Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,721 members, 7,816,970 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 09:35 PM

The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". (6825 Views)

Krayola State Your Case For The Historical Jesus. / The Pagan Origin Of The Word "AMEN" / The Myth Of Nazareth: Did the historical Jesus Exist? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 10:53am On Jan 05, 2014
I simply want to know how you got to know God created this universe. Besides you didn't say anything else about God other than he created the universe.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by macof(m): 12:19pm On Jan 05, 2014
Abiola you do not know anything. I am a Yoruba pagan and you are in No position to interpret stories that you do not regard. You as an Arab slave should go to Arabia and interpret the Quran and leave Ifa alone.

www.nairaland.com/1577497/god-science
Here's wat you don't know about Orisha.

The names ascribed to them are mostly from Great ancestors that doesn't make them the ancestor.
These primordial forces have always existed before any these men existed. Your lack of understand is caused by your limited knowledge and ignorance. Plus you don'tbring Islamic ideas into Spirituality, Spirituality is far ahead of religion. Religion is only a created concept of man to impose a character called 'God' on people.

The Orisha are named after some exceptional ancestors who display characters appealing to a particular force. Like Lord Sango Olukoso was King of Oyo after his death he became Orishalized- major traits of his life was fitting for a Thunder and Lightening personification. But it is not Sango(the human) we worship but Sango the primordial force of lightening and thunder- wat science calls Electrostatic Potential Energy

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 8:24pm On Jan 05, 2014
Kay 17: I simply want to know how you got to know God created this universe.
You simply want me to tell you something so that u can dispute it. Lets reason it out!

Kay 17:
Besides you didn't say anything else about God other than he created the universe.
He created universe - Known/Unknown
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 8:54pm On Jan 05, 2014
macof: Abiola you do not know anything.
Because i don't belong to ur school of thought?

macof:
I am a Yoruba pagan and you are in No position to interpret stories that you do not regard.
The bolded doesn't matter.

macof:
You as an Arab slave should go to Arabia and interpret the Quran and leave Ifa alone.
You pagan hypocrite! So you can tell me to leave Ifa alone?

macof:
Here's wat you don't know about Orisha.

The names ascribed to them are mostly from Great ancestors that doesn't make them the ancestor.
These primordial forces have always existed before any these men existed.
What was these forces' names before any of these men existed, Sango in particular?

macof:
Your lack of understand is caused by your limited knowledge and ignorance.
Whatever! I think ur own knowledge is unlimited?

macof:
Plus you don'tbring Islamic ideas into Spirituality,
But u can bring Spirituality ideas into Islam?
macof:
Spirituality is far ahead of religion.
You don't mean it! What makes it ahead?

macof:
Religion is only a created concept of man to impose a character called 'God' on people.
What do you know about God?

macof:
The Orisha are named after some exceptional ancestors who display characters appealing to a particular force. Like Lord Sango Olukoso was King of Oyo after his death he became Orishalized- major traits of his life was fitting for a Thunder and Lightening personification. But it is not Sango(the human) we worship but Sango the primordial force of lightening and thunder- wat science calls Electrostatic Potential Energy
You make sense only to urself.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by macof(m): 10:18pm On Jan 05, 2014
harbiola1: Because i don't belong to ur school of thought?

The bolded doesn't matter.

You pagan hypocrite! So you can tell me to leave Ifa alone?

What was these forces' names before any of these men existed, Sango in particular?

Whatever! I think ur own knowledge is unlimited?

But u can bring Spirituality ideas into Islam?

You don't mean it! What makes it ahead?

What do you know about God?

You make sense only to urself.

As I said you don't bring religion into spirituality.
Yoruba spirituality is on a higher level of understanding and uinteractions with primordial forces than Islam.
As OlaoChi said you only bringing Islamic ideas into your interpretation of stories you don't regard.

