Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,900 members, 7,835,001 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 12:28 AM

Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles (18181 Views)

How Nigerian Government Imposed "Illegal" Electricity Tariff On Nigerians / Importers Urge FG To Make Onitsha Port Cargo Destination / Reps Urge CBN To Return Bailout Money To Treasury (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Nobody: 9:19pm On Dec 27, 2013
the ripple effects of such policy will be felt across all sectors of the economy
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by lee007(m): 9:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
Thank God somebody if finally speaking out. This decision by the Federal Government to increase tariffs on imported vehicles is just satanic!

First, this will immediately destroy the business of thousands of people who make a living importing, clearing and selling these cars. The current car sales industry in Nigeria is not a creation of government but based on the ingenuity of many Nigeria and home and abroad who have found unique ways to make a living legally, so why take that away without even measuring impact.

This proposal is causing a lot o concern already in Canada, US and Germany where most of this 'Tokunbo' cars come from.

Secondly, how many government officials and politicians will use the useless Chinese cars currently assembled in Nigeria? let them lead the way and we will follow.

Lastly how many Nigerians can afford to buy brand new cars, even in developed countries like the US and Canada most people still buy used cars, so what create an artificial market where there is no demand?

The decision by the government championed by the minister of Finance only shows how shallow our leaders think and how trivial they look at serious matters that affect the people......In 2015 WE MUST SENT THIS JOKERS OUTTA TOWN!!!

3 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by seguno2: 9:58pm On Dec 27, 2013
I imagine many of the commentators here also complaining of youth unemployment. Local manufacturing will create multiple benefits down the supply chain. Why can't we look beyond our short term interests. If
If China and South Korea did not do what we are doing now decades ago they will still be nowhere industrially today.
We should understand the meaning of SACRIFICE today for a better tomorrow.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Rita30: 10:03pm On Dec 27, 2013
Why is this government always on policies that send Nigerians to their early graves? Gej what have we done wrong to you!
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by koboko69: 10:05pm On Dec 27, 2013
rudedough: Nigeria is finished if they scrub this policy. How can we scrub a policy as good as this when we have unemployed graduates everywhere in Nigeria.

How can we be importing finished goods while exporting jobs we lack here?

Mehn i don't even know what Nigerians want. It's heart breaking to see people supporting the Rep here.

Im sure your doctor warned u not to skip your pills

3 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by ikenga67: 10:23pm On Dec 27, 2013
Ok, let me get this straight...the custodians of the people's sovereignty are "urging"(read: beginning) a claque of unelected officials and bureacrats not to move forward with a policy that is bound to have a massive dislocative effect on both the economy and the society? And we still pretend that we are a democracy?
Just SMH!!!
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by slymansun: 10:33pm On Dec 27, 2013
my problem is with the timing which does not make sense at all. I think the idea is to just to increase tarrif, this ' local production' adjunct is meant to sweeten and make it acceptable. A sincere policy will involve starting local production first and when the vehicles are available, tarrif can be increased to make people go for cheaper locally made cars. Doing it the other way round smirks of 'demonism'

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by anonimi: 10:38pm On Dec 27, 2013
ifeanyi83: This indeed is a welcome development. It's a fantastic idea to have automobile assembly plants in Nigeria, but it has to be up and running before implementing these policies on importation of used vehicles (by the way...do we have the necessary infrastructure in place?...).. FG please fo the needful....

On what basis will private investors set up the industries if there is no conducive environment to protect their investments
Any farmer who waits for the IDEAL weather conditions BEFORE planting will be left out with nothing to harvest in due course.
Do you give birth to a baby all GROWN UP
Is that not what you are asking for here?

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by watchindelta(m): 10:41pm On Dec 27, 2013
only sacrifice we d masses dy sacrifice? the government no dy sacrifice? Al d whole money wey dem dn loot make dy use am take sacrifice 4 us No be sin na. Waiti self.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by andyanders: 10:46pm On Dec 27, 2013
I think Okonjo Iwuala got this wrong at this point by having to move to increase the price of these imported cars. Because these officials dont buy their cars with their money, they think they can just wake up and do what thy want.

