Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,209 members, 7,829,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:06 AM

Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year (2298 Views)

Can Muslims Celebrate Valentine? / Do Muslims Celebrate Misfortune To Others While Christians Don't? / Kaduna Muslims Celebrate Death Of Governor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by salmoj: 11:17am On Dec 26, 2013
Zakbeel Mahmood Ibn wrote:
How could a Muslim celebrate Christmas and New Year’s? – By Shaykh Uthaymeen (rahimahullaah):
Then what is worse than that; is some Muslims celebrate the New Year, and they glorify it and venerate it, and it is connected to the religious occasion of the Christians; which is; what? The birthday of the Messiah Eesa ibn Maryam peace be upon him. Thus celebrating New Year’s Eve, yes, in relation with the birth of the Messiah; this is rejoicing with
their religious rites and practices. And rejoicing with kufr practices —if the person who is pleased with this is safe from disbelief—then it is as ibn Al Qayyim, may Allah have mercy upon him said in his book, ‘the ruling on the dhimmi’ it is more severe than being pleased with drinking alcohol and worshiping the cross. Thus the affair is very dangerous O brothers. It is not permissible for the person to celebrate Christmas; if he is a Muslim. And it is not permissible for him to congratulate them for this holiday; if he is a Muslim. And it is not permissible for him to respond to this greeting if they congratulate him for this holiday; if he is a Muslim. Subhan’Allah! Shall we congratulate them for a holiday which is considered as a religious practice? And is this anything other than being pleased with disbelief? But most of those who congratulate them do not intend to exalt their religion or practices, but rather they only intend what; to be courteous. And this is incorrect.
If someone says; I am courteous to them because they are courteous to me and they congratulate me for Eid Al-Fitr and Eid Al-Adha. We say: Alhamdulillah. If they congratulate you with Eid Al- Adha and Eid Al-Fitr, then they have congratulated you for legislated holiday, which Allah has made for His slaves. And it is mandatory for Eid Al-Adha and Eid Al-Fitr to be their holidays, because it is obligatory upon them to accept Islam. But if you congratulate them for Christmas then you are congratulating them for a holiday which Allah has not designated as a holiday. Thus Christmas has no basis in history and it has no basis in the religious legislation. Eesa ibn Maryam did not command them to establish this holiday. Thus it is either that, which was entered into the religion of the Messiah as innovation and misguidance, or it was prescribed in the legislation of Eesa ibn Maryam but it has been abrogated by the legislation of Islam. Therefore it has no basis by any estimation. Because if we said it is from the innovation of the Christians and  it is not from their legislation; then it is misguidance. And if we said it is from their legislation, then it has been abrogated; and to worship Allah with an abrogated religion is misguidance; thus it is misguidance by any estimation. And because it is misguidance, how is it befitting for me—while I am a Muslim—to congratulate them for it?!
And we have answered the issue of them congratulating us for our Eid and us not congratulating them for their holiday because our Eid has been legislated by Allah the Exalted; while their holiday is not legislated. This is because it has either been fabricated in their legislation or abrogated by our legislation. Thus it has no basis in any regard.
And Allah knows best.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by Nobody: 12:07pm On Dec 26, 2013
W0t m0re can i saY
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by AlBaqir(m): 2:45am On Dec 27, 2013
NEW YEAR CELEBRATION!
What is bad about New year celebration, O followers of Uthaymeen or Ibn Baz et al?

The gregorian calendar is based on the rotation of the sun just like the lunar calendar is based on the rotation of the moon. Who created the sun and the moon and have both rotate in its course? Allah (swt)!

Allah NEVER ordained a particular calendar in the holy Qur'an if you care to listen. He simply declared 12 months in a year (sura Tawbah). Both calendar have 12months and both have been proven by the passage of time and human development in natural sciences to be correct.

Even before the birth of the prophet (saws), the 12 months were known to the Arabs and the moon is commonly used for their calendar just like they use stars to navigate. Being an age long 'arabian cultural' thing, the Holy prophet (saws) never changed that.

Note: Hijrah calendar was not of the prophet (saws) approval. It was the idea of the 2nd khaliph. Why does he choose the event of Hijrah to be 1st year of Islamic calendar? Whatever the intent is, it was somebody's idea.

If you however think Gregorian calendar is Kufur calendar, then why do you continue using it as an individual in schools, offices et al? Nothing is being imposed on you. According to your fatwa, if you are not allowed to practice, you can migrate.

I respect Lunar calendar as a Muslim because of easy allocations of Islamic spiritual events and connections and I used it for this purposes. It is however, self-fishness, ignorance, stupidity to say Gregorian calendar is Kufur. Whatever 'evil acts' people practice in the celebration of new year is what should be condemn not the calendar itself. And please save the story of "Jan, Feb, March etc are names of Roman gods..."

Chinese, Indian, Persia, Bahai etc have their own cultural calendars according to their age-long history different from Hijri and Gregorian based on the natural rotation of the "sun and the moon".