Sango was called Jakuta, before that called Aramfe

You better repent and Accept your identity and stop parading with this Yoruba worship dead men as God idea just in a bid to ridicule Yoruba

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 12:23am On Jan 06, 2014
Where you there when God was creating the universe?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 10:08am On Jan 06, 2014
macof:

As I said you don't bring religion into spirituality.
Yoruba spirituality is on a higher level of understanding and uinteractions with primordial forces than Islam.
As OlaoChi said you only bringing Islamic ideas into your interpretation of stories you don't regard.
Wait o, who owns the thread, and who intervene in what [s]he didn't regard?

macof:
Sango was called Jakuta, before that called Aramfe
You better repent and Accept your identity
grin grin grin I should repent?

My identity is Islam. Islam is natural. The father of Yorubas was a Muslim and was never a Pagan like you. Paganism/Spirituality that u're practicing was inspired by satan to alter the monotheistic ideology of Yoruba ancestor.

I won't be surprised if u don't understand.

macof:
and stop parading with this Yoruba worship dead men as God idea just in a bid to ridicule Yoruba
I'm not ridiculing Yoruba and i'll never do.
You're the one that's ridiculing ur creator by worshiping non-existing deities and attribute the role of the creator to them. You're a Muslim and never a pagan by birth. Stop this ur spiritual delusions.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 10:20am On Jan 06, 2014
Kay 17: Where you there when God was creating the universe?
You're asking a rhetorical question.

Universe is a creation and it precedes ur gods. What does that tells u?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 10:53am On Jan 06, 2014
Yes it is patently obvious you were not there, therefore you couldn't have known whether God created this universe. So you were saying rubbish

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by mazaje(m): 11:05am On Jan 06, 2014
@harbiola1

Do all monotheistic religions believe in the same god?. . .

How is the father of yoruba people a muslim?. . .
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by mazaje(m): 11:06am On Jan 06, 2014
harbiola1:
You're asking a rhetorical question.

Universe is a creation and it precedes ur gods. What does that tells u?

The universe was created by the hindu goddes shiva. . .

2 Likes

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by macof(m): 12:39pm On Jan 06, 2014
harbiola1:
Wait o, who owns the thread, and who intervene in what [s]he didn't regard?
we all know you don't regard Yoruba spirituality.

grin grin grin I should repent?

My identity is Islam. Islam is natural.

The father of Yorubas was a Muslim and was never a Pagan like you. Paganism/Spirituality that u're practicing was inspired by satan to alter the monotheistic ideology of Yoruba ancestor.
Your natural identity- which you were ordained by the natural selection of the universe is Yoruba, Ibadan to be precise. Your tribal and ethnic identity is what you are, you only deny it.

Who is the father of Yorubas? How can he be Muslim when this land has been occupied for thousands of years before Mohammed was even born

What is paganism? What is spirituality?
Because it seems you do not know this, answer the question let's see.

I won't be surprised if u don't understand.
there's nothing Islamic I do not understand, it is you who doesn't understand your ancestors

I'm not ridiculing Yoruba and i'll never do.
You're the one that's ridiculing ur creator by worshiping non-existing deities and attribute the role of the creator to them. You're a Muslim and never a pagan by birth. Stop this ur spiritual delusions.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 12:50pm On Jan 06, 2014
Kay 17: Yes it is patently obvious you were not there, therefore you couldn't have known whether God created this universe. So you were saying rubbish
It is obvious that u don't have a zeal for the discussion so u need an excuse like the above. Nothing do u!

I believe that the creation of everything in the universe was brought into being by God's sheer command - "Be, and so it is".

I know that ur gods are products of Big Bang, so i'm not supprise about the argument u're trying to bring forward.

But can you say Olodumare is also a product of something?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 1:03pm On Jan 06, 2014
mazaje: @harbiola1

Do all monotheistic religions believe in the same god?. . . one God
Yes!

mazaje:
How is the father of yoruba people a muslim?. . .
In a religious context, Islam means; "Voluntary submission to God."
They preceded those pagan gods so they couldn't have worshiped them but God.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 1:17pm On Jan 06, 2014
mazaje:

The universe was created by the hindu goddes shiva . . .
No! It was by Obatala.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 1:24pm On Jan 06, 2014
harbiola1:
It is obvious that u don't have a zeal for the discussion so u need an excuse like the above. Nothing do u!