Let them stop that until these companies have rolled out their cars and they have started competing with what is available, then we can start discussing on how to protect the companies.

Look at PHCN, what have we achieved now, no light.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by watchindelta(m): 10:46pm On Dec 27, 2013
slyman-sun:
my problem is with the timing which does not make sense at all. I think the idea is to just to increase tarrif, this ' local production' adjunct is meant to sweeten and make it acceptable. A sincere policy will involve starting local production first and when the vehicles are available, tarrif can be increased to make people go for cheaper locally made cars. Doing it the other way round smirks of 'demonism'
bro u dn yarn evrytin jor. U make sense die. Tell dem jor
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by JuniorSali: 12:56am On Dec 28, 2013
Dear Madam Ngoo, the finished goods(car) from the car assembling plants in the country cannot satisfy the wants(cars) of its citizens. Pdp and their wrong timin. still no light. PDP! Ndi Illuminati. no time jare`.
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Nobody: 1:13am On Dec 28, 2013
koboko69:

Im sure your doctor warned u not to skip your pills

[b]On the contrary, it is you who have been getting high on cheap drugs.

You can't understand that importing cars into the country will kill our own Auto mobile industry that has just began springing up and needs all the support they can get from the Govt to grow.

You cannot understand that importing finished cars from America means, the American Auto Mobile Industry gets to produce more cars to meet their demand, and to meet their demands, they have to employ more workers. (That is we are importing finished goods but exporting our jobs)

You don't understand that over 2000 materials are used to produce cars (Textiles, wires, carbon, paper, leather etc). Importing cars from America means you are only enriching their Textiles, wires, carbon, paper, leather industries too. Products that we have here in Nigeria that would have had a ripple effect on the economy.

You don't know that the ban will force Toyota, Honda etc that have a market in Nigeria and know what they're going to loose if the ban is in effect to open their assembling parts here.

You don't know that opening an assembling port here doesn't mean that they would import everything and just assemble here but they will import the major engines and stuff but patronize our textiles and wires and other minor products here.

I can go on and on and on... But i will love you to look at yourself now and tell me you're not high when you wrote that nonsense. Tomorrow you will be the one shouting "NO JOB FOR NIGERIA" ewu gambia.
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by niyitogun(m): 3:19am On Dec 28, 2013
lomomike: Seasons greetings,

Please this isn't a politics section thread/topic, this is a car talk thread please DON'T insult anybody, tribe, religion or party, DON'T politicize this thread, DON'T tribalize this thread, and DON'T derail this thread. Please stick to the rules of cartalk section.
Thanks for complying,

Same to you Sir. Hope you had a great Xmas. I have always wanted to know who the moderators here on nairaland are, so i guess i can relay subsequent concerns on the site to you. Happy 2014.
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by COOLDUN: 3:23am On Dec 28, 2013
rudedough:

You can't understand that importing cars into the country will kill our own Auto mobile industry that has just began springing up and needs all the support they can get from the Govt to grow.

You cannot understand that importing finished cars from America means, the American Auto Mobile Industry gets to produce more cars to meet their demand, and to meet their demands, they have to employ more workers. (That is we are importing finished goods but exporting our jobs)

You don't understand that over 2000 materials are used to produce cars (Textiles, wires, carbon, paper, leather etc). Importing cars from America means you are only enriching their Textiles, wires, carbon, paper, leather industries too. Products that we have here in Nigeria that would have had a ripple effect on the economy.

You don't know that the ban will force Toyota, Honda etc that have a market in Nigeria and know what they're going to loose if the ban is in effect to open their assembling parts here.

You don't know that opening an assembling port here doesn't mean that they would import everything and just assemble here but they will import the major engines and stuff but patronize our textiles and wires and other minor products here.

I can go on and on and on... But i will love you to look at yourself now and tell me you're not high when you wrote that nonsense. Tomorrow you will be the one shouting "NO JOB FOR NIGERIA" ewu gambia.
[/b]

My friend spare us this too know economical sermon, how can you throw away your old cloths without having a tailor that will sew new ones for you? No matter how you polish your logic, there is no time the newly built car manufacturing companies would tackle the unemployment predicaments of Nigeria over night.

