Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,450 members, 7,861,301 topics. Date: Saturday, 15 June 2024 at 09:16 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU (4361 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU / LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 6:12pm On Dec 27, 2013
smithsammy: @DAMEx33, u havn't answered my questions. One in the last paragraph of my essay and and the other one in my rebuttal.
Bill Gates Question has been answered in my argument. If Gates didn't learn how to study programming, i dont think he will ever become a programmer. And stop limiting education to the four corners of a classroom
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 6:14pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333: with all pleasure Sir, we have Royal Ballet School, Mozart music and dance schools. And we have The JOFFREY Academy of Dance
it's not widely recognized, am sure most Africans are not aware of their existence. Even I was not aware of their existence, Ma....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by smithsammy(m): 6:17pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333: comparing the creativity level? I say we in this era are more creative than in the pre-education era
virtually every technologies we are enjoying today are invented in the pre-educational age. What education only does is to pass the knowledge of this iventions to as many as it can. Education don't bread innovation rather, it teaches already innovated concept. You have no fact to reprove this.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 6:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: it's not widely recognized, am sure most Africans are not aware of their existence. Even I was not aware of their existence, sir....
the fact know they exist does not mean they dont exist. Most Nigerian University offers Music, and forms of art as course. So, i dont think that is am excuse
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by honeydear(f): 6:20pm On Dec 27, 2013
Debaters, you have five minutes more to puncture and take on your opponents arguments
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by smithsammy(m): 6:21pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333: Bill Gates Question has been answered in my argument. If Gates didn't learn how to study programming, i dont think he will ever become a programmer. And stop limiting education to the four corners of a classroom
you havnt dame333. Bill gate quickly opted out when he realised the impending doom of any furtherance in his so called education career. I need an intellectual answers from you damex.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 6:24pm On Dec 27, 2013
smithsammy: virtually every technologies we are enjoying today are invented in the pre-educational age. What education only does is to pass the knowledge of this iventions to as many as it can. Education don't bread innovation rather, it teaches already innovated concept. You have no fact to reprove this.
i went in search of your pre-educational age/era and I found that there was education in ancient egypt 1400BC.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_education
maybe you need to check this yourself
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 6:27pm On Dec 27, 2013
smithsammy: you havnt dame333. Bill gate quickly opted out when he realised the impending doom of any furtherance in his so called education career. I need an intellectual answers from you damex.
Gates opt out because he understands that he has learnt enough to take him through.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 6:27pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333: the fact know they exist does not mean they dont exist. Most Nigerian University offers Music, and forms of art as course. So, i dont think that is am excuse
ma'am, u have been repeating the same word. My point is that average people in the world don't know that there are schools of art,dance etc
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by smithsammy(m): 6:28pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333: i went in search of your pre-educational age/era and I found that there was education in ancient egypt 1400BC.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_education
maybe you need to check this yourself
education=imparting existing knowledge, creativity= creating and innovating knowledge. Any correlation between the two? Absolutely No. That is why a review needs to be made to panacea the banes the educations is causing
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 6:30pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: ma'am, u have been repeating the same word. My point is that average people in the world don't know that there are schools of art,dance etc
more than half of the World's population knows
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by smithsammy(m): 6:31pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333: Gates opt out because he understands that he has learnt enough to take him through.
nope. He opted out bacause he realized that the eduucation system is teaching him out of his creative ability.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 6:32pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333: more than half of the World's population knows
Proof Ma!
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by honeydear(f): 6:33pm On Dec 27, 2013
TIME UP!!! Judges you can now ask debaters questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Jarus(m): 6:33pm On Dec 27, 2013
