Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,220 members, 7,818,756 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:33 AM

Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office (15075 Views)

Were To Writw Cover Letter Before Attached It / Is My Excuse For Not Writing A Resignation Letter Tenable? / Please Help With Guidelines In Writing A Resignation Letter. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by yemmight(m): 1:51pm On Dec 22, 2013
Whatever decision you are taking, u must abide by the rule in ur offer letter. No organized company will give u 3 months as in lieu of notice except for directorship position or govt job. If u Leave before d stipulated time, then be ready to pay some fraction of your gross pay.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Jydebauer: 2:04pm On Dec 22, 2013
Hey peeps, usually one-month's notice will suffice. But for the avoidance of doubt consult the staff handbook of your present place of employment.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 3:02pm On Dec 22, 2013
Charlesamino:
Hw come he didnt knw d salary of the new job b4 goin in2 it?
help me ask o
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Ghidey(m): 3:08pm On Dec 22, 2013
psucc: You must give at least 3months notice before the effective date or forgo a months salary in lieu of notice. It is the law. Else, if your employer is a gullible type, he may sue you and make claims.
1 month notice is mostly required.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by cycline404(m): 3:22pm On Dec 22, 2013
It is a must for you to give a proper one month resignation notice before you leave.

Once you leave without notice you will be tagged as absconded from duty, if your new employer come to verify you from your previous place, with such impression they might not confirm you.

But if you resign properly then a recommendation letter might be issued to you, depending on the coy.!

Enjoy your new work.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 3:29pm On Dec 22, 2013
Charlesamino:
Its ok then, jst follow wat's stipulated on ur appointmt leta btw, hop ur relocatn worth am sha leavin a federal govt job wey pple dey find 4 d US
It's a lottery, I only pray it's worth it.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by ritux: 4:41pm On Dec 22, 2013
Well as for me, I just got a better paying job. I plan to tender my resignation in Jan. I just applied for a 2 weeks break which ended 2 days back. I knew my previous place will be going for xmas break 20th of this month. Besides, I wanted to also study my new place of work for a month. If I had submitted resignation letter, I would have forfeited my xmas and some other end of year bonus. In other words, I am getting double salary this month. I already got alert from my previous employers together with my cash xmas bonus and bag of rice while waiting for alert from my new company.

After all, it was not stated in my employment letter that I give them prior notice. So Op if nothing of such is stated in your letter, I had advice you you collect ur last salary first before telling them.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by 4reigningqueen: 4:52pm On Dec 22, 2013
if the organisation is like this one described in the thread below, my guy, receive alert and refuse to show up the next day. Period!!!

www.nairaland.com/1480494/private-schools-nigeria-menace-treasure
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by GentleFrank(m): 4:58pm On Dec 22, 2013
Good !
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Gboliwe: 5:13pm On Dec 22, 2013
Its unthinkable to just walk away from your job! Didnt you apply to them? Which kind of work is that that allows you to just walk away? Hian! I'm sure if I ever do that, i'll just land in cell as they can claim I stole their money
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by mjames: 5:15pm On Dec 22, 2013
daa1: Depend on what is written your employment letter. Some organization you need to give a month notice, a proper organization 3months notice and in case there was none in your letter of employment which is common with Nigeria employers resign after you have collect you pay cheque(most doesn't pay if you notify them b4 your salary is paid) so be wise.

Good one!
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 5:16pm On Dec 22, 2013
psucc: You must give at least 3months notice before the effective date or forgo a months salary in lieu of notice. It is the law. Else, if your employer is a gullible type, he may sue you and make claims.

I quit a job lately had to fortieth 1 month salary. My contract was 1 month salary in lieu.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Kenfil(f): 5:30pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pipsland78: I'm leaving my lecturing job in March because I'm relocating to the US and I intend to give them one month notice. Hope this is right?

Hmmm u might regret dis decision o, plz don't leave ur job entirely because u won a lottery. Its not easy in d Gods own country o. Hv a backup plan my dear.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by ceospecial(m): 6:12pm On Dec 22, 2013
shocked With my xperience, it's a NO NO NO... I won't even advice devil to do that
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by FlyboyZee: 8:03pm On Dec 22, 2013
Just write a cheque of your one month basic salary, excluding allowances in favour of your employers and attach it to your resignation letter and submit it on your last day of work. That gets you off without any victimization now or in the future. Legally, it is called "One-Month-in-Lieu-of-Notice" and nobody can do anything to you after that.

