Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,881 members, 7,828,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:16 AM

When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. (18859 Views)

Female Suicide Bomber Attacks Military Checkpoint In Borno - Sahara Reporters / Buhari Okays Military Checkpoint In 'frontline States' / Historical Photos Of Biafran Soldiers At A Military Base Near Owerri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by dgreatyen(m): 11:08am On Dec 28, 2013
na der duty,dey dy carry out#sum civillian too dey show der sef*jus try nd b on d safer syde.....
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Sleek05(f): 11:10am On Dec 28, 2013
On my way to Ibadan from lag, I saw a soldiers' van parked and about four of them were seriously slapping and hitting a man who was parked behind them. The man had his wife and kids crying close to him. Wish I had a camera to record d ugly scene. I kept askin myself, wat in d world could an unharmed man with his wife and kids have done 2 deserve such an inhuman treatment. Wat kinda country do we live in? I thought we had transited from d military regime 2d civilian regime... If d man was a minister or commissioner, would some bloody illiterates have treated him d same way? Do we have a judicial system dat treats such cases with utmost integrity. I still haven't found answers to my question especially because it could be my husband's turn tomorrow. Such a lawless country... Really sad!

8 Likes

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by RhAngel: 11:10am On Dec 28, 2013
@ op tnk u very much 4 ds ques, i really need an ans to ds, cus it happened to me once, it ws very embarrassing i had to plead 4 close to an hour b4 he let me go.

unpleasant experience thou.
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Onyenna(m): 11:11am On Dec 28, 2013
Paranoia of the Highest order!!
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by obongtunji: 11:12am On Dec 28, 2013
It has been an offence ever since I know military(soldier) check point....lop
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by MagicBishop: 11:14am On Dec 28, 2013
Onyenna: Paranoia of the Highest order!!

Nigerian Military especially the Army is full of daft clowns in camo!

1 Like

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by bimbor(m): 11:14am On Dec 28, 2013
Okija_juju:

Well said sir..

It's common knowledge that IEDs are mostly remotely detonated by phones. These soldiers are also humans and are afraid for their lives as well. You can't blame them. Just because today she was answering a harmless call, does not mean tomorrow someone else's call might not ba a deadly one.

I have learnt to be polite to these officers at checkpoints. I always advise people to do the same things you have advised in your post. That call wet dey so important can be made a few seconds later after you have crossed the checkpoint. No need antagonizing a man with a gun who is on edge.

Perfectly said!
Never use a mobile phone at any military checkpoint. Doing so u either get the slap of your life or your phone being confiscated, worse still if u run into a trigger-happy man in green uniform, u risk being shot!! U have been warned!!
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by emmysam2: 11:17am On Dec 28, 2013
Hot Potato: Dear Nairalanders,

We've been held up for some minutes now, in a military checkpoint, reason being that a soldier confiscated the phone of a co-passenger cos she was answering a call.
Pls when did it become an offence for someone to answer a call at a military checkpoint?

@ OP, You wouldnt believe the occupational risks and hazards these soildiers face daily in the terrorism prone areas. Imagine yourself as a Soldier at a check point amidst numerous and unknown vehicles carrying unsuspecting occupants with unknown intentions and un-identified devices, and from the least suspected vehicle you are faced with terrorist gun-shots abd explosives!!! Not a palatable experience, i guess.
These soldiers are prone to these situation daily, and they have cause to suspect every electronic device carried by any passenger.
Unfortunately, these are the Perilous times we have found ourselves in this country, we have to adjust to the situations.

2 Likes

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by kendraloops(f): 11:18am On Dec 28, 2013
hmmm, that's how it is in some places. back then in school (north), a friend n I were strolling past a checkpoint n she was talking with someone over the phone. donno y but it infuriated the soldier n he was like ' do I look like ur boyfriend, I say end that call now, ur very stupid'.

na person wey dey alive dey fit talk story so she had to end the call esp as the guy was already corking his gun n coming her way. d tin pain us wella but ow man go do?

I guess its dat their uniform or somethingsha that makes them cray, i donno.
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by CuteDude53(m): 11:18am On Dec 28, 2013
Jakumo: My suggestion is that you disembark and deliver a resounding slap to the cheek of that cheeky soldier, but don't forget to ask him this question first - " Do you know who you are talking to ?"

Let me know how this procedure goes there. Thank you.

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Nobody: 11:19am On Dec 28, 2013
roger them and you will be free
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Handsomeemmy(m): 11:21am On Dec 28, 2013
martha: That's stupid... All these JJC soldiers sef... D work still dey shack them...