I believe that the creation of everything in the universe was brought into being by God's sheer command - "Be, and so it is".

I know that ur gods are products of Big Bang, so i'm not supprise about the argument u're trying to bring forward.

I'm very interested and further you admit in the bolded, that God's creation of the Universe is a mere belief of yours without substance. Of what use is there to debate over speculations?!

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 2:19pm On Jan 06, 2014
Kay 17:

I'm very interested and further you admit in the bolded, that God's creation of the Universe is a mere belief of yours without substance. Of what use is there to debate over speculations?!
Which substance would u have conceded with?
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by macof(m): 2:39pm On Jan 06, 2014

Abiola you claim The Yoruba ancestors started honoring one God. Well I can't say No to that cause I wasn't there but Spirituality is built on philosophy and astrological research and observation.
Spirituality is bound to evolve as adherents gain a new understanding of the universe. From the discovering of Iron matter to Frozen Hydros Our ancient fathers learnt more about the universe on a daily basis before coming to the conclusion of A creator(Olodumare) with 400 children(Orisha)
Read the link above
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by mazaje(m): 2:54pm On Jan 06, 2014
harbiola1:
Yes!
False, the hindu god krishna is not the same with the god os islam which is allah. . .Very different attributes. . .

In a religious context, Islam means; "Voluntary submission to God."
They preceded those pagan gods so they couldn't have worshiped them but God.

islam means submission to the will of the islamic god. . .It does not mean the christian god, the hindu god or the mayan gods and goddesses. . .islam believes in one god the manyans and hindus believe in many gods, to insist that only one god exist because you happen to be indoctrinated with only one idea of god is silly. . .Show me that only one god exist and not so many gods. . .

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by mazaje(m): 2:55pm On Jan 06, 2014
harbiola1:
No! It was by Obatala.

You are making baseless claims with out evidence and dismissing the claims of others as well. . .
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 3:04pm On Jan 06, 2014
macof:
we all know you don't regard Yoruba spirituality.
And why would somebody just come in order to unsubstantialy dispprove what i regard?
macof:
Your natural identity- which you were ordained by the natural selection of the universe is Yoruba, Ibadan to be precise.
The bolded is due to ur ideology which opposes mine. I'm A Yoruba, yet one thing unite me with the world.

macof:
Your tribal and ethnic identity is what you are, you only deny it.
My deen is what i'm, and urs should be what u're. You're the one that turned apostate.

macof:
Who is the father of Yorubas? How can he be Muslim when this land has been occupied for thousands of years before Mohammed was even born
Well, i knew u can't understand.

[/quote] What is paganism? [/quote] The act of directing worship to Idols.
macof: What is spirituality?
The inner struggle to connect with God through fulfiling religious duties.
macof: Because it seems you do not know this, answer the question let's see.

Because i've been using the two words interchangably? I was only trying to make myself clear. lol, as if u know that there is nothing spiritual about paganism.
macof: there's nothing Islamic I do not understand, it is you who doesn't understand your ancestors
You don't know anything.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 3:06pm On Jan 06, 2014
mazaje:

You are making baseless claims with out evidence and dismissing the claims of others as well. . .
How
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 3:23pm On Jan 06, 2014
mazaje:
False, the hindu god krishna is not the same with the god os islam which is allah. . .Very different attributes. . .

That should convince you that one is and the other is not.

mazaje:
islam means submission to the will of the islamic god. . .
Islamic God or The Creator God.

mazaje:
It does not mean the christian god,
Christians, Muslims, Pagans call him "Olodumare"

mazaje:
the hindu god or the mayan gods and goddesses. . .islam believes in one god the manyans and hindus believe in many gods, to insist that only one god exist because you happen to be indoctrinated with only one idea of god is silly. . .
There are many gods

mazaje:
Show me that only one god exist and not so many gods. . .
There are many gods
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by mazaje(m): 3:31pm On Jan 06, 2014
harbiola1:

That should convince you that one is and the other is not.