I wish you a prosperous NEW YEAR.

Wa salam Alaykum.

1 Like

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by opeyemi2013: 5:18pm On Dec 29, 2013
Al-Baqir:
NEW YEAR CELEBRATION!
What is bad about New year celebration, O followers of Uthaymeen or Ibn Baz et al?

The gregorian calendar is based on the rotation of the sun just like the lunar calendar is based on the rotation of the moon. Who created the sun and the moon and have both rotate in its course? Allah (swt)!

Allah NEVER ordained a particular calendar in the holy Qur'an if you care to listen. He simply declared 12 months in a year (sura Tawbah). Both calendar have 12months and both have been proven by the passage of time and human development in natural sciences to be correct.

Even before the birth of the prophet (saws), the 12 months were known to the Arabs and the moon is commonly used for their calendar just like they use stars to navigate. Being an age long 'arabian cultural' thing, the Holy prophet (saws) never changed that.

Note: Hijrah calendar was not of the prophet (saws) approval. It was the idea of the 2nd khaliph. Why does he choose the event of Hijrah to be 1st year of Islamic calendar? Whatever the intent is, it was somebody's idea.

If you however think Gregorian calendar is Kufur calendar, then why do you continue using it as an individual in schools, offices et al? Nothing is being imposed on you. According to your fatwa, if you are not allowed to practice, you can migrate.

I respect Lunar calendar as a Muslim because of easy allocations of Islamic spiritual events and connections and I used it for this purposes. It is however, self-fishness, ignorance, stupidity to say Gregorian calendar is Kufur. Whatever 'evil acts' people practice in the celebration of new year is what should be condemn not the calendar itself. And please save the story of "Jan, Feb, March etc are names of Roman gods..."

Chinese, Indian, Persia, Bahai etc have their own cultural calendars according to their age-long history different from Hijri and Gregorian based on the natural rotation of the "sun and the moon".

I wish you a prosperous NEW YEAR.

Wa salam Alaykum.
who invited you to bring your own shia view regarding Muslims celebration of Christmas and new-year. We are talking about the views of scholars in Islam on the celebration of Christmas and new year by Muslims according to what is in the Quran and the sunnah of prophet not according to the shia misinterpretation of Quran. Muslims follow Quran as interpreted by salaf through sahih headiths like bukhari, muslim and the likes. You shia dont belive in these books so nothing consign you when muslims are analysing islam according to these books
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by AlBaqir(m): 8:49pm On Dec 29, 2013
opeyemi@2013:
who invited you to bring your own shia view regarding Muslims celebration of Christmas and new-year. We are talking about the views of scholars in Islam on the celebration of Christmas and new year by Muslims according to what is in the Quran and the sunnah of prophet not according to the shia misinterpretation of Quran. Muslims follow Quran as interpreted by salaf through sahih headiths like bukhari, muslim and the likes. You shia dont belive in these books so nothing consign you when muslims are analysing islam according to these books

Arrogance and Hatred block and blind heart from reaching the truth. That was what condemned shay'tan against Adam. Shay'tan knew the truth but the arrogance and hatred in his heart made him denied it.

A muslim share and seek knowledge not fanaticism and being adamant to reason.

"Call to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good exhortation, and reason with them in the best way. Lo! Your Lord best knows those who astray from His path, and He knows best those who are rightly guided"~ Qur'an 16:125
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by harmeenart(f): 9:57pm On Dec 29, 2013
Al-Baqir:

Arrogance and Hatred block and blind heart from reaching the truth.

"Call to the way of your Lord with wisdom and good exhortation, and reason with them in the best way. Lo! Your Lord best knows those who astray from His path, and He knows best those who are rightly guided"~ Qur'an 16:125
So shi'ism is the truth?
Hmmmm.
Dear muslims, go and know that islam recognises only two celebrations: Eidl Fitri and Eidl kabir. Any other annual celebration is not part of islam. Moreover, we should learn to celebrate/thank Allah for our existence everytime,not just yearly.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by AlBaqir(m): 10:54pm On Dec 29, 2013
harmeenart:
So shi'ism is the truth?
Hmmmm.
Dear muslims, go and know that islam recognises only two celebrations: Eidl Fitri and Eidl kabir. Any other annual celebration is not part of islam. Moreover, we should learn to celebrate/thank Allah for our existence everytime,not just yearly.

Hahaha! Why do you prefer to block your reasoning from common sense?
What does 'New year' got to do with Shi'ism? Again: Arrogance and Hatred are tools of destruction. Beware.

On the other hand. What's your justification of Hijri calendar? Does the holy prophet (saws) EVER practice it? How does the Muslim world celebrate it?

How we celebrate, and intent of the celebration are what Allah need.

Abdullah Ibn Abbas (r.a) :

“Whatever the Qur’an termed as Halal is Halal and whatever it deemed Haram is Haram and about which it remained silent, this is forgiven” (Abu Dawud Vol 2)

Whatever Qur'an and Rasul remain silent on, NOBODY has the right to term it Haram or Bid'a.