Good job you've done there, Dejman. But my question: can you risk not sending your kid to school?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 6:34pm On Dec 27, 2013
smithsammy: education=imparting existing knowledge, creativity= creating and innovating knowledge. Any correlation between the two? Absolutely No. That is why a review needs to be made to panacea the banes the educations is causing
same question am still going to ask you. Can you think outside the box without having knowledge of what is in the box?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Jarus(m): 6:38pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: Nairaland Administrator;
Oluwaseun Osewa,
Chief Co-coordinators,
Co-coordinators,
Incorruptible panel of Judges,
Co-debaters,
Ladies and Gentlemen.
Good day, my name is IamDejman representing Lagos state university to support the topic ‘Education kills Creativity’. First of all, I’ll define Education and Creativity. Education, according to the Wikipedia, means a form of learning in which the knowledge, skills, and habits of a group of people are transferred from one generation to the next through teaching, training, or research while, Creativity is a phenomenon whereby something new and valuable is created (such as an idea, a joke, a literary work, a painting or musical composition, a solution, an invention etc.).
It is pertinent to note the followings; Creativity now is as important in education as literacy, and we should treat it with the same status. All kids have tremendous talents -- and we squander them pretty ruthlessly. We are educating people out of their creative capacities. Many highly talented, brilliant, creative people think they’re not — because the thing they were good at school wasn’t valued, or was actually stigmatized. I believe this passionately: that we don't grow into creativity, we grow out of it. Or rather, we get education out of it. Every education system on Earth has the same hierarchy of subjects: at the top are mathematics and languages, then the humanities, and the bottom
are the arts. It's education that’s meant to take us into this future that we can’t grasp. There isn’t an education system on the planet that teaches dance everyday to children the way we teach them mathematics. Why? You don’t think of Shakespeare being a child, do you? Shakespeare being seven? He was seven at some point. He was in somebody’s English class, wasn’t he? How annoying would that be?
However, many people have written about ways to change education, but what well has it done if we are leaving out the voice of the students? Years continue to pass, some students graduate, some fail out, some drop out and nothing really changes. The education system reminds me of a dictator that is unwilling to step down. I'm aware that no education system is perfect, and I believe they are all the same across the world. We memorize, study for the test and forget, only to know 10 years later what an atrocious world we have been constructing. I strongly feel that our methodologies in schools are demolishing creativity. Students have lost their capacity of creation simply because our teaching methods don't stimulate innovation and creativity. Creativity isn't a test to take, a skill to learn, or a program to develop. Creativity is seeing things in new ways, breaking barriers that stood in front of you for some time. Creativity is the art of hearing a song that has never been written or seeing a work of art on empty canvas. Its essence is in its freshness and the ability to make dreams come to life. In the 21st century, the world demands students who can think creatively and critically. As technology develops, we will have robots to do all the basic work for us. However, it is our mission to ensure that the next generation will be full of inventors, musicians, painters, mathematicians who will, in turn, bring humanity to another level.
In Conclusion, The cycle of sitting still, memorizing, testing and getting a job have existed for a long time now and few dared to challenge it. However, those who dared to challenge the status quo like Albert Einstein, the Wright brothers, and Walt Disney have changed the course of history. I understand that memorizing is the fastest way to get good grades, get into a good college, and get a job (which we equate with a good life). We are being educated for the promise of money. As a student I know one thing for sure: I never want to be a product living my life inside a box. I want to cherish my brilliant mind. I want to imagine, to create, to be the best I can possibly be. I never want to be a robot. I want to argue, to challenge and define the impossible. I cannot possibly let someone assemble my life. How do we expect students to be creative if teachers give them the outline, the title, and the structure of their "creative writing assignment?" They give students model answers to memorize, we give a specific title to write a poem about, and they truly give them everything but the freedom to express their ideas. Youth have fresh ideas. While teachers complain that students are spending an awful lot of time on social networking, they forget to mention that it's the only way we, the students, can have our voice heard. Education isn't about facts being stored in our minds so that we can get tested on them. Education is the beauty to nurture creativity, to fuel curiosity and to create a well-rounded person. With all this, I hope I have convinced you enough that Education kills Creativity. Thanks

