Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,096 members, 7,821,795 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (38177 Views)

Taking Food Out Of Airplanes / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by justwise(m): 1:37pm On Dec 21, 2013
esere826: MODs get this out of FP
plagiarism kills innovation
NairaLand should not encourage such

Who is plagiarizing who?
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by iyaayi(f): 1:39pm On Dec 21, 2013
I see fellow passengers pilfer items like cutlery, blanket, from d airline. When challenged, they claim that they have paid for it alongside d ticket
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 1:39pm On Dec 21, 2013
This guy no get work jare.................Who cares.................let them enjoy there money, afterall they all paid for the trip mtcheeeeew.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 1:42pm On Dec 21, 2013
[size=30pt] why will I need to experience public plane ,when I'm still rocking the new plane I bought from yuzedo cool [/size]
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by abduldope(m): 1:43pm On Dec 21, 2013
na MESS! We knw jo wetin b FART ? Lol grin
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by 5thNOTE: 1:45pm On Dec 21, 2013
pweetixandy: dis wont change a fin
Do u ppl allow change? If they want to change u ppl, u hear ppl say it becus the correcter has low self esteem. Or u hear them mention patriotism. I wonder how we will teach ourselves and pass ourselves.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chairman: 1:45pm On Dec 21, 2013
There is this man in our flight from amsterdam to lagos eating rice with the back of his fork, he will gather this rice at the back of his fork with great effort and will not put it in his mouth until he makes sure that somebody is watching him. At a point I said 'bros which one be this na' and he said that this is the right way to eat rice, and I asked why he is trying this hard to show us. But the clapping at the landing of the plane is not a nigerian thing even the oyinbos are the ones who usualy start it before most ppl who may not even know why they are clapping joined them
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by 5thNOTE: 1:49pm On Dec 21, 2013
richgang: what of us wen never come enter plane , weti una say make we comment embarassed
U have it in u, talkless of every nook and cranny of this country. Ur buses that sandine pack humans on transits with micro buses mostly avialable in Africa is one. U can give further examples urself.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 1:51pm On Dec 21, 2013
funkybaby: Middle aged and obviously married men staring hard and trying so hard to start a conversation whilst seated next to them. cool

Very annoying I tell ya !
yeah,thats true.

Remember when i was travelling some time back and one stupid man farted.the smell caught me unawares while yawning. The odour enter my mouth straightchoooiii,e be like say make i vomit.since then,na because of people like them i dey carry air freshner.whether i dey on board o,whether i am in luxurious bus o or wherever,if anybody just pollute the air,with immediate effect i go use one hand cover nose,use the other hand spray air freshner around me.if you like look me till we get to destination,wetin concern me,you go look tire.

Infact i fit tolerate or endure any other anti social behaviour,but to infect the air with the gas comming out of your anus,ko jo!

2 Likes

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by gabrielmorinho(m): 1:54pm On Dec 21, 2013
Guidette: I just travelled 2 days ago on a flight to London. i think there were only 2 Nigerians like me on the flight and the rest were mostly British. i experience the periodic farting.... it was horrible. I think Oyinbo mess is worse than any other type of mess i have experienced in my life *pukes*
I also experienced the drinking thing too. An oyinbo lady sitting beside me drank nearly 8 bottles of the small wines they serve on BA. It got so bad that she went to sleep, woke up 2 hrs later and was nearly delirious. It took the intervention of 2 of the flight attendants to calm her down. They took her to the back of the plane and she disappeared for an hr. When she returned, I saw another 2 bottles of wine in her hand shocked

So please don't generalise.... Nigerians are not the only ones that do things like that. You need to travel other routes and see that human beings of all races and creeds are the same everywhere.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by 5thNOTE: 1:55pm On Dec 21, 2013
oloriooko: @ OP
So what? We are Nigerians and proud of it, we do not give a hoot whose ox is gourde cool
For your info, I experienced the clapping thing aboard a plane to Greece though a clean probably new plane, immediately we touched down all the oyinbos started clapping to my utmost surprise but if done here, it's an annoying thing abi?
U can be best and u can set modalities. What stops u frm trialing aftr others.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 1:57pm On Dec 21, 2013
chairman: There is this man in our flight from amsterdam to lagos eating rice with the back of his fork, he will gather this rice at the back of his fork with great effort and will not put it in his mouth until he makes sure that somebody is watching him. At a point I said 'bros which one be this na' and he said that this is the right way to eat rice, and I asked why he is trying this hard to show us. But the clapping at the landing of the plane is not a nigerian thing even the oyinbos are the ones who usualy start it before most ppl who may not even know why they are clapping joined them
up till now i dont understand the reason for the clapping and who they are clapping for.the pilot who dey for cok pit abi the air hostess.me no dey clap o.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by duni04(m): 1:58pm On Dec 21, 2013
Victoriousvic: I remember the clapping stuff. Actually experienced it once, and I had to ask what was going on grin

How bout the first-time flyers who panic at everything?

