Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,596 members, 7,809,160 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 02:01 AM

Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (38160 Views)

Taking Food Out Of Airplanes / 10 Things Nigerians Are Doing Better Than Other Africans / 7 Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Andyforte: 2:40pm On Dec 21, 2013
Ada Nri1: This last journey I saw a lot of people drinking little bottles of wine and requesting more food from the cabin crew. What actually annoys me about flying is the fact that I travel with little kids but the passengers in front of me recline their seats so much that my kids have to be squeezed.
When you politely as them they'll tell you to recline yours too, that it's their right. It's not about right it's about consideration! These have all been
Nigerians. The only passenger who didn't recline his seat when he saw my girls was a white man

Eya. I know how u must have felt. Nigerians are one of the most selfish people in the world.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by kpolli(m): 2:44pm On Dec 21, 2013
zube01:

5. Drink to stupor. Is it the sheer pettiness of wanting to get one's money's worth that would make a passenger drink like a fish? (Remember, its Nigerians we're talking about here). Of course, it's not the drinking that bothers me but the mindless banter and laughter at completely 'unfunny' things that drives me up the Berlin wall (just like that - after a couple of drinks you'd be in stitches when you read 'drive me up the berlin wall').

Drinking to stupor belongs to white chicks
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 2:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
Flushing the toilet while the door is opened, this kind of loud noise that got most people looking back. So embarrassing.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chinex276(m): 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2013
- EATING GARLIC
- HAVING SEX IN D TOILET
- MESSING (FART)
- SHOUTING "BLOOD OF JESUS"
- BEHAVING LYK MGBEKE (VILLAGE GAL) ALL D TYM ESPECIALLY WEN D PLANE D LAND

ALTHOUGH I NEVA NEVA ENTA PLANE B4 OOO BT I KNW 9JERIANS R CAPABLE OF ANYTHING.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Naijamericana: 2:52pm On Dec 21, 2013
zube01: 1. Securing beds...in Economy Class! There's a game Nigerian passengers play whenever they're on-board a semi-full airplane - It's kind of similar to Musical Chairs...but without the music. Passengers snub the seats assigned to them and scout for a stretch of three to four empty seats before take-off. Handbags and other luggage items are strategically placed on empty seats in the hope for that Business Class experience - pathetic.

2. Making dramatic Nollywood scenes. Whoever said 'Rules are meant to be broken' must have been a Nigerian. We're pretty damn good at breaking rules...into smithereens, just for good measure. There was one woman sat at the front of economy class with her less-than-a-year-old baby. She put her baby down on the empty seat next to her when the seat belt light was off (not sure if that's proper in the first place but I'll let her off on that one). The moment the seat belt light was back on, however, one of the air hostesses called her to order and told her to strap her baby in place - RED ALERT! RED ALERT! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! You knew from the way the irritated mother turned her neck with that 'oh-no-you-didn't' expression all over her face that cabin pressure was under serious threat. Needless today she told the air hostess to mind her own business - ironically, that's what the air-hostess was trying to do in the first place...Safety of passengers...DUH! I can't remember if the thud I heard later on was due to turbulence or because the baby had rolled off the chair...

3. Taking pictures. You can imagine trying to enjoy a good book when suddenly the corner of your eye picks up the flash photography of some newbie whose obviously hell-bent on convincing everyone back in Nigeria that he/she indeed travel abroad. Newsflash! There may be people with photosensitive epilepsy on-board or nearby pilots wondering if there is a terrorist hijacking, with one unfortunate Nigerian who decided to break one simple rule 'DON'T MOVE!' (go figure!)

4. Farting. It's bad enough you left your assigned seat at the front and decided to come behind me and stretch yourself across four empty seats. Now you're so generous as to share your flatulence with me in small doses of ammonia-laced farts...not a one-off...periodic discharges which could catch choke me unawares if I dare yawn. FYI, avoid fizzy drinks on the plane if you know you can't handle your abdominal tract like few pros among us.

