Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,476 members, 7,819,736 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional (4843 Views)

Nasarawa LG With One Functional Vehicle Has 30 Drivers On Payroll / $470M Abuja CCTV-Cameras & Solar-Panel Packup After 6 Months (Pictures) / Isreal Sold Non-Functional Drones To Nigeria For $240m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by DeepZone: 7:31am On Aug 01, 2008
[size=16pt]Police closed-circuit cameras in Abuja not functioning -IG[/size]
By Alexandra Mede, Snr Correspondent, Abuja

Forty close circuit cameras installed by the Nigeria Police in Abuja to enhance crime control in the city have long since stopped functioning.
Inspector-General of Police, Mike Okiro, disclosed this in Abuja while fielding questions from newsmen after the ministerial press briefing by the Minister of Interior, Godwin Abbe, at Sheraton Hotel on Tuesday.

Okiro said the cameras had been placed by the police in vulnerable areas to monitor crime.

He, however, acknowledged that "most of the cameras are presently not working," blaming their failure on the power situation in the city.

"I have called the contractor who installed the cameras and we talked about the possibility of using solar energy to power them; hopefully, we should be able to have an all round crime monitoring device when we resort to solar energy," Okiro said.

The police boss, who feared the cost implication of using solar energy to power the CCTVs, added that the police had not envisaged the problem and therefore, did not include the expenditure in this year's budget.

He, however, assured that he would do every thing possible to ensure that the close circuit cameras are functional; stressing that their functionality is a priority to the police as far as crime control is concerned.

Earlier, while giving account of his stewardship in the last one year, Okiro had sated that in reaction to terrorist and hostage-taking activities across the country, "the police have established four anti-terrorist squads with bases in Lagos, Port Harcourt, Abuja and Kano."

According to him, while terrorist activities have not been recorded anywhere in Nigeria, the police would not want to be caught off guard should an incident occur, hence the establishment of the special unit.

He added that efforts have been intensified to enhance the operations of the Investigation and Intelligence Units of the Nigeria Police.

http://odili.net/news/source/2008/jul/31/714.html
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by DeepZone: 7:33am On Aug 01, 2008
Nigeria sef simple cameras do not work, haba!!! Who knows whether the contractors finished the installation or whether they came back and stole it after the launching.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by faoni572(m): 9:06am On Aug 01, 2008
DeepZone:

Nigeria sef simple cameras do not work, haba!!! Who knows whether the contractors finished the installation or whether they came back and stole it after the launching.

It's not that whether they came back to steal the equipment or they didn't finish the work. It will simply not work because nothing succeed in Nigeria. Why is it like this I don't know, only God can tell what is wrong with this country. so it is not a surprise to me. CCTV is not the first thing that has not worked in this country.

When Nigeria launched NIGCOMSAT satellite in a far away China, I was happy hoping that communications will become very cheap in this country, up till now I have not seen the effect of the satellite. it is very shameful. Corruption is a big problem and a big threat to Nigeria.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Mustay(m): 9:31am On Aug 01, 2008
Didn't they think of Solar Energy before?
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by globalaid(m): 10:14am On Aug 01, 2008
what do you expect from an old generation, their thinking is at the back of their head.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Gonorrhea(m): 12:18pm On Aug 01, 2008
the only thing that functions in Nigeria is the corruption system!
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by beninman(m): 12:31pm On Aug 01, 2008
How can they work when the contractors has eating up they money giving to them to do the work. They has eating the money and they did not finish what they where ask to do. They are even now surgesting Solar Cameras! That will be another loophole to eating another Trillions of Naira again and it will still not work and after the presidential election will come and a new president will come in and say that was not good enough he has to do it all over again and then another Trillions of Naira again and it will not finish again and on on and on like that,

It will not work!!!
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Seun(m): 12:42pm On Aug 01, 2008
What does their functioning have to do with solar power? Do they function when power is on?
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by landis(m): 12:56pm On Aug 01, 2008
even if it functions:

where is the infrastructure to respond?

how will they idenfity anyone?

is such evidence acceptable in Nigeria?

poor thinking again.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Pennywise(m): 2:18pm On Aug 01, 2008
CCTV concept- Indeed another indicator of the mirage and falsehood that is Abuja.

Bureaucrats will sell a non viable dummy (in this case a city-wide CCTV in Nigeria) for a fantastic price tag. Of course it fails. Another comes in to embellish same idea with an equally humongous price tag.The objective is the same- a reason to justify spending done while in office. They should save their breath.They need no justification. Let them just take the money and leave us alone until sanity and order begins to prevail in Nigeria under a new Government. Afterall it will amount to nothing but yet another corruption scandal with a figure (that is if the press gets wind of it).
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by youngies(m): 2:34pm On Aug 01, 2008
landis:

even if it functions:

where is the infrastructure to respond?

how will they idenfity anyone?

is such evidence acceptable in Nigeria?

poor thinking again.

Surely all hope is not lost.

