Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,356 members, 7,819,266 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 01:32 PM

Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional (4841 Views)

Nasarawa LG With One Functional Vehicle Has 30 Drivers On Payroll / $470M Abuja CCTV-Cameras & Solar-Panel Packup After 6 Months (Pictures) / Isreal Sold Non-Functional Drones To Nigeria For $240m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by SkyBlue1: 8:43pm On Aug 01, 2008
@osasp sorry but i disagree. Yes the power supply problem remains the giant elephant in the room but cctv coverage is also very important as a means of ensuring security and stability as well as solving crimes. Nigerian criminals continuously exploit the ineptitude of a non functioning police force and as long as people in Nigeria know that they can commit crimes and so easily get away with it, the security situation will remain appalling and thereby affecting everything from home lives to businesses, banks are robbed so often it is ridiculous. It is so easy to argue from the perspective that if you raise the living stndards then such will stop but i don't buy this, Nigeria's own case is mostly greed, greed, greed. I am for anything that will serve as a tool for law enforcement because i can't see how people all over the place can continue to break the laws and get away with it while people continue to call such a working society. If you just think about it carefully, Nigeria and lawlessness go hand in hand hence the state of things. It has come to define everything, from inflating of contracts to just daylight robbery in the political community, from stealing of votes to bribing of every official in range just to get work (which people are paid for) done or not. I mean, even the police force needs policing themselves.

The importance of power to Nigeria can never be overstated because it affects everything, if the lagos government can somehow provide that state with stable powersupply, that alone i believe will drastically improve the economy (and that is just lagos). However seeing that this power problem has remained at a critical stage for so long now, does that mean that everything else should remain in suspended animation? Fixing power and doing other things aren't mutually exclusive, so if both can be attacked then why not? If special power plants need to be built just to run such venture like CCTV then so be it.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by oYaTo(m): 8:49pm On Aug 01, 2008
@Skyblue  Really appreciated your post. You made more sense than some other posters put together.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by DeepZone: 9:18pm On Aug 01, 2008
fok off all of you - at least an effort was made - by the time the energy crisis is solved - all things will improve - Rome or Paris was not built in a day.

Lol, proudly Nigerian!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked

[center]
[size=16pt]
God bless the Federal republic of Oduduwa[/size]
[/center]
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by osasp(m): 10:27pm On Aug 01, 2008
Sky Blue:

@osasp sorry but i disagree. Yes the power supply problem remains the giant elephant in the room but cctv coverage is also very important as a means of ensuring security and stability as well as solving crimes. Nigerian criminals continuously exploit the ineptitude of a non functioning police force and as long as people in Nigeria know that they can commit crimes and so easily get away with it, the security situation will remain appalling and thereby affecting everything from home lives to businesses, banks are robbed so often it is ridiculous. It is so easy to argue from the perspective that if you raise the living stndards then such will stop but i don't buy this, Nigeria's own case is mostly greed, greed, greed. I am for anything that will serve as a tool for law enforcement because i can't see how people all over the place can continue to break the laws and get away with it while people continue to call such a working society. If you just think about it carefully, Nigeria and lawlessness go hand in hand hence the state of things. It has come to define everything, from inflating of contracts to just daylight robbery in the political community, from stealing of votes to bribing of every official in range just to get work (which people are paid for) done or not. I mean, even the police force needs policing themselves.

The importance of power to Nigeria can never be overstated because it affects everything, if the lagos government can somehow provide that state with stable powersupply, that alone i believe will drastically improve the economy (and that is just lagos). However seeing that this power problem has remained at a critical stage for so long now, does that mean that everything else should remain in suspended animation? Fixing power and doing other things aren't mutually exclusive, so if both can be attacked then why not? If special power plants need to be built just to run such venture like CCTV then so be it.

even here in the uk, it takes more than a few rotating cameras to keep the people under control
a typical case involving a cctv footage of the criminal doesnt mean he/she has been caught.
in most cases, details of these suspects are dug out to reveal their identity.
do we have a database where former offenders will be stored to prevent crimes from reoccuring?
is the police fast enough to arrive a crime scene before heavy damage has been done?
c'mon man, its naija we are talking here

cctvs just can't work in nigeria
look at the case of power supply now.
if they are reproduced to work on solar cells they would probably end up getting destroyed still
these things require 24hr surveilance and control from highly skilled individuals.
do you really think this can fit into our system?