Nope that should convince you that all of them are human creation and human ideas. . .It is just like saying the US dollar is the only currency in the world because it is the currency for international business and all other currencies are fake. . .God is a human idea that is why there are many different gods and many different religions

Islamic God or The Creator God.

Islamic god whose name is allah, he is not the same as the hindu god Brahama. . .

Christians, Muslims, Pagans call him "Olodumare"

False, Olodumare is NOT the same as allah or Yahweh the god of the jews or even Jesus. . .If you follow the real yoruba tradition the god has different attributes from allah the islamic god. . .It is the arabs and the christians that just used the generic name and substituted it with their own god's name. . .

There are many gods

Yep, and allah is one of them. . .

1 Like

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by macof(m): 4:08pm On Jan 06, 2014
harbiola1:
And why would somebody just come in order to unsubstantialy dispprove what i regard?
We all have an ideology which could be conflicting, Christians disapprove your Islam, Islam disapprove Buddhism

The bolded is due to ur ideology which opposes mine. I'm A Yoruba, yet one thing unite me with the world.
You are Yoruba by ancestral bloodline which is a result of the natural selection attribute of the universe- this is what Yoruba call "Ipin" which brings me to Ifa Orunmila as "Eleri Ipin" which means 'witness to the natural selection' That is why Ifa is an object of prophecy and fulfillment of destiny.
This is what your ANCESTORS who have kept your bloodline Have Practiced for millennias

My deen is what i'm, and urs should be what u're. You're the one that turned apostate.
You are born Yoruba and it is your duty to live Yoruba and die Yoruba. Not to be Arab slave

Well, i knew u can't understand.
Understand wat? That you are brainwashed to think Arabs are pure breeds of higher traditions, Culture and Language that you worship the creator as they demand you. While dumping the worship system of Your Tribe

What is paganism? The act of directing worship to Idols. What is spirituality?
The inner struggle to connect with God through fulfiling religious duties. Because it seems you do not know this, answer the question let's see.
Paganism is practicing your tribal and ethnic culture, traditions and spirituality, Paganism is the default nature of Man
That is why I say everyone is born a pagan.
Use of idols is only an attribute in paganism not that it is Paganism

Spirituality is superior to religion, you do not restrict spirituality to the confines of religious doctrines.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality

Because i've been using the two words interchangably? I was only trying to make myself clear. lol, as if u know that there is nothing spiritual about paganism. there's nothing Islamic I do not understand, it is you who doesn't understand your ancestors You don't know anything.
You don't know the meaning of the two words, and don't know how to use them in a sentence.

Paganism is an encompass of Culture, Tradition, Spirituality and Language.

I don't understand my ancestors So it's you dat understands them, right? You who disgrace them, You who call them worshipers of dead men
Pls you should release yourself from confusion.
Pray to Esu lalu to give you understanding and release you from confusion.

2 Likes

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by peterphd(m): 8:02pm On Jan 06, 2014
harbiola1:

Your belief in something doesn't necessarily make it true.We all know that Muhammed copied the Jewish religion, zoroastrianism, and Arab paganism and then murdered all those who didn't believe him.The Egyptians are the oldest civilisation.where was allah when their gods horus et al were being worshipped?

3 Likes

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by macof(m): 8:37pm On Jan 06, 2014
peterphd:

Your belief in something doesn't necessarily make it true.We all know that Muhammed copied the Jewish religion, zoroastrianism, and Arab paganism and then murdered all those who didn't believe him.The Egyptians are the oldest civilisation.where was allah when their gods horus et al were being worshipped?

Don't mind the slave, He wants to push Islam as the first religion in the world.
When we all know that Paganism is.

The Egyptians worshipped their own Gods, Yoruba worshipped their own, Canaanites worshipped their own, Greek worshipped their own, Germans Worshipped their own.
Abiola is coming to bring An Arab god upon everybody.
This idea of Islam is first religion is totally insane I tell you undecided

2 Likes

Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by OlaoChi: 8:43pm On Jan 06, 2014
Thank you macof for your information and Contribution
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by Kay17: 9:01pm On Jan 06, 2014
harbiola1:
Which substance would u have conceded with?