The infrastructure is slowly but steadily building up. The power generation that dropped to about 800MW has risen back to 3000 MW.

DNCR has about 52 million Nigerians complete with biometrics data in their database. At least they can start with this one.

A bill on the amendment of the Evidence Act has been with NASS since 2001, with time who knows it may be passed.

Let's encourage and give them a chance.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by vigasimple(m): 2:41pm On Aug 01, 2008
SEEK YEE FIRST THE KINGDOM OF GOD EVERYTHING ELSE WILL BE ADDED.

FIND A WORKABLE AND EFFECTIVE SOLUTION TO CORRUPTION FIRST AND ALL OUR PROBLEM WILL BECOME SMALL.

EFFECTIVE SOLUTION TO CORRUPTION IS THE ANSWER. THE ONLY THING THAT WORK IN NIGERIA IS CORRUPTION SYSTEM. IT IS THE MOST EFFECTIVE SINCE 1960. IT HASN'T FAILED LIKE NEPA/PHCN POWER.

THINK NIGERIANS FOR EFFECTIVE AND WORKABLE SOLUTIONS TO CORRUPTION AND THE REST WILL BE IN OUR HISTORY BOOKS.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by youngies(m): 2:50pm On Aug 01, 2008
Your assertion is not completely true because they are still many Nigerians who are not corrupt, and these people cna still turn things around.

There is no country in the world that does not have corrupt leaders, be it US, UK, India, Canada, Saudi or even the Vatican. But the difference there is that the system works in those place. They concentrated in putting the system and instutitions that works in place. If one prefers to be corrupt, it is a free world, but the system must throw you up sooner than later.

The installation of the CCTV is part of the system that may eventually work here.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Builder: 3:13pm On Aug 01, 2008
lol, nigeria and cctv, which policeman get time for that yamayama, na police go comot the better part for the cctv install am for him house dey watch olympics.
infact i can bet ma life say even the police people can not even operate the thing sef
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by hilli666(m): 3:32pm On Aug 01, 2008
The biggest problem in Nigeria, is the incessant power outage. In other words, our greatest issue is NEPA. Yes curruption is up there, But I can tell you that once we overcome our current power and energy crises, everthing will begin to fall in place. It is just like a human body with a bad heart, the brain and other organs tends to over stress itself in order to ensure survivability. Energy is like the heart of a nation. if that is faulty, then every thing is.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by idupaul: 4:04pm On Aug 01, 2008
When Nigeria launched NIGCOMSAT satellite in a far away China,

Are u syre anything was launched, it could have just been another chinese satelite and the naija govt just paid to take credit and eat the budget. But mean while the poster is very funny, tap water doesnt work in abuja so hw do we xpect cctv to work.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Echeozo(m): 4:15pm On Aug 01, 2008
?
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by kazeem4t(m): 4:19pm On Aug 01, 2008
HII HOUSE
I THINK AND HOPE NIJA WILL IN OUR LIFE TIME BE BETTER
INSTEAD OF BLAMING ALL LET US PRAY HARD AND MAKE
SURE WE CHECK OURSELVES
LET EVERYONE USE HIS TONGUE  TO COUNT HIS TEETH.
ALTHOUGH IT IS JUST TOO BAD,BUT LETS HOPE SOMETHING GOOD WILL COME OUR WAY.
PRAY 4 9JA
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by alex406(m): 4:41pm On Aug 01, 2008
Gonorrhea:

tru talk bro.Thats just the truth of the matter.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Queenisha: 4:43pm On Aug 01, 2008
meanwhile someone has chopped millions to order and install them and the individual is not charged with maintaing them.
see see TV
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Gonorrhea(m): 4:45pm On Aug 01, 2008
Queenisha:

meanwhile someone has chopped millions to order and install them and the individual is not charged with maintaining them

i swear some bastards has hammered, prolly still buying hummers!!

the CCTV remains a useless piece of device wasting space because it is full of sand and copper wires! grin

Naija-God haba why naw?!
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by NoWee(m): 4:47pm On Aug 01, 2008
Do not let them fool you. The CCTV's was never installed for the purpose of fighting crime and they will never ever work. It will be just one story after another. The police, NEPA or PHCN, other Government agencies and contractors in Nigeria know the game they are playing, every real Nigerian understands their game as well. The project was just invented in order to embezzle our money. It is corruption as usual. So keep your expectations realistic.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by TOYOSI20(f): 5:54pm On Aug 01, 2008
It defeats the whole purpose of safeguarding the people and the community as a whole,

They better go solar or forget the whole thing, ahnnahn. . . . . . . , , embarassed
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by qleyo(f): 6:01pm On Aug 01, 2008
LOL You guys are making me laugh. My stomach aches. Especially the possibility that they might be dummy camera's now that would be a huge prank! I've never seen any of these cameras in Abuja I dare say. Solar power is great, they did manage to solar power streetlights from Asokoro to Maitama and beyond - rather impressive.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by 2old4that(m): 6:18pm On Aug 01, 2008
@ topic
Were they envisaging for steady power supply when installing the cameras, in the first place.

