Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,520 members, 7,819,868 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:11 AM

Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? (12261 Views)

Celestial Church Wins In Court, Deeper Life Church To Pay Them N5 Million / Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? / Man Asks Church To Return His Tithes Or Face Court Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by mollie12: 5:33pm On Dec 30, 2013
masonkz:

Oh please get real!!

In that case, half (or probably more than half) of the congregation of all churches would be excommunicated!

And I never said what would "Paul" do.

You can't get more real than the very word of God. And if the Bible isn't real enough for you, then it's not fellow Christians you need to be facing, it's Jesus.

Excommunication is brought up in the case of UNREPENTANT christians. Note the emphasis on unrepentant. There is no one that can claim to have conquered sin - the difference now is, do you mistakenly slip and fall into it, or do you enthusiastically and joyfully dive into it? So your logic is not holding here.

Paul wrote portions of the Bible, so why pick and choose? Please can we end all the ad hominem attacks on this Apostle? Its not only unchristian, but it is a demonstration of ignorance. Paul's writings are in harmony with the rest of scripture and by the way, God qualified him to write the Bible - who are we to disqualify him?
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 5:39pm On Dec 30, 2013
Ishsoph:

You are notorious in NL for making comments innuadated with petty insults before passing your points. However, I would not thread that path with you Miss! That said pls answer the following questions if you care to;

1) If you have an unrepentant paedoph.ile as a member of your church and he's been repeatedly caught in the act and has been tried to be helped but he has resisted all the scriptural counsels and suggestions given to him by the church leadership will you be comfortable coming to church with your minors knowing such brother is at lose?

2)If you caught a christain sister sleeping with your hubby(assuming you are married) and you reported to the church and through further investigations they found out that the relationship has been on for a long time(which speaks of unrepentance) will you continue to go to that church if such woman is not disciplined and how would other married women view it, is it not a dangerous precedent?

3) What of someones that has been stealing money from the church coffers and one day he's caught, would such person be allowed to continue to make jest of God's underseved kindness by being left without appropriate discipline?

You called me hollier than thou and claimed that Jesus came for sinners which is true by-d-way, but the sinners are you and I cos all has sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God but that does not mean we should capitalize in our sinful nature and abound in sin(which would make us no different from those of the world whom we preach to) in which case we'll be nailing our Lord Jesus a second time in the stake and lose his grace. What I wrote earlier which you attacked is based on sound scriptural reasoning, not my words.
Note: UNREPENTANCE is the keyword here.

Peace!
calm down,i didnt insult or attack you before making my points,if i did,point out where the insults are and i will apologize,but i am very sure I DIDNT INSULT YOU BEFORE PASSING A POINT.anyway,to the issue if there is an unrepentant paedophile or adulteress in church,it is not in any human beings place to pass judgement by excommunicating the person,it is as if you are taking the place of God to judge a human being on his behalf.

If there is an unrepentant sinner,leave him or her to God,afterall it is in your bible where it was written vegeance is mine says the lord,God knows how to deal with such individuals,so why dont you leave the judgement for God afterall he is the only one that knows how to deal with people abusing his grace.nawa o

your blood too hot o,shooo

hiaannnn
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Landflight4eva(m): 6:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
Goshen360: One thing I know is, today's church is still far from Christ like Christianity. Christ never taught such neither the Apostles. Until we understand Christ-like Christianity, we will continue to promote religion thinking we're doing God a favour. The Christ I know, will never excommunicate any of His followers - that's the Christianity of Christ.
if u read 2 CORITHIANS 5:1-12 then u can say whatever u feel is right
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by landinfo: 6:06pm On Dec 30, 2013
kulyie: calm down,i didnt insult or attack you before making my points,if i did,point out where the insults are and i will apologize,but i am very sure I DIDNT INSULT YOU BEFORE PASSING A POINT.anyway,to the issue if there is an unrepentant paedophile or adulteress in church,it is not in any human beings place to pass judgement by excommunicating the person,it is as if you are taking the place of God to judge a human being on his behalf.

If there is an unrepentant sinner,leave him or her to God,afterall it is in your bible where it was written vegeance is mine says the lord,God knows how to deal with such individuals,so why dont you leave the judgement for God afterall he is the only one that knows how to deal with people abusing his grace.nawa o

your blood too hot o,shooo

hiaannnn
Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait are u sayin dat we shld leave the little leaven so that it will leaven the whole lump? witch kin BIBLE u dey read sef?
No discipline 1 of ur children & den sea how the rest go spoil show 4 u
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by tee4naija(m): 6:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
truthislight:

Nope!

Disfellowshiping helps keep the congregation clean.