what i would suggest is they train these law enforcement agents properly
provide them with better working conditions and increase patrol around crime-prone areas
with facilities to call for help when necessary
that to me is the best solution
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by SkyBlue1: 11:01pm On Aug 01, 2008
@osasp again sorry but i will have to disagree with you. Why do some shops use dummy cctv? The issue of cctv as a means of deterring criminal activity does not have to do with immediate gratification but depends on if such a tool is well implemented in investigations and used to successfully prosecute criminals. The fact that criminals can be recorded during their criminal activities and such being later scrutinised as a means of going back in the past to identify the culprit is how cctvs serve as a deterrent. When criminals know that successfully escaping from the scene of the crime does not automatically mean the end of the story (as is the case most of the time in Nigeria) then progress in crime prevention has been made. By the time there are a significant number of culprits being prosecuted and such is well publicised and people now know that the acts can be recorded and that the past can come back to haunt them, then won't that be a deterrent to robbing someone in front of the camera? It might not completely eliminate such but don't you think it would cause a reduction? A criminal database? Is that actually essential for such to work? By the time a person is identified on camera and the details of the person and picture are pasted on news paper you still think people like relatives, friends, neighbours, etc won't have anything to say about that? If anything it might even be more effective if well utilised and implemented in Nigeria because Nigeria has that strong community and family culture which britain in my view does not measure up to. At the end of the day cctv is a tool, cctv does not catch criminals on its own, but it can be used to do so. Hence with the implications of cctv i do think it is more important than you seem to give it credit for and i do think it is a priority because security is a huge issue in Nigeria
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by faoni572(m): 11:19pm On Aug 01, 2008
pussy_full:

fok off all of you - at least an effort was made - by the time the energy crisis is solved - all things will improve - Rome or Paris was not built in a day.
who told you that an effort was made or you want to tell me that they put money in thier pockets?
Maybe energy crisis will be solved in the year 2095 because you didn't give definite date when it will be solved, even, Yarudua is not given date

even here in the uk, it takes more than a few rotating cameras to keep the people under control
a typical case involving a cctv footage of the criminal doesnt mean he/she has been caught.
[size=14pt]in most cases, details of these suspects are dug out to reveal their identity.
do we have a database where former offenders will be stored to prevent crimes from reoccuring?
is the police fast enough to arrive a crime scene before heavy damage has been done?
c'mon man, its naija we are talking here[/size]

cctvs just can't work in nigerialook at the case of power supply now.
if they are reproduced to work on solar cells they would probably end up getting destroyed still
these things require 24hr surveilance and control from highly skilled individuals.
do you really think this can fit into our system?

what i would suggest is they train these law enforcement agents properly
provide them with better working conditions and increase patrol around crime-prone areas
with facilities to call for help when necessary
that to me is the best solution

even if it functions:

where is the infrastructure to respond?

how will they idenfity anyone?
I hope some patriots will have here can read these, but I know that truth is better
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by osasp(m): 11:45pm On Aug 01, 2008
i do agree that it will reduce the crime rate in the area but it appears you dont see what im trying to say.
handling these machines in the first place takes alot of training.
they need the database to identify people(doesnt have to be a criminal one)
i saw in one of your posts that they could build power plants just for d cctv
do you really see that happening in nigeria?
i dont know if its just my perspective blinding me but the system 2 me is so messed up that probably getting these tapes for an investigation would be hell.
im really looking forward to seeing the whole cctv thing being introduced into the system
but who are we kidding?
now that its got power problems, it has probably ground to a halt
flushed down the drain like other ill structed projects

all i am saying is, it wont work because it is nigeria we are talking here
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by keba(m): 11:51pm On Aug 01, 2008
naija wan turn to london over night
no way with all these corrupt politicians around.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by SkyBlue1: 12:43am On Aug 02, 2008
osasp:

i do agree that it will reduce the crime rate in the area but it appears you don't see what im trying to say.
handling these machines in the first place takes alot of training.
they need the database to identify people(doesnt have to be a criminal one)
i saw in one of your posts that they could build power plants just for d cctv
do you really see that happening in nigeria?
i don't know if its just my perspective blinding me but the system 2 me is so messed up that probably getting these tapes for an investigation would be hell.
im really looking forward to seeing the whole cctv thing being introduced into the system
but who are we kidding?
now that its got power problems, it has probably ground to a halt
flushed down the drain like other ill structed projects