It is not stupid ooo, they warned us living in. The north since the beginning of the boko haram uprising, maybe some people are not aware of it .

They don't allow it in the north.
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by bimbor(m): 11:22am On Dec 28, 2013
Sleek05: On my way to Ibadan from lag, I saw a soldiers' van parked and about four of them were seriously slapping and hitting a man who was parked behind them. The man had his wife and kids crying close to him. Wish I had a camera to record d ugly scene.

Thank God u didn't have a camera. Your own treatment could have been worse! grin

1 Like

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by gymmaster(m): 11:24am On Dec 28, 2013
i used to think our military men were heartless until an incident i had way back years ago when i was a student at unilag changed that,i was in a bus going to oshodi,when the bus got to oshodi with the holdup and all that in bolade,i decided to jump out of the bus in holdup,i wasnt looking very well when i jumped,lo and behold i mistakely hit a solider and the force of my junping knocked his beret to the ground,i was mortified!!!!but to my greatest surprise the solider picked up his beret,dusted his uniform and turned to me and said"hey young boy look where you are going next time,it is ok"he actually smiled at me!!!!i was shocked cause i had expected slappings and beating.
Since that incident i have always liked and respected all military men whereever i meet them ,i hold them in high regards and i have never had any problem with them,truth is they are human too

2 Likes

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by MagicBishop: 11:26am On Dec 28, 2013
gymmaster: i used to think our military men were heartless until an incident i had way back years ago when i was a student at unilag changed that,i was in a bus going to oshodi,when the bus got to oshodi with the holdup and all that in bolade,i decided to jump out of the bus in holdup,i wasnt looking very well when i jumped,lo and behold i mistakely hit a solider and the force of my junping knocked his beret to the ground,i was mortified!!!!but to my greatest surprise the solider picked up his beret,dusted his uniform and turned to me and said"hey young boy look where you are going next time,it is ok"he actually smiled at me!!!!i was shocked cause i had expected slappings and beating.
Since that incident i have always liked and respected all military men whereever i meet them ,i hold them in high regards and i have never had any problem with them,truth is they are human too

He changed his mind from kicking your behind when he noticed that you had already shat brix
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by koboko69: 11:26am On Dec 28, 2013

We've been held up for some minutes now, in a military checkpoint, reason being that a soldier confiscated the phone of a co-passenger cos she was answering a call.
Pls when did it become an offence for someone to answer a call at a military checkpoint?

And u still dey browse for phone....smh. Very soon dem go confiscate you sef.

1 Like

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Vykiano(m): 11:30am On Dec 28, 2013
When u enta kaduna ask em

1 Like

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by koboko69: 11:31am On Dec 28, 2013
kendraloops: hmmm, that's how it is in some places. back then in school (north), a friend n I were strolling past a checkpoint n she was talking with someone over the phone. donno y but it infuriated the soldier n he was like ' do I look like ur boyfriend, I say end that call now, ur very stupid'.

na person wey dey alive dey fit talk story so she had to end the call esp as the guy was already corking his gun n coming her way. d tin pain us wella but ow man go do?

I guess its dat their uniform or somethingsha that makes them cray, i donno.

Its really not thier fault you know. They risk thier lives daily for you and i to be safe. Phone calls are actually effective tools in detonating IEDs. With the things those guys have seen over there in the North...everyone is a suspect...including you and your friend. Alot of women have been arrested giving informations to the bad guys or smuggling and keeping weapons for them. You just havr to avoid thier troubles by all means.
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Decryptor(m): 11:34am On Dec 28, 2013
It's the trend in checkpoints. I remember one day when i was in a public transport in Abuja and we met a checkpoint, the guy in the front seat was just chattering like a hummingbird on his phone and the soldier ordered us to park.
He just collected the phone, removed the battery and dropped the phone on the ground and smashed it with the butt of his rifle both front and back till the phone was in bits and pieces and then handed the phone back to the guy and told us to continue our journey. And it was even a BB. The guy nearly cry.
Those soldiers no dey play o
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Nobody: 11:34am On Dec 28, 2013
Handsomeemmy:

It is not stupid ooo, they warned us living in. The north since the beginning of the boko haram uprising, maybe some people are not aware of it .