I remember this woman who was on a flight with us going to Lagos. When the plane was about taking-off, this woman kept screaming, "Jesus! Blood of Jesus! Edi oh! ("come oh" in Efik) and she was panicking and even making passengers including myself scared.

She got calm after we took off, but when we started flying over the clouds, and the plane started bouncing a little bit, she started again. This time, she frightened 2 little kids and they started crying and chai, the noise eh. God have mercy!

Funny enough, this woman had 3 kids who just kept staring at her like she'd run mad or something. I'm not sure the oldest kid was more than 16yrs.
anah give her a break...twas her first time grin

1 Like

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 1:59pm On Dec 21, 2013
Sermwell: Pix or it doesn't happen!
sule

1 Like

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
iya ayi: I see fellow passengers pilfer items like cutlery, blanket, from d airline. When challenged, they claim that they have paid for it alongside d ticket
steal fork ke? shockedshocked

fork that they are selling 140 naira per pack in the market.what will anyone be stealing a thing as cheap as that for. shocked smh
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:04pm On Dec 21, 2013
bobby7me: Ehnn.. When I was traveling to NYC yea...
The plane driver told the conductor to serve us akpu & black soup. Trust nigerian guys, they were all smiling. Me I just open the window for fresh air because I don't eat such smelling thing.
Even when we got to Arik airport in NYC yea...
Queen Elizabeth took me to her house for a dinner. Her maids are Angels with wings flying around the castle.
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
ultra poor dude trying to feel among

1 Like

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by gabrielmorinho(m): 2:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
So even oyinbo too dey fart 4 inside plane? Chai, no hope 4 me again b dat. Me wen dey happy say i dey go london next year where i no go de percieve MESS from my fellow nigerians wen dey chop mixture again. Na wa o.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by anitank(f): 2:09pm On Dec 21, 2013
Guidette: I just travelled 2 days ago on a flight to London. i think there were only 2 Nigerians like me on the flight and the rest were mostly British. i experience the periodic farting.... it was horrible. I think Oyinbo mess is worse than any other type of mess i have experienced in my life *pukes*
I also experienced the drinking thing too. An oyinbo lady sitting beside me drank nearly 8 bottles of the small wines they serve on BA. It got so bad that she went to sleep, woke up 2 hrs later and was nearly delirious. It took the intervention of 2 of the flight attendants to calm her down. They took her to the back of the plane and she disappeared for an hr. When she returned, I saw another 2 bottles of wine in her hand shocked

So please don't generalise.... Nigerians are not the only ones that do things like that. You need to travel other routes and see that human beings of all races and creeds are the same everywhere.
Bless you sister!

And i doubt if any sane woman would ask an air hostess to mind their business when they are trying to ensure the safety of her own baby
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 21, 2013
joaquin64: LMAO @ sitting ovation. Some even stand! I totally forgot all about that one and that used to piss me off a lot when i used to fly in Nigeria looooool. The clapping just resonates from no where... like "yaaay we made it". I wouldnt blame them in Nigeria anyways where flying is akin to taking a death leap and praying through the fall you dont die. Flying is supposed to be the safest form of transportation with little or no hazard at all but with the terrible way our avaiation industry has handled the system... well, you have no choice but to pray and give an ovation at the end of a journey if you made it alive. lol.

Oh yeah and another terrible group of people (this one happens allover the world not just Nigeria) are those ones that before the wheels of the plane even touches the ground, they are up already struggling to take their bags from the overheads because they are in a hurry and everyone else isnt. Totally forgetting there is just one exit and there are others in front of them (first class/biz class people) that would still step out of that plane before them anyway whether they like it or not! Most of these annoying people are ALWAYS economy class and mostly even sitted at the back of the plane! lol
me i am guilty of this one o grin i always do that cheesy the last time we travelled and landed,while people were still clapping,me i was removing my luggage from the head overs,remain small that my box will fall on top of the head of the man sitting beside me.may God forgive me cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:11pm On Dec 21, 2013
martyns303:
Although -ve G is most discomforting due to barotrauma, which is why airlines descend at 300ft/min max, some people really find +G as discomforting as well, no matter how many times they fly, they just can't get used to it, and also being an elderly woman, what you could have done was talk her through it, instead of assuming she's being local.
I'm not saying she was local. What I mean is, her behavior was annoying.