all i am saying is, it wont work because it is nigeria we are talking here

Tinapa although now on shaky ground because of the whole free trade zone and customs issue which could easily be resolved by the federal government but has not, was going to be powered by its own power station. I don't think the power supply issue should be an excuse to do nothing. How long has the power supply in Nigeria been an issue? So should everything have been halted because of this? MTN loses billions because pretty much most of their stations are run on generators, so does that mean that the GSM revolution should not have happened? And that last line in your statement, sorry, i don't share such resignation
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by seyibrown(f): 1:05am On Aug 02, 2008
Here we go again! Always putting the cart before the horse!
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by osasp(m): 1:32am On Aug 02, 2008
what i meant from the last line was;
it all boils down to the government and its people(us)
a country filled with corruption in almost every aspect
where people refuse to see things for the good of the country
rather for the good of their pockets(something majority of us would do)
if in the end things work out well, i will happily take my words back
but its something you and i know too well
this is as far as the cctv thing goes

it might even be another money making scheme

all the same, i see wisdom in your posts
theres truth in everything you have said so far

i hope nigeria will turn out to be what we all want it to be
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Kobojunkie: 3:21am On Aug 02, 2008
Why install CCTV camera's without ensuring you at least have power supply in place for it? Yes, another case of Nigeria putting the horst before the cart. No thought of solar power needs or battery power need before installation? What did the police force expect? Magic?

By the way, if the camera's do not work, is it really lack of power that is to blame? How sure is the force chief that the equipment installed is functional?
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by MP007(m): 5:57am On Aug 02, 2008
plz, anybody shocked!? am not, no be naija? plzzzzzzzzz
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by DeepZone: 9:14am On Aug 02, 2008
these goons stay out of Naija and criticise anything done in Naija - bastards.

You that is staying in Naija, why not do something about your power supply and security?
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by quickygal(f): 1:01pm On Aug 02, 2008
@post
its\ all boils down to the NIGERIAN FACTOR
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Gonorrhea(m): 1:52pm On Aug 02, 2008
pussy_full:

these goons stay out of Naija and criticise anything done in Naija - bastards.

pussy_full:

u just launch into foul mouthed tirades which are typical of a man with so much frustrations!
make useful comments and lay off attacking other people's opinions!
cheers bruv
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Lusky(m): 2:02pm On Aug 02, 2008
CCTV can and DOES work in Nigeria. Lets all forget all the negativity all around us and encourage/concentrate/build on the positive. Just follow the link provided, and you can monitor Mobolaji Bank Anthony road in Ikeja (formerly Airport road) in real time , as the camera there does work and works well. Maybe the Police should consult/liaise with the right people to make cameras work/perform as planned

http://www.swiftng.com/Ikeja/Ikeja.htm

Nigeria can and WILL definitely get better, we all have be positive and act positively in everything we do

PS: Be sure you are on broadband internet access before clicking the link
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by DeepZone: 4:35pm On Aug 02, 2008
CCTV can and DOES work in Nigeria. Lets all forget all the negativity all around us and encourage/concentrate/build on the positive. Just follow the link provided, and you can monitor Mobolaji Bank Anthony road in Ikeja (formerly Airport road) in real time , as the camera there does work and works well. Maybe the Police should consult/liaise with the right people to make cameras work/perform as planned

Nigeria can and WILL definitely get better, we all have be positive and act positively in everything we do

I saw it.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Fhemmmy: 6:02pm On Aug 02, 2008
what works in nigeria, i am sure instead of buying the real thing, someone probably bought the mini computer camera, thinking it wa just for chating.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by SkyBlue1: 7:12am On Aug 03, 2008
@Lusky just out of interest, how does that cctv camera you posted the link to get power? It can't possibly be from the national grid that hardly has any power in the first place can it?
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by whiteroses(f): 5:00pm On Aug 03, 2008
does anythng ever work there sad
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by MrCrackles(m): 6:48pm On Aug 03, 2008
when would anytin function properly in Nigeria?!
Corruption has eaten deep into the functionality of infrastructures, social amenities and economy!
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by DeepZone: 7:32am On Aug 04, 2008
[size=14pt]does anythng ever work there [/size]

Oooh yes; corruption and adultery.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by landis(m): 10:56am On Aug 04, 2008
@Lusky,

Thats good webcam. atleast allow one to see traffic flow and advice driver to take altenative root.