5. Drink to stupor. Is it the sheer pettiness of wanting to get one's money's worth that would make a passenger drink like a fish? (Remember, its Nigerians we're talking about here). Of course, it's not the drinking that bothers me but the mindless banter and laughter at completely 'unfunny' things that drives me up the Berlin wall (just like that - after a couple of drinks you'd be in stitches when you read 'drive me up the berlin wall').

6. Leaving toilets unlocked. Common sense consistently fails to prevail when most Nigerians use the airline's restrooms. It all boils down to refusing to acknowledge the instructions/directions carefully displayed all around them. It's quite simple - you enter the restroom and close it behind you. Right there on door is a slide lock which denotes 'Slide left to lock and right to open'. Why wouldn't I be interested in making sure that no one accidentally sees my 'bits'? Didn't they notice the green 'vacant' or the red 'occupied' sign before entering the lavatory? At my last count I've walked in on 3 unfortunate passengers who forgot to lock behind (but they all did once I exposed them...makes you wonder, eh?).

7. Sitting ovation. I'm not sure if you can relate but you're nearing your flight destination and as soon as the plane lands successfully passengers around you start to clap until virtually everyone joins in. Why are they doing this, you ask? beats me - for landing safely or for not crashing into the deep blue sea or for getting their money's worth after usurping the mini bar...I dunno. The clapping is cheesy in my opinion. I'd much prefer passengers go one by one to shake the pilot(s) for a job well done plane well-landed.

And coming in at a surprise number 8 is Irregular exercise. Make no mistake about it, Nigerians are terrified about premature death, more so than the average civilian (if that makes any sense). I've seen the most bizarre repetitions performed from kicking mid-air to punching only your left arm over the seat head in the same direction. Deep Vein thrombosis is no laughing matter so I guess all I have to do is close my eyes next time if I don't want to behold seemingly amateurish 'Kung-fu'.

The clapping stuff is a third world country phenomenon. I have observed performed by citizens of the Dominican Republic as well.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by akinalabi(m): 2:57pm On Dec 21, 2013
Naijamericana:

The clapping stuff is a third world country phenomenon. I have observed performed by citizens of the Dominican Republic as well.

Witnessed it in China. I dont think China is third world.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by linearity: 2:58pm On Dec 21, 2013
Delaw135: I alwayz like sitting beside window for fresh air in plane

How would sitting beside a window on a commercial plane result in 'giving you fresh air'?

Where the fresh air dey come from when the windows are shut? Once the doors are shut, everyone shares the same pressurized oxygen circulating throughout the plane, there is no fresh air.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by akinalabi(m): 3:02pm On Dec 21, 2013
dozydre: Flushing the toilet while the door is opened, this kind of loud noise that got most people looking back. So embarrassing.

SO non Nigerians dont do it?
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by akinalabi(m): 3:04pm On Dec 21, 2013
tumababa: All lies!!!! Not peculiar to Nigerians. Maybe u are used to d molue planes used by many nigerians, full of nigerians.

He needs to move out more.

He should fly routes like Instanbul to Mumbai and see non Nigerians in action.

When some people don dey fly Lagos London dem no go let us rest again.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
akinalabi:

SO non Nigerians dont do it?
Well, you can talk for yourself.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by UNLEASHED(m): 3:05pm On Dec 21, 2013
1. Nigerians don't do most things you put up there except taking pictures and clapping on successful landing. I take pictures when I sight the beauty of nature through the window.
(NOT TRUE)

2. There's no toilet for farting, it's nature's call and at one point or the other you'll just have to let out some fart for your comfort. Farting on an airplane is not native to citizens of a certain country. (NOT TRUE)

3. Yes I do drink on a well long flight, not to get value for my money but just cuz I want to and I'm allowed to. (NOT TRUE)

4. Leaving toilets unlocked might skip anyone's mind. It's not native to citizens of a certain country. (NOT TRUE)

5. I've never seen Nigerians securing bed in economy class, maybe I just didn't notice.
(PROBABLY NOT TRUE)

6. I've as well never witnessed a Nigerian making a dramatic nollywood scenes on board.
(NOT TRUE)

7. Clapping on successful landing is the only thing I'll say Nigerians do and it's well annoying. (VERY TRUE)
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Segzy23: 3:12pm On Dec 21, 2013
Clapping thing usually happens after a rough flight, people tend to clap when the plane touch down. I don't blame them. This happens virtually anywhere.

