Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,092 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:00 AM

Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others (2269 Views)

Probe Babangida, Abdulsalami, Obasanjo, Others Security Votes,pdp Tells Buhari / Buhari Will Probe Jonathan’s Govt Only; Not Obasanjo’s, Others – Presidency / Soyinka Warns About Rivers State Crisis (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by nitlad: 10:40pm On Dec 22, 2013

Nobel laureate Wole Soyinka has
warned that Nigeria might be headed for a shipwreck as top officials of the All Progressives Congress (APC) visited former President Olusegun Obasanjo
to court his support.

In a statement titled “SHIPWRECK
AHEAD!” Mr. Soyinka warned that
Nigeria would need urgent rescue
operations if the APC wants to invite people like Mr. Obasanjo to serve as a navigator for the ship of state.

Part of Mr. Soyinka’s short statement read: “An APC-led group, we understand, has been paying courtesy visits to former Heads of States. ”Then he asked: “Would it be correct to state that their purpose is captured in the following Mission Statement? ‘Tinubu added that the APC had resolved to rescue Nigeria, appealing to Obasanjo to lead the mission. We’re resolved and determined to rescue Nigeria. We
want you as navigator,’ he said.”

Mr. Soyinka, who is one of the
strongest critics of former President Obasanjo, then added: “If this attribution is correct, may I urge you, as an urgent public service, to advise families to begin the stockpiling of life- belts for the guaranteed crash. Don't forget to alert the coastguards—ECOWAS (Economic Community of West
African States), AU (African Union),
UNO (United Nations Organization) etc etc—to be on the alert for possible salvage operations.

Nigeria’s foremost living writer then wondered, “If General Sani Abacha were alive today, would he also have been on the ship's complement? As Captain perhaps?”

Mr. Obasanjo recently wrote a public letter criticizing President Goodluck Jonathan of deception and dishonesty, adding that the incumbent president was reneging on a commitment not to seek a third term in office. The former president’s Boston, Massachusetts-based first daughter, Iyabo Obasanjo, then wrote her own public letter to him, accusing her father of being a liar, hypocrite, megalomaniac and narcissist.

Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 22, 2013
This time around, I am with soyinka
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by nitlad: 10:45pm On Dec 22, 2013
This is food for thought for the simple minded slugs jumping up and down over the unholy marriage of these strange bed-fellows - the whoring APC, and the washed up geriatrics.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Afam4eva(m): 10:45pm On Dec 22, 2013
it's known fact that Soyinka hates OBJ with a passion and i'm with him on this. My only problem is that he never commented on the other characters that APC has been courting for some time now.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Nobody: 10:50pm On Dec 22, 2013
angryImagine babangida sef lipsrsealed
at last, those evil men will be purged away from pdp.
Then pdp will be the ideal party for young technocrats.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Nobody: 10:53pm On Dec 22, 2013
Soyinka always speaks the truth. He is the most de-tribalised Nigerian ever.

Not sure how APC can expect Obasanjo to navigate a rescue mission when he was one of those that caused Nigeria's woes. APC should be very careful. They should not allow OBJ, IBB and Atiku into their fold. I think they can win with the way things are. All APC need is just a few more governors namely Babangida Aliyu, Sule Lamido and Saidu Dagingari to join them and they will win in 2015. They dont need OBJ, IBB, Atiku and their ilk.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by yibomustgo(m): 10:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
It doesn't feel right at all to be visiting people like Obasanjo, IBB, and Atiku. It seems they are looking for people who can finance APC.

This has been giving me sleepless night to think about. Thay should stay away from Obasanjo, Atiku and IBB.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Tolexander: 10:57pm On Dec 22, 2013
Very obvious may people here aren't concerned and interested in the contents of Wole Soyinka's message but who the message is for and who the message is against.