I've done that before so I know.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by rafcrown(m): 8:17pm On Dec 22, 2013
Pipsland78: I'm leaving my lecturing job in March because I'm relocating to the US and I intend to give them one month notice. Hope this is right?
WHY CANT U ASK FOR LEAVE OF ABSENCE,IF POSSIBLE?
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by lma4real(m): 9:36pm On Dec 22, 2013
It depends on the organisation,Where i am working now,u v to give a one month notice or pay a one month salary back to the organisation if u dont give them up to one month notice
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 5:45am On Dec 23, 2013
rafcrown:
WHY CANT U ASK FOR LEAVE OF ABSENCE,IF POSSIBLE?
I'm trying to see how possible doing this would be. Thanks a lot.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by olawumia(m): 6:58am On Dec 23, 2013
Section 11, labour law states how contract of employment can be terminated.
Section 11 subsection 2 states :The notice to be given for the purpose of subsection 1 of dis section shall be:
a: one day notice where d contract has continued for a period of 3 months or less
b: one week where d contract has continued for more than 3 months but less Dan 2 yrs.
C: notice of 2 weeks where d contract has continued for 2 yrs but less 5yrs
D: one month where the contract has continued for five or more
Subsection 3 states that any notice for a period of one week or more shall be in writing.

Back.to.d.matter its very important to give notice.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by hollandis(f): 7:02am On Dec 23, 2013
I mean is it not nigeria we are talking about here?why are you guys acting like its an advanced country?
Just walk out ... Who cares?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by ndidibabe(f): 7:02am On Dec 23, 2013
Gullible? Why are you misusing English?
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by ndidibabe(f): 7:05am On Dec 23, 2013
Kenfil:

Hmmm u might regret dis decision o, plz don't leave ur job entirely because u won a lottery. Its not easy in d Gods own country o. Hv a backup plan my dear.
OP must have already secured a Job in US .
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by ndidibabe(f): 7:13am On Dec 23, 2013
Tesiday:

What about Casual staffs?
Bro, Staff no get Plural.

1 Like

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by lockedOut: 7:42am On Dec 23, 2013
I find this thread very insightful, I would like to know how many days (legally) an employer has to give an employee before termination of employment in the case the worker has not committed any offence. Why I am asking is, at my present place of work, a lady was just disengaged, after more than 5 years of service and the best reason the company was her position is now redundant.

Don't want to go into details, but isn't it right for employers to treat employees right? What right does an employee has to fight back if not to show dissent as well? Like someone said if you treat your workers right you will be treated well.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by meetgaya: 9:09am On Dec 23, 2013
it depend on the company you are working. with bank it is one month notice or if it is with quick notice you pay the company your one month basic salary.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Babe2sure(f): 2:57pm On Dec 23, 2013
daa1: Depend on what is written your employment letter. Some organization you need to give a month notice, a proper organization 3months notice and in case there was none in your letter of employment which is common with Nigeria employers resign after you have collect you pay cheque(most doesn't pay if you notify them b4 your salary is paid) so be wise.

Spot on!
Your employment letter will state your mode of exit. However, it is better to leave honourably (by resigning properly) because your new employer may make enquiries about you from your former employer without your knowledge (except you don't include the company in your CV) and what they say about you may make or mar your appointment.
By resigning properly,it will absolve you of any fictitious claim that can come up in future,you will not be accuse of abscondment from duty and you may need reference letter from them in future.
On a final note, if it is a verbal appointment, you should just tell them you are leaving sighting some excuses. But make sure you collect your salary before telling them.

1 Like

Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 12:03pm On Jul 12, 2014
ndidibabe: Bro, Staff no get Plural.

Thanks.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jul 12, 2014
Can we get a format of a typical resignation letter?
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 5:39pm On Jul 12, 2014
I laugh when I hear the word resign. Never notify a company that you plan resigning. You may pay dearly for it in the short-run. The best way to quit a low esteem or pay job for a better one is this: DO SOMETHING BAD AND GET SACKED. At least you will be paid off and sent home. Home, literally to the better job you've already acquired.
Re: Is It Necessary To Write A Resignation Letter Before You Stop Work In An Office by Nobody: 5:42pm On Dec 05, 2014
Bunker1:
for me tell them that you are no more working for them that day you are leaving...if you give them notice in them their altitude towards you will change... some may like to set you up.

meet me here

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Nigeria Customs Service Is Recruiting / Reputable Oil & Gas Conglomerate Fresh Graduate & Exp.job Vacancies-47 Positions / Kaduna State Releases List Of Successful Teacher S Board Candidates

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.