One annoying thing that is mostly common with Nigerians though, is when the Pilot says we have 40 minutes to land and this is your opportunity to use the lavatories, even after they have put the seat belt sign on and it is like 15 mins to land, you will still see people stand and running to the lavatories. It is so annoying, control your bladders.

@Akinalabi wrote
1. Nothing wrong with that as long as those other seats are truly empty. It's empty for fks sake.

I am afraid there is something wrong with it, usually, if the plane is half empty, they arrange passengers in such a way to balance the plane for take-off. After takeoff, when seat-belt sign is off, then you can move to the empty seats
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Panter215: 3:21pm On Dec 21, 2013
Op I think you are a local champion. Your travels must be limited to nigeria. All you have written are common in most flights I have been on and oyibo have been the most culprit. How can you limit fart on plane to nigerian's only? Even druckness which is the brith right of Europeans. Abey try travel outside naija.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by ubcandid(m): 3:28pm On Dec 21, 2013
Delaw135: I alwayz like sitting beside window for fresh air in plane
Huh I dont get
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by obstead200(m): 3:36pm On Dec 21, 2013
I take exception to the clapping thing. Even though I have flown extensively (although locally only) I've never experienced this clapping parade. That means OP is wrong
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 3:45pm On Dec 21, 2013
The most annoying tin nigerians do on plane is to fly the plane & clash it
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by franklampard082(m): 3:55pm On Dec 21, 2013
From the post I think the op is bitter sod. Yep, some of the things mentioned are not good but u make it seem luke it's only Nigerians. White people take photos on planes too. If u were really concentrating on ur book u wouldn't have noticed anything. The op is just trying to seem more posh but I think he/she is also guilty of some of those or just pretending to be better off. We know ur type. New money syndrome and all that
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Nobody: 3:59pm On Dec 21, 2013
Guidette: I just travelled 2 days ago on a flight to London. i think there were only 2 Nigerians like me on the flight and the rest were mostly British. i experience the periodic farting.... it was horrible. I think Oyinbo mess is worse than any other type of mess i have experienced in my life *pukes*
I also experienced the drinking thing too. An oyinbo lady sitting beside me drank nearly 8 bottles of the small wines they serve on BA. It got so bad that she went to sleep, woke up 2 hrs later and was nearly delirious. It took the intervention of 2 of the flight attendants to calm her down. They took her to the back of the plane and she disappeared for an hr. When she returned, I saw another 2 bottles of wine in her hand shocked

So please don't generalise.... Nigerians are not the only ones that do things like that. You need to travel other routes and see that human beings of all races and creeds are the same everywhere.

Absolutely agree.
I think the OP needs to travel some more.
I have also never experienced the clapping.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by claremont(m): 4:14pm On Dec 21, 2013
Guidette: I just travelled 2 days ago on a flight to London. i think there were only 2 Nigerians like me on the flight and the rest were mostly British. i experience the periodic farting.... it was horrible. I think Oyinbo mess is worse than any other type of mess i have experienced in my life *pukes*
I also experienced the drinking thing too. An oyinbo lady sitting beside me drank nearly 8 bottles of the small wines they serve on BA. It got so bad that she went to sleep, woke up 2 hrs later and was nearly delirious. It took the intervention of 2 of the flight attendants to calm her down. They took her to the back of the plane and she disappeared for an hr. When she returned, I saw another 2 bottles of wine in her hand shocked

So please don't generalise.... Nigerians are not the only ones that do things like that. You need to travel other routes and see that human beings of all races and creeds are the same everywhere.
Exactly!
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by chinaman666(m): 4:40pm On Dec 21, 2013
This is why I always travel in business class on African flights. The extra cost is well worth it.

