Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,522 members, 7,816,279 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

My Salary Account Was Credited Twice - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / My Salary Account Was Credited Twice (12918 Views)

My Salary Bank Statement In Kogi For 2015 & Last Promotion Letter (pics) / Is It Good To Leave Huge Amount Of Money In Ur Salary Account? / Picture: Anything Bad Spending My Salary This Way? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by aviela(f): 11:44am On Aug 06, 2008
@ 4 real I concur. @ poster i believe you know what to do.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by orisebawo(m): 12:03pm On Aug 06, 2008
@Poster,

My advise is don't spend the money and the interest that would have accumulated.

If i were in your shoes this is what i will do.

I will write a proper formal report on the shortcomings of the organisations systems and also come up with ways of increasing the integrity of the system, use your experience of being double paid as a case study and advise on ways to prevent such occurence happening in the future (you might need to do some research to come up with a viable solution). In your conclusions state how much you have been overpaid to date and how much has accumulated in interest and make it clear you are going to return the money to the organisation.

Send the report to your head of department and copy the HR department.

The organisation will be most impressed and might decide to retain you based on your integrity and problem solving skills.

In future you can always be assured of a good reference.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by PurestBoy(m): 12:25pm On Aug 06, 2008
orisebawo:

@Poster,

My advise is don't spend the money and the interest that would have accumulated.

If i were in your shoes this is what i will do.

I will write a proper formal report on the shortcomings of the organisations systems and also come up with ways of inreasing the integrity of the system, use your experience of being double paid as a case study and advise on ways to prevent such occurence happening in the future (you might need to do some research to come up with a viable solution). In your conclusions state how much you have been overpaid to date and how much has accumulated in interest and make it clear you are going to return the money to the organisation.

Send the report to your head of department and copy the HR department.

The organisation will be most impressed and might decide to retain you based on your integrity and problem solving skills.

In future you can always be assured of a good reference.

What a lovely idea, The best I've read so far
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by papagiddy(m): 1:09pm On Aug 06, 2008
Infact i thank those that advice the guy to return the over payment. this goes a long way to discover that some Nigerians are still honest. infact am happy!
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by dove24u(m): 1:18pm On Aug 06, 2008
Honesty is the best policy. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by 4real3: 2:17pm On Aug 06, 2008
@poster
i think it is better you return the money. Its a given fact that the temptation is there to keep the money and act all innocent when discovered.

However the world is a small place and you might meet one of those people you are working with presently in future and they might remember how you kept quiet about the double salary being paid to you which to me is an intergrity issue and hence affect their opinion about you.

In life one has to endeavour to be honest especially as relates to work cos that character might be your door opener for something great in future.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by gtrich: 2:53pm On Aug 06, 2008
hello Laibanzn, I would advise you 2 raise an alarm very fast. U DON'T KNOW WHAT GOD HAS FOR U, EVEN THE MONEY CREDITED INTO UR ACCT WONT B ENOUGH 4 U, NOT 2 TALK OF MAKIN U RICH.
Your INTERGRITY FIRST. BEST OF LUCK
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Sholeyb: 3:37pm On Aug 06, 2008
I would advise that you alert them and return the money. Believe me you would have opportunties later in your life to earn double, triple maybe even 1000 times that money. Remember, you will either continue to be in the job market or run your own biz, whatever u choose, if people hear about this incident, they WILL NOT TRUST U.

Its not worth it for your future's sake, what if you contest for a public office, or you become an MD or your biz bcoms known worldwide? lesser things have crippled people's ambitions and their biz. Someone, may publicise the incident to the world.

Although legally, if your employer made a mistake paying it to your account, nobody has the right to remove it forcefully. But the other side of the argument is that you may be asked to prove where the money came from, and God help u if someone chooses to send EFCC to you, claiming u got the money thru unlawful/ illegal/ terrorist activities.

