Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,308 members, 7,836,347 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:49 AM

Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU (4347 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate: Effective Change Nigeria Truly Needs. Winner: LASU / LASU Vs IBADAN POLY : Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: IBADAN POLY / UNILORIN--FUNAAB: Nairaland Interschool Debate: WINNER: FUNAAB (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by DesChyko1(m): 7:13pm On Dec 27, 2013
Please, is Xoxyl a speaker?? If not, please, hide his comment. It would be ignored either ways
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by honeydear(f): 7:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
Please, is Xoxyl a speaker?? If not, please, hide his comment. It would be ignored either ways
he's not a speaker sir....we'll do that right away
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Ajibam: 7:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
when is audience time??
why collating results without giving audience chance to question them.. the time stated was 7pm...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 7:18pm On Dec 27, 2013
Jarus: Good job everyone. I have sent my results to the coordinators.

My comments:

DEJMAN - Good job, your use of English is excellent. It took my tight reading to spot just one grammatical error. Good job. You also tried in the question and answer session. But next time, you may consider spacing your post into paragraphs to make it more easily readable.

SMITHMAN - Nice try. But you have a lot to do in command of English. You however do a fairly good job in the questions and answers session

DAMMEX - You also need to work on your use of English. You however score passmark in examples and case refences.

Over all, I must admit I'm not so impressed. Nigerian students still have a long way to go.
Thank Sir
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by DesChyko1(m): 7:19pm On Dec 27, 2013
smithsammy: get ur fact right! Creativity is questing for new idea. Never you use eduucaTION for creativity. TION means system and creativity is not system.

Thank you. I'll have to assume this is the answer to my question then?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 7:20pm On Dec 27, 2013
♥Dεs•Chγκσ♥:
Damex333.. Your definition says 'Education is the art or process of acquiring or imparting particular knowledge or skill as for a profession.'

Particular must have meant specific, which ultimately means the process(es) must have been handed down over generations/ages. Creativity on the other hand, involves innovation. How can you still convince a person that Education does not hamper Creativity with this definition?
by saying particular I meant a particular skill for a particular person. We can never be the same, your profession, talents, and ability defers from mine. From the definition, you can see that it is acquiring a particular knowledge/ skill as for a(each) profession. As a person aspiring to build a plan or becoming a engineer, you can't go acquire knowledge about becoming a doctor. So Education makes enhance and improves creativity by narrowing you studies to your dreams and talents
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by smithsammy(m): 7:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
thank for the advice sir. i would surely work on that.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by honeydear(f): 7:22pm On Dec 27, 2013
Ajibam: when is audience time??
why collating results without giving audience chance to question them.. the time stated was 7pm...

be patient please
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 27, 2013
Thanks Jarus. I appreciate
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by honeydear(f): 7:24pm On Dec 27, 2013
No more questions from judges......Our audience you can now ask the debaters questions. Thank you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Ajibam: 7:24pm On Dec 27, 2013
Questions for LASU(supporting side) :

1.creativity rests within the person. School doesn't make up all of a child's day, so whether they want to expand, their creativity is solely up to them. In most schools, art Is a mandatory class. So,don't you think to blame the schools for a lack of creativity is more of a way to push of the responsibility of generations of people who weren't interested in helping themselves and they're children become more creative??

2.education advances things and open our eyes to many things we are ignorant of..
education always increase the level of creativity in students..
a boy that has creativity and he goes to higher institution to study creative art, will the education kill the creativity in him or build on it?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Xoxyl(m): 7:29pm On Dec 27, 2013
-If creativity is the act of turning new imaginative ideas into reality, how possible will education kill creativity?

-If you have ideas but you don't act on them, you are imaginative but not creative. So you cannot get new ideas without education. This proves that education killsimproves creativity

-Creativity starts at home, education also starts at home. Education polishes the ideas in mind to become creative.

-We are educating people out of their creativity capacities.

In support of Damex33(UP FUNAAB)

So why are you in LASU if education kills creativity?

3 Likes

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by honeydear(f): 7:32pm On Dec 27, 2013
Debaters please respond to the questions
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 7:35pm On Dec 27, 2013
first of all, I have never seen a school that makes art mandatory and really have enforced it to the brim. Secondly, even if there is a school that does so, that's not the best way to bring out creativity in student because hatred will be what the student have for art...Answer to your second question is Yes, it may kill the creativity because a school that only gives out handouts,notes and texts without the practical aspect balance with the fore-said can kill creativity out of the best of the creative minds
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 7:40pm On Dec 27, 2013
Xoxyl: -If creativity is the act of turning new imaginative ideas into reality, how possible will education kill creativity?

-If you have ideas but you don't act on them, you are imaginative but not creative. So you cannot get new ideas without education. This proves that education killsimproves creativity

-Creativity starts at home, education also starts at home. Education polishes the ideas in mind to become creative.

-We are educating people out of their creativity capacities.