There are many minor companies we need to stand on our feet first before these giant ones, which we have not done anything about them, not to talk about car manufacturing. I know you are one of those people who always accuse Nigerians of impatience whenever we complain of what we supposed to have since our independence. But now you are preaching for patience for a project that would go like other ones in the past.

By the way how many of these your car manufacturing companies have even secured a plot of land, as their company sites? Talk less of construction of the car companies plants. I don’t how old you are, I would have asked you how many of these honey coated tongued developmental projects that has ever worked out since you heard about them.

No, one is against the competition of the cars with the western world, but let it be done gradually; Nigerians are sick and tired of fake economical jargons. The most basic live amenities which many poor countries have are still lacking in Nigeria, but all we are after is elephant projects that never work out. Our rulers, families, friends and cronies still jet out of the country for minor head ace treatments, while our hospitals and doctors are turned to a mere consultation houses and death traps. When would the government ban the oversea treatments for the rulers? Are we not up to having standard hospitals which would compete with the western countries?

Nigeria, president was flown to Saudi Arabia for medical treatment, while the Saudi King who was also sick then was flown to the United States of America for treatment also, is it not shameful? Everyday new presidential jet is added to the fleet of un economical importance presidential jets, why can’t Nigeria ban the importation of the private jets also and bring the manufacturing companies to build their plants in Nigeria?

Common petrol we use in Nigeria is imported, while we have four good for nothing refineries, are we not supposed to be exporting refined petrol which is easier than manufactured cars?

My friend, let us stand up first before we think of running, someone rightly said that the word patience in Nigeria is only meant for the masses and not the rulers that supposed to show/live by example.

I have seen your level of patriotism, but let me tell you; the policy is and will not be what you are made to believe by these politicians who speak with both sides of their mouths. Stop defending what you will, one day regret wasting your time and energy for. We have heard enough of these unrealistic economical trashes. Unless you are one of them.

The much talked privatization policy only favored few cabals in Nigeria. I don’t support arguing with insults, but don’t also buy fake/false economical logics. Thank you.

14 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Nobody: 3:37am On Dec 28, 2013
COOLDUN:

My friend spare us this too know economical sermon, how can you throw away your old cloths without having a tailor that will sew new ones for you? No matter how you polish your logic, there is no time the newly built car manufacturing companies would tackle the unemployment predicaments of Nigeria over night.

There are many minor companies we need to stand on our feet first before these giant ones, which we have not done anything about them, not to talk about car manufacturing. I know you are one of those people who always accuse Nigerians of impatience whenever we complain of what we supposed to have since our independence. But now you are preaching for patience for a project that would go like other ones in the past.

By the way how many of these your car manufacturing companies have even secured a plot of land, as their company sites? Talk less of construction of the car companies plants. I don’t how old you are, I would have asked you how many of these honey coated tongued developmental projects that has ever worked out since you heard about them.

No, one is against the competition of the cars with the western world, but let it be done gradually; Nigerians are sick and tired of fake economical jargons. The most basic live amenities which many poor countries have are still lacking in Nigeria, but all we are after is elephant projects that never work out. Our rulers, families, friends and cronies still jet out of the country for minor head ace treatments, while our hospitals and doctors are turned to a mere consultation houses and death traps. When would the government ban the oversea treatments for the rulers? Are we not up to having standard hospitals which would compete with the western countries?

Nigeria, president was flown to Saudi Arabia for medical treatment, while the Saudi King who was also sick then was flown to the United States of America for treatment also, is it not shameful? Everyday new presidential jet is added to the fleet of un economical importance presidential jets, why can’t Nigeria ban the importation of the private jets also and bring the manufacturing companies to build their plants in Nigeria?

Common petrol we use in Nigeria is imported, while we have four good for nothing refineries, are we not supposed to be exporting refined petrol which is easier than manufactured cars?

My friend, let us stand up first before we think of running, someone rightly said that the word patience in Nigeria is only meant for the masses and not the rulers that supposed to show/live by example.

I have seen your level of patriotism, but let me tell you; the policy is and will not be what you are made to believe by these politicians who speak with both sides of their mouths. Stop defending what you will, one day regret wasting your time and energy for. We have heard enough of these unrealistic economical trashes. Unless you are one of them.