Satan was sent out of heaven to keep it clean, so, the congregation has to be kept clean, and the bible supports it and the congregation is to be protected also.

What that is not supproted is your own personal opinion.

Your kind of opinion is why christianity has turned to houses of prostitutes today.

Were you told that it is all kind of people that must enter the kingdom of God ?

Your opinion does not count, but rather what is written in the bible counts, or, do you have biblical evidences for your stance ?

Yes, christ asked for forgiveness, but unrepentant sinners are to be sent out, and that is what the bible teaches.

Peace.
You are talking nonsense.give us one example in the scripture of a situation where Christ excommunicated sbd for misbehaving.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by adeoladrg(m): 6:13pm On Dec 30, 2013
Av u read the part of the Bible where Christ said those pple that don't want him to rule over them should be brought before him and killed in his presence.?.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by cautious: 6:21pm On Dec 30, 2013
Goshen360: One thing I know is, today's church is still far from Christ like Christianity. Christ never taught such neither the Apostles. Until we understand Christ-like Christianity, we will continue to promote religion thinking we're doing God a favour. The Christ I know, will never excommunicate any of His followers - that's the Christianity of Christ.

I agree sir and expressed this view to a close family friend last week. Her own opinion is that the only grounds for excommunication are if the person goes into heresy and refuses correction or unrepentantly pledges allegiance to satanic teachings. Besides these extreme cases, we have no right to send packing anyone Christ has saved.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 6:47pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nairaland=info:

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait wait are u sayin dat we shld leave the little leaven so that it will leaven the whole lump? witch kin BIBLE u dey read sef?
No discipline 1 of ur children & den sea how the rest go spoil show 4 u
excommunicating a person should not be encouraged,however,if it is to be done,it must be in an EXTREME CASE,WHERE THE PERSON HAS DONE SOMETHING AGAINST THE SANCTITY OF GOD AND HUMANS E.G MURDER,RAPE,PAEDOPHILIA ETC and has been preached to severally and he didnt repent.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
mrphysics: to me its not gud, the church shud just allow d person to b in d church, someday, somehow, the Holy Ghost will arrest d person in d church and dat we lead to a total and complete repentance
gbam.thats my point
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
[size=20pt]IF ANY XTIAN IS EXCOMMUNICATED , FEEL FREE TO JOIN THE TEMPLE OF THE GODS!

THERE IS NO ROOM FOR EXCOMMUNICATION IN THE RELIGION OF YOUR ANCESTORS!

AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE BLOOD OF YOUR TRIBE , YOU ARE PERMANENT MEMBER!

IF YOU FAILED TO PAY YOU TITHES, YOU WONT BE EXCOMMUNICATED!

YOU DONT EVEN HAVE TO PAY TITHES!

YOU CAN SPEND YOUR LIFE WORSHIP ING GODS!

NOT DEAD JEWISH MEN! [/size]

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 7:23pm On Dec 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by PastorOluT(m): 7:35pm On Dec 30, 2013
Alwaystrue:

It depends. Some scriptures below show that but there must have been several warnings to desist from such if this is to be taken up:

Matthew 18:15-17
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican

I Corinthians 5:1-2,6
1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you
6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

This is the exact scriptures that came to mind.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by PastorOluT(m): 7:36pm On Dec 30, 2013
Alwaystrue:

It depends. Some scriptures below show that but there must have been several warnings to desist from such if this is to be taken up:

Matthew 18:15-17
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican

I Corinthians 5:1-2,6
1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you
6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:39pm On Dec 30, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

And why stop there... Hand em over to the Devil..

1 Corinthians 5:5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 7:49pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:54pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nonso23:
Do all pagans resort to insults to get their message across
I might not be a pagan but I know very much about the OSU caste system. These people were sacrificed or dedicated to the gods and were viewed as subhumans. They were avoided and more or less treated like lepers.
Tell me what other form of excommunication is worse than this.

No! Do you know that donkeys only understand the language of the stick?

so go figure. .

You dont know shyt! The reason why your accouunt cant be considered is BECAUSE you are not a Pagan. Therefore all you have to say will be considered biased, brainwashed and untrustworthy. Let a Pagan Igbo say so and we shall believe.
I have researched this matter and I personally know that they were treated in very HIGH ESTEEM in Igboland before the advent of missionaries.
In fact people feared them because the Osu had a special connection the Spiritual Forces. To offend the Osu could be very dangerous.
They were viewed as SUPERHUMANS not subhumans.

Do you even know the meaning of excommunication jooor

Excommunicaton is when you throw these people outside the church/temple or place of worship.

These people were put INTO the place of worship. Therefore they were COMMUNICATED!
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by PastorOluT(m): 7:56pm On Dec 30, 2013
Okija_juju:

And why stop there... Hand em over to the Devil..