IT IS SOOOO NOT WORTH IT. In a few years, when you r making seriuos bucks, this money would seem totally unremarkable to u. You r the only one who can do the right thing. I hope u make the right one.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by switosman(m): 3:55pm On Aug 06, 2008
to be honest with you, bank records are for keeps they dont lie. these payments are in record and sooner or later it will show that somthing is wrong somewhere. this will then neccesitate an audit of records.
my advice to you is, ist check with the bank, ask them who is the account officer for your company. he or she may definitely show you the salary schedule from your company. if the schedule pays you double then get to your company, to the account personnel that prepares the salary but ist discuss with a senior person you trust, maybe your boss or manager for direction.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by buzugee(m): 4:30pm On Aug 06, 2008
all these pseudo righteous smedgetarian vegetarians sicken me to the pit of my stomach. let me get a  contract for 10 million dollars and use 3 million to do the contract and keep 7 million for myself and then call one of you to share the 7 million dollars stolen money halfway with me (3.5 million dollars ) let me see how righteous you fugazy negros are wink
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by fyneguy: 5:41pm On Aug 06, 2008
hmmm

I didnt expect this topic to expose what really motivated people away from fraud.

Most of the contributors hinged their suggestions on the possibility of getting caught. Some based it on tests bla bla bla.

very few, if any, really based it on morality.

That speaks volume for the level of corruption and immorality in the land
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by titilaelae(f): 5:45pm On Aug 06, 2008
@Poster, from others' contributions so far you ought to have returned the money by now.
Like several others have said, the error will DEFINITELY be discovered, and  soon too. I also think  it's better you draw your organization's attention to it before it's found out, anyhow you choose to, just initiate it. Let me share a friend/colleague's experience with you. We worked in a bank and her salary account was credited twice in one month. She withdrew everything and went on a shopping spree. She did not deem it fit to tell me or anybody else. The following month the error was detected and a strongly worded Memo was issued to her asking her to refund the excess asap or else, !   It was then she wanted to take a loan from me and  If not for God I wouldn't have helped her as I considered her greedy. So, dear one, uphold your integrity. They MAY or MAY NOT  retain you after your service year, it's not all about reward/compensation.  To me, what matters is a clear conscience.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by titilaelae(f): 5:46pm On Aug 06, 2008
Fineguy, you read my mind. Just the point I was trying to make.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by fyneguy: 6:14pm On Aug 06, 2008
why has the poster not updated us on her decision?

By now she should have come to say "I returned the money and they queried me for late information''
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by oolumide: 6:30pm On Aug 06, 2008
There are no other ways to describe what are involved in than stealing, lack of integrity, lack of respect for your employer, yourself, your family members. How can you do such a thing, do you need to be a brain surgeon to know that one day the system will throw up this anomaly and you will be caught pant down. You will not only be asked to pay back but also fired. You better raise the issue now with your HR or immediate supervisor.
angry shocked embarassed
Midee
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by BonHomme(m): 7:18pm On Aug 06, 2008
@poster
I think you already know the right thing to do cos ur conscience pricked u to start dis topic.
@all
Big Kudos to all of you that adviced him/her to return the money! It good to know dt there is still honesty and integrity in dis naija.
Ciao!
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by esilove(m): 7:44pm On Aug 06, 2008
God want to lift u up so, tell the company to prove ur sincerity.

they may employed permanently after ur service.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by AloyEmeka9: 11:45pm On Aug 06, 2008
Return the money before they ask you for it at the end of financial year because they'll definitely know.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Lady2(f): 4:33am On Aug 07, 2008
@Laibankz

Dear please return the money. Honestly this doesn't just happen in Nigeria. It happened at my Univeristy when we were switching to the new ERP system. A lot students received two refund checks from their student account after paying their tuition.

Well it came time for an audit and the problem was found, all students were asked to return the money. It was really sad because some of them saw it as a "blessing from God" especially the senior students and they didn't receive their diplomas until they returned every dime.

I got two checks also and never cashed it. I told them of the problem and tore up the check.

It is not worth it to see it as a "blessing from God" God doesn't send blessings in an immoral or illegal way. He will help you secure a job where you will work for your pay. This may actually be a blessing, but not the way you view it. Your blessing will come from your integrity and honesty in returning that money.

So please return it.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by brume2020: 10:22am On Aug 07, 2008
Duh,

This is a no brainer really. It is irrelevant if anyone is watching or counting or auditing.

Return the money even if it hasnt been or will not be discovered. it simply is not yours. Trust me, you dont need that kind of money.