The much talked privatization policy only favored few cabals in Nigeria. I don’t support arguing with insults, but don’t also buy fake/false economical logics. Thank you.

I am not an economist, just an average guy with a head and functioning cerebrum. I have highlighted all your key notes but all what you wrote are just speculations, complains and rants summed up from cheer bitterness, frustration and an unwillingness to struggle. You don't even have an opinion to share, you're just hating on everything.

Go get help bro, you're frustrated.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Americanspecs(m): 6:20am On Dec 28, 2013
I'm with the Reps on this one.
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by anonimi: 7:46am On Dec 28, 2013
How many people remember how the 1st PCs looked so big and very slow compared to the tiny notebooks and laptops wehave today even smartphones sef
If the oyinbos waited by saying that it was not standard before producing what would we have today?
The Chinese are going ahead with their copy & improve system on Techno phones and in the next few years they will be exporting to hapless Africans who are not ready to forego the comforts of today so we can be proud developers, MANUFACTURERS and constantly improving OUR products.
BTW, when we fast are we not foregoing a major NECESSITY- food now in order to have a better future through answered prayers
Why do we think it should be different in the other mundane aspects of our lives as individuals and community?
Do we not sacrifice immediate income by going to university or technical college instead of starting work with our O levels or becoming a bus conductor etc
Why should we continue to accept being looked down upon as a race that is inferior and being the "Missing Link" in Charles Darwin's evolution theory because we contribute NOTHING to our own daily comforts,
I repeat NOTHING!!!
As the Giant of Africa should we not be leading the way in this type of local manufacturing initiative?

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by ceaser: 7:56am On Dec 28, 2013
rudedough: Nigeria is finished if they scrub this policy. How can we scrub a policy as good as this when we have unemployed graduates everywhere in Nigeria.

How can we be importing finished goods while exporting jobs we lack here?

Mehn i don't even know what Nigerians want. It's heart breaking to see people supporting the Rep here.
Yeah, just as "Nigeria will go broke" if fuel subsidy is not fully removed. Partial removal, and 360days down the line, where are the promised refineries? The hastily drafted SURE-P money has but ended in private coffers (500 billion comes to mind), meanwhile the subsidy re-investment hasn't impacted positively on most Nigerians, but the few elite (thieves) as a poster posited earlier.

D'you know how many graduates and non-graduates has gotten preoccupation in auto import business and are making millions, the clearing agents, the port workers, those that help you drive and deliver such cars down to your destination and earn as much as 30k per trip per delivery? Isn't that worthwhile? Nairaland is a good example of a microcosm that gives an insight into what'll happen in the macrocosm should your "advice" be followed. You should know the millions in transaction that occurs in the auto section alone. Implement this policy and all that is gone, yes gone! Thousands will be thrown outta jobs, and the few elites (thieving politicians and their cronies) who can afford the new tariff on car importation business will then take the stage - remember that they'll still give 'emselves impor waivers, a loss to importation revenue. The other category of people will be the dare-devil car smugglers who'll stop paying import on these cars. That means drop in import revenues as well. Meanwhile, Nigerians earning 18k unimplemented minimum wage won't be able to afford the new high prices of used vehicle, while the new cars, hitherto out of reach for 'em still remains so. I bet bicycle and motorcycle will be the new trend further widening the gulf between the rich & the poor (which is the motive behind the policy, and the fuel subsidy removal, in the first place). Don't be suprised if soon after, they bring another policy making motorcycles unaffordable.
Shortly after its implementation in January, visit Nairaland's auto section and see if there won't be a serious drop in traffic and transaction.

Intelligent analysis, rather than call for an abrupt ban, will first solicit improvement in the power and steel sector which'll drive production, while reducing the cost of same. Government agencies and parastatals should be mandated to purchase and use these locally produced vehicles (mind you that as at now, most govt agencies now purchase tokunbo - Mercedes, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, vehicles for use in their fleets, I can show you pictures if you want). Thereafter, and along with motor vehicle standard policies implementation, production capacity can be increased to meet the needs of potential Nigerian buyers. The full ban can then be gradually implemented.

Really, these don't require space science.

