Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,704 members, 7,809,680 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:58 PM

Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? (12245 Views)

Celestial Church Wins In Court, Deeper Life Church To Pay Them N5 Million / Is It Right For A Church To Have Football Unit? / Man Asks Church To Return His Tithes Or Face Court Action (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by s3nn2x(m): 1:45am On Dec 30, 2013
There was a discussion this evening between I and some people where the issue of excommunication in churches was brought up.

There were divergence of views, some were in support and others were against. The bone of contention was what effect does excommunication have on a person?

Does it work?

Who are we to judge?

Where does 70*7 come in?

I am really curious because someone was excommunicated from my church over 7 years ago because she was dating a married man. Till today, she is still with the man and she is even pregnant at the moment.

Was excommunication the ideal way to correct her?
A lot of people mention the case of Apostle Paul handing over someone to the devil.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Goshen360(m): 3:07am On Dec 30, 2013
One thing I know is, today's church is still far from Christ like Christianity. Christ never taught such neither the Apostles. Until we understand Christ-like Christianity, we will continue to promote religion thinking we're doing God a favour. The Christ I know, will never excommunicate any of His followers - that's the Christianity of Christ.

9 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by fredx4(m): 7:38am On Dec 30, 2013
No

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 10:47am On Dec 30, 2013
What right do you have to excommunicate someone?

Who does the "Church" belong to? The pastor or Jesus? And if the latter, then what would Jesus do?

Excommunicate?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Oyinprince(m): 10:58am On Dec 30, 2013
Goshen360: One thing I know is, today's church is still far from Christ like Christianity. Christ never taught such neither the Apostles. Until we understand Christ-like Christianity, we will continue to promote religion thinking we're doing God a favour. The Christ I know, will never excommunicate any of His followers - that's the Christianity of Christ.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Oyinprince(m): 11:00am On Dec 30, 2013
If u do dat to an erring member, where else does he/she get correction his/her mistakes? where else wuld he kip learnin the truth?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by truthislight: 12:20pm On Dec 30, 2013
Goshen360: One thing I know is, today's church is still far from Christ like Christianity. Christ never taught such neither the Apostles. Until we understand Christ-like Christianity, we will continue to promote religion thinking we're doing God a favour. The Christ I know, will never excommunicate any of His followers - that's the Christianity of Christ.

Nope!

Disfellowshiping helps keep the congregation clean.

Satan was sent out of heaven to keep it clean, so, the congregation has to be kept clean, and the bible supports it and the congregation is to be protected also.

What that is not supproted is your own personal opinion.

Your kind of opinion is why christianity has turned to houses of prostitutes today.

Were you told that it is all kind of people that must enter the kingdom of God ?

Your opinion does not count, but rather what is written in the bible counts, or, do you have biblical evidences for your stance ?

Yes, christ asked for forgiveness, but unrepentant sinners are to be sent out, and that is what the bible teaches.

Peace.

14 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Alwaystrue(f): 12:31pm On Dec 30, 2013
s3nn2x: There was a discussion this evening between I and some people where the issue of excommunication in churches was brought up.
There were divergence of views, some were in support and others were against. The bone of contention was what effect does excommunication have on a person?
Does it work?
Who are we to judge?
Where does 70*7 come in?
I am really curious because someone was excommunicated from my church over 7 years ago because she was dating a married man. Till today, she is still with the man and she is even pregnant at the moment.
Was excommunication the ideal way to correct her?
A lot of people mention the case of Apostle Paul handing over someone to the devil.

It depends. Some scriptures below show that but there must have been several warnings to desist from such if this is to be taken up:

Matthew 18:15-17
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican

I Corinthians 5:1-2,6
1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you
6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

12 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by truthislight: 12:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
This are your vain opinions.

masonkz: What right do you have to excommunicate someone?

Who does the "Church" belong to? The pastor or Jesus? And if the latter, then what would Jesus do?

Excommunicate?

"I wrote unto you in an epistle not to keep company with fornicators: Yet not altogether with the fornicators of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or with idolaters; for then must ye needs go out of the world. But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such a one no, not to eat with him. For what have I to do with judging those outside ? do not ye judge them that are withing ? But them that are outside God judgeth. Therefore put away from among yourselves that wicked person." (1 Corinthians 5:9-13).

4 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by truthislight: 12:39pm On Dec 30, 2013
Oyinprince: If u do dat to an erring member, where else does he/she get correction his/her mistakes? where else wuld he kip learnin the truth?

So, it is God that will bend his standard instead of humans bending ? Smh.