In support of Damex33(UP FUNAAB)

So why are you in LASU if education kills creativity?
Hope I don't sound rude/abusive but your ignorance of the truth has blinded you in a way!.I believe you are or were a student, being a student and in your school, how many times have they taught you the practical aspect of your course.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 7:43pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: first of all, I have never seen a school that makes art mandatory and really have enforced it to the brim. Secondly, even if there is a school that does so, that's not the best way to bring out creativity in student because hatred will be what the student have for art...Answer to your second question is Yes, it may kill the creativity because a school that only gives out handouts,notes and texts without the practical aspect balance with the fore-said can kill creativity out of the best of the creative minds
why should a school enforce a course on the student? The school line up courses you can choose from and you ended up choosing a course that doesn't suit you, is that the fault of the school? Creative people are known for doing thing differently, they are known for not following the crowd. So if you follow the crowd to choose what you can't benefit from, its no fault of the school but yours. And to the second bolded part, have you heard of I.T. In our university? If yes, what do they entails?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Ajibam: 7:45pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: first of all, I have never seen a school that makes art mandatory and really have enforced it to the brim. Secondly, even if there is a school that does so, that's not the best way to bring out creativity in student because hatred will be what the student have for art...Answer to your second question is Yes, [b]it may kill the creativity because a school that only gives out handouts,notes and texts without the practical aspect[b] balance with the fore-said can kill creativity out of the best of the creative minds

you can't judge on the few schools you know..
on a global evaluation, schools in this century have grown to be more practical than theoretical stands..

now, in secondary school, we know that art department is different from science, it is mainly separated to bring out the creativity in them, if not they would have joined them together...
and a creative student will go to art department by his own will because he want to grow his creativeness.. if he chooses science then it will kill his creativity.. now how would you blame education on this.. The main culprit is the student... he can choose for himself since, it is not impose on him forcefully
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Ajibam: 7:50pm On Dec 27, 2013
now, going to the higher institution..
the student will decide to build on his creativity by choosing a course that will groom him up. if he chooses otherwise, who is to blame for the death of his creativity... he is the murderer..
so, you can't blame it on education... education can't kill your creativity, your decision and determination only have the right to kill it..

EDUCATION IS NOT A KILLER BUT A PROMOTER..

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Gboyee4fun(m): 7:51pm On Dec 27, 2013
Education helps creativity, education is d backbone of a solid reliable creativity, if u neglect education in d course of creativity, u wil b a quack creator. Even a smart educationist can hijack ur creativity and make it is own.
So in my own view, education does not kill creativity, instead it enhances and set creativity on d road of perfection.
All creativities need education example is d manual dat follows any product u buy.
In support of Damm33...funaab

1 Like

Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by mic488: 7:52pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: Hope I don't sound rude/abusive but your ignorance of the truth has blinded you in a way!.I believe you are or were a student, being a student and in your school, how many times have they taught you the practical aspect of your course.
Answer the questions above, dont answer question with question.
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 7:52pm On Dec 27, 2013
Damex333: why should a school enforce a course on the student? The school line up courses you can choose from and you ended up choosing a course that doesn't suit you, is that the fault of the school? Creative people are known for doing thing differently, they are known for not following the crowd. So if you follow the crowd to choose what you can't benefit from, its no fault of the school but yours. And to the second bolded part, have you heard of I.T. In our university? If yes, what do they entails?
Ma'am,the first bolded word was in response to an audience asked question....the second, I.T is not efficient the way it is suppose to be.I wish I could explain further but am occupied at the moment
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Ajibam: 7:54pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: Hope I don't sound rude/abusive but your ignorance of the truth has blinded you in a way!.I believe you are or were a student, being a student and in your school, how many times have they taught you the practical aspect of your course.
in funaab, which i come from..
the answer us YES..
you can't conclude on a topic cause of menace experiences..
E. G
cause LASU DON'T USE PRACTICAL MEANS TO TEACH STUDENTS DOESN'T MEAN FUNAAB DOES NOT..

do a ground breaking investigation first..
And judge on global stand not local ones..
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Ajibam: 7:55pm On Dec 27, 2013
mic488: Answer the questions above, dont answer question with question.
the judges should take note of this...
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 7:56pm On Dec 27, 2013
I really want to reply all comments but I have been participating in church all this while and currently I am very much occupied.Sorry, but I'm kinda busy
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Xoxyl(m): 7:58pm On Dec 27, 2013
The protocol observed, debators, ladies and gentlemen.

Firstly, education in its general sense is a form of learning in which the knowledge , skills, and habits of a group of people are transferred
from one generation to the
next through teaching,
training, or research.
Education frequently takes
place under the guidance of others, but may also be autodidactic.[1] Any experience that has a formative effect on the
way one thinks, feels, or
acts may be considered
educational. Education is
commonly divided into
stages such as preschool, primary school , secondary school and then college, university or apprenticeship. A right to education has been recognized by some
governments. At the global
level, Article 13 of the United Nations' 1966 International Covenant on
Economic, Social and
Cultural Rights recognises the right of everyone to an education.[2] Although education is compulsory in most places up to a certain
age, attendance at school often isn't, and a minority
of parents choose home- schooling, e-learning or similar for their children.

