Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,802 members, 7,817,325 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 10:20 AM

Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? (36857 Views)

A Nigerian With Three First Class degrees / Five Degrees That Employers Don't Want / Online University BSc. Degrees In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sokarsenal(m): 11:57am On Jan 03, 2014
sweet-tease:

No offense but you still have the when i grow up i want to be a doctor/lawyer and the likes kinda approach where kids/teenagers pick the most common profession they have basic ideas about what it entails and believe it is the real deal. Back then, things like science lab tech, business administration, nautical/aeronautical science, Pharmacy, nursing, biochemistry, microbiology, computer science, etc hardly comes to mind. Am surprised you forgot to include banking and finance, smiley it was really common amongst us then or maybe the bank retrenchments have changed thngs.
Btw, you should find out more about afterschool life of the professions you listed, especially 5 and 6.
i personally dont believe any course is 'USELESS' in the right sense of the word....but what the OP is saying is a no-brainer.....For instance......I am a first class mechanical engineering graduate of UNILAG and you are a first class FISHERIES gradaute of UNILAG....who has the best prospects of making a career.....or whose I.Q. Would even be higher.....ASSUMING we both have no connections
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by fynb1(m): 11:58am On Jan 03, 2014
Don't be mayopic, abt ur research on courses in the university. I studied human kinetics in the university of portharcourt, and am very happy I did because its a very lucrative course. The career prospects are: Fitness trainer, Gym instructor, Sports council chairman, refree,sports coach,commissional nd minister of sports, NFF, and so on. And u can as well own ur own fitness gym, or a sports shop etc.

3 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by kstyle2(m): 12:04pm On Jan 03, 2014
Forestry,human kinetics(jumpology),fishery
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sokarsenal(m): 12:05pm On Jan 03, 2014
Ifyikillz:

Another dull person
So wat if am studying soil science??
What did your president study, even yar adua, both the current vc in my school and d immediate past vc are both from agricultural related fields, and so many other people too,
Are you in this age?
Cos if you are you wont ask me such a question

I should list mine, list what? Cos there's nothing to list.. I know a lot of people who studied so many courses dat u didn't list there and they are very successful...... Medicine, law, engineering, lol good courses, but u sounded like my illiterate grandpa
dont go about insulting people....no one is insulting your course.......ANd please we shouldnt judge ourselves by the EXCEPTION .....i have an uncle who graduated with a 3rd class in engineering some years ago.....and another with a first class in engineering....both graduated around the same time....the one with a 3rd is so much WEALTHIER than the one with a FIRST CLASS.....so what you mean is because of that i would go to school to study to get a 3rd class?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by samilo88(m): 12:05pm On Jan 03, 2014
With the way the country is presently, all you need is to get a first degree. Gone are the days when you study a course and end up practising what you study. We now see engineers in bank and Bsc graduates with good degree resorting to teaching. Just pray God opens doors of opportunities for you when you graduate irrespective of the course you studying. Back then in school we used to feel proud about the course we were studying, but after leaving school we realised that in Nigeria, your course of study doesn't really matters. It boils down to God and the man know man factor.

5 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by naijacutee(f): 12:06pm On Jan 03, 2014
My question is that if Universities offer such a large variety of courses, why are many graduates short of skills? If Universities offered Building & Carpentry for example, why are the houses (including big houses) built to embarrassingly poor standards? Terrible paint jobs, lines that are not straight, tiles not set properly etc?

2 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by HarryPotter22: 12:08pm On Jan 03, 2014
When I was in school, I assumed wrongly that courses like Adult Education and Guidance and Counseling are pointless. Now however, I'm wiser. The university is a place that enlighten your mind in a particular field of study. So no course is useless.

My advice to anyone that is still in school is that whatever the course you are studying, try as much as possible to make a 2:1 in it, that is if you are planning to get a job after graduating. If you like, study the best courses once u come out with a 2:2 or lower grade, your chances of getting a job drastically reduces. This is because most available vacancies has 2:1 has their minimum requirement.

2 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by fenzchukz: 12:11pm On Jan 03, 2014
D truth is dat most of dis courses aint worth studying for instance wat is Animal husbandery,,, wats human Kinectics.. To mention buh a few,,,, its just to get a degree nd after den dats all u go open a shop
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by FemiNagasaki(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2014
No degree is useless. It depends on your interests, passion, determination, etc to study such a course. @OP, are you going to the university/institute just for its sake? You should have aim or objectives for such.
I am a mathematician, I study math coz it's a passion, my interest and that is how it's suppose to be.

2 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by NDprudent(m): 12:12pm On Jan 03, 2014
1st of all, most undagraduates re just in skul 2 get d paper (degree cert.), afta which dey run dia individual businesses or get employed in establishments already set aside for dem. It soundd so crazy wen my friend who sudies anatomy told me dat he was workin in a construction firm, n months later he said he was wit an estate management firm in abu dhabi.