Keep deluding yourself.

Christ openly said he will denie somepeople.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by truthislight: 12:45pm On Dec 30, 2013
Good one bro.

The red below says it all.

There will be effort to help the person first.

If the person is repentant, he will not be sent out, but rather help to stand.

Alwaystrue:

It depends. Some scriptures below show that but there must have been several warnings to desist from such if this is to be taken up:

Matthew 18:15-17
15 Moreover if thy brother shall trespass against thee, go and tell him his fault between thee and him alone: if he shall hear thee, thou hast gained thy brother.
16 But if he will not hear thee, then take with thee one or two more, that in the mouth of two or three witnesses every word may be established.
17 And if he shall neglect to hear them, tell it unto the church: but if he neglect to hear the church, let him be unto thee as an heathen man and a publican

I Corinthians 5:1-2,6
1 It is reported commonly that there is fornication among you, and such fornication as is not so much as named among the Gentiles, that one should have his father's wife.
2 And ye are puffed up, and have not rather mourned, that he that hath done this deed might be taken away from among you
6 Your glorying is not good. Know ye not that a little leaven leaveneth the whole lump?

2 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Alwaystrue(f): 1:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
s3nn2x: The bone of contention was what effect does excommunication have on a person?
It depends on the person if he is willing to change and come back or prefers to enjoy his sin. Excommunication may be like a sledge hammer killing a fly, if the person is repentant. The otherwise is not the case in the vent of repeated warnings.

s3nn2x: Does it work?
Also relative to the person. With the bible quotes so far on this thread, it is obvious that its 'working' depends solely on the individual. He has a choice to change or not.

s3nn2x: Who are we to judge?
It is not a case of judging but a case of putting away 'wicked' people who do not fear God enough to desist from such acts. He can return to the church when he is contrite. The word of God judges him.

s3nn2x: Where does 70*7 come in?
Forgiving someone does not mean necessary consequence actions will not be taken against the person. It will not be of benefit for anyone not to forgive the offender but if the offender is not willing to change, what would you do? Try to personalise this yourself and answer the questions.

s3nn2x: Was excommunication the ideal way to correct her?
Was she warned to stop and she did, yet she was excommunicated?
Possibly you may have better alternatives especially if the person does not want to desist from the act. Try to remove emotions and be objective about it.

Like I said earlier, there are scriptures provided already on the ways this was handled and it involved the person(s) being excommunicated eventually. So possibly you may have better alternatives which the church could have pursued instead.

3 Likes

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by s3nn2x(m): 1:34pm On Dec 30, 2013
^^^^
I believe she was warned.

Anyway, I also noticed that when a brethren sees another brethren sinning, instead of telling that person that what he is doing is wrong; People tend to report such person to other people. Leading it to get to the knowledge of the church leadership without the culprit knowing, the next thing we know is that such a person would be disciplined.
Also, what happens to the excommunicated person? Is there provision for followup?
Because, I noticed that after someone is excommunicated, the church forgets about such a person. The church does not bother to find out about the wellbeing of such a person. Is that what the bible wanted us to do? To totally give up on a person? How will the person learn?

I am not against disciplinary measures, but I think excommunication is quite extreme.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Greaaat: 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
Please don't judge me and I won't judge you,if you love me let it be beautiful
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by DollyParton1(f): 1:50pm On Dec 30, 2013
yes it is right
When a church member begins to preach heresy, and refuses to repent after being warned, I think it is appropriate for the church to excommunicate him or her.
This is a measure for preventing him/her from corrupting the church members, especially the new believers who are still trying to get their spiritual balance.

But in the case of the OP's, excommunication was too extreme. The best the church could have done is to relieve her of any post she holds in the church while they admonish her and let her realize what she's doing wrong, id she doesn't yield, she should be left alone to attend the church only while they keep praying for her soul.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by nekaa(f): 1:55pm On Dec 30, 2013
I thought the church was suppose to be like our refuge, home for all, I thought the God we serve still looks out for us even when we have bin unfaithful, I thought our religion has asked us nt to condemn anyone... so if Christianity and the church are still these things, they are nt suppose to excommunicate members for any reason.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by tpia5: 1:59pm On Dec 30, 2013
The thing is there are plenty of churches which cater to various lifestyle choices.

If your current church does not agree with certain decisions you make as per lifestyle, then imo is it not more expedient for you to go to a church where you will fit in better?