3 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by anonimi: 8:04am On Dec 28, 2013
4 Play:

Nigeria has not reached the economic level where its car plants can compete with foreign car plants on price or efficiency. These sort of polices work where there is a genuine prospect that the cossetted Nigerian car manufacturers can make significant inroads in the automobile market abroad via exports from Nigeria. If you simply put up prices where you have no chance of becoming export competitive, you get a captive domestic market that simply pays higher prices whilst the country gets nothing in return by way of higher exports.

You may have missed this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1568337/inside-innoson-motor-manufacturing-plant

Let us not forget that we also had Peugeot Automobile of Nigeria (PAN) assembling cars in Kaduna, Steyr and Leyland in Bauchi & Ibadan respectively doing trucks and tractors before our clueless military DICTATORS and COUPists derailed everything leading to the high unemployment legacy and low industrialisation base that the current administration has to grapple with.
China & India have been growing their local manufacturing base for many decades and are slowly moving into exports using our dear continent Africa as a testing ground, seeing as we are very useless ourselves, shocked before they move on to Latin America and Europe/North America.
Meanwhile we continue giving ourselves EXCUSES to remain perpetually poor while seeking to be voluntary slaves shocked of those societies that made the sacrifices necessary for development and progress.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by valve: 8:20am On Dec 28, 2013
Hon. Dayo Bush Alebiosu speaking against it in the House of Rep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM8bGPrKLXk
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by koboko69: 8:25am On Dec 28, 2013
rudedough:

I am not an economist, just an average guy with a head and functioning cerebrum. I have highlighted all your key notes but all what you wrote are just speculations, complains and rants summed up from cheer bitterness, frustration and an unwillingness to struggle. You don't even have an opinion to share, you're just hating on everything.

Go get help bro, you're frustrated.

Oversabi go kill u. That thing u said functions....is actually mal functioning. U need to takebur pills regularlly and sleep alot. That policy is just to rake in quick money for our selfish government again..just like the subsidy scam. Nobody is against the policy...but other things need more urgent attention....we need reasonable structures on ground b4 such moves...can just innoson mottos meet the demand of Nigerians? let us see necessary things in place 1st before imposing heavy duties on Nigerians.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by chukel(m): 8:30am On Dec 28, 2013
its unfortunate we have a government like dis in power. only interested in inflicting hardship on the people. those in support of them are either foolishly paid to support them or have no brains. some say it will boost economy. i ask how? all d cars imported by individuals collectively put together do not even get anywhere close to 1/5th of the number of cars diz govt nd related parastatal import. yet dy obtain waivers nd skip d same custom duties nd tariff dy want us to pay. even d highly placed govt officials wen importing cars on private basis still get waivers. who is fooling who. some argue it will decrease unemployment rate. i ask how. do they even kn wat mabufacturing is? wia is the power. wia is d infrastructure. wia r d raw materials. diz have to be on ground before any right thinking manufacturer will step in. i think nigeria should be toyotas largest market considering the number of brand new cars govt, banks, universities etc purchase on a yearly basis. naturally dy shud flock here. but dy r not here cos d ground is not fertile for establishment. if dy raise d tariff nd discourage importation by poor masses(cos dy demselves will import by waivers), which car manufacturing company is on ground? is it innoson dat cannot sustain d car demand of anambra state alone? does FG even patronise innoson? my advice: they shud forget the idea of increasing d tariff. they shud put d enabling environment on ground first. den either build new car plants or encourage pple to do so. den ensure dat d vehicles manufactured compete favourably wit standards abroad. dy wud nw subsidize d cost of procurement by nigerians. they wud just see importation of vehicle fizzle out. if an equivalent of 2011 accord can be manufactured and sold at say 1.5m, which nigerian do u tink will import a fairly used dat will cost him close to 3m?