My two cents,

peace

Brume
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by oluomok(m): 4:01pm On Aug 07, 2008
The lords is good, let me tell the fact, if u decided to take spend the money it will bounce back on you and if you alat them with wisdom they will surly wants to compeciate you by giving you job, co's if u can do that then they can entruth anything in your care. think about this.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by PurestBoy(m): 6:20pm On Aug 07, 2008
buzugee:

all these pseudo righteous smedgetarian vegetarians sicken me to the pit of my stomach. let me get a contract for 10 million dollars and use 3 million to do the contract and keep 7 million for myself and then call one of you to share the 7 million dollars stolen money halfway with me (3.5 million dollars ) let me see how righteous you fugazy negros are wink

True true talk, they are all acting as if they they have not stolen. Even armed-robbers will come here and advise the poor lady to return the money.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by jummiee(f): 10:53pm On Aug 07, 2008
@ Poster,

i'm sure you have made a decision by now, after reading various advise dispensed by Nairalanders,  kindly give us feedback, hopefully you have made the right decision to return the money, it's an unwritten rule in life that there is no secret that wont be eventually revealed, so even if  choose not to say anything and the company does not discover in the short run, believe me, one day, what you did would eventually be discovered,  fast forward to 10 years from now and you are running for a political post, do you know that your opponents would start looking for 'dirt' on you to tarnish your image? imagine the embarrassment when you are labelled a theif for something as "insignificant'' as this, ten years from now.

Pay no heed to those who are encouraging you to keep the money, it only shows their true character, for 'out of the abundance of a man's heart, he speaks' it only goes to show that for such people, money is their weakness.
i think the advise that u should use this incidence to point out the flaws in the company's admin/payment system is an excellent one. Enough said.

All the best
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Danielm2(m): 1:14pm On Aug 08, 2008
Are u sayin everybody will b wrong? only a few responders said a different thing so this shd tell that returning the resources is the best choice as it may help u in one way or the other. B careful.Gud luck
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by eudio(f): 2:56pm On Aug 08, 2008
HI,

PLEASE TELL THEM, BECAUSE THEY WILL GET TO KNOW SOONER OR LATER.

HONESTY PAYS
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by skillmyman(m): 5:52pm On Aug 08, 2008
hi BANKS,

i actually know someone that was sacked for the same reason in the organization i work for and for u, it might work against u if they ever wan to consider u for employment.

BEST THING IS TO BLOW UR TOP AND KEEP UR INTEGRITY.

nO AMOUNT OF MONEY WEY NO DEY FINISH O.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by BlackMamba(m): 12:29am On Aug 09, 2008
@poster

Heloooooooooooo

Have you returned the money as you should or held on to it? Totally your choice. Not that it really matters to me what you do. I just want to keep the story/tale going if I can. Be a good sport, keep us updated, even if you've not decided yet. After all, you started the conversation. It's just an interesting mix of professionalism and morality struggling for a soul in a very corrupt society. Or just a naive mind scared of getting caught in a financial fraud?
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by nossycheek(f): 11:43am On Aug 11, 2008
If they credited your account 2wice, where did the debit go to? If ur story is true, then somebody's salary wasn't paid.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by Sojouvial: 10:27pm On Aug 12, 2008
i wil advice that the best thing to do is to raise an alarm nd definitely u will benefit 4rm it cos dat is increasing ur trust.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by babaCT(m): 11:40pm On Aug 12, 2008
corper,wud advise u to return d owo.even if u don"get applauded,u II be sure some one wil not use it against u when u enta politics.besides u fit use am campaign later later.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by walexm(m): 1:24pm On Aug 13, 2008
just thank God for your prompt alert in the house,
God blessing dont come that way when is your time you will surely be bless.
Re: My Salary Account Was Credited Twice by BTT(m): 11:28am On Aug 18, 2008
REPORT yourself!

If it is my org. you have failed my first test. . .

You will have urself to praise for it.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

5 Ways To Combine Work And Studying Masters / 6 Business & Career Growth Secrets I Learnt From Jonah & The Fish / Meet Nigeria's Most Educated Person: 3phd, 6 Masters & Counting

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.