I would suggest your company mount such in strategic location and sell such service to radio or tv station

that said; that cannot be used to prevent crime.

90% of crime in Nigeria is 'HUNGER-CRIME'; robbery.

You dont need 'STREET-CAMERA to resolve that: FIX corruption, provide opportunity for your people.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Kobojunkie: 2:43pm On Aug 04, 2008
Lusky:

A positive attitude with no action on your part to push change is not going to change Nigeria or jump-Start the failed CCTV project. If you are not bothered enough to want to do something about the issue, then who do you expect to make change??

The Swift Cam link you posted there is a good one but that is not going to help curb or catch criminals. Consider the fact that to put that up, the company is not depending on the Nepa /PHCN for power and the cam in this case is too high up to catch much but traffic. Definitely anything can work in Nigeria, but these people need to start investing more time into planning and requirements gathering and analysis before proceeding. I am guessing over a million dollars has been spent on this project that does not work.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by dudubobo1: 3:06pm On Aug 04, 2008
I love that cam but it needs to zoom in a little more in order to capture clearer images
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by slyk2(m): 3:54pm On Aug 04, 2008
As usual.
What do you expect?
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by blackiliev: 9:43am On Aug 06, 2008
Good, as far as I am concerned mounting cameras everywhere believe you me isnt going to solve the problem instead we might get to have another east-london where the crime/violence rate is proportional to the cameras installed.

Im not saying CCTVs arent effective, but good orientation, good governance, making people part of the wealth in 9ja would better suit this country than trying to be 'white'

If we go and research, I am sure experts would say CCTVs dont really stop crime/violence, accidents etc by very large margins, again I am not saying CCTVs dont help

But my brothers Nigeria is beautiful enough than to have cameras watching your every move(stinks of Big Brofa dont it?)
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by sin(m): 5:27pm On Aug 06, 2008
CCTV does not stop crime. it serves only as deterrant. It is a laudable idea and one that needs supporting but alot of planning has to go into it. Personnel needs to be trained to operate them and a proper and workable response unit should be in place to enforce it. Why these devices cannot be powered by solar energy, which is getting increasingly cheap beats me and why a standby generator for the control room cannot be made available leaves me realy gobsmacked.

Furthermore, i dont think CCTV in the hands of the police is such a good idea. The police with its culture of "egunjerism" (if this forum will allow me to use this phrase) and its perchant for muddling up investigations (leaving the guilty innocent and innocent guilty, depending on the amount of Naira involved) will see CCTV as another tool for oppression and furthering thier "egunje" agenda. With no form of checks and control, this will turn to another jamboree.

I sincerely think that CCTV administration and control should be left to the local council in partnership with the police. Apart from detering crime, it will also help the council in planning, emergency services in responding to incidents and ensure that data generated from these devices is put to proper use.
CCTV is not a bad idea. I only hope the administrators will go about doing it the proper way
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Laibankz: 10:26am On Aug 07, 2008
CCTV camera can NEVER work in NIGERIA,
if the goverment wants to make use of CCTV cameras they should start thinking of providing a proper database information of all Nigerian citizens in the through the world.
For instance, if there is an issue of crime in any part of the abuja and they successfully got his or her picture how would get their names and details through the picture?
let the government start with the database thing before thinking of CCTV.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by spfuniture: 4:38pm On Aug 08, 2008
we have all you want in our show rooms just call us or mail us we are there every were to serve you better.

call 08064599939 or symbolofpeace@rocketmail.com

Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by MrCrackles(m): 2:49pm On May 17, 2009
spfuniture:

we have all you want in our show rooms just call us or mail us we are there every were to serve you better.

call 08064599939 or symbolofpeace@rocketmail.com

Is your brain contaminated?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Amnesty Package: Militants To Get N20,000 Each Monthly - N1,500 For Food Daily / So Naija & S.A Are Not The Richest Countries In Africa Afterall / Politics Of Meat Production: Where Do The Nigerian Goats, Sheep And Cattle Go?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.