Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,101 members, 7,821,803 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 06:50 PM

Car Mileage And Engine Performance - Car Talk (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Car Mileage And Engine Performance (18272 Views)

Please Advise: Toyota Car With 151,000 Mileage And Clean Autocheck Score / Odometer Reading Vs. Engine Performance / How Does Engine Oil Affect Motor Engine Performance? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by mustaphagreens(m): 10:42am On Dec 28, 2013
@Lomomike nd co,what's a car mileage?? I've bn trying to figure that out from ur comments so far but still couldn't. Pls help smiley
lomomike:
The picture below shows a speedometer, the Odometer shows 069,244. Meaning that car had run 069,244 miles (assuming that car odometer hasn't been tampered with)

That 069,244 indicates the mileage of that car
Tnx for the explanation, i think with that i can now boast of a good knowledge of it. I'd still need to read more on google about it though. Gracias.
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by bizfirst: 10:52am On Dec 28, 2013
All other things been equal, a car with a higher mileage means it has experienced more wear and tear and is most likely to break down more easily...but that is theoretical. In actual sense, the engineering of the car, manner of use and maintenance will determine how smooth a car will run irrespective of the mileage!
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by ZIMDRILL(m): 10:55am On Dec 28, 2013
there is always a relationship between the two mathemetical like some said the more mileage the more wear and tear and the more the car looses it house power which has to be measured by a machine

all they do it run the car on the machine and see it top speed from average 3 test then compare with house power from when it was new

so there is always a different if the car was not modified

but most people here seem to talk of general driving, the car starts and drives
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by Ivoo(m): 11:03am On Dec 28, 2013
AfricaFace: Engine performance does not always depend on the mileage. I bought a 2001 Lexus from the US 4 years ago, at the mileage of 130, 000. My friends were like.. that's bad ..why didn't i go for one that has lesser mileage. But in all honesty, no mechanic has touched that car in the last 4 years except for servicing which I do every 3 months and the shocks that I changed this year. Sometimes, mileage does not depend on the rate of car usage, the man I bought my car from says he uses it twice a year to travel for holiday with his family within US. Sometimes he makes 25 hours journey in two days. However there are cars with lesser mileage that are used everyday within the city. The later car even with lesser mileage will have more wear and tear and lesser engine performance than my car. So I believe engine performance is mostly dependent on the usage. Some people do not service their car for 6 months and even one year...

Yes I agreed with this point in addition to the "driver driving manner"! You could still find a locomotive with higher mileage but good/excellent engine performance. The reverse is also the case.
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by Nobody: 12:00pm On Dec 28, 2013
mustaphagreens: @Lomomike nd co,what's a car mileage?? I've bn trying to figure that out from ur comments so far but still couldn't. Pls help smiley
The picture below shows a speedometer, the Odometer shows 069,244. Meaning that car had run 069,244 miles (assuming that car odometer hasn't been tampered with)

That 069,244 indicates the mileage of that car

1 Like

Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by Ajoworldsynergy(m): 12:39pm On Dec 28, 2013
yes, the car mileage have a linear relationship with the engine performance..... Though the engine will still perform so far the needed preventive maintenance is carried out as at when due.
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by SweetSoup(m): 12:55pm On Dec 28, 2013
Siena:

For a girl who knows little about cars, you got it spot-on. Diesel engines will outlive the comparable gasoline equivalents, all things being equal.

Lower - revving, and less heat generated.
Would you advice a first time car owner to buy a diesel engine or petrol for use in Nigeria?
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by phuckNL: 1:36pm On Dec 28, 2013
Sweet Soup: Would you advice a first time car owner to buy a diesel engine or petrol for use in Nigeria?

I'm sure you are aware that diesel is not subsidized and there are times when its difficult to get. If you think you can afford it, sure but I think its better to just go for a petrol engine. If you want one as a second car, fine , but not as your only car
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by aliciakeith7: 2:05pm On Dec 28, 2013
Don't really know about cars but let me ask. How do you check the mileage of a car? On the dashboard or where? Editted: Ok i now know where. Dashboard. Thanks to the poster of that picture above. One more question, can the mileage be adjusted?
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by Nobody: 2:36pm On Dec 28, 2013
aliciakeith7: Don't really know about cars but let me ask. How do you check the mileage of a car? On the dashboard or where? Editted: Ok i now know where. Dashboard. Thanks to the poster of that picture above. One more question, can the mileage be adjusted?
Yes mileage can be adjusted...Odometer is a type of counter which measures the mileage a car has travelled. An odometer could be analogue (consisting of sets of wheels which is calibrated to turn as the mileage goes up) or digital.