1 Corinthians 5:5 I have decided to deliver such a one to Satan for the destruction of his flesh, so that his spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

Do u even have an idea what the destruction of the flesh n salvation of the soul/spirit means?

Also pls read 2Corinthians 2:1-11 were he told them to bring him back in love lest satan should take advantage of us?

NB Cant quote all now 'cos I am using my phone.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Dec 30, 2013

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
Pastor Olu T:

Do u even have an idea what the destruction of the flesh n salvation of the soul/spirit means?

Also pls read 2Corinthians 2:1-11 were he told them to bring him back in love lest satan should take advantage of us?

NB Cant quote all now 'cos I am using my phone.

Point is I have seen a Church hand a Pastor and an Usher over to the Devil for fornicating with an Usher. The Pastor and Usher were both single and dating when this happened.. Needless to say that this ended the relationship.

Name of Curch: Logos Ministries
Head Pastor: Yomi Isijola
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nonso23:
Do all pagans resort to insults to get their message across
I might not be a pagan but I know very much about the OSU caste system. These people were sacrificed or dedicated to the gods and were viewed as subhumans. They were avoided and more or less treated like lepers.
Tell me what other form of excommunication is worse than this.

Ndi Osu were never sacrifices to the Gods.. They were like what Monks are to the Catholic Church.

They were never viewed as Subhumans but rather viewed as divine beings..

They were not avoided, but disliked because of their affluence in Igboland.

They were never treated like lepers until lately.. The Catholic Church is responsible for the fall of the Osu.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nonso23:

Mr pagan 9ja you win.

I know. I'm used to it.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:20pm On Dec 30, 2013
^That doesn't prove anything. Those are the laws of today.

Times have changed. Roles have reversed.

How can the prayers from direct associates of the Gods bring misfortune?

This is clearly the doings of the church. The prayer of the Osu would be considered a Pagan prayer and not suitable for so-called "free-born" christians.

Also the Osu were not slaves to anyone. so how can they not be free-born?

Something is wrong here.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 8:32pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by PAGAN9JA(m): 8:38pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nonso23: ^^ you are clearly not an Igbo man so unless you are your contributions will be tainted

These laws and customs have existed from time immemorial . Igbo laws are not like the Nigerian constitution. Aru is Aru in igboland. I have grand parents who are nearly a century old and I have listened to them on traditional issues not to mention that my paternal grandfather( God rest his soul) was a die hard traditionalist . I am not making up anything all I say is as it is.

My contributions will be more valid since im from an outsiders outlook.

Whos talking about Nigerian Constitution? I have just provided you with ample reasons to support my views and here you are talking about some grandfather whos beliefs you have no respect for anyways.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Mynd44: 8:46pm On Dec 30, 2013
Keep on topic please or open a thread for this in the culture section
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 8:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:57pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nonso23:

If at all they were not viewed as subhumans why do we have certain laws in igboland eg. an OSU's prayer for a freeborn is bound to bring misfortunes, an OSU is never to break kola nut in the midst of freeborns. etc etc.
Considering the name difference is enough to tell us all we need to know.
A freeborn is called a 'Nwadiala' - son of the soil
An the other group is called OSU - outcast
Do you know the criteria for converting people to OSU ?? Monks can never be compared to OSU's as they chose their way of life freely and can revert anytime they choose. Osus on the other hand are labelled that by the society and no matter where they go they still bear that mark

There has never been such a thing as Freeborns and slaves in Igboland... This is a very new trend in Ala Igbo..

Everything you know about the Osu caste system was introduced in the 19th Century by the Catholic Church.

The Osu were even more referred than the so-called Freeborns.

Go study History well.. The Eze Mmuo has spoken.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 9:11pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by PAGAN9JA(m): 9:12pm On Dec 30, 2013
Nonso23:

The term OSU - translated means outcast and the term Nwadiala means a freeborn or the son of the soil. In the precolonial era any nwadiala found commiting any of the great atrocities in Igboland was immediately sacrificed or dedicated to the gods as an Osu . That is how it was done. You lose your right to certain entitlements and are required to live close to shrines and serve with the high priests . You cannot dine with a Diala nor intermarry because you are now a subhuman yes a subhuman in the eyes of the freeborn. They were feared because of the many sacrifices they performed and were never associated with. In fact the OSU system was used to punish erring members of the community.

I will use Twitter tags:

#Hogwash #Brainwash #postcolonial #christianInfluence

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Five Worth Knowing Important Facts About Palm Sunday. / Reasons Why You Go To Your Place Of Worship / Why Is The Earth More Technologically Advanced Than Heaven?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.