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by koboko69: 8:37am On Dec 28, 2013
anonimi:

You may have missed this thread:

https://www.nairaland.com/1568337/inside-innoson-motor-manufacturing-plant

Let us not forget that we also had Peugeot Automobile of Nigeria (PAN) assembling cars in Kaduna, Steyr and Leyland in Bauchi & Ibadan respectively doing trucks and tractors before our clueless military DICTATORS and COUPists derailed everything leading to the high unemployment legacy and low industrialisation base that the current administration has to grapple with.
China & India have been growing their local manufacturing base for many decades and are slowly moving into exports using our dear continent Africa as a testing ground, seeing as we are very useless ourselves, shocked before they move on to Latin America and Europe/North America.
Meanwhile we continue giving ourselves EXCUSES to remain perpetually poor while seeking to be voluntary slaves shocked of those societies that made the sacrifices necessary for development and progress.

They have a serious government in those countries. Not the public thieves we have here. We are still lanquishing in pain with what the telecoms industry and what dstv is doing to us. Just because we dont have a competent govt. By the way innoson cars is just the only functioning plant in Nigeriam they surely can not meet the demand of Nigerians

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by ogaibe1(m): 8:55am On Dec 28, 2013
I wonder if these policies were even debated and discussed in the house of reps and senate before moving forward. The same law that banned issuance of dollars by western union and other entities. I don't know if these lawmakers know about Globalization definition in this present time.
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by anonimi: 9:04am On Dec 28, 2013
koboko69:

They have a serious government in those countries. Not the public thieves we here. We are still lanquishing in pain with what the telecoms industry and what dstv is doing to us. Just because we dont have a competent govt. By the way innoson cars is just the only functioning plant in Nigeriam they surely can not meet the demand of Nigerians

While you are free to indulge yourself in your own delusion it will be a great injustice for me to allow you confuse our fellow compatriots into the same trap.
These are excerpts from the South Korean experience with mega-conglomerates otherwise known as Chaebols of which Samsung, LG and Hyundai are world renowned brands TODAY:

South Korea's economy was small and predominantly agricultural well into the mid-20th century. However, the policies of President Park Chung Hee spurred rapid industrialization by promoting large businesses, following his seizure of power in 1961. This was called the First Five Year Economic Plan. Government industrial policy set the direction of new investment, and the chaebol were to be guaranteed loans from the banking sector. In this way, the chaebol played a key role in developing new industries, markets, and export production, helping place South Korea as one of the Four Asian Tigers.
Although South Korea's major industrial programs did not begin until the early 1960s (i.e. some 50 years ago), the origins of the country's entrepreneurial elite were found in the political economy of the 1950s. Very few Koreans had owned or managed larger corporations during the Japanese colonial period. After the departure of the Japanese in 1945, (i.e. about 70 years ago and 15 years before Nigeria's independence) some Korean businessmen obtained the assets of some of the Japanese firms, a number of which grew into the chaebol of the 1990s. These companies, as well as certain other firms that were formed in the late 1940s and early 1950s, had close links with Syngman Rhee's First Republic, which lasted from 1948 to 1960. It was alleged that many of these companies received special favors from the government in return for kickbacks and other payments.

When the military took over the government in 1961, military leaders announced that they would eradicate the corruption that had plagued the Rhee administration and eliminate injustice from society. Some leading industrialists were arrested and charged with corruption, but the new government realized that it would need the help of the entrepreneurs if the government's ambitious plans to modernize the economy were to be fulfilled. A compromise was reached, under which many of the accused corporate leaders paid fines shocked to the government. Subsequently, there was increased cooperation between corporate and government leaders in modernizing the economy.[4]

Government-chaebol cooperation was essential to the subsequent economic growth and astounding successes that began in the early 1960s. Driven by the urgent need to turn the economy away from consumer goods and light industries toward heavy, chemical, and import-substitution industries, political leaders and government planners relied on the ideas and cooperation of the chaebol leaders. The government provided the blueprints for industrial expansion; the chaebol realized the plans. However, the chaebol-led industrialization accelerated the monopolistic and oligopolistic concentration of capital and economically profitable activities in the hands of a limited number of conglomerates.
Park used the chaebol as a means towards economic growth. Exports were encouraged, reversing Rhee's policy of reliance on imports. Performance quotas were established.