D issue is dis- d system in dis country is so bad dat doze hu study nice courses don't even hav an avenue 2 practice in dia fields. For instance, I studied biological sciences n m abt goin 4 msc in genetic engineering/molecular biology(both research based courses) buh dis country hardly encourages research....buh dat doesn't mean doze courses aint appreciated in more advanced countries.

My point is dis- every course has its use, its left 4 u 2 find where ure needd n fix urself in.

My advice to doze beefing- u can still get ur points tru our skulls when u talk politely. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by omusiliyu(m): 12:13pm On Jan 03, 2014
Para-medic courses like physiology and anatomy are useless when we have medicine and surgery that cover the 2.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by donpope1(m): 12:13pm On Jan 03, 2014
Leebliss13: Imagine,s0me0ne studying igb0 languague?
you are a retar.d...ask Google how much they pay their Igbo language translator..

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by phredy: 12:14pm On Jan 03, 2014
is lyk na shit de do me like dis o,wher is d Toilet pls?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Afrok(m): 12:15pm On Jan 03, 2014
To me no course is a waste... I went to open an account in a bank with my school ID card 2years ago, d man who attended to me saw biochemistry on my ID card nd told me he studied biochemistry too back in school. Tell me, wot az Biochemistry got to do with banking nd financing or accounting? If U look deeply, u'll see dt ur course of study does not matter 100%.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by emmable(m): 12:15pm On Jan 03, 2014
International Relations? Pls dn't tell me that!!
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by FemiNagasaki(m): 12:16pm On Jan 03, 2014
NDprudent: 1st of all, most undagraduates re just in skul 2 get d paper (degree cert.), afta which dey run dia individual businesses or get employed in establishments already set aside for dem. It soundd so crazy wen my friend who sudies anatomy told me dat he was workin in a construction firm, n months later he said he was wit an estate management firm in abu dhabi.

D issue is dis- d system in dis country is so bad dat doze hu study nice courses don't even hav an avenue 2 practice in dia fields. For instance, I studied biological sciences n m abt goin 4 msc in genetic engineering/molecular biology(both research based courses) buh dis country hardly encourages research....buh dat doesn't mean doze courses aint appreciated in more advanced countries.

My point is dis- every course has its use, its left 4 u 2 find where ure needd n fix urself in.

My advice to doze beefing- u can still get ur points tru our skulls when u talk politely. Thanks
Oh yes! In the Nigerian system if you apply for a degree chances are you might get another instead
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by zeelo2014: 12:16pm On Jan 03, 2014
Political science
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 12:18pm On Jan 03, 2014
sokarsenal: i personally dont believe any course is 'USELESS' in the right sense of the word....but what the OP is saying is a no-brainer.....For instance......I am a first class mechanical engineering graduate of UNILAG and you are a first class FISHERIES gradaute of UNILAG....who has the best prospects of making a career.....or whose I.Q. Would even be higher.....ASSUMING we both have no connections
Exactly! It all revolves around "ceteris paribus";while it's true that no Course is useless per se,if one is able to maximize the Potentials therein,the Fact does not change that some Courses just have much better Prospects than others. Law for instance;the Broad Nature of the Study coupled with the high Demand in Society makes it a very viable Course to study,as opposed to local Government Studies(#NoHate).

I know some Lawyers are far from Successful,but it's not a large Percentage;personally,I don't know ANY unsuccessful Lawyer,I've heard there are rag-robed Lawyers hanging around Courts,but I've not seen one such...and since I'm a Law Student,I guess that means they aren't too common.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Prec1ous(m): 12:21pm On Jan 03, 2014
sokarsenal: i personally dont believe any course is 'USELESS' in the right sense of the word....but what the OP is saying is a no-brainer.....For instance......I am a first class mechanical engineering graduate of UNILAG and you are a first class FISHERIES gradaute of UNILAG....who has the best prospects of making a career.....or whose I.Q. Would even be higher.....ASSUMING we both have no connections

You got it all wrong bro. I.Q is not based on what you studied, but how broad you can make your thinking by reading and gaining knowledge about other field outside your course of study.

Do not underate a course when you do not know what it entails, it depicts a low I.Q.

So fisheries or mechanical engineering, it depends on the individual.

P.S
I am a student of fisheries at UNIBEN, though it seemed like a mistake at first, but now I know that what I become is not what I graduate with, but what graduates out of me.

Change your orientation and have a nice day!

http://www.facebook.com/youinitiative

5 Likes

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by MRL1MPoPoTM: 12:24pm On Jan 03, 2014
Abu Mikey:

Building angry

is building a course ni? u must be high on methamphetamine.
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 12:24pm On Jan 03, 2014
bigx: Everything is Worth Studying

Nigerians though only think in terms of Job and Salary it would Bring

Probably that's why we never discover anything tangible or have any viable research institutions

Tell dem
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by lexydobo(m): 12:25pm On Jan 03, 2014
no knowledge is wasted cuz i study c.r.s @u.i
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sokarsenal(m): 12:25pm On Jan 03, 2014
don.pope:
you are a retar.d...ask Google how much they pay their Igbo language translator..
and how many 'igbo translation' jobs are there in google or any other firm?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Rapmoney(m): 12:26pm On Jan 03, 2014
jaryeh: I don't think any course is useless,but some courses give a slimmer chance in the labour market compared to others. These courses are mostly imposed on the students as a result of their not passing the cut off for their preferred course. IMO,any course apart from the ones below will most likely be among them.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
6. Mass communication/Languages.
7. Agriculture.

