked his shop with new goods for xmas season,most of the goods was on credit hoping to make extra sales. His wife just gave birth. O o i believe God have greater plans for those affected. Its nt d end of d world. Whatever caused d fire disaster,God knows it all.

Smugglers hide fire arms in the market, it is common knowledge, once the market is on fire, you will definitely hear gun shots and explosives,
Ask yourself, where in Nigeria is immune to police invasion? ans; Market.
Smart smugglers, thieves, cultists etc store fire arms in the market.
Re: Mile1 Market In Port Harcourt On Fire by KenJak(m): 1:58pm On Dec 19, 2013
isaacosas01:
Look at this useless Monkey... u Re a FOOL, a veri Big Fool... U Re nothing but a waste of Sperm, u should Hv been aborted and flushed down the Toilet.
With no doubt, You are talking this to your parents,you are blaming your parents for not wasting your miserable life when they had the chance. You are a total schmuck and a useless blackguard. Intimate pal of idot.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Captain Hosa Okunbo Decorated With Lafayette Award At UN Day For Global Peace / Topup And Get Reward| TGR Reviews| All About Top Up And Get Reward / Shopping Experience With Mallforafrica.com

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.