Its however criminal and deceitful to tamper with odometer (mileage) of a car so I WON'T allow such details to be discussed here.
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by wookezie: 8:48am On Dec 29, 2013
pDude: My ford escape 2006 is at 105,000 miles and it runs smoothly. I do not drive above 70 mph or do any stunt. I just drive it and change the oil regularly and it serves me well.
thanks for this information
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by oyinbogirl(f): 11:00am On Dec 29, 2013
lomomike: The higher the mileage of a car/engine, the higher the wear and tear history of that engine (considering friction, heat over time)

In simple terms, a higher mileage car, has experienced more engine wear and tear thus a significant reduction in torque and horsepower (performance). But that said,

An engine ability to still perform well squarely lies on the drivers driving manners, maintenance culture and materials used as replacement (quality of various fluids, fuels, replacement spare parts).

I used a carina ii 2.0Gli liftback 3 years ago and sold it with a mileage of 480,000 miles on the odoemeter yet, the engine was still very good, while some other cars hardly does 90,000 miles and the engine goes bad. It still boils down the drivers driving manners, maintenance culture and materials used as replacement (quality of various fluids, fuels, replacement spare parts).

yeah very true. Much does depend on the servicing & how its been driven. 6 8 Cylinder seem to do mileage better ive noticed to
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by Nobody: 11:19am On Dec 29, 2013
oyinbogirl:

yeah very true. Much does depend on the servicing & how its been driven. 6 8 Cylinder seem to do mileage better ive noticed to
Hey cuttie, very true, don't tell me you also get yourself in overalls, spanners and wrenches in your hands and pockets and also go under cars thus getting yourself stained with oil and grease... wink
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by BOUNTYDOG(m): 10:30pm On Dec 29, 2013
domack99:
What do you mean by driver driving manner, i agree with maintenance culture and the quality of spare replacement.

Yes driver driving manner,it. Can be likened to user/technical know how,some drivers are careless and handles their cars recklessly while some are careful and would not go beyond a certain speed @ rough roads just his culture .it applies to most machineries,gadgets,and all.I can use my laptop,phone,car for a longer period and still sell as intact like new not minding how long I used it for.I imbibe the culture of learning dos and donts & stick to rules,I.e I try to make sure I read manuals,its a basic skill I discover in computer engineering.most hardware has its best way of installation which if u re too forward to start install without going through its manual u might end up merry go rounding or not able to have the hardware serve its uptimum purpose.
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by oyinbogirl(f): 12:53am On Dec 30, 2013
lomomike:
Hey cuttie, very true, don't tell me you also get yourself in overalls, spanners and wrenches in your hands and pockets and also go under cars thus getting yourself stained with oil and grease... wink

Yea sure I do - I love it... love cars since I can recall. I make sure clean up alright after I think ! lol
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by Nobody: 7:32am On Dec 30, 2013
oyinbogirl:

Yea sure I do - I love it... love cars since I can recall. I make sure clean up alright after I think ! lol
Lol @ "...i think!" smiley Honestly, it gives me joy seeing ladies breaking away from the stereotype mentality that ladies shouldn't be be seen with overalls and oil and grease shouldn't stain their cute chicks and hands.

1 Like

Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by oyinbogirl(f): 9:46am On Dec 30, 2013
lomomike:
Lol @ "...i think!" smiley Honestly, it gives me joy seeing ladies breaking away from the stereotype mentality that ladies shouldn't be be seen with overalls and oil and grease shouldn't stain their cute chicks and hands.

Thanks so much cheesy cheesy yeah, alot didn't belive i would actually do so , so I got my friend to snap me underneath! And at least having some knowledge comes in handy wella! I really care for my car too....and Yeah i do know those types of ladies who fear dirt & grease like they do death...lol . They make me laugh. Ive had engine oil on my hair, we just al have a laugh about it. Guys here appreciate ladies who can do the unexpected, and have respect for you that you are interested. Sounds like you too....smiley Cheers, have a great new year & stay safe
Re: Car Mileage And Engine Performance by Nobody: 10:33am On Dec 30, 2013
Thanks, wish you same smiley

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mercedes Displays New Police Vehicles, Including X-class Truck / Mention Any Car Issues You Are Currently Experiencing And We'll Help You Solve I / Aisha Umar - Female Taxi-driver In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.