Now I see why so many people go to higher institutions without knowing what
they are going there to do. Who says you have studied a useless course if your
Course of study is not among the ones you listed. You are far behind, too ancient
and wasted!

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 03, 2014
bbz93:

Agric Econs and Extension? international relations? What course are you studying please?
I said it b4, dis niqqa doesn't know what he is saying
KID
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by tmtech: 12:29pm On Jan 03, 2014
naijacutee: My question is that if Universities offer such a large variety of courses, why are many graduates short of skills? If Universities offered Building & Carpentry for example, why are the houses (including big houses) built to embarrassingly poor standards? Terrible paint jobs, lines that are not straight, tiles not set properly etc?
The answer to ur question is simple, most of the uni graduates don't practise wat they study. They seek for job in banks and other like minitries....
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by mrphysics(m): 12:30pm On Jan 03, 2014
[quote
author=jaryeh] I don't think any course is useless,but some courses give
a slimmer chance in the labour market compared to others. These courses
are mostly imposed on the students as a result of their not passing the
cut off for their preferred course. IMO,any course apart from the ones
below will most likely be among them.
1. Medicine/Surgery.
2. Engineering.
3. Accounting.
4. Economics.
5. Law.
6. Mass communication/Languages.
7. Agriculture.[/quote]
why do u tink as if u hav nt passed thru d 4 corners of d university @ all. well this is NIGERIA, LOW DATA RATE AND ANYONE CAN SAY ANYTHING HE OR SHE WANTS. as for me my GEOPHYSICS, INDUSTRIAL PHYSICS OR CHEMISTRY, ASTRO PHYSICS AND SOLAR ENERGY PHYSICS IS MORE IMPORTANT TO ME DAN D AFOREMENTIONED, goodluck read zoology dat u tink its nt important, wat is most important is DO U FULFILL UR PURPOSE ON UR COURSE OF STUDY, to me "what on earth is not PHYSICS"

1 Like

Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by Nobody: 12:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
sokarsenal: dont go about insulting people....no one is insulting your course.......ANd please we shouldnt judge ourselves by the EXCEPTION .....i have an uncle who graduated with a 3rd class in engineering some years ago.....and another with a first class in engineering....both graduated around the same time....the one with a 3rd is so much WEALTHIER than the one with a FIRST CLASS.....so what you mean is because of that i would go to school to study to get a 3rd class?
I insulted him, my bad
Buh i don't understand ur comment, did u read my post?
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by MRL1MPoPoTM: 12:33pm On Jan 03, 2014
735 i:
Just go to a Federal University and get a 1st class or a very good 2.1
If you like study; Zoology or Wildlife; with a 1st class you will get a good job weeks after your passing out from NYSC.

The man who sees the future ..
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by stocksnr: 12:34pm On Jan 03, 2014
Why is sumbody studyn religion
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by sokarsenal(m): 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
Prec1ous:

You got it all wrong bro. I.Q is not based on what you studied, but how broad you can make your thinking by reading and gaining knowledge about other field outside your course of study.

Do not underate a course when you do not know what it entails, it depicts a low I.Q.

So fisheries or mechanical engineering, it depends on the individual.

P.S
I am a student of fisheries at UNIBEN, though it seemed like a mistake at first, but now I know that what I become is not what I graduate with, but what graduates out of me.

Change your orientation and have a nice day!

http://www.facebook.com/youinitiative
thanks bro.......i was definitely sure the I.Q. Part would bring the argument you used.....ya course of study does not depict I.Q. To most extent........i read vast my dear and i had a girlfriend who studied fishery back then in school......i use to read a lot of her textbooks and materials with her......i cant imagine how the both of us would right a quantitative aptitude test or a numerical reasoning test (which FYI is an I.Q test basis) and she would perform better when her course doesnt stress her I.Q as a mechanical design course would AS the other comment said......it is all about maximising potentials 'certeris paribus'..........and yes you didnt have to state you are a fishery student......i would have known with your reaction to my comment
Re: Useless, cringe-worthy Degrees? by MRL1MPoPoTM: 12:37pm On Jan 03, 2014
fynb1: Don't be mayopic, abt ur research on courses in the university. I studied human kinetics in the university of portharcourt, and am very happy I did because its a very lucrative course. The career prospects are: Fitness trainer, Gym instructor, Sports council chairman, refree,sports coach,commissional nd minister of sports, NFF, and so on. And u can as well own ur own fitness gym, or a sports shop etc.

Damn easy when said ..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

How Uniben Students Fetch Water In Hostel..lwkmd! / 4 Lesbian Students Expelled From Kebbi State College Of Science And Technology / Biography Of Yekemi Otaru Appointed University Chancellor In Scotland (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.