Na wah for this my country sef.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by oYaTo(m): 6:52pm On Aug 01, 2008

I wonder why some pple are so damn negative about this country. .all they do is criticize and criticize! Never for once offering a solution or a way out of the quagmire in which we all find ourselves. Yes, yes, the whole country is corrupt, but do we need to hear it over and over again? I'm getting tired of hearing people run down the country with their tongues.

Stand up and DO SOMETHING!!!
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by IKEMEH(f): 6:58pm On Aug 01, 2008
SEMINAR SEMINAR SEMINAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
VOUCHER PRINTING MADE VERY EASY, YES YOU CAN DO IT.
ALL THE NETWORK.

MAKE YOURSELF RICHER AND STOP WALKING ALL THE STREET OF LAGOS IN SEARCH OF A MEAGRE PEE WHEN WE HAVE GOT POTENTIALS TO OWN OUR OWN COMPANIES AND ALSO BE EMPLOYERS OF LABOUR AS WELL

WITH JUST A MEAGRE CAPITAL OF 10,000.

ON 9TH AUG 2008 AT OBAFEMI AWOLOWO WAY IKEJA AT 12-2PM WITH A SEMINAR FEE OF 3000 NAIRA ONLY PAID INTO
THE ACCT-03122917701152 OF ANY UBA BANK NEAREST TO YOU.
ACCT NAME-IKEMEH ANTHONIA ONYINYECHI

YOU HAVE TO COME WITH YOUR TELLER AS EVIDENCE OF PAYMENT BEFORE YOU WILL BE ALLOWED IN---------WE HAVE BOUNCERS AT THE ENTERANCE SO THAT IF YOU ARE EMBARRASED, DONT FEEL TOO BAD.

CALL IKEMEH ANTHONIA ON 08035520537 OR 08033240918 OR 08022247197 FOR MORE ENQUIRIES OR EMAIL.TONIAIKE@GMAIL.COM OR IKEMETINA@YAHOO.COM.

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF INDEPENDENCY AND SEE YOU ON THAT DAY.
CHEERS AND BYE AND BLESS US ALL
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by DeepZone: 7:05pm On Aug 01, 2008
LOL You guys are making me laugh. My stomach aches. [size=14pt]Especially the possibility that they might be dummy camera's now that would be a huge prank! I've never seen any of these cameras in Abuja I dare say.[/size] Solar power is great, they did manage to solar power streetlights from Asokoro to Maitama and beyond - rather impressive.

@Bold, i thought as well. They must be dummy cameras. Naija, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by Nobody: 7:26pm On Aug 01, 2008
kazeem4t:

HII HOUSE
I THINK AND HOPE NIJA WILL IN OUR LIFE TIME BE BETTER
INSTEAD OF BLAMING ALL LET US PRAY HARD AND MAKE
SURE WE CHECK OURSELVES
LET EVERYONE USE HIS TONGUE TO COUNT HIS TEETH.
ALTHOUGH IT IS JUST TOO BAD,BUT LETS HOPE SOMETHING GOOD WILL COME OUR WAY.
PRAY 4 9JA

Pray hard? Have Nigerians been praying "gently" all this while??

I'd say these issues have gone beyond prayer, hard or soft.
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by DeepZone: 7:41pm On Aug 01, 2008
Actually, some convenient stores in America has dummy cameras. grin grin grin grin grin grin Lmao, the more you look, the less you see.

I hope Fashola is not planning the same in his camera project. Nigeria!!!!

OR

Nigerian criminals used juju to disable the cameras. grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by osasp(m): 8:11pm On Aug 01, 2008
nigerians and our larger-than-life attitude
it makes me nauseous seeing the stupid ideas these people come up with.
the government putting up satellites when we havent sorted out our housing problems
now its cctv cameras when the electricity supply is teribly appauling
mehn, i really dont know how things are going to work out when they're tryna run before they start crawling

dont get me wrong, they are nice ideas
but we need to prioritise things big time
we really need to find solutions to our pressing needs

i really dont know man
thinking of the situation alone is bad enough to give you a headache even though ur just another citizen.
i hope we get on our feet someday
infact if only the electricity can be sorted,
ill take d next flight home

im a proud nigerian
all d way
Re: Abuja CCTV's Are Not Functional by skyone(m): 8:41pm On Aug 01, 2008
NA WETIN WON CON WORK NIJA SEF, I TIRE FOR THIS COUNTRY

I can boldly say that 95% of our senators are typical example of empty barrel makes the most noise. There's absolutely nothing in their forehead, all they know is to , drink, sleep with prostitutes, kill, destroy, thief, eat junk foods and dose off in the HOUSE. Stupid people.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fake Doctor Arrested In Niger After Operating For 3 Years / This Is What El=rufai Posted Via Is Twitter Page Today (photo) / Watchout Senator Mrs Tinubu Brawl

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.