The air hostesses tried calming her down, but she wouldn't agree. Screaming and shouting like a plane is crashing won't help anything. She just embarrassed herself.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:15pm On Dec 21, 2013
bravedude:

Broda don't say that,there are some shaking that will make you panic.I do fly 10hrs non stop without much anxiety but when ever i am on a local airline,my confident turns into a different thing.Don't blame it on the woman but have the blame on our aviation because u don't expect her to remain calm with all the plane crash history.
It wasn't a rough turbulent kind of shaking. I understand it was her first time, but that display? Pure nonsense!
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:17pm On Dec 21, 2013
Nigerians and inferiority complex, had it been all this things this mumu op outlined here, is been done by oyibo people, his headline would have been "my most exciting moment in an airplane" but he now tag it "annoying" because is been done by nigerians. oyibo do shout anytime any of their musicians come on stage yet is excited to watch and do, but if nigerians do d same, the op and his gang will say they are primitive and achaic. hypochrisy at it peak.
SMH.

2 Likes

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by akinalabi(m): 2:17pm On Dec 21, 2013
zube01: 1. Securing beds...in Economy Class! There's a game Nigerian passengers play whenever they're on-board a semi-full airplane - It's kind of similar to Musical Chairs...but without the music. Passengers snub the seats assigned to them and scout for a stretch of three to four empty seats before take-off. Handbags and other luggage items are strategically placed on empty seats in the hope for that Business Class experience - pathetic.

2. Making dramatic Nollywood scenes. Whoever said 'Rules are meant to be broken' must have been a Nigerian. We're pretty damn good at breaking rules...into smithereens, just for good measure. There was one woman sat at the front of economy class with her less-than-a-year-old baby. She put her baby down on the empty seat next to her when the seat belt light was off (not sure if that's proper in the first place but I'll let her off on that one). The moment the seat belt light was back on, however, one of the air hostesses called her to order and told her to strap her baby in place - RED ALERT! RED ALERT! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! You knew from the way the irritated mother turned her neck with that 'oh-no-you-didn't' expression all over her face that cabin pressure was under serious threat. Needless today she told the air hostess to mind her own business - ironically, that's what the air-hostess was trying to do in the first place...Safety of passengers...DUH! I can't remember if the thud I heard later on was due to turbulence or because the baby had rolled off the chair...

3. Taking pictures. You can imagine trying to enjoy a good book when suddenly the corner of your eye picks up the flash photography of some newbie whose obviously hell-bent on convincing everyone back in Nigeria that he/she indeed travel abroad. Newsflash! There may be people with photosensitive epilepsy on-board or nearby pilots wondering if there is a terrorist hijacking, with one unfortunate Nigerian who decided to break one simple rule 'DON'T MOVE!' (go figure!)

4. Farting. It's bad enough you left your assigned seat at the front and decided to come behind me and stretch yourself across four empty seats. Now you're so generous as to share your flatulence with me in small doses of ammonia-laced farts...not a one-off...periodic discharges which could catch choke me unawares if I dare yawn. FYI, avoid fizzy drinks on the plane if you know you can't handle your abdominal tract like few pros among us.

5. Drink to stupor. Is it the sheer pettiness of wanting to get one's money's worth that would make a passenger drink like a fish? (Remember, its Nigerians we're talking about here). Of course, it's not the drinking that bothers me but the mindless banter and laughter at completely 'unfunny' things that drives me up the Berlin wall (just like that - after a couple of drinks you'd be in stitches when you read 'drive me up the berlin wall').

6. Leaving toilets unlocked. Common sense consistently fails to prevail when most Nigerians use the airline's restrooms. It all boils down to refusing to acknowledge the instructions/directions carefully displayed all around them. It's quite simple - you enter the restroom and close it behind you. Right there on door is a slide lock which denotes 'Slide left to lock and right to open'. Why wouldn't I be interested in making sure that no one accidentally sees my 'bits'? Didn't they notice the green 'vacant' or the red 'occupied' sign before entering the lavatory? At my last count I've walked in on 3 unfortunate passengers who forgot to lock behind (but they all did once I exposed them...makes you wonder, eh?).

7. Sitting ovation. I'm not sure if you can relate but you're nearing your flight destination and as soon as the plane lands successfully passengers around you start to clap until virtually everyone joins in. Why are they doing this, you ask? beats me - for landing safely or for not crashing into the deep blue sea or for getting their money's worth after usurping the mini bar...I dunno. The clapping is cheesy in my opinion. I'd much prefer passengers go one by one to shake the pilot(s) for a job well done plane well-landed.