They don't allow it in the north.
d op didnt state d state he lives in

1 Like

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Sike(m): 11:37am On Dec 28, 2013
If you must know, my phone has been seized by these MOFOs just because i danced pass them with my earphone in my ear. It's no funny at all. Before i knew whatsup, i've spent almost 3hrs prostrating and pleading with them before they gave me my phone back. That shii is real mehn!!
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by SoloAtna(m): 11:38am On Dec 28, 2013
Andyblaze: if u ask me, na who I go ask angry angry
your oga at the top
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Kekule11(m): 11:38am On Dec 28, 2013
it happened to my brother on our way to owo for a wedding,may they are scared.
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by stagger: 11:44am On Dec 28, 2013

As someone with some knowledge of explosives forensics, I can authoritatively tell you that one of the ways that IEDs are detonated is by the use of mobile or cordless phones.

IEDs are of two types: simple and complex. Mobile phone detonated IEDs are classified as a type of complex IEDs, requiring simple modification of the phone to an electrical firing circuit to initiate the explosive charge. Most people do not know that answering a phone initiates a spark mechanism within the device, which is why people are asked not to use mobile phones in filling stations so that the spark mechanism does not ignite any fuel being dispensed.

IEDs detonated with mobile phones caused a lot of casualties in Iraq, and many soldiers have been killed at checkpoints because of this. When approaching a military checkpoint, commonsense dictates that you stop any activity that is likely to arouse suspicion, especially given the already charged state of our armed forces towards civilians. The driver ought to have cautioned the female passenger in question.

Sorry for your ordeal, but soldiers are also taught these things about explosives and so they will act on the side of caution than just let it pass.

4 Likes

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by 2tundeay(m): 11:46am On Dec 28, 2013

Since the emergence of Boko fighters
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by MagicBishop: 11:51am On Dec 28, 2013
stagger:

As someone with some knowledge of explosives forensics, I can authoritatively tell you that one of the ways that IEDs are detonated is by the use of mobile or cordless phones.

IEDs are of two types: simple and complex. Mobile phone detonated IEDs are classified as a type of complex IEDs, requiring simple modification of the phone to an electrical firing circuit to initiate the explosive charge. Most people do not know that answering a phone initiates a spark mechanism within the device, which is why people are asked not to use mobile phones in filling stations so that the spark mechanism does not ignite any fuel being dispensed.

IEDs detonated with mobile phones caused a lot of casualties in Iraq, and many soldiers have been killed at checkpoints because of this. When approaching a military checkpoint, commonsense dictates that you stop any activity that is likely to arouse suspicion, especially given the already charged state of our armed forces towards civilians. The driver ought to have cautioned the female passenger in question.

Sorry for your ordeal, but soldiers are also taught these things about explosives and so they will act on the side of caution than just let it pass.

Heard of Mercury switch IEDs?

The detonating mechanism occurs when the IED is moved which triggers the mercury to flow and connect a circuit switch. This is known as a tilt switch.

The Iraqis used this after cell phones were being jammed by the U.S. forces.

Fun stuff!
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Funjosh(m): 11:53am On Dec 28, 2013
Army, they are the one i love most and fear most so just please comply with whatever they said. But assuming it was those MIB just tell them say it is Inspector General Ajanlekoko that is on the line that he is even greeting them self.
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Originalsly: 11:56am On Dec 28, 2013
Hot Potato:
Why not ask the soldiers? I'm sure you will receive a reply in words or.....
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by Odunharry(m): 11:56am On Dec 28, 2013
@ Op,hope u guys are fine n hpe no wahala dia?i hope dy dnt touch u guys or gv u punishment of life..

Cme update latr make we knw say una dey well..
Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by ZACHIE: 12:00pm On Dec 28, 2013
You would think the girl will die if she didn't answer the phone call.
it is annoying when in time of seriousness some carry on as casually as possible as though they owned the world.
Check points are what they are: they keep you in check.

1 Like

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by DahomeyAmazon(f): 12:02pm On Dec 28, 2013
What happened to putting up a sign that says do not use your phone at check points. Imagine Nigerians giving these fools an excuse to threat them like animals. Is that how other militaries behave?

4 Likes

Re: When Did Using A Phone In A Military Checkpoint Become An Offence. by cbrass(m): 12:02pm On Dec 28, 2013
Are you still there If YEs! Then I will suggest you ask the girl that owns the phone to strip and go demand her phone...there is a chance it may work if her boobs are laudable but if not..op pick race cos y'all gona get FIRED!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Christiane Amanpour Interviews President Buhari At 7PM Tonight / Checkout This Rice Production Factory In Nasarawa As Audu Ogbeh Visits It(pics) / Osun Workers Declare Indefinite Strike

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.