In other words you are just speculating.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by macof(m): 9:31pm On Jan 06, 2014
OlaoChi: Thank you macof for your information and Contribution

Always ready to leap in...nobody talks rubbish and ignorantly about Yoruba paganism without my interest
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 9:33pm On Jan 06, 2014
mazaje:

Nope that should convince you that all of them are human creation and human ideas. . .It is just like saying the US dollar is the only currency in the world because it is the currency for international business and all other currencies are fake. . .
God is a human idea that is why there are many different gods and many different religions

Currencies are the creation of men while God is the creator of men.

mazaje:
Islamic god whose name is allah, he is not the same as the hindu god Brahama. . .

Allah is not the same as brahama. Yes, i agree!

mazaje:
False, Olodumare is NOT the same as allah or Yahweh the god of the jews or even Jesus. . .
Allah, Olodumare, Yahweh are referring to ONE GOD in different language.

mazaje:
If you follow the real yoruba tradition the god has different attributes from allah the islamic god. . .
What are the attributes of Olodumare that is different from that of Allah.

mazaje:
It is the arabs and the christians that just used the generic name and substituted it with their own god's name. . .

What are they not using others like Obatala, Orunmila..., Mere coincidence?

mazaje:
Yep, and allah is one of them. . .

You don't know anything about what u're arguing about.

All these gods that u're referring to were men/women that used to live on earth.

The Creator God never physically live on earth.
God is neuter while these were male/female.

They used to live like an ordinary man.
They were like influencial people of this generation which could be idolized tomorrow.
Re: The Historical Origin Of The English Word "God". by harbiola1(m): 10:01pm On Jan 06, 2014
macof: We all have an ideology which could be conflicting, Christians disapprove your Islam, Islam disapprove Buddhism
You are Yoruba by ancestral bloodline which is a result of the natural selection attribute of the universe- this is what Yoruba call "Ipin" which brings me to Ifa Orunmila as "Eleri Ipin" which means 'witness to the natural selection' That is why Ifa is an object of prophecy and fulfillment of destiny.
This is what your ANCESTORS who have kept your bloodline Have Practiced for millennias
You are born Yoruba and it is your duty to live Yoruba and die Yoruba. Not to be Arab slave
You know what? Irunmoles are at work.

macof:
Understand wat? That you are brainwashed to think Arabs are pure breeds of higher traditions, Culture and Language that you worship the creator as they demand you.
How did Arabs worshiped? hope u know that they were once like you.

macof:
While dumping the worship system of Your Tribe
Paganism is practicing your tribal and ethnic culture, traditions and spirituality,
Is that all?

macof:
Paganism is the default nature of Man
Islam was reconfigured by Shaytan and it was name paganism by men.
Those that obey Iblis and subsequently became Shaytan have only one destination in afterlife.

macof:
That is why I say everyone is born a pagan.
Who were the first people in Yorubaland and who did they worship?

macof:
Use of idols is only an attribute in paganism not that it is Paganism
Spirituality is superior to religion, you do not restrict spirituality to the confines of religious doctrines.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirituality
Spirituality is of many types.

macof:
You don't know the meaning of the two words, and don't know how to use them in a sentence.
Paganism is an encompass of Culture, Tradition, Spirituality and Language.
I don't understand my ancestors So it's you dat understands them, right? You who disgrace them, You who call them worshipers of dead men
Pls you should release yourself from confusion.
You are not an ignorance of divine message. Those people were not like you. By referring to them to boost ur sense of belonging will only broaden ur disbelief in the ONESS OF GOD. Nothing could be as bad as dying as a Polytheist/Atheist.

macof:
Pray to Esu lalu to give you understanding and release you from confusion.
Esu is a god of confusion shocked shocked You wonder u're still a pagan grin grin grin

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

/ / PROOF Muslim Religion Worshipers Worship Idols Instead Of God / Christians, Learn How To Curse Your Enemies The Biblical Way.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.