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by passionate88: 1:59pm On Dec 30, 2013
YES

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Alenkakent(m): 2:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Excommunicate? Like sending out of church?
Well, that depends on d severity of the offense...
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by tpia5: 2:00pm On Dec 30, 2013
Alenkakent: Was here

Post reported.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by homesteady(m): 2:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
This topic just came up while we are still arguing about cossy the indecency-star going to church!!
Why shouldn't they Excommunicate erring members? Is it until they start influencing other church members?
Haven't you heard of this saying that "bad company corrupts good manners"? Isn't it better to remove the unrepentant bad egg immediately before it spoils the other eggs?
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Prowizy2(m): 2:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by amazing2013: 2:02pm On Dec 30, 2013
Absolutely. It is necessary for discipline and serves as a deterrent to others.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by mikael78: 2:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
Lol!!! Church goers!! Let her port to the nearest religion e.g butt raisers,hinduism or ifa et al!! But what I would'v still prefered is for the church to send such members to go and evangelize @ borno ,as their punishment!! Thank you
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Rawpidgin(m): 2:03pm On Dec 30, 2013
the only thing i fit talk be say jesus christ nor pursue we sinners commot from body like flies, rather he he take us as him best friends
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by ibukunobi: 2:04pm On Dec 30, 2013
@GOSHEN
I WANT YOU GUYS TO READ THE SCRIPTURE BELOW AND TELL US WHAT YOU UNDERSTAND THERE, MAY BE THIS WILL HELP THE CATHOLIC POPE TO CORRECT HIS EMBRACE OF THE GAY PRIESTS.
2 COR. 5:8-13. EMPHASIS ON VERSE 12,13

8 Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth. 9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

8 Therefore let us keep the Festival, not with the old yeast, the yeast of malice and wickedness, but with bread without yeast, the bread of sincerity and truth. 9 I have written you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people-- 10 not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral, or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters. In that case you would have to leave this world. 11 But now I am writing you that you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. 12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. "Expel the wicked man from among you."

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by amazing2013: 2:05pm On Dec 30, 2013
truthislight:

Disfellowshiping helps keep the congregation clean.

Satan was sent out of heaven to keep it clean, so, the congregation has to be kept clean, and the bible supports it and the congregation is to be protected also.

What that is not supproted is your own personal opinion.

Your kind of opinion is why christianity has turned to houses of prostitutes today.

Were you told that it is all kind of people that must enter the kingdom of God ?

Your opinion does not count, but rather what is written in the bible counts, or, do you have biblical evidences for your stance ?

Yes, christ asked for forgiveness, but unrepentant sinners are to be sent out, and that is what the bible teaches.

Peace.
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by nkemjikaasunci: 2:07pm On Dec 30, 2013
why do we christians always seem to add and subtract from the bible ?...if a member errs from the faith , rebuke him,chastise him ...and as fellow workers in Gods vineyard...we bring him back to the lord....excommunicating him only leads to more problems ...makes him feel not needed in life
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by DollyParton1(f): 2:08pm On Dec 30, 2013
nekaa: I thought the church was suppose to be like our refuge, home for all, I thought the God we serve still looks out for us even when we have bin unfaithful, I thought our religion has asked us nt to condemn anyone... so if Christianity and the church are still these things, they are nt suppose to excommunicate members for any reason.

Yes, the church is a place of refuge, a place for all, body of Christ bounded together with love.
We all have responsibilities as church members, you dont expect a choir master caught in adultery to still retain the post, he will surely be relieved, and banned from singing, thats a form of discipline for his responsibilty.
What then do u do with someone who is a minister in the church and the members looks up, but decides to go preaching or living against the doctrine the church upholds? You warn him, and pray for him. What if he doesnt listen and doesnt repent? Do u still allow him around, so that he can cause the downfall of other members? I think its safe to tell him give the church some space.

1 Like

Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by Nobody: 2:09pm On Dec 30, 2013
why excommunicate when Jesu told us to forgive people,and by the way,when did the church turn to judge,haba pastor,take it easy,you no be God na.
If men were God,who would survive?
Re: Is It Right For A Church To Excommunicate An Erring Member? by DollyParton1(f): 2:10pm On Dec 30, 2013
nkemjika asunci: why do we christians always seem to add and subtract from the bible ?...if a member errs from the faith , rebuke him,chastise him ...and as fellow workers in Gods vineyard...we bring him back to the lord....excommunicating him only leads to more problems ...makes him feel not needed in life
There are instances where excommunication was implied in the bible.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Was the Love between King David and Jonathan Homosexual? / Five Worth Knowing Important Facts About Palm Sunday. / A World Without God And Death of Civilization!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.