May Allah wake u up from your slumber and open your heart, widen your reasoning from the lock of fanaticism.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by harmeenart(f): 11:59pm On Dec 29, 2013
Al-Baqir:

Hahaha! Why do you prefer to block your reasoning from common sense?
Seriously,:-/.
This statement shows your level of reasoning.Learn to speak good or keep quiet and think before you talk too, it really helps.

What does 'New year' got to do with Shi'ism?
Again, read well before u reply. I never said it had anything to do with it. I only replied this statement of yours.
Arrogance and Hatred block and blind heart from reaching the truth.
I asked rhetorically if shi'ism is the truth. Plus, i don't need an answer,its rhetoric.

On the other hand. What's your justification of Hijri calendar? Does the holy prophet (saws) EVER practice it? How does the Muslim world celebrate it?
Yes,the prophet practiced it.He used the months in the calender. Last I checked, we fast in ramadan and not August. Umar only started the dating from the year they migrated.
Muslims shouldnt celebrate hijra.
How we celebrate, and intent of the celebration are what Allah need.
Not when it is attached to shirk.

Abdullah Ibn Abbas (r.a) :

“Whatever the Qur’an termed as Halal is Halal and whatever it deemed Haram is Haram and about which it remained silent, this is forgiven” (Abu Dawud Vol 2)

Whatever Qur'an and Rasul remain silent on, NOBODY has the right to term it Haram or Bid'a.
Nobody has the right to make anything haram and halal. Read on the origin of the celebration and see if it is has nothing to do with shrik.
Al-baqir:

May Allah wake me up from my slumber and open my heart, widen my reasoning from the lock of fanaticism.
Bros, I've modified it for u.I noticed some mistakes.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by AlBaqir(m): 12:44am On Dec 30, 2013
harmeenart: Seriously,:-/.
This statement shows your level of reasoning.Learn to speak good or keep quiet and think before you talk too, it really helps.

Very good advice. Its better you follow suit.

harmeenart:

Again, read well before u reply. I never said it had anything to do with it. I only replied this statement of yours.
I asked rhetorically if shi'ism is the truth. Plus, i don't need an answer,its rhetoric.

But you can still make your point by not "rhetorically" mention Shi'a at all. Isn't it?
That's obsession I guess.

harmeenart: Yes,the prophet practiced it.He used the months in the calender. Last I checked, we fast in ramadan and not August. Umar only started the dating from the year they migrated.
Muslims shouldnt celebrate hijra.

OH! I like that: "he used the month in the calendar". And for your information even before the birth of the blessed prophet (saws) and the advent of Islam, Arabs have been using those months.

The fact still remain prophet never ever recommended the "Hijri year". Umar only decided based on his reasoning and by Allah it was a good thing. Such a thing falls within what Abdullah Ibn Abbas said:

"...whatever Qur'an remain silent on, is forgiven"

Had the holy prophet (saws) and his companions were European, Indian, Iranian, Chinese et al; possibility of using the existing 'cultural' calendar is high.

Both Sun and Moon are both Allah's creature and were created for numerous purposes among whom were forging 'calendar' out of them. So I see no reason why you choose to condemn Gregorian Calendar and its New year. No doubt a Muslim should pay more attention to Islamic months because of certain spiritual dates and moments in it.

harmeenart:
Not when it is attached to shirk.

Why don't you single out the "shirk" in the celebration rather than burning the whole house because of a single mice?

Ka'aba was not destroyed because of the age-long idol being worshipped in it. It was purified!

harmeenart:
Bros, I've modified it for u.I noticed some mistakes.

You see? "Modification, edition". What are you afraid of dear? That act of changing people's original text without permission is definitely not Islamic

The legacy of Abdullah Yusuf Ali - English translation and commentary of the holy Qur'an have been reduced to Nothing today thanks to the so-called "Edition and modification".

Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Sunan Tirmidhi, Sahih Bukhari, Sahih Muslim are gradually following suit in the line of Edition. I wipe for the generation to come.

If people's opinion or accusation is contrary to yours, you simply make a counter-reply or you put foot-notes not Editing or Modifying.

Its a shameful and dubious act.

1 Like

Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by Nobody: 12:54pm On Dec 31, 2013
harmeenart(f):I see no reason why you choose to condemn Gregorian Calendar and its New year.
I hope you know St.Gregory was a pope between the years 509-604 AD.
Re: Can Muslims Celebrate Christmas And New Year by harmeenart(f): 1:18am On Jan 04, 2014
@kolawaxxy: The above isn't my statement. Read my posts again.
Al-Baqir:
If you think you can seperate its existence from shrik, you are on your own o. And about modifying your posts, I only redirected ur dua towards you. I see no reason why I should change the content of ur posts. Moreover, its ur opinion.

(1) (Reply)

Michael Jackson Is Dead ! A Lesson For All / ‘iranian Film On Prophet Un-islamic’ / Most Beautiful Month In The Year

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.