And coming in at a surprise number 8 is Irregular exercise. Make no mistake about it, Nigerians are terrified about premature death, more so than the average civilian (if that makes any sense). I've seen the most bizarre repetitions performed from kicking mid-air to punching only your left arm over the seat head in the same direction. Deep Vein thrombosis is no laughing matter so I guess all I have to do is close my eyes next time if I don't want to behold seemingly amateurish 'Kung-fu'.

These things you mentioned are not peculiar to Nigerians. You need to travel more routes outside Lagos-London, Lagos-Dubai, Lagos-Johannesburg etc.

1. Nothing wrong with that as long as those other seats are truly empty. It's empty for fks sake.

2. She broke a rule so its up to the hostess to deal with the situation. Are we saying non Nigerians have never broken that rule? The woman is lucky you guys were airborne already. I once witnessed a Delta hostess eject one rude woman who would not switch off her phone after the plane began to move. She got the pilot to stop and got her ejected. Next time she go listen.

3. Whats wrong with that? And its not about showing anyone you are abroad. I flew to Calabar the other day going to watch the Eagles and we took pictures on board. Kanu, Ikpeba and co were all on board. Once on my way from London to Larnaca, plenty oyibos just dey take picture dey go. I bet if you were there you would have helped them snap sef.

4. If you wan see farting for air, fly airlines wey Nigerians no dey. Naija no dey fart o.

5. Has nothing to do with being Nigerians. If you wan see loud banters, na oyibo get am. Jeez, when two English people dey talk beside you, dem no send and they will be loud. We are quieter with our banters.

6. I still dont understand how this is a Naija thing. My experience was not on air. In a Virgin train. I wan use toilet and this oyibo no lock door. It was not a nice sight. Leave Nigeria out of it.

7. That is not a Nigerian thing either. Just last week, I flew from Shenzhen to Beijing. See ovation when we land. Seen it on other flights too. E dey sweet you to insult Nigeria ni?

8. Jeezus. So trying to do a form of exercise is now an annoying thing. If oyibo dey do am, I bet you would have said the annoying thing is the Nigerians do not do it. Anyway, oyibo dey do those exercises more than us.

Your title should have been annoying things people do on airplanes. Please leave Nigerians out of this.

This post reeks of inferiority complex and colonial mentality.

Thank you.

16 Likes

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Ditoya(m): 2:19pm On Dec 21, 2013
Haha.. could still remember my first tym going to SA.. I fear well sha..buht after lyk d second tym,was cool wit it.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by akinalabi(m): 2:20pm On Dec 21, 2013
Snoggy: This particular Lady kept taking pictures like a mad person.
Like 10 times...

I was ashamed sef!

But if she was white you would probably have smiled and helped her snap sef.

3 Likes

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by akinalabi(m): 2:22pm On Dec 21, 2013
kulyie: me i am guilty of this one o grin i always do that cheesy the last time we travelled and landed,while people were still clapping,me i was removing my luggage from the head overs,remain small that my box will fall on top of the head of the man sitting beside me.may God forgive me cheesy

You are not guilty of anything. Dont allow anyone to initiate you into their inferiority complex filled world.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Aneetar: 2:26pm On Dec 21, 2013
Aigbofa: None of the things you wrote is peculiar to Nigerians, even the 'landing' ovation.
dats sooo true. Infact d whites do it more. Dey even started it. And I dnt c anytin bad in it. I even enjoy it so does d pilot.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Ghadafy(m): 2:26pm On Dec 21, 2013
The post and the poster are ridiculous. I don't know who you have been flying with but not all nigerians do all these your jagons. I remember one dutch guy on a KLM flight from Amsterdam to ohare, walahi, he drank heineiken immediately the flight left until we reach Ohare. So @ op, stop generalizing and stop disrespecting Nigerians on public forums. I doubt if you are a nigerian sef.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Pelummy(f): 2:37pm On Dec 21, 2013
checkdate: if you remember that this is a repeated subject. kindly click like .
https://www.nairaland.com/1241005/7-annoying-
things-nigerians-airplanes
u are on point
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:39pm On Dec 21, 2013
All lies!!!! Not peculiar to Nigerians. Maybe u are used to d molue planes used by many nigerians, full of nigerians.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Sondos al-Qattan Losing Brands After Her ‘Slavery’ Comments Went Viral (Pics) / FAAN Releases Lists Of Prohibited Items For Passengers / Two Corps Members Die As Vehicle Plunges Into River In Enugu (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.