REFERENCES
http://www.jesusjazzbuddhism.org/does-education-kill-creativity.html
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/line-dalile/a-dictator-racing-to-nowh_b_1409138.html

Very good job, man. I like your persuasive skills. But, do you think formal schooling/education system should be scrapped or modified? If the latter, how?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 6:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
Jarus: Good job you've done there, Dejman. But my question: can you risk not sending your kid to school?
I hope am not rude with my answer. I'm still single so answering the question seems unprofessional .
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by smithsammy(m): 6:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333: same question am still going to ask you. Can you think outside the box without having knowledge of what is in the box?
yes I can! And mind you, there is a significant diferent between learning and education. Get ur facts right. Education is a system and the system is inhibiting creativity.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Jarus(m): 6:42pm On Dec 27, 2013
Smithsammy, are you a LASU student?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by smithsammy(m): 6:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Jarus:

Smithsammy, are you a LASU student?
I am representing lasu but I am a lagos state polytechnic student.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by honeydear(f): 6:44pm On Dec 27, 2013
Smithsammy and Damex333 puncturing time is over...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Jarus(m): 6:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: I hope am not rude with my answer. I'm still single so answering the question seems unprofessional .
How? Elaborate. You're not rude.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 6:48pm On Dec 27, 2013
Jarus:

Very good job, man. I like your persuasive skills. But, do you think formal schooling/education system should be scrapped or modified? If the latter, how?
Modified!...by creating and raising awareness of schools of art,music,dance, tech etc...recognizing all arms and schools and faculties in universities,colleges, high and elementary school. Most importantly, adding creative skills as criteria to assess students instead of written exams only because we have ignored the creative/practical aspect in educational institutions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 6:54pm On Dec 27, 2013
Jarus:
How? Elaborate. You're not rude.
Let me just answer your question in the best way I can. If I see it deem fit for my child to attend a school of dance since he is a great dancer and he's passionate about it, I will. And if he is a maths genius, I would take him to a formal school. I am not saying that education is bad but that education does not improve creativity
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by DesChyko1(m): 7:01pm On Dec 27, 2013
@SmithSammy.. According to your definition, in summary, Education means acquiring knowledge directly from a source while Creativity means innovation by self.. Since every person must fill his mind from his environment which now is the source, you'll agree with me that education, in fact, is necessary before creativity can even exist?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Jarus(m): 7:03pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: Let me just answer your question in the best way I can. If I see it deem fit for my child to attend a school of dance since he is a great dancer and he's passionate about it, I will. And if he is a maths genius, I would take him to a formal school. I am not saying that education is bad but that education does not improve creativity

Good answer. Thanks
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by honeydear(f): 7:08pm On Dec 27, 2013
Smithsammy you have a question unanswered
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by DesChyko1(m): 7:09pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333.. Your definition says 'Education is the art or process of acquiring or imparting particular knowledge or skill as for a profession.'

Particular must have meant specific, which ultimately means the process(es) must have been handed down over generations/ages. Creativity on the other hand, involves innovation. How can you still convince a person that Education does not hamper Creativity with this definition?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by smithsammy(m): 7:12pm On Dec 27, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
@SmithSammy.. According to your definition, in summary, Education means acquiring knowledge directly from a source while Creativity means innovation by self.. Since every person must fill his mind from his environment which now is the source, you'll agree with me that education, in fact, is necessary before creativity can even exist?
get ur fact right! Creativity is questing for new idea. Never you use eduucaTION for creativity. TION means system and creativity is not system.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Jarus(m): 7:13pm On Dec 27, 2013
Good job everyone. I have sent my results to the coordinators.

My comments:

DEJMAN - Good job, your use of English is excellent. It took my tight reading to spot just one grammatical error. Good job. You also tried in the question and answer session. But next time, you may consider spacing your post into paragraphs to make it more easily readable.

SMITHMAN - Nice try. But you have a lot to do in command of English. You however do a fairly good job in the questions and answers session

DAMMEX - You also need to work on your use of English. You however score passmark in examples and case refences.

Over all, I must admit I'm not so impressed. Nigerian students still have a long way to go.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Was This Pic Taken / 10 Surprising Facts About Coca-cola You Might Not Know / ASUU Strike: ASUU Concludes

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.