The best thing for Wole Soyinka to do now is just to sit down and continue to watch so as to avoid disrespect.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by taharqa: 10:58pm On Dec 22, 2013
I still dey laugh...
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Femolacaster(m): 10:59pm On Dec 22, 2013
Soyinka has spoken! Always on point as usual. They don't need obj, atiku, ibb to kick Gej out of Aso rock, they already have enough governors!
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Tolexander: 11:03pm On Dec 22, 2013
nitlad: This is food for thought for the simple minded slugs jumping up and down over the unholy marriage of these strange bed-fellows - the whoring APC, and the washed up geriatrics.
seems the problem with the APC is that they are envying the position of the PDP and are doing everything/anything to take the position which isn't good for our democracy.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by aventura: 11:05pm On Dec 22, 2013
This political series is one that I cannot wait to see the end. If only I can fast forward to April 2015.....
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Afam4eva(m): 11:05pm On Dec 22, 2013
Tolexander: seems the problem with the APC is that they are envying the position of the PDP and are doing everything/anything to take the position which isn't good for our democracy.
That has exactly being my point. Wrestling power should not be the sole vision of an opposition group. Rather, it should be about creating a viable alternative but i don't see how APC is going to achieve that when they're courting people that have contributed to the appalling state that the country is today.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by yibomustgo(m): 11:07pm On Dec 22, 2013
Afam4eva:
That has exactly being my point. Wrestling power should not be the sole vision of an opposition group. Rather, it should be about creating a viable alternative but i don't see how APC is going to achieve that when they're courting people that have contributed to the appalling state that the country is today.

Face you PDP for a minute! We don't need your advise. PDP is imploding and you should direct your advise to Bamanga Tukur and PDP.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by homesteady(m): 11:07pm On Dec 22, 2013
Words from a wise man!
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by aventura: 11:07pm On Dec 22, 2013
Like I've always said, the difference between APC and PDP is the acronym.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Nobody: 11:21pm On Dec 22, 2013
Soyinka has a good point. The line between APC and PDP is becoming increasingly blurred. If the trend is not checked, it ll just look like Tinubu and Buhari have decamped to PDP. APC has enough governors to fight PDP already. They should concentrate on "bonding" and grassroot mobilization.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by c0llynz02: 11:23pm On Dec 22, 2013
“If General Sani Abacha were alive
today, would he also have been on the ship's
complement? As Captain perhaps?”

hmmmmm
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Olaone1: 11:49pm On Dec 22, 2013
Prof Corruption: Soyinka has a good point. The line between APC and PDP is becoming increasingly blurred. If the trend is not checked, it ll just look like Tinubu and Buhari have decamped to PDP. APC has enough governors to fight PDP already. They should concentrate on "bonding" and grassroot mobilization.

You're right
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by ikeyman00(m): 11:53pm On Dec 22, 2013
@@

once again

we say useless opposition!
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Kairoseki77: 11:59pm On Dec 22, 2013
Afam4eva: it's known fact that Soyinka hates OBJ with a passion and i'm with him on this. My only problem is that he never commented on the other characters that APC has been courting for some time now.

Just a few months ago, you were saying TERRIBLE things about him.

What changed? grin

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by obuksjr(m): 1:09am On Dec 23, 2013
By professor's assertion of APC scouting for whoever they deemed advantageous to wrestle power from the present government by leveraging integrity and personality speaks volume about their political modalities which are not of benefit to the common man but to the grandstanding and egocentric desperadoes.How can you say you are a progressive and at the same time embarking on a retrogressive mission?The inclusion of unrepentant corrupt fellows in a salvage ship on a rescue mission will definitely put the destination of such ship in doubt,that is if wreck doesn't occur before departure. As a viable opposition,APC's logical proposition should be how to market their manifesto to the masses and engaging in constructive criticisms that attract mass appeal by telling us what they have in stock and not by in pretence turning a blind eye to the pedigree of their newly found political disasters that plunged this nation into the current state of mess because of their insatiable quest for power.In the name of increasing in numerical strength of political gladiators in their camp they suddenly developed 'amnesia' forgeting who the enemies of this nation are,then how do you expect the citizenry to entrust you with their vote when you don't have a clear-cut definition of their problem,that means, as my people cannot vouch for you having our interest in heart,we will have to continue to gnash our teeth and make do with what we have while the suffering last since we cannot differentiate between the opposition(APC) and the government in power(PDP) any longer.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by reporter1: 1:18am On Dec 23, 2013
Prof Corruption: Soyinka has a good point. The line between APC and PDP is becoming increasingly blurred. If the trend is not checked, it ll just look like Tinubu and Buhari have decamped to PDP. APC has enough governors to fight PDP already. They should concentrate on "bonding" and grassroot mobilization.