More from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaebol

Is this not somewhat similar to the laudable initiatives being put in place and vigorously pursued by the democratic administration of Dr. Goodluck Ebele Jonathan, President of the FRN
Hopefully his team will learn from the shortcomings of the Korean experience and make necessary amends.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by rhymz(m): 9:26am On Dec 28, 2013
It is q pity that majority of the people commenting are doing so based on the propaganda that has continually been fed to them by APC and the SW media, the plan to increase tariff on auto importation is very necessary one if we hope to grow our auto industry, the ediot condemning the move at the house of reps has obviously been lobbied with cash gifts and free auto by thesame foreign automakers that have refused to set up their plants but instead choose to conveniently import them from nearby south Africa and their home countries.

How can anyone be saying we are yet to build our local capacity when we have the likes of innoson doing it against all odds, I have personally ridden in his bus in Enugu, some of them are part of the Young shall grow fleet of buses that ply the east-west roads everyday.
If innoson can do it even with all the endless challenges and still be in business, I don't see why the likes of KIA, Honda, Toyota and co can not set up their plants here and compete.

There are already moribund auto companies in this country that can be revived by virtue of this policy, investment can go into them and resuscitate them back, these same companies once built vehicles driven by the high and mighty in this country, why will an intelligent law maker choser for the country to continue to import cars even when there are obvious indications that serious investment and partnership are beginning to ho into that sector.

What about the technological transfer that such will bring to young Nigerians in auto engineering field especially, all these idiots see are the short term benefits. Do you know that more than 70% of the profit from this foreign auto dealers goes back to their home countries, how much do they realy pay Nigerians working there compared to their counterparts there.
Besides, outside of importers how many people are gainfully employed by the auto sector of this country compared to other sector, a handful, the rest is in the informal aspect of the sector.

It is high time Nigerians use their brains and stop letting the goons in APC fill their head with noise making propaganda, there are way more benefits for us if we developed our own auto sector now than wait forever.

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by Smily202(m): 9:43am On Dec 28, 2013
FG..abeg oooh my 4leg is on the way oooh....
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by promizchild: 9:45am On Dec 28, 2013
Kudos 2 our National Assembly. It seems presidency doesn't no what exactly d right policy to build up this nation!
Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by israel007: 9:52am On Dec 28, 2013
COOLDUN:

Really sharp, excellent comparative analysis re: refineries. Nigerians are not totally stupid or as brain damaged as people think. The difference is you're in a position to wake up on the wrong side of the bed, make unfriendly policies and force it down on people.

2 Likes

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by kraftyiyk: 10:22am On Dec 28, 2013
this time last year, there was Nationwide strike, Petroleum subsidy jingles replaced new year and xmas jingles, now we gave up the Nationwide strike when they told us the prizes will go up for a while and finally come down forever, A YEAR LATER,, HOW FAR
The funny thing about Nigerians is that most of them seems to forget in a hurry shocked shocked
in my opinion, nothing is wrong with industrializing Nigeria, but let's start from the scratch, fix the power supply system 1st, tidy good roads, e.t.c, we wont like a case where these car plants will have to generate there own electricity, and as such, multiply the prizes of their goods, like the telecom industries, eventually , the tax will indirectly fall on the common man as the end consumers/consumers,.
and when these cars are produced, bad roads will send them to early scrap markets... grin grin grin grin
in summary, let the president and his acolytes forget about this policy, and face some other important issues, it cant just work for now, we are tired of abandoned projects.
UNLESS MAYBE SOMEONE IS TRYING TO CREATE AVENUE TO RAISE MORE FUNDS FROM INCREASE IN SMUGGLING OF USED CARS, MAYBE FOR GOD KNOWS WHO'S BENEFIT.. grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Reps Urge FG To Suspend New Tariff On Used Vehicles by unmask: 10:59am On Dec 28, 2013
rudedough:

[/b]
And you don't know that once the government makes basic infrastructures basic, they will come..... Like the subsidy, they removed subsidy without a thought for those that had travelled after a lot of people became stranded, they decided to get buses.... Buses I am sure they can't account for today

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Buhari Was Not Aware Rail Line Would Pass Through His Village In Daura – Amaechi / 2019: I Challenge You To Report Me To EFCC – Atiku Tells Buhari, Others / Tinubu May Foist His Erstwhile Commissioners On Sanwo-Olu - Independent.ng

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 137
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.