Creativity is the act of turning
new and imaginative ideas
into reality. Creativity
involves two processes:
thinking, then producing.
Innovation is the production or implementation of an idea.
If you have ideas, but don’t
act on them, you are
imaginative but not creative.

Relationship between education and creativity
Creativity has become one of
those "buzz" words that
everyone gives lip services to.
Put the world "creativity"
into the title of a book and it
will be best seller. People ask: How can creativity be
fostered? Is it possible to give
exercises for creativity? A
program? A system of
education? Is creativity
something that can be trained or taught? You can certainly train people
to carry out tasks in a better
way, acquire new techniques
and skills, and to accumulate
new knowledge. But the
whole essence of creativity lies in its freshness, its
freedom, its newness.
Creativity is often unexpected
and exciting. It involves
seeing things in new ways
and breaking rules. Creativity may result in something
radically different--e.g.
Picasso/ Stravinsky, or it may
involve the unfolding of an
old, established form with a
total freshness-e.g. Bach and the fugue. I would argue that there can
be no program, no system of
training or education for
creativity--whatever
boundary we draw around it,
something else that is totally creative will emerge in a
different place. Creativity is
not a skill, it is not a sort of
muscle of the brain, or a
technology of the mind.
Creativity makes use of knowledge and skill but that
is not where its roots lie. I have always felt that
creativity is perfectly natural.
We should not ask how to be
creative, rather we must
question why we are not
being creative! Creativity is the essence of life, of
evolution, of consciousness, of
nature and of matter. The
universe itself is in a constant
act of creation so, as its
children, we should ask ourselves--Why, in such a
creative universe, do societies
and some individuals at times
appear to be stupid, dull,
destructive and uncreative?--
Or are we deceived? Are people really dull--or is their
creativity simply being
shown in other ways? Are
we all, in fact, creative--and is
it just that there are certain
blocks which seem to frustrate us in certain areas of
our lives? Do we all have the
potential for creativity no
matter how old we are?
Reference: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by IamDejman(m): 7:59pm On Dec 27, 2013
Ajibam:
in funaab, which i come from..
the answer us YES..
you can't conclude on a topic cause of menace experiences..
E. G
cause LASU DON'T USE PRACTICAL MEANS TO TEACH STUDENTS DOESN'T MEAN FUNAAB DOES NOT..

do a ground breaking investigation first..
And judge on global stand not local ones..
I really wish u knew the basic meaning of equal pratical and theory aspect. I wish to stop on this note as the time for the debate as elapsed
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by honeydear(f): 7:59pm On Dec 27, 2013
ATTENTION PLEASE!!! The results of the debate will be posted tomorrow smiley . Thank you
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: Ma'am,the first bolded word was in response to an audience asked question....the second, I.T is not efficient the way it is suppose to be.I wish I could explain further but am occupied at the moment
how do you mean I.T is not as efficient the way it is suppose to be?
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Ajibam: 8:00pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: Ma'am,the first bolded word was in response to an audience asked question....the second, I.T is not efficient the way it is suppose to be.I wish I could explain further but am occupied at the moment

I. T is a reformed, advanced way of education.. mark Zuckerberg does not build Facebook with his creativity only, he went to research more he quit school to get time to research more and build on his creativity which is education..

take youtube for an example..
some people watch practical teachings on it hence building on their creativity, that's education again...

EDUCATION IS NOT LIMITED TO THE SCHOOL ALONE...

soon, we might not attend school again and be learning from home through I. T(ADVANCED EDUCATION)
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Ajibam: 8:03pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: I really want to reply all comments but I have been participating in church all this while and currently I am very much occupied.Sorry, but I'm kinda busy

judges should take note of this too..

our questions must be answered before any result is posted!!!!

availability is a crucial thing in debate.. you shouldn't have start when you know you would be busy at the end...

WE CAN'T ACCEPT THIS JUDGES
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by Ajibam: 8:06pm On Dec 27, 2013
IamDejman: I really wish u knew the basic meaning of equal pratical and theory aspect. I wish to stop on this note as the time for the debate as elapsed

we suppose to start the audience part by 7pm...
we started by 7:24....

the time hasn't elapsed...

please kindly reply all our questions....
Re: Nairaland Interschool Debate: Winner::LASU by snoopy(m): 8:08pm On Dec 27, 2013
Jarus: Good job everyone. I have sent my results to the coordinators.

Over all, I must admit I'm not so impressed. Nigerian students still have a long way to go.

Ouch!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Mathematician Successfully Proved 0 Divided By 0 Equals 2 / The Neccassary Steps In Gaining Admissions in Nigeria. / MOUAU Students Chat Thread (let's Meet Here Great Umudyks)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.