It may seem so on the surface. However, what a APC is trying to do is build a coalition in a shortest time frame possible. Don't forget election is but a few months ahead. Whatever they need to build, they need it to do it now. Grassroot mobilization takes years of planning which APC does not have.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Brimmie(m): 1:27am On Dec 23, 2013
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Nobody: 1:58am On Dec 23, 2013
So true,with the likes of OBJ,and co,APC would soon be a disaster to happen. Those old hags shouldn't be involved,else the party would soon be difficult to control.

Sooner,PDP will be like"once upon a time".
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by kettykin: 3:45am On Dec 23, 2013
@soyinka what really is a ship wreck is it a coup information being broadcasted in a coded manner or is a ship wreck the grounding of the nigerian ship, how will tinubu and obasanjo bring nigeria to its knees, how can ogun and lagos ground nigeria or even the SW ground nigeria
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Kingspin(m): 6:14am On Dec 23, 2013
APC is a disaster waiting for Nigeria. These guys are power extremist and has nothing better to offer this nation. It very clear now that they have a plan B which is to bring down the country. The president also said it that is seem to him already that they have laid landmines for him. Let's watch how it would explode. 2015, is a million man question but have one answer for all of us. Thank God mr president respond to OBJ confirm he (GEJ) is ready and some of us are ready incase. Wake up 9ja.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by tosan200(m): 6:24am On Dec 23, 2013
Exactly my point, but to wrestle power from the present PDP,you need to fight dirty and this people are politicians.
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by ucyoma(m): 7:44am On Dec 23, 2013
I thought APC was the messiah that would bring the desired change we need in Nigeria, but APC’s incessant admission and political romance with very obvious bad eggs in the system just made rubbish of my silly hasty-thoughts pointing to one fact
APC’s mission is not to fight corruption or bring change as they made us thought, but just a syndicate of desperate power hijackers and desperadoes ( in the people of Buhari, Tinubu n co) and unhappy, aggrieved elites who so desperate to thirst power and not happy that GEJ is from the Minority (and as such shouldn’t rule)
At this juncture, itx obvious dat what we nid in Nigeria is not change but revolution. We need sm1 lyk Jerry Rawlings of Ghana who will take tinx personal n flush the entire bad eggs out of the system
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by ucyoma(m): 7:48am On Dec 23, 2013
reporter?:

It may seem so on the surface. However, what a APC is trying to do is build a coalition in a shortest time frame possible. Don't forget election is but a few months ahead. Whatever they need to build, they need it to do it now. Grassroot mobilization takes years of planning which APC does not have.

grass root my foot

with evil men??

,it's quite unfortunate that ethnic solidarity has sapped common sense out of u
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by dridowu: 7:59am On Dec 23, 2013
Soyinka said something now, they support him, they hail him but some months back he said the truth they called him names.
@topic, Kudos to Soyinka for pouring out his mind but I will always Gbadun Baba Iyabo to the core
Re: Soyinka Warns Of Political Shipwreck As APC Leaders Court Obasanjo, Others by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 23, 2013
kettykin: @[b]soyinka what really is a ship wreck is it [/b]a coup information being broadcasted in a coded manner or is a ship wreck the grounding of the nigerian ship, how will tinubu and obasanjo bring nigeria to its knees, how can ogun and lagos ground nigeria or even the SW ground nigeria

Le sigh. Anyone older than 10 years old should be able to discern the word, in the figurative way, in which he used it.

Let me break it down for you:

- APC said: "Tinubu added that the APC had resolved to rescue Nigeria, appealing to Obasanjo to lead the mission. We’re resolved and determined to rescue Nigeria. We want you as navigator."

- Wole Soyinka: "If this attribution is correct, may I urge you, as an urgent public service, to advise families to begin the stockpiling of life- belts for the guaranteed crash. Don't forget to alert the coastguards—ECOWAS (Economic Community of West African States), AU (African Union), UNO (United Nations Organization) etc etc—to be on the alert for possible salvage operations."

^^^That's just basic English. He's just basically saying that, Obasanjo, can never navigate Nigeria, on a rescue mission - else, there would be another Titanic incident. Since the man is one of the people who destroyed the country. Comprehende?

Stop reading everything backwards and start paying attention to detail. undecided

Thank me later!!

I'm out.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Update On Dimgba Igwe Death/assassination: “I Warned Him Against Orji Uzor Kalu” / Redeemed Church Pastor Jailed For N5million Fraud / LOL! So Gen. Obansanjo Himself Is A Woman Wrapper? See Pix.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.