Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor (5306 Views)

Child Adoption In Nigeria. Pls Help. / Is There No Legal Way Of Child Adoption In Nigeria?? / SHOCKING Response To Child Adoption In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by titilaelae(f): 9:33am On Aug 05, 2008
I'm sure we have all at one time or the other (even if only in our minds) advised a childless couple after years of waiting to 'go and adopt a child'. Easy as it is to suggest, I don't think it's that easy to implement, especialy by a Nigerian living in Nigeria. You know what I mean?, This is an environment where you're not just on your own wink

So, after all protocol has been observed and the child is finally brought home, how will the couple tackle the underlilsted challenges:

If they chose to have a newly born (which I personally would prefer), would they tell everyone around them it was adopted or act as if 'madam just born'? grin

If the child has grown a bit before he's adopted, will Madam say 'oh, he's my little nephew and will be staying with us' or simply 'I adopt him' lipsrsealed.

Family members (especially the man's), should they be told the truth? shocked shocked

Church Members (who had been looking forward to hearing their testimonies), how would they be informed?

Neighbours, how many of them will you tell the truth and what will you tell the others?Trust some 'nosy neighbours', they can say a lot of things behind you and conclude you actually stole or bought the child while at the same time appear nice to you! cry

The challenges are numerous, I could only put down some. Please let's thrash this issue by adding the likely challenges you can imagine and let's also profer solution to them.
Bless you.
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by ifyalways(f): 12:44pm On Aug 05, 2008
A woman desperate to have a child wudnt see tru these your points.They are real facts though but u know what,"being labelled barren,cursed and dissed by in-laws" is a condition no woman would ever pray to experience.One thing with human nature,u never can say till u "are there"  undecided
what can we do?i just pray all those abandoned kids in foster homes find love and a some sort of security somewhere. sad
As for the outsiders,who cares really?they remain outside with their opinion.One thing i have noticed in some places tho,is that when a couple is ready for adoption,they change enviroment, that to some extent, controls the gossips and queries .
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by Ilelobola: 8:12pm On Aug 05, 2008
We want to adopt too though we have children already. We plan to move when the adoption comes through (not applied yet though) and only close family would know the child is adopted. No point making the child feel like an outsider because of outsiders' comments
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by Ndipe(m): 1:18am On Aug 06, 2008
Very interesting topic.
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by titilaelae(f): 8:52am On Aug 06, 2008
Yes, change environment is it! At least for immediate neighbours. Not only for the couple but for the child's sake.

What actually made me post this topic was the death of 2 women who lost their lives during childbirth recently. It was their first and they were 43 and 45 respectively. The baby of one survived and the other died with her baby cry cry. The two were not connected in any way, one was a neighbour and the other a distant relation. It then occured to me that if Nigerians can reason like them in the Western world, women wouldn't have to risk their lives having a biological child at all cost when they can adopt. They will be fulfilled and at the same time give the lives of the eartswhile motherless children a meaning.

1 Like

Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by Feministic(f): 1:46am On Aug 08, 2008
I think that in Nigeria, adopting a child is usually seen as "giving up" , but in actuality, I think that you are making a HUGE sacrfice socially,
while giving yourself a even bigger reward emotionally. I always wondered why my distant family found it shocking that I would prefer to adopt more kids than i actually gave birth to. I would never feel like I had to deny that the child was adopted because that fact does not make em any less of a mother. As long as I love, cherish and protect this child as my own, then it is, and knowing that is all that matters to me.
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 10, 2008
Most Nigerians and even Christains are just hypocrytes. You adopt, so what? WHy lie or change environment. God ways are perfect. Cant we uderstand that he made some kids without parents and some parents without kids so they could be a balance, so people could adopt and love those kids?
We will carry Bible around and keep demanding children when God has given us children already. I am fostering a kid and i dont lie about it, i am proud of her, she is the smartest girl in the world. If you want to adopt, do so from your heart and because you love God, and loving someone else especially a child is a way of loving God.
Christains need to wake up, stop the Pastor worshiping, start praying and reading the bible for your self, God will speak real and important things to you.
I work a lot with orphanges and people come there thinking its all about donating food and money, wrong, these kids need attention, love and a listening ear, they are normal kids not some objects to be pitied and be used to satisfy peoples selfish needs.

1 Like

Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by ifyalways(f): 11:35pm On Aug 10, 2008
aisha2:

Most Nigerians and even Christains are just hypocrytes. You adopt, so what? WHy lie or change environment. God ways are perfect. Cant we uderstand that he made some kids without parents and some parents without kids so they could be a balance, so people could adopt and love those kids?
We will carry Bible around and keep demanding children when God has given us children already. I am fostering a kid and i don't lie about it, i am proud of her, she is the smartest girl in the world. If you want to adopt, do so from your heart and because you love God, and loving someone else especially a child is a way of loving God.
Christains need to wake up, stop the Pastor worshiping, start praying and reading the bible for your self, God will speak real and important things to you.
I work a lot with orphanges and people come there thinking its all about donating food and money, wrong, these kids need attention, love and a listening ear, they are normal kids not some objects to be pitied and be used to satisfy peoples selfish needs.
i think you are getting it all mixed up undecided
The issue here is not abt "you" or whoever that adopts a child,its all about "the adopted child".Outsiders,side talks and even mockery from ppl around.Talking abt love,If you TRULY love the child,changing of enviroment wudnt be a big deal to you. . . you are only trying to protect the child from being hurt from outsiders.Nothing hurts like unkind words,remember wink
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by Nobody: 12:01pm On Aug 12, 2008
The child will learn to deal with it, The truth is always better to know and livce with.
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by ifyalways(f): 5:57pm On Aug 12, 2008
aisha2:

The child will learn to deal with it, The truth is always better to know and livce with.
i wish to know how you wud explain such things to a 4/5/6/7 yr old kid.BTW u said u frequent Orphanages?u should know how its done then,couples are almost always adviced to change enviroment wink for the sake of the young lad.
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by mohawkchic(f): 5:57am On Aug 13, 2008
~Am assuming this type of Child Adpotion is done through the courts? undecided I have no personal knowledge of how common Adoption is back home,i need to read up on that or the challenges Couples are met with who actually Adopt undecided I am aware or heard of cases where kids are adopted to be taken out of the country or through Organisations. . .[/b]

[b]~However I Am aware of a common practice back home which i detest,people who are can't afford to look after their child/ren anymore due to certain circumstances willingly give them up to a "well-to-do" family without going through the proper channels of them officailly adopting that child . .they just hand over the child in the hope or assurance that child will get an education,be fed & clothed . . i doubt very much "LOVE" is part of that deal . . . I feel thats so wrong in most cases these kids are taken from the provinces . . .the unfortunate ones often become tagged "Men pekin" meaning a child who isnt yours but you "lookafter""treat like a slave",its almost a derogatory term if you like,In most cases ave heard/seen,these kids are treated more like house help sad Some times if they prove to be a handfull,they can be sent packing ASAP . . without a second thought,that will be after been beaten countless times angry[/b]

~There's that tiny percentage that do end up into loving families were you'd never guess they're adopted/fostered . . as far as am aware,telling the child they're adopted is not a common practice in Africa,infact ever so often its whispers from other family members/nosy neighbours that will make it their bizness & be sure to let-it-be-known that child is adopted & ruin "the perfect family Image"!!

~I think its only right to tell a child they're Adopted when they're old enough to understand what that means!! There's never going to be a right time if you keep putting it off & unfortunately finding out through someone else other than your family can often have devasting results!! An example will be A school friend's brother who comitted suicide when he found out they were both adopted,i remember vividly how that story seemed to stay on People's lips forever . . . till this day when people want to talk about that couple they say "remember the XYZ family whose son comiited suicide . . i don't evn knw the details of how he found out & events that lead up to him taking his own life . .all people were interested in was having found out the fact the couple's children were adopted!!

~People were more comfy having "men pekin" while adoption was considered some biggie!! I do hope that perception has changed

If the child has grown a bit before he's adopted, will Madam say 'oh, he's my little nephew and will be staying with us' or simply 'I adopt him' .

Family members (especially the man's), should they be told the truth?

Church Members (who had been looking forward to hearing their testimonies), how would they be informed?

Neighbours, how many of them will you tell the truth and what will you tell the others?Trust some 'nosy neighbours', they can say a lot of things behind you and conclude you actually stole or bought the child while at the same time appear nice to you!

[b]~I'd like to think all these forseen barriers & challenges is what is stopping most people who can't have kids & have a lot of love to give from adopting . . I wudnt even debate my happiness over satisfying people's curiousity & deprive myself the happiness or realisation of having a child!!Realistically some of the challenges will always be there I think its really up to the couple to be mentally prepared to face them together
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by titilaelae(f): 9:01am On Aug 13, 2008
ifyalways:

A woman desperate to have a child wouldnt see tru these your points.

In the last one week I've made contact with some orphanages and I found out that every registered orphanage has  longer list of intending adopters than available children. In order words, the desire to own a child supercedes destractor's side comments.That's a good one smiley

The process is a bit tasking though (after all it takes 9months to be pregnant with own baby wink) - registration with child welfare ministry and all the stuff. 

One of their clauses I disagree with  is that 'single women are not permitted to adopt'. It's good to want the child to grow within a father-mother family setting, but what about those whose husbands divorced for childlessness? Or a woman who never married but still wants to have a child she can call her own?

aisha2:

Aisha, it's sadly  not as you think! That't why I have the clause 'The Nigerian Factor'
You may chose to do what you believe is right, but by our culture here 'you are not just on your own'.Some 'elders' will want to know why you brought a 'bastard' into their son/brother's home . That's part of  why widows in certain parts of the country are made to shave their hair and go through horrible things as part of tradition, even in this age cry.

I also believe a child should be told when she becomes mature enough to understand.
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by spikedcylinder: 3:34pm On Aug 13, 2008
Ilelobola:

We want to adopt too though we have children already. We plan to move when the adoption comes through (not applied yet though) and only close family would know the child is adopted. No point making the child feel like an outsider because of outsiders' comments

Very aptly put.
Re: Child Adoption - The Nigerian Factor by ifyalways(f): 6:04pm On Aug 13, 2008
titilaelae:

One of their clauses I disagree with is that 'single women are not permitted to adopt'. It's good to want the child to grow within a father-mother family setting, but what about those whose husbands divorced for childlessness? Or a woman who never married but still wants to have a child she can call her own?

Really?have u been to "hearts of Gold hospice" at VI or "Little saints orphanage" Palmgroove,lagos state.?
Am not very sure anymore,its been quite sometime Now but i think they do give up babies to adoption even to singles Though their other criteria ,most ppl dont meet up with.

(1) (Reply)

I Need Financial Help... / Please Help A Brother! / My Husband Offended Me ... Need Opinions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.