1 Like

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by moscobabs(m): 4:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
u don see were one person go command una sey Let us pray before? it happened from Warri to Lagos before

1 Like

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Naijamericana: 4:54pm On Dec 21, 2013
akinalabi:

Witnessed it in China. I dont think China is third world.

Its not developed either...
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by erico2k2(m): 4:57pm On Dec 21, 2013
IAMBREEZY: nice one op that's one of the reasons i fly first class some people can be disgusting damnit.
U be radio?them tune U n U jst sing
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by erico2k2(m): 4:58pm On Dec 21, 2013
Naijamericana:

They do it here in England what U on about?
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by Aliydave(m): 5:01pm On Dec 21, 2013
Dats nigerians 4. Take it or leave it, life goes on wink
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by MsNas(f): 5:13pm On Dec 21, 2013
kulyie: steal fork ke? shockedshocked

fork that they are selling 140 naira per pack in the market.what will anyone be stealing a thing as cheap as that for. shocked smh
Yes grin grin I've "Stolen" blanket on KLM before. And trust me, oyinbo people too do. The white lady beside me was travelling with her two grandchildren and I saw her with my two korokoro eyes, putting their blankets in the children's backpacks cheesy

Karma caught me sha, cos I forgot my sweater on board. But if not for the blanket, cold for kill me for airport when we landed. grin
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by MsNas(f): 5:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
Naijamericana:

China isn't developed? shocked shocked

I don hear new thing today oo
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by erico2k2(m): 5:31pm On Dec 21, 2013
Segzy23: Clapping thing usually happens after a rough flight, people tend to clap when the plane touch down. I don't blame them. This happens virtually anywhere.

One annoying thing that is mostly common with Nigerians though, is when the Pilot says we have 40 minutes to land and this is your opportunity to use the lavatories, even after they have put the seat belt sign on and it is like 15 mins to land, you will still see people stand and running to the lavatories. It is so annoying, control your bladders.

@Akinalabi wrote
1. Nothing wrong with that as long as those other seats are truly empty. It's empty for fks sake.

I am afraid there is something wrong with it, usually, if the plane is half empty, they arrange passengers in such a way to balance the plane for take-off. After takeoff, when seat-belt sign is off, then you can move to the empty seats
Fa fa fa fow
What air line av U gt on that was empty n ordered or asked to sit in specific manner diffrent frm what U have in ur tkt as seat number?
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by phuckNL: 5:36pm On Dec 21, 2013
If you have a problem with what Nigerians or any human being does on a plane, THEN BUY FIRST CLASS/CHARTER YOUR PRIVATE JET or STFU

1 Like

Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by esere826: 6:11pm On Dec 21, 2013
justwise:

Who is plagiarizing who?

very well then
i guess you are in a better place to authenticate the owner of the story
and clear the confusion on the allegations of plagiarism levelled against the OP
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by justwise(m): 6:16pm On Dec 21, 2013
esere826:

very well then
i guess you are in a better place to authenticate the owner of the story
and clear the confusion on the allegations of plagiarism levelled against the OP

You are not answering the question, you made the allegation and i want you to tell me who owns the original story and who copied it without giving credit to the owner.
Re: Annoying Things Nigerians Do On Airplanes by LadyPayne(f): 6:47pm On Dec 21, 2013
Most annoying thing---"i don arrive" mentality from first-time 9ja flyers,,,d pics,,,refusal to switch off phones wen asked to. d ovation aint dat bad tho tongue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ikogosi Warm Springs Where Warm And Cold Spring Meet (Pics & Video) / Entering USA Or Europe As A Married Man Or Single. Which Is Better? / 